Start by marking “The Infernals (Samuel Johnson, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Infernals (Samuel Johnson, #2)

The Infernals

(Samuel Johnson #2)

Samuel Johnson is in trouble. Not only is he in love with the wrong girl, but the demon Mrs. Abernathy is seeking revenge on him for his part in foiling the invasion of Earth by the forces of evil. She wants to get her claws on Samuel, and when Samuel and his faithful dachshund, Boswell, are pulled through a portal into the dark realm, she gets her chance.

PLEASE NOTE: This
Published October 18th 2011 by Atria Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Infernals, please sign up.
Joann Carol I suppose you could but it would be more easily understood if read following Gates of Hell. There are many quirky characters to follow and character…moreI suppose you could but it would be more easily understood if read following Gates of Hell. There are many quirky characters to follow and character development is important in the series. (less)

carol.
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: young at heart and old in brain
Think The Phantom Tollbooth crossed with Johannes Cabal The Necromancer. Literate, dark humor, a straightforward plot interrupted with sidebars, friendship and the kind of world where the very worse thing is the absence of anything.

This time when the Hadron Collider is turned on, “the scientists had done a great deal of work to ensure that the whole portal to Hell business would never, ever happen again. Promise. Pinkie promise. Pinkie promise with sugar on top.” Mrs. Abernathy intends to use t
Phrynne
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good but not as good as the first book in the series. There was a lot of explanation in this one, a lot of scene setting, and not as much action. Still there was a great deal of humour which may or may not appeal to the target demographic of children! I think much of it was very adult humour and I enjoyed it a lot:)
Very light, very readable and generally just good fun. Be aware though that I am a long time John Connolly fan and would probably give his shopping lists good ratings:)
Brandon
Oct 18, 2011 rated it liked it
In the preceding novel, The Gates, Samuel Johnson and his beloved dog, Boswell, managed to stop the invasion of Earth from the mighty forces of Hell. The defeated leader of Satan's army, Mrs. Abernathy (a sexless demon with a fondness for women's clothing), is desperately trying to get back into the good graces of The Great Malevolence while also planning her eventual revenge on the young boy and his meddling dog.

Despite Connolly leaving the ending of the first book pretty open ended for a poten
Stephanie Swint
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Samuel's success at closing the gate to Hell didn't leave him quite in the position one would hope for. Instead of being hailed a conquering hero for sussing out the plot and rallying people to the cause, they quietly believe he bears some responsibility. They have done all they can to forget that demons descended on Biddlecombe. When they see Samuel, however, they remember. This makes him partially to blame in their thoughts. If you have not read 'The Gates' it's the wonderful start to the tale ...more
Melki
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
The following message is brought to you by Spiggit's Old Peculiar. Now proven to cause only TEMPORARY blindness. Ask for Spiggit's - The Beer with the Biohazard Symbol!

Yay! Mrs. Abernathy is back! Her teeth are still sharp and pointy, her tentacles still drip with slime, and she burns with a passion to destroy the one who kept her from taking over the earth for her master, The Great Malevolence.

After a failed attempt to open a doorway from Hell using that Large Hadron Collider thingy, the crew o
Mike (the Paladin)
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I know these are considered YA but I really have reservations about giving these to a very young person. As I often do I suggest that parents read this first. Then they can decide if their "youth" is mature enough for the book.

Okay that said, this is a humorous book. I don't think I appreciated as much as I should have as I was a bit depressed. There are some very funny sections here. (As in the first book, the footnotes are among the funniest parts).

So, follow up to the attempted invasion of ea
Woodge
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Samuel Johnson, they young boy who was the hero of The Gates, returns in this follow-up story. The arch-demon from Hell, Mrs. Abernathy, is nursing a grudge and wants revenge against Samuel and his dog Boswell. Naturally things get out-of-hand and four truculent dwarves also get involved. This is fun, funny stuff complete with footnotes and can be read very quickly. Still, The Gates is much better. Still again, I'd read a third installment in a heartbeat.
Mauoijenn
Excellent follow up from The Gates. Sam & Boswell still have it to survive Hell and to get out of the clutches of death sort of speak. Loved this and looking forward to the last book in this trilogy.
Mike (the Paladin)
I know these are considered YA but I really have reservations about giving these to a very young person. As I often do I suggest that parents read this first. Then they can decide if the8ir "youth" is mature enough for the book.

So, follow up to the attempted invasion of e
Debra
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Well, I really struggled with this book. I think it is safe to say I am not a John Connolly fan. The hapter notes were fun but I just could not get into this book. This book is the second in a series butg I think it could stand alone on it's own had you not read the first in the series (I have not read the first book in the series) There were some funny parts but for the most part, I was just not interested in this book. The story did not appeal to me.
Athena
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of zany humor
Recommended to Athena by: Carol.
A second and equally terrific entry in this series. Frankly I like the British title better: Hell's Bells. (Apparently the publishing world doesn't think the fragile American reading audience can handle a book with 'hell' in the title ...)

Helluva read! yeah, couldn't stop myself from that one ...
Dyah
3.5 round up to 4 stars
Lea

This continuation of the story begun in John Connolly's The Gates finds young Samuel Johnson and his dachshund, Boswell, once again fighting the legions of hell. This time, Samuel and Boswell have been pulled into hell itself by the demon Ba'al, who now lives as Mrs. Abernathy (having taken a liking to doilies, flowers and kittens while living as a woman on earth in the previous book).

Mrs. Abernathy has fallen out of favour after having her plans thwarted by Samuel and his friend, the demon Nurd
Jason
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2014
3 Stars

The Infernals, book number two in the Samuel Johnson vs. the Devil series is a great continuation to started in The Gates. A young boy named Samuel and his faithful Dachshund Boswell must once again fight to keep the horde of Hell from invading our home.

This book is different from the first in many regards. It takes place almost exclusively in Hell. There is very little character development. The cast is much smaller. The world a bit bleaker. It is also filled with some cool demons. Scary
Jim
Jul 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, humorous
The Infernals: A Samuel Johnson Tale is the second in a series of tales aimed at what I guess is the Young Adult audience. Well, I'm an old adult [64 years young] and I enjoyed the Hell out of this book. It probably would help if you read the first volume - The Gates - because, thankfully, many of the characters are back. In this outing Samuel and his dachshund Boswell are pulled into Hell by Mrs. Abernathy, who also manages to snag two police officers, an ice cream man and his truck and four an ...more
Libby
2.5 - I enjoyed The Gates and was hoping for improvement in the sequel but was disappointed. Connolly is a highly imaginative and skilled author but this book was just okay - it wandered around too much. I did appreciate the idea of revamping Dante's journey through Hell for a young boy - and I still love the main character Samuel Johnson and his dog Boswell.

I listened to the audio edition of The Gates and The Infernals and would recommend both for a fun and quick distraction type read. The narr
Gatorman
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant sequel to The Gates, this time following Samuel Johnson as he gets sucked into Hell by the evil Mrs. Abernathy along with four elves, two policemen and an ice-cream truck driver. Very funny and plenty of intense moments, with the usual pitch-perfect writing of Connolly. Looking forward to the next one. Highly recommended.
Book Him Danno
I think we can thank JK Rowling for making the youth literature market a viable option for authors by proving that kids will buy books, especially ones that tell a compelling story that doesn’t stoop to the lowest commoner denominator for laughs. Following the path of great mystery writers like John Grisham and Carl Hiassen, John Connolly has entered the market with the intrepid Samuel Johnson and his ever faithful dachshund Boswell as they battle the forces of evil embodied in cranky Mrs. Abern ...more
Paul Pessolano
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
“The Infernals” by John Connolly, published by Atria Books.

Category – Fantasy/Science Fiction

This book is an excellent change of pace for the adult reader and is definitely a great read for those who like Young Adult books.

I would suggest that you read John Connolly’s “The Book of Lost Things”, and the first in this series, “The Gates” before you read “The Infernals”.

If you have read “The Gates” you will remember that young Samuel Johnson and his dachshund, Boswell, became involved in opening th
Mike
Oct 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Hell warming story of a boy named Samuel and his Dachshund Boswell. Both are trapped in purgatory located in another dimension which happens to be Hell. Samuel ends up in a rather hilarious segment of perdition entitled The Mountain Of Despair which happens to be ruled by the one and only The Great Malevolence. In recent history Samuel and Boswell foiled plans that were constructed by the evil Mrs. Abernathy and her cohorts of demons. Now she has learned to require an enormous amount of ener ...more
Victoria
What a fun follow-up to The Gates! I really enjoyed reading this book! Who would have expected that a trip to Hell could be so entertaining? It really made for an exciting, even at times nerve-wracking, read. Connolly, an author who is so gifted in balancing his books, alleviates the anxiety he causes with a solid dash of humour and his wonderfully (and in the cases of the demons, surprisingly) real characters.

This book falls in the Young Adult market, and Connolly does a wonderful job of not on
Brooke
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, fantasy, ya
I'd given the first book in this series (The Gates) three stars and concluded that it was a fun, fluffy diversion from Connolly's Charlie Parker books. I'd picked this sequel up at the library not being entirely committed to it, but now I'm glad that I read it. It was a lot of fun and very clever, and I enjoyed that all of the footnotes were science-y (in keeping with the theme of the Large Hadron Collider being responsible for Samuel Johnson's misadventures, I suppose). Overall, The Infernals w ...more
Melumebelle
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a quick, easy, fun read. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first - I feel the story would have been better as a stand alone than with a sequel, but it was nice to hear from some familiar characters (especially my favorite, Nurd).
Luke Walker
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
GREAT fun. If possible, better than the first book. Highly recommended.
Brian
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
The humor continues as Samuel, Boswell and others (most notably four outrageously funny dwarfs) are transported to Hell and have to find their way home. Just remember that Hell is not a nice place to be. Cheers with a Spiggit's Old Peculiar!
Cindy
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow, just as much fun as the first! So funny.
Neil Pittman
Apr 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Funnier than any YA novel in recent memory. Just because it's for preteens doesn't mean you won't love it too.
Joseph
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Blake's Reviews

The Infernals by John Connolly (aka Hell's Bells Samuel Johnson vs the Devil Round II)

So, I was not recommended to read this book by anyone. If you must know, I was at Book-a-Million, browsing through the bargain bin. You know, the unloved books that all seem to be a combination of worn and pink? I don't know why they are pink, all I know is that they are...

Well, I did not know this at the time, but it was the second book in a series (The Gates will be one of my next reviews, as I
The Flooze
I remember when I first read The Gates. I was thoroughly delighted by its unique brand of humorous horror, completely charmed by its brave hero and his lovely little dog. At the time, I didn't realize it was the first of a series. It was certainly strong enough to stand alone.

Looking back, it seems this is the opposite of First Book Syndrome. While becoming reacquainted with Samuel, Boswell, and Nurd was a pleasure, I'm not entirely confident that we needed the story to continue. But since we we
Elizabeth Ellen
The Infernals is a surreal adventure billed as YA, and it reads well that way in many aspects. The multiple-plotline style is said (by writing experts) to be difficult for YA readers to follow or appreciate, which could be distracting to readers who prefer a story to remain sharply focused on the protagonist.

This is BOOK TWO of a series. I did not realize this when I picked it from the library shelf, but the expertise of the author in cluing in a reader to book one was well-handled and didn't in

• The Dagger Quick (The Dagger Chronicles, #1)
  • The Advent (Vessel #1)
  • World War Moo (Apocalypse Cow, #2)
  • The Bird of the River (Lord Ermenwyr, #3)
  • The Death of Me (Johannes Cabal, #3.2)
  • Club Monstrosity (Monstrosity, #1)
  • Tallie's Knight
  • Curioddity
  • Helen and Troy's Epic Road Quest
  • Alfred Hitchcock's Ghostly Gallery
  • The Adventures of Mr. Maximillian Bacchus and His Travelling Circus
  • The Pirate Pig
  • My Boyfriend Bites (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #3)
  • The Maggody Militia (Arly Hanks, #10)
  • Jerusalem Poker (The Jerusalem Quartet, Volume 2)
  • The Borderkind (The Veil, #2)
  • Bad Men Do What Good Men Dream: A Forensic Psychiatrist Illuminates the Darker Side of Human Behavior
  • How It Ended: New and Collected Stories
John Connolly was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1968 and has, at various points in his life, worked as a journalist, a barman, a local government official, a waiter and a dogsbody at Harrods department store in London. He studied English in Trinity College, Dublin and journalism at Dublin City University, subsequently spending five years working as a freelance journalist for The Irish Times newspaper ...more

Samuel Johnson (3 books)
  • The Gates (Samuel Johnson, #1)
  • The Creeps (Samuel Johnson, #3)
“There's a difference between living and just surviving. Do something you love, and find someone to love who loves that you love what you do.
It is really that simple.
And that hard.”
49 likes
“No matter how hard Evil tries, it can never quite match up to the power of Good, because Evil is ultimately self-destructive. Evil may set out to corrupt others, but in the process corrupts itself.” 46 likes