Start by marking “Hotel Vendome” as Want to Read:
Hotel Vendome

Hotel Vendome

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  4,742 Ratings  ·  455 Reviews
Danielle Steel’s dazzling new novel invites readers into the ultra-glamorous world of a five-star New York hotel, and brings to vivid life the man who builds it as his dream, the girl who grows up in its loving embrace, and the colorful guests and staff who make its magic complete.

HOTEL VENDÔME

The hotel was old, run-down. But to Swiss-born Hugues Martin, a young, ambiti
Published November 1st 2011 by Delacorte Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Hotel Vendome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hotel Vendome

Corina
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Danielle Steel used to be my favorite author. However, either the quality of her writing is declining in the past few years or her editor(s) are not doing their job.

The story in Hotel Vendome was fine. It was worth telling but it was too predictable. The big faults, in my opinion, are, first, that the story is 98% narrative. We don't get to read what happens as it happens or from one of the characters that it happens to. We only read it as the narrator tells us and only from that POV. How about
Christi
Nov 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really should learn from other reader's reviews and truly listen to them. Most did NOT recommend this book. Lesson learned. I don’t think I’ve read a Danielle Steel book in about 15 years. And it may be that long before I read another one. I was quite interested in the premise of a luxury hotel and the story of a father and daughter. Steel did a great job of grasping the details of running the hotel and the relationship between the father, his daughter and the hotel staff was quite endearing. ...more
Donna
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, I went to the library and there were a million Danielle Steel books on the best seller shelves. Even though I don't usually read her anymore, this one looked interesting. I decided to give her another chance. And her hero is a young Dad with a young daughter. And he buys and renovates a hotel. And this is about his precocious daughter. And her life. And the life of a 5 star hotel. And...ok, this is one reason why I don't read Danielle anymore. p. 8..."most of the time he was working at the h ...more
Tabs
Apr 02, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I should add this to the What Was I Thinking pile. I don't read this stuff.

If you want to know what it feels like to be a fly on the wall in the mundane and boring life of people you don't really care for this is the book for you.

I kept waiting for something to happen. My first attempt at a D. Steele book. I kept waiting for fangs to appear (yes, I am obsessed with vampires) or someone to get killed but nothing so far, absolutely NOTHING and I am many chapters in.

"You can't knock it till you try
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
I am not usually a fan of Danielle Steel's books, but the premise of this one sounded interesting. A page or so into it I remembered just why I dislike her work. The writing is horrible and redundant. The author has her favorite words and phrases and uses them -- constantly. Also, she starts a lot of sentences with the word "And." Here's an example: "And Franco had ordered all silver balloons. And within half an hour the celebration was under way." Even I was impressed by back to back uses of th ...more
Lynne Young
Nov 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another wonderful book by Danielle Steel! This one spans the life of a man with a dream and the daughter who lives it with him. The Hotel Vendome is the dream of Hughes Martin. Unfortunately 2 years after he buys a run down hotel to renovate his wife decides she can't live with being a wife to a man that works 24 hours a day, 7 days a week so she runs off with a rock star leaving her 2 year old daughter in the care of her father. Not only is Heloise cared for by her father, she is cared for and ...more
Nancy S
Jan 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, 2012
Danielle Steel used to be one of my favorite authors. The quality of her writing has been going down hill but this is getting ridiculous. If a new author submitted this book to a publisher it would NOT have been bought....let alone published! I would hate to see the original manuscript submitted... must have been so bad that the editors couldn't even fix it...or maybe they didn't even try since it sold copies by the authors name alone. That will not last.

The characters were shallow and the dialo
Denise Jo
I usually love Danielle Steel's books, but this one, not so much.... It was a waste of paper. The best thing about the book is the jacket, which is exquisite, and tells the story of the book better than how it was written. It is about a man who owns a hotel and his daughter that grew up there. Danielle Steel made the characters weak and wimpy and there was no substance to the story. It could have been told in half the amount of pages, or less. I really looked forward to this and was really disap ...more
Tanya (Girl Plus Books)
You can count of Danielle Steel for a few things: light, fluffy reads; extreme repetition; and every other sentence staring with "And."

That being said, this was typical Steel fare. If you're familiar with Danielle Steel you'll know what you're getting. Beautiful people in beautiful surroundings with either minor conflict or tragic circumstances (there is rarely any in-between). For the most part this is conflict of the minor sort with the daughter reacting as if there's a major tragedy. A 19-20
Suzanne
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this DS novel! Really enjoyed reading about the lives of the Hotel's owner and his daughter. You can see the love the author has for Paris. I listened to a tiny sample of the audio book and the correct pronunciation was so much better than my inner mumbling! If you're a DS fan, I hope you'll read it and enjoy it as much as I.
Amie Schumacher
Mar 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Typical Steel...easy, quick read.
Redfox5
Does nobody edit Steel's books?

Does no one way say "Hey Danielle, I think your readers get this bit now".

She repeats everything! It's almost like she thinks we are too dumb to get it the first time she said it, so she reinforces it again and again. We get it! Hugues is the best, most perfect and most amazing hotel manager the world has ever seen. Heloise is the most perfect daughter ever! Urg! I really liked the characters but I was getting sick of being told about how awesome they are on pre
Julie Barrett
Mar 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hotel Vendôme by Danielle Steel
Hugh has built a hotel that is fit for a king or queen. After a few years his wife leaves them and he gets to raise their daughter which he has no problem doing.
His whole life is Heloise and the hotel.
As years go by Heloise also loves the hotel business and applies to a Swiss school to get further training. She gets in and he finds himself lost while she's gone
so he undertakes a new project: redoing some of the larger suites. The designer is one he feels very comfo
Sith Lancerlot
بعد انتهائي من قراءة الرواية رميتها رمي إلى قسم الكتب المقروءة, ما هذه المهزلة؟. أنا رفعت آمالي بدرجة كبيرة وغبية عندما اعتقدت أنها ستُناقش العلاقات الاجتماعية و الرومانسية بعمق لكنها بالنهاية سطحية بشكل بحت. .الأحداث مملة ومتوقعة لدرجة إني أجرؤ على القول أنه لم تكن هناك أحداث أصلاً

قد تكون هذه الرواية لا تصلح بأن تكون أول قراءة لدخل عالم دانيال ستيل لكن ما العمل بعدما وقع الفأس في الرأس؟.

لا أزال أبحث عن الرواية الدرامية التي ستصهر روحي في أحداثها وأعتقد أني سأقتني خارطة الحب
Anna
Apr 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think I've outgrown Danielle Steel. The plot was nice, but nothing amazing. I wasn't enthralled. I wasn't intrigued. I was reading because I had forgotten my other book. The story, a girl being raised by her father in a hotel he owns, was just that single plot until the last 50ish pages of the book where, in that small fraction, the father got re-married, had a heart attack, the step-mom had triplets after hemmoraging, and the daughter was engaged. Talk about packing it in. It's like she had a ...more
Cyd
Nov 20, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of her worst and she wrote it poorly and her characters were thin and the errors were so blatant and she does not know there is a limit to how many "ands" can be in a sentence. And doesn't she know you do not start a sentence with " and"? Hotel manager raises spoiled daughter. Daddy wants to remarry when daughter is grown and whiny brat stomps her feet. Wait to get this at a garage sale, and don't hesitate to ask for change for your nickle.
Julie
Apr 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Every once in a while, I try another book by some of the wildly popular authors whose work I haven't much enjoyed in the past. I've not changed my mind about Steel. I find her writing to be repetitious, bland bordering on insipid, character development shallow, & plot lines thin. This book was no exception. Good thing I borrowed it from the library instead of spending any money!
Michelle
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I couldn't stop reading it.

It is a romance if I ever read one. Its a story of love between a father and daughter, and how their deep connection effects their personal lives. Like any family Hugues and Heloise have problems. Sometimes when you try everything to protect your children from hurt, your end up causing the pain you never wanted them to experience.

This book is also a coming of age story of a young girl. Its about the pains of growing up. It's about becoming an adult a
Natalie
Jul 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
So it took me up until now to read a Danielle Steel book. Much to my relief, I've found that I wasn't missing a whole heck of a lot, in fact - I want the several hours I spent in the car listening to this piece of crap...back. I want to sue Danielle Steel for taking away this time I could have spent just driving and not listening to anything, which would have been preferable to the experience she subjected me to. This was a recent title - to those who have read earlier creations - has she just g ...more
Zézinha Rosado
Quem já leu Danielle Steel sabe que os seus livros são sempre de leitura fácil e que nos fazem sonhar e viver a vida de cada personagem.
Este livro é o que eu chamo de "livro previsível", pois à medida que a acção se desenrola facilmente conseguimos prever o que vem a seguir, se bem que a autora faz sempre questão de nos surpreender com um ou outro pormenor.
Gostei bastante do facto do livro abordar o tema da hotelaria, ou não fosse eu uma trabalhadora da indústria hoteleira.
Chantal
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Danielle Steel book I have read, and will likely be the last. Though the plot summary seemed interesting, I spent the entire novel waiting for something to happen. I found Heloise's actions in the middle of the book hard to believe and made her somewhat unlikeable. The book is interesting in terms of the hotel descriptions and overall management and running of a boutique hotel, but that's really the only enjoyable aspect.
Bookish Enchantment
Jan 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
I give this 4 stars simply because it was a nice interlude read that was easy and entertaining. The story is quite cliche' however endearing. My big complaint is how the author treated the reader as stupid throughout the book by reiterating situations like the reader has a super short memory and would not have remembered. Not having read a Danielle Steel book for umpteen years it just may be the authors standard style.
Lesley
Mar 19, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I kept waiting for something to happen. I was wishing it would be a typical DS and there would be some tradegy. NOPE, NOTHING, NADA. There is no substance, the same words and phreases repeated over and over. We get it, she has red hair and freckles. We get it, life is amazing. I was so bored and angry at myself that I spent the $$ to buy and that I actually finished the book. Again DS just called it in, no research, nothing new and life is a fairy tail
Debbie
Dec 24, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-ok
This novel was bit more interesting than some of her more recent books, but it was sorely in need of a good editing. As usual, Ms. Steel writes about characters who are rich, happy and have found their perfect life partners, with only minor bumps along the way. Love has truly conquered all in this story, but the setting, an exclusive hotel in NYC, made it a tad more readable.
Bárbara
Aug 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh.
Tenía partes entretenidas, pero poco más.
Todo muy novelita de poca monta. Tal vez no es mi estilo de lectura; igual, fue lo primero y va a ser lo último que lea de esta autora. Todo me supo muy chato, muy predecible, muy... No sé, no me convenció.
Mary Fox
Sep 17, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One word? Silly
Kim
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library, 2011
These are my comfort reads and I enjoyed this one. The storyline is predictable once you've read a few Danielle Steel. I still like to curl up with one and a cup of tea for a few hours.
Linda
Feb 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it - a typical Danielle Steel though. I chose to read it because the story line sounded a bit like Eloise living at the Plaza.
Ashley FL
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars, I guess. Love the idea of a story revolving around a hotel. Disliked the writing (have you ever heard of "show, don't tell, Ms. Steel??"), disliked that the daughter was such a brat.
Sue
Apr 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Danielle Steel, my guilty pleasure. Another one that doesn't disappoint. Takes place in a small boutique hotel in NYC. A quick read, you will get lost in their world (at least for a few hours).
Danielle Steel Bo...: Hotel Vendome 1 10 Nov 20, 2012 09:05PM
  • Suspicion of Vengeance (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #6)
  • First Comes Love
  • Under Cover
  • Tempted
  • Back Roads (Glen Crossing #1)
  • The Seduction of an English Lady
  • To Kiss a Spy (Kiss, #2)
  • Southern Comfort
  • Firebird
  • Undone
  • A Summer Affair (Calhoun Chronicles #5)
  • Lethal Seduction
  • Stories of the Heart
  • One Night with a Spy (Royal Four, #3)
  • A Day Away: One Summer / Temptation
  • Desire (Notorious, #3)
  • Promise Me Forever (Lost Lords, #3)
  • One Kiss in Havana
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...

“going past her on a gurney, surrounded” 0 likes