Start by marking “...And Now Miguel” as Want to Read:
...And Now Miguel

...And Now Miguel

He wanted to be treated like a man, not a child.

Every summer the men of the Chavez family go on a long and difficult sheep drive to the mountains. All the men, that is, except for Miguel. All year long, twelve-year-old Miguel tries to prove that he, too, is up to the challenge--that he, too is ready to take the sheep into his beloved Sangre de Cristo Mountains.
Published April 4th 1984 by HarperCollins (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about ...And Now Miguel, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) If it's her first lamb, she might reject it. She might not have enough milk, or be too weak to feed it after a difficult birth. Sheep that have twins…moreIf it's her first lamb, she might reject it. She might not have enough milk, or be too weak to feed it after a difficult birth. Sheep that have twins may push one away, knowing there's not enough milk for both. Or she may be aware that there's something wrong with it, for example if it was born with a defect, animals can sense these things and she will drive it away rather than invest in caring for it.(less)

Benji Martin
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was impressed with this book. I came into it expecting to dislike it. I mean how can a book about a shepherd family be that exciting? But there wasn't a moment of the book that I really didn't like. I totally got Miguel's desire to grow up fast and to be a part of the annual trip to the mountains. I was entertained by his constant scheming to obtain his desire. Things went well somedays, but somedays everything fell apart, like when he fell into the wool bag, and was too embarrassed to call ou ...more
Aj Sterkel
Mar 31, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
The Good: So . . . it’s a book about sheep? Okay. When I was a kid, I loved animal books, and I might have liked learning about sheep. The story gives the reader a glimpse into the life of rural New Mexican shepherds. Miguel has a strong bond with his family. He’s eager to grow up and become a shepherd like his father, uncles, and brothers. I always like seeing functional families in children’s literature. They’re becoming rare these days. Miguel comes from a big family, and I understand why he would ...more
Cheryl
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure that I would have enjoyed this when I was a child, but now I can appreciate the craftsmanship, the themes, etc. The details about raising sheep are interesting, and those I would definitely enjoyed even more as a child. Also, terrific choice to introduce us to the traditions of this way of life, giving us a sense that this timeless historical fiction... and then revealing that it's actually almost contemporary to its publication.

I do have to admit that I'm not fond of th
Kimbolimbo
Oct 10, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: All ages
Shelves: read-in-2008
A friend told me this book was a must-read. I saw it on the library shelf one day while browsing and checked it out. Reading was kind of painful. I didn't really like it that much. Sure I learned all about sheep herding, never really gave sheep herding much thought before. I had a hard time with the way the book was written and how slow it moved along.
Christopher
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: newbery-books
Four authors have won the Newbery Medal twice; Joseph Krumgold is one of them. Yet while I got Onion John's 1960 win, I was admittedly befuddled by ...And Now Miguel. It's not a horrible book by any means, but compared to the two succeeding winners (The Wheel on the School and Carry On, Mr. Bowditch), it clearly comes up short.

The final few chapters have surprising insight, but, alas, most of the novel was a chore to get through. A paragraph about the smell of sheep goes something li
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jul 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: newbery
Miguel wants desperately to go with the men on the long sheep drive in the summer, but his father thinks he is too young. Miguel does everything he can to prove himself to his father, but his father's answer is still no. Finally, Miguel resorts to praying to the saint, begging the saint to find a way for Miguel to go on the drive.
Miguel does not anticipate the consequences of his prayer. His father changes his mind, allowing Miguel to go, but at what cost, for what reasons?

This book
Jill
May 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
I liked this more than I thought I would, but not much. It's by the same author as Onion John, which started off great and fizzled out. Joseph Krumgold was the first author to win two Newbery awards.

"The truth is, to get Pedro out of bed it is necessary to pull him by the feet, and let him fall on the floor, and then bend the mattress in half so there's no more bed anymore he can get back into."

"A secret of only one person after a while gets too hard to keep. To make it r
Kathi
May 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Notes:

Cool facts listed about author Joseph Krumgold and the documentaries that he wrote and produced after a lucrative film career. Although And Now Miguel is certainly a worthwhile book, I believe it would not survive the competition of the 21st century. Also, the Newbery Board’s opinion might possibly have been swayed by admiration for facts noted in the first sentence above.

Things I liked about the book:
1. Miguel himself
----a. very good at heart, and also reali
Ann
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This one hovered between three and four stars for me, but I finally decided it earned the last star because it really was well written. I consistently felt like I should have been enjoying the book more because it the sort of thing that I generally like and was well done at the same time. I guess sometimes one is simply not in the mood for a particular book, and you shouldn't hold that against the book.

For genre I marked both historical and realistic. The book was originally written
Christine Calabrese
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is great Catholic and Christian Children's Literature, there are all kinds of themes running through it.
1. Sheep: Learning about sheep for a child will be an excellent reference and backdrop to the many metaphors of sheep, shepherds, the Good Shepherd, Lamb of God, etc. in the bible.
2. Prayer: Prayer in a child's eye's is often a wish and here it is referred to as a wish, not prayer, yet at the end children will get a small glimpse into the Our Father and why we say, "Thy w
Juli Anna
Dec 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm giving this 3 stars because I somehow can't decide between 2 stars and 4 stars.

I really loved certain aspects of this book: the setting, the pared-down narrative, the archetypal symbolism, and some of the characters. I even loved the voice at certain points, the little asides and observations Miguel makes about his family and community.

However, I couldn't love this book all the way because I couldn't shake the feeling that the author was somehow mocking Miguel and his
Emily
May 07, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: newbery
I have never, ever wanted to know this much about sheep...ever! This book is about Miguel, a young teenage boy who wants so badly to go with the men in his family on their annual trip to the Sangre de Cristo mountains with the sheep. I didn't really ever care whether he got to or not. I think I would have preferred getting a root canal to reading one more sentence about "will he or won't he?!?" The only good thing I can say about this book is that it's very authentic in terms of the way a child ...more
Kristen
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: newbery-winners
Newbery Medal Winner--1954.

There is a lot of information about sheep. Like...a lot. In detail.

There was all this build-up for a journey Miguel has been waiting and waiting to go on...you think that maybe THEN we'll stop talking about shearing sheep and marking sheep and breeding sheep and get to some excitement.

Miguel leaves on his trip on page 228. There are only 245 pages.

So...yeah. Just a lot of sheep.
Carl Nelson
May 20, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: newbery-winners
1954 Newbery Medal recipient.

3.5 stars. Slow, thoughtful, and philosophical. I enjoyed it, even with its long descriptions of Miguel's life tending sheep. "…and now Miguel" ends very well, with the last 60 or so pages being quite good.

However, this is another example of a Newbery winner that adults think kids should read rather than one kids will actually read and get something from.
Wendy
Aug 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: newbery
Good, but not as good as this author's other Newbery winner, Onion John. This author really understood kids.
Jen
I can sum this book up in one word: sheep. It's about sheep. If you're dying to know how to run a sheep farm, this is the book for you. Otherwise, I'd give it a pass.
Eireanne
It says I read this, but I can't for the life of me remember :S
R.Friend
Feb 18, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Probably the first book I found myself skipping through. I don't know why, but nothing about this interested me at all, and I had the worst time getting through it for a book report.
Jenny - Book Sojourner
I chose this for my middle school literature group because of its diversity and it was a Newbery Award winner. I liked the premise of Miguel's conflict within the sheep raising and herding Chavez family, and that this was based off of a family Krumgold interviewed. However, the story itself was extremely slow in places with repetitiveness within chapters. I found myself skimming often. Probably could have trimmed 50-100 pages and I would have liked it much more. Because the coming-of-age story i ...more
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
This wasn't what I thought it would be. It was also definitely better than I expected.

A bit old fashioned, I'm not sure if the portrayal is something that Mexican-Americans would like or not. Generally, it was a positive portrayal, but, some of the wording is intentionally stilted. Not as bad as like when Native Americans talk in a 1950's movie, but, still you can tell it's there.

Other than that, nothing objectionable. Fairly religious I suppose, but, from a kid's point of view.

Miguel is a bo
Tamikan
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: newbery
I did not enjoy this. I actually liked the parts about sheep husbandry best and found Miguel really annoying. I just didn't care. Why was it so important that he go up to the mountains this year? Get over it kid. I think it would have been more enjoyable if it was called "...And Now Maria" and it was about a girl wanting to be a sheep farmer instead of doing housework.
Debbie
Dec 30, 2013 added it
54 1954: ...And Now Miguel by Joseph Krumgold (Crowell) (checked out)

7/13/13 (245 pages)

This book was written by the same author as Onion John. As it turns out, the books were meant to be two of a trilogy of coming-of-age books for young boys. Knowing that added to the meaning of the book.

Miguel is a 12 year old boy living in New Mexico. His family are sheepherders and his goal is to be invited to go with the men and older brothers to the summer sheep camp. Th
Larissa Langsather
Feb 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: newbery
This book is about a boy named Miguel who has a wish to go to the Sangre de Cristo Mountains with his father, brother, and uncles to take care of of the sheep during the summer.

Miguel is a very thoughtful, hardworking boy. He wants to be noticed. I loved his brother Pedro and little sister Faustina. For a little while his father and uncles seemed really tough for me to like but I warmed up to them at the end.

I liked this book. It started off slow and I wasn't sure what to think about it at fir
Carin
Feb 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Miguel is living in New Mexico, in a family of shepherds. Every summer, to give their pastures a break and to give the sheep a break from the heat, the men in the family drive the sheep up to the Sangre de Cristo Mountains. Miguel is twelve, and thinks he is old enough to go too, but his father disagrees. Miguel tries many times to convince him, coming up with plans and taking advantages of opportunities, such as finding a small bunch of sheep who had wandered away from his brother, to no avail. ...more
Jackie
Newbery Award: 1954

Miguel Chavez, 12, wants nothing more than to become one of the men in his family and drive the sheep from their winter home on the ranch to the Sangre de Cristo Mountains for their summer time home. He idolizes his big brothers, but none more so than Gabriel, who is good at everything. He prays to the village's patron saint, San Ysidro who is also the patron saint of farmers to make his dream come true. He watches, listens, and learns everything he can to make his
Antof9
I'd really prefer to give this 2.5 stars, but as that's not one of the choices and it definitely isn't a 3, here you go with 2.

I'm behind on book reading, book reviewing, library fines, and work, so I'm not really going to write a review. I'm just going to say that this had the potential to be a great book. The story itself is good, and interesting, and sort of charming, and I could definitely relate to Miguel. However, the grammar choices were ... well, disturbing and possibly even
Jon-michael
Dec 15, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The title of my book was and now miguel. The author of my story is Joseph Krumgold. this book or story is based on a true story. The main charecters of my story are miguel who is not patient and gabriel who is the totall opposite of miguel, he is patient and more reliable. i think the theme of my story was to never get your hopes up.
Daniel
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, children
I've carried this book around with me since I was a child. It was a gift and I always meant to read it but never took the time. Now as an adult I set out to read it and what I found was so interesting I'm glad I rediscovered this gem. There's no surprise that the author won the Newberry Award for this book.

The over arching theme of the book is that young Miguel is trying to answer the big question "who is Miguel?" The author shows us the journey of a 12 yr old boy living on his parents sheep ra
Kevin cnca
Sep 10, 2008 rated it did not like it
and now miguel is set during the 1950s, in those times it was lonely , a little later after the great depression. this story is based on a hard working family tha
Christina
Apr 24, 2013 rated it liked it
The first thing I noticed about this book was the sentence structure. The way the author arranges the words is in a way that one would expect to hear someone who spoke Spanish as a first language to speak English. I was surprised when I found out the author was a Jewish man from the East Coast, and I thought he did well with the consistency of the language patterns. However, because I am ignorant of the real speaking patterns of native Spanish speakers, I wonder just how authentic they are or i ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Invincible Louisa: The Story of the Author of Little Women
  • A Visit to William Blake's Inn: Poems for Innocent and Experienced Travelers
  • Young Fu of the Upper Yangtze
  • It's Like This, Cat
In addition to being a renowned author of books for young readers, Joseph Quincy Krumgold was a scriptwriter for several well-known movies, including "Seven Miles From Alcatraz" (1942) and "Dream No More" (1953). While he did not have a great number of books published over the span of his writing career, Joseph Krumgold became the first author to win the John Newbery Medal for two different books ...more