Start by marking “Young Wives' Tales” as Want to Read:
Young Wives' Tales

Young Wives' Tales (Playing Away #2)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  2,065 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
For Better. For Worse

Lucy stole her friend Rose’s ‘happily ever after’ because she wanted Rose’s husband and Lucy always gets what she wants. Big mistake. Rose was the ideal wife and is the ideal mother; Lucy was the perfect mistress.

As Peter’s interest diminishes and Lucy’s domestic responsibilities increase, Lucy wonders if the ‘happily ever after’ is all a big con. With
Published 2007 by Michael Joseph Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Young Wives' Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Young Wives' Tales

Jamie Rose
Nov 01, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

I get given a lot of books, this was one of them.

This is the kind of book that gives women a bad reputation for reading nonsense. I'm not judgemental by nature but this book is written by an idiot, for idiots.

I know there is a point in the life of a reader (especially female readers) when you have babies and toddlers and you still want to read. But your mommy brain is not really up to anything. I totally get that. I read Mills and Boon and dumb-dumb thrillers for around five years because my pos
Suad Shamma
Nov 22, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, 2011
I've just finished reading this book, and I struggled to finish it. It took me a while, and I literally needed breaks in-between chapters because of how frustrated I would get with the characters.

I really did not like any of the characters. I hated John, I hated Lucy, I hated Peter, I hated Connie, and I had huge moments of dislike for Rose.

I would have to say though that the only plot that actually kept me interested long enough to finish the book was Rose and Craig's storyline. It just drove m
Maria
Not my cup of tea. The characters lack subtlety and too much a caricature of the stay at home mom and the trying to have it all career woman with child. You can relate to elements of each character, but just not enough to keep me engaged. This is the only book of hers I have read, but not really tempted to try any more. That being said, it is a hugely easy read and good if you want to veg out reading instead of watching TV.
Brie
Jan 26, 2009 rated it did not like it
This book sucks... it's the cotton candy of literature. I can't even classify it as "chick lit"... it's just bad.
Queenie
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
i have conflicting feelings about this book. i took quite a while to finish it because i didnt like the characters, nor did i like the whole idea of to have an affair or not. even before i finished i was ready to rate it one or two stars only but the ending saved it because Rose became so much more likeable and Lucy was less of an idiot and the ending gave me warm feelings. overall not a very good book, just saved by the ending, similar to how movies make endings emotional so watchers forget tha ...more
Anissa
I don't often read chick-lit but when I do, I most enjoy Brit chick. Honestly, I'm not sure if this is strictly Chick Lit or more Women's Fiction but I found it a page turning, tantalizing read that I really liked. I picked this up as my Amazon Prime monthly freebie because it seemed interesting and I've bought another book by the author that's been sitting on my Kindle far too long (I've pushed that up on my TBR list now).

We follow Rose, Lucy & John over a series of months from each charac
Umami
Jan 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a thick book I read by long time. Started on early January 2015, finished before 18th February 2015. It was not because of bad story, much pages, or tired book. No. If you read this book, it will be like a book diary.

The stories in this book told by Rose, Lucy, John, and Craig. Actually, Craig didn't get much pages. He has only given one chapter from 50 chapters in the end of the book.

Rose was a devoted wife. She has Peter before Lucy, her friend, stole him from her. She was left with tw
*eKa*
May 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Akhirnya kelar juga baca buku ini. Perasaan lamaaaaa banget. Dan emang lama sih karena aku bukan fast reader.
Anyway, ceritanya cukup menghibur dan cukup lucu. Tapi kalo dibandingkan dengan blurbnya, ada sedikit rasa kecewa yang menyeruak dari dalam hatiku. Hiks. Tadinya aku berharap konflik dan persaingan antara Lucy dan Rose akan lebih diekspos. Juga keserbasalahan Connie sebagai sahabat mereka berdua. Tapi ternyata enggak seperti yang kuharapkan. Malah tahu-tahu di awal cerita diceritakan kal
Tara
Jun 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio-book
Entertaining as an audio book while driving. However as intellectual stimulation this book couldn't be less subtle. There are "good" people and "bad" people. And that's about the extent of it. But the author tries to stick glitter on all of them to make this tolerable.

There are two "good" people. Sickeningly so. Rose, the spurned wife, and Craig, the headmaster, have never had a mean thought or performed a horrible deed in their lives. They're both looking for love. This is not a spoiler... I w
Tracy
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
I was given this book a few months ago and have been reading it while sitting in the hospital waiting room. Young Wives Tales is a very easy to read chic lit which I feel would be ideal for a holiday read. I did enjoy the story as there was lots going on so it kept me occupied while waiting for my appointments. I must add, I found it a little predictable in places but I tend to find that with books of this genre. I have already recommended it to a couple of friends who I know will really enjoy i ...more
Apr 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Pretty much your run of the mill story following two wives and a man. Why a man- I really don't know b/c the title of the book is Young Wives Tales. ??? It is a pretty long book- about 16 hours on audio book time..and a lot of that is the characters "thinking" and "realizing" things. I am glad I listened to it, and not read it. I would have been skipping some pages.

All in all, I am glad that got it. Parts of it made me laugh out loud.
Rose McClelland
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other-authors
The thing I don't understand about this book is that even though the characters are not terribly likable, and the theme of Parks' novel is (once again) about affairs, it still makes for compelling reading.

Parks bring the characters and situations so incredibly to life that it's easy to imagine what is going on. Perhaps because the characters are so realistically flawed that her writing feels less chick lit and more realistic drama.

A great read.
Nicola
Sep 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
After reading Playing Away, I was eager to read the sequel and it definitely didn't let me down. The story changed in this one compared to the first. Whereas Playing Away was more about Connie, Young Wives Tale was about Rose and Lucy more which was nice to have an insight into there lives. An easy read that doesn't let you down.
Shirley
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
started march 1st just trying to get into its 5 years or so on from the book playing away and the moment its good in the way as you get to know each character in more depth than the first book but so far its not that great. im finshed now id say it be good and better as a tv comedy drama abit like tvs cold feet uk series just need to make the people stronger its like a pilot script.
Cindy
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved it! Especially the way it switched between different characters' point of view about situations. Good advice for would be mums. A little naughty re Lucy. Also shows that parent hood, marriage and kids may not always be what it's cracked up to be.
Nicholas
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Pretty mucha typical read. It was very easy to read. This is definitely one of those books I can see reading on holiday or during the summer. One of my big things was that the book was pretty predictable in certain places. By the end of the book I really enjoyed it.
Gervy
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bed-books, fluff
Pleasantly surprised. I read on some website that if you like India Knight, you will like Adele Parks - and I do. There were several passages about marriage and motherhood which were completely spot on.
Diana
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read in one sitting!
I thought it was a contemporary chick-lit, something sad and serious, turned out it's funny and touching! I like this! I skipped all the John's part (and didn't miss anything). I think I'm gonna try and read the author's other books.
Kaitlyn
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it

I give this 4 stars for what it is...a good beach or airplane read. British chic lit that is pretty predictable but still a fun super quick read. Perfect for passing the time delayed in an airport!
The Twins
May 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
amusing read - interesting caracteres so different from myself but at the same time I really liked Rose.
Clairekingall
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Rose is not the easiest heroine to warm to!
Lisa
Dec 29, 2014 added it
Euytewwqffottek
Apr 03, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Struggled to read it and never finished it as a result.
Isaw
Dec 14, 2013 rated it liked it
i want more of connie being naughty
Gina Long Ahmad
May 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Amber
Jun 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Not trashy as I expected!
Isabelle Andover
Feb 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. A brilliant page turner
Haylee
Sep 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
a really good read and would read again.
Marcia
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
9 out of 10
Anna
Nov 09, 2011 rated it liked it
I did actually quite enjoy this...I picked it up because I enjoyed Love Lies but it wasn't as good as that. I really really disliked Lucy as a character but I think that's expected (:
Adele Parks Fans: Young Wive's tales 1 2 Feb 27, 2015 01:42AM
  • Daddy's Girls
  • The Wag's Diary (WAGs Diary, #1)
  • Thanks for Nothing, Nick Maxwell
  • Woman to Woman
  • The Baby Trail
  • Divas Las Vegas: A Tale of Love, Friendship, and Sequined Underpants
  • The Boy I Loved Before
  • Three Bedrooms In Chelsea
  • The Yorkshire Pudding Club
  • The Fidelity Files (Jennifer Hunter, #1)
  • The Yummy Mummy
  • The Go-To Girl
  • 37
  • The Book of Jane
  • The Last To Know
  • I Never Fancied Him Anyway
  • Single White E-Mail
  • Bad Behaviour
Adele Parks was born in Teesside, NE England. She studied English Language and Literature, at Leicester University. She published her first novel, Playing Away, in 2000; that year the Evening Standard identified Adele as one of London’s ‘Twenty Faces to Watch.’ Indeed Playing Away was the debut bestseller of 2000.
Prolific, Adele has published nine novels in nine years, including Game Over, Tell Me
More about Adele Parks...

Playing Away (2 books)
  • Playing Away
“The past is for learning from and letting go. You can't revisit it. It vanishes.” 90 likes