Start by marking “Hillsborough - The Truth” as Want to Read:
Hillsborough - The Truth

Hillsborough - The Truth

Hillsborough: The Truth was first published in 1999 to universal acclaim. Now, following the private prosecution for manslaughter brought by the bereaved families against two senior police officers, this revised edition considers the background, progress and implications of that court action. It examines the conduct of the seven-week trial, the legal arguments, the key evi ...more
Published March 25th 1999 by Mainstream Publishing (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Hillsborough - The Truth, please sign up.
Phil Scraton Hello Rita. Thanks for your request. My sons were 7 and 9 when Hillsborough happened and lived through the aftermath and the research for the first…moreHello Rita. Thanks for your request. My sons were 7 and 9 when Hillsborough happened and lived through the aftermath and the research for the first edition through to today when they both have their own children. I think that your 14 year old should be able to handle the book - Hillsborough is covered in a number of Merseyside schools. Clearly there are painful issues raised, especially chapter 5, but with your support all should be fine. Best wishes and thank you for your interest. Phil.(less)

Gareth
Apr 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book only once and am aware that it truly needs reading 2 or 3 times to truly grasp the enormity of its implications and the disturbing nature of its conclusions.

I have a vested interest in this book, as I was there. That made my reading of it a very difficult experience, but I would imagine any civilised human being would find it disturbing too. That should not prevent you reading it. I believe that any member of this community we once could call Great Britain to read it is to
Dianne
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heartbreaking account of the Hillsborough tragedy... and how the SYP, the Sun newspaper and many others LIED!!!Justice for the 96.xx
Simon
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Hillsborough story is evidence that The Establishment is real, not just a figment of left-liberal conspiracy theory. The Establishment is a many-sided machine, welded together with vested self-interest. It’s an attitude of mind, defined by myopic self-belief, a sense of entitlement, and by complete disregard for people who have lost, who have nothing, who are voiceless. It’s an ideology that puts control before safety, profit before people. It’s a politico-judicio-legal apparatus, with the l
Sarah Lee
Jun 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I had watched the recent documentary into Hillsborough and found it compelling viewing. Having known friends (and my ex partner) who had been at Hillsborough the day the tragedy occurred I bought the latest copy of Hillsborough The Truth by Phil Scraton to read.
The book is difficult reading not just because of the terrible events that unfolded at Hillsborough but how the families were treated afterwards. Not just on the day of the tragedy but for over 25 years after, till the final truth came o
Jacqueline Brocker
Very detailed, insightful, and often painful and horrifying. If you really do want to know not only what happened on 15 April 1989, but in the aftermath with the awful legal wranglings and the cover-ups that followed, if nothing else read this. Scraton balances the need for facts and accuracy with considerably compassion and sympathy, something that, as it turns out, was often lacking in the treatment of those whose relatives and friends died and those who survived.
Simon
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: law
Should be compulsory reading in this era where facts and opinions have become inter-changeable. The terrible event and the equally shaming twenty year aftermath got a worthy chronicler. Fitting it should be a academic criminologist.

Unbelievably moving
MargCal
Finished reading ... Hillsborough: The Truth / Phil Scraton ... 13 August 2017
Updated Ed. (Including the new inquest verdicts)
ISBN: 9781910948019

Excellent. Gripping. Grim.

This is the record of the 27 years long search for truth and justice by the families of the 96 people who died as a result of crushing in excessive crowds at an FA Cup semi-final match at Hillsborough on 15 April 1989. These families and their supporters never gave up in the face of police lies and cover-ups, and newspaper lies
Dan Sharber
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, sports
when a disaster of the magnitude of hillsborough happens happens it is important to look at not simply the specific and immediate causes via actions of individuals but also the larger, effective cause of the tragedy. this is something this book does amazingly well. while not letting off the hook the police involved this book goes further and looks at how the lack of seriousness around general crowd safety and the rising hysteria around hooliganism lead to a situation where people were not only c ...more
Megan
Nov 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Powerful. Harrowing. Compelling.

I often struggle reading non-fiction but this was excellently written.

This is one of those book which are hugely important and should be read by all. I am not a football fan, I was not alive when the disaster at Hillsborough occurred yet this book was incredibly compelling for me.

The build up, the moment and the aftermath of the disaster are shocking in every way. I cannot even imagine what the families of those 96 souls have gone through. Not to mention the vili
Keith Salmon
Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you were at Hillsborough this is not an easy book to pick up never mind read. You have the beginning, the middle but no end to the darkest days of the fimiles of 96 loved ones and thousands of survivors one of the worst days in modern Britsih social history.

If you were not there it may be easier to pick up but reading it will certainly not be easy, it describes in the most gruesome of detail the intracacies of the disaster that unfolded and how lives were lost.

You will also see where the figh
Joanna
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A powerful read: intelligent, well-written and constructed, the author treats the reader with great respect as he leads you through a quarter of a century of the evidence and legal processes around Hillsborough - and the repeated efforts of those in positions in power to conceal the truth. A book that any concerned citizen of this country should read to learn about how institutions work and power corrupts - including those we naively assume will protect those who have suffered such grievous harm ...more
RON W. FONE
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book that should be read by everybody who seeks the truth from its society

A disturbing account of what can happen when society's trusted institutions decide to distort the facts and lie to save their own skins regardless of the hurt they will cause the bereaved.
Matthew
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolutely incredible book, meticulously researched and pitch perfectly delivered by Scraton. I considered myself fairly well versed on the subject, I can still remember watching the tragedy unfold on the TV as a 10 year old. This revealed so much more to me though, the institutional cover-up, the lies, the horrendous way that the familes and survivors have been treated from literally moments after the disaster genuinely beggars belief. Disgusted to read what Clough's comments about the occas ...more
Conor O'mahony
Jan 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It has taken me about a week to compose myself to review this book. Not an angry person by nature but I hope that everyone involved in this sickening cover up spins in their graves.

The book itself is really well written and manages to simplify the complex legal system into digestible bits. The main points of the topic related to Hillsborough - the pre-existing concerns about the ground safety and capacity, the policing decisions and control on the day, the perception of crowd behaviour, the sub
Steve Bennett
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An absolute monument of a book to a Britain that I hope we have left behind. Contemptuous behaviour by the Tory classes of a society divided then, arguably even more so now so while I retain hope I have yet to see it realised.
The treatment meted out to football fans then and still to an extent now is a national stain on the British elite (so-called). You cannot fail to be moved by this mighty piece of work that has been out there for near on 30 years yet still no convictions? Although a start i
Sarah Rayner
Jun 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting account of the event. It’s so hard to believe the initial cover up and how these people thought they were actually going to get away with their lies. Hard to comprehend how awful it must have been for the victims family and it’s awful just how long it took to get justice. Well worth reading but hard going at times.
Erlend Bergsagel
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A difficult book to read.
At first the stories from survivors of the day, then people looking for their loved ones and how they where treated in the immidiate aftermath. Reading the book I went from a deep sorrow to a sharp anger reading about and unvailing the cover-up by the police.
I have never doubted the liverpool story and jft96, but reading about it all is overwhelming
Tolkien InMySleep
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A massively important book about a seminal event in any football fan's life. Provokes rage, anguish, despair and ultimately tears of joy at the righting of the injustice done to 96 Liverpool supporters and their families by the organs of a callously indifferent State and it's vindictive media.
Stephen Kirley
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Essential reading.
Heather
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Scarily detailed, horrible to think of what the families have been through. Was hooked on the extent to which the authorities buried the truth. Grateful things have come through for the families.
Kahn
Aug 04, 2011 added it
A compelling account of the tragedy that unfolded on April 15 1989 and the ensuing fight for answers and justice.

Told in a matter-of-fact way that keeps you engrossed without resorting to overly emotive writing.

A must read, not just for Liverpool fans, but for all football fans or anyone who has ever attended a large event with a police presence. Don't ever assume the authorities will look after you.

Also, when you've read this, go and listen to S.Y.M.M by the Manic Street Preachers.
Victoria
Phil Scraton is to be congratulated for his tireless research into the Hillsborough tragedy and the part he has played in revealing the truth about the 96 who died and the injustice suffered by their families for more than 25 years. This book is high on fact but essential reading for anyone who wants to learn more about this important piece of modern British social history.
Sinead
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thought-provoking, emotional and harrowing account of this terrible disaster and the subsequent injustices faced by the bereaved families for the past 20 years (written in 2009)before the accidental death verdicts were overturned in 2013.

I really felt for the families and survivors that this was allowed to happen. RIP 96 supporters
Scott Browne
Jul 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A must read for soccer fans about this tragic event or you may skip it if you watched the 30 for 30 on ESPN.
Maira
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Difficult to read at times (in terms of style and substance). However, very useful for work.
Ruth Loizides
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sad, interesting read. Thankfully they did get the truth. Desperate the facts especially in relation to the deaths are not clear
Niamh
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must read for anyone who wants to know what really happened that day in Sheffield. A comprehensive and incredible account.
Sheena Dorkins
  • Carra: My Autobiography
  • I'm Not Really Here: A Life of Two Halves
  • My Liverpool Home
  • The Sleep of Reason: James Bulger Case
  • And the Sun Shines Now: How Hillsborough and the Premier League Changed Britain
  • Bathory: Memoir of a Countess