Start by marking “The Gospel According to Science Fiction: From the Twilight Zone to the Final Frontier” as Want to Read:

The Gospel According to Science Fiction In this engaging book, McKee explores the inherent theological nature of science fiction, organizing chapters around theological themes and using illustrations from Isaac Asimov and H.G. Wells, and shows such as "Star Trek" and "The Twlight Zone" to show how science fiction shapes how people think of God. Full description
Paperback, First Edition, 291 pages
Published January 2nd 2007 by Westminster John Knox Press

To ask other readers questions about The Gospel According to Science Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gospel According to Science Fiction

Zak
Oct 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Although I only recognize 1 out of every 10 books the author cites, it makes me want to seek most of them out.

A really good romp through sci-fi history, detailing the religious implications of our greatest stories. What I like is that balances the overt spiritual themes of stories about cybernetic souls with the less in your face subtext of popular sci-fi like Star Trek. Who knew Spock was really a Jew?

Genevieve Trainor
Aug 08, 2007 rated it did not like it
This book was rather disappointing. As a huge SF/fantasy fan, I'd had hopes for some revelation, or at least interesting insight. Nary a bit. Little more than a series of (not-so-)glorified synopses, this book is one that I couldn't even force myself to finish. I suppose there exists a possibility that it picks up towards the end. I should give the author the benefit of the doubt. Sadly, what I was able to trudge through was not very enlightening, or even interesting. There was no sense of cohes ...more
Mariusz
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
This book consists mostly of synopses. Thus, serves well only as a reservoir and a round-up of plots. The Author ingores evolution of the genre and omits theoretical papers, in the result each chapter follows somewhat obscured, temporary and chaotic logic. There is Ketterer at least, but very briefly summarized. No Kermode. No Brummett and others. The profit: vast choice of plots, can't deny that (one to mention is the lack of non-English writers, there are few, Lem, thanks for that. But no Stru ...more
Iain
Sep 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Fascinating stuff. Making interesting reading with very good explanations and citations. One slight down point is that, although introducing me to new books/movies I'd not heard of the author then goes on with spoilers of them, making me not want to read them. Nothing that could be done about that though. Will use i in the future as a resource for new authors.
Brian
Apr 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: religious
More overview than analysis, it might provide you with some new things to seek out for your own entertainment and examination, but little else.
Rick Bavera
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
One thing I always said: Religion and science are not enemies. They are talking differently about things. Done correctly, they can complement each other, not fight.

This isn't a perfect way of saying it, but it works for me: Science looks at the "how" of things. Religion looks at the "why". How did things happen, versus why did they happen/why are we here?

This book takes a look at where SF has looked at things, and tried to understand some of the why.

And it has reminded me of some books I'd like
Mark Edlund
Nov 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Non fiction
The author presents, with exhaustive research and a huge bibliography, a well reasoned book that science fiction and theology are not actually diametrically opposed but could be two sides of the same coin. I liked his chapters on faith and science fiction and the Apocalyptic writings of the bible and many authors.
It is even more interesting in that many of the authors appear to have no firm faith of their own but explore the effects of religion on the human condition.
Canadian referenc
Billie
Dec 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book is a great guide for interpreting science fiction films and literature by looking at the gospel and the shared characteristics, themes, and stories. The only issue with the book is that it often gives away the entire plot of a film or movie, which is fine as long as you are okay with spoilers. The book would have also been much shorter had he written less summary of the fiction and focused more on interpretation.
Gwynne
Dec 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book makes a persuasive case that science fiction is one of the richest genres for exploring religious ideas. It's absolutely fascinating, from both a religion-studies and SF geek perspective. Highly recommended!
Joshua
Jan 07, 2009 rated it liked it
A review of science fiction stories - books, comics, television, movies, etc. - that deal with issues of faith. It is a little light on analysis but gave me lots of interesting material to check out.
Emily
Apr 06, 2013 rated it liked it
I had to read this book for a science fiction and religion class. Some chapters are a bit too long but the book is good overall.
Summer Holgate
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great book! I really enjoyed the story and movie excerpts. My To-Read shelf just got bigger!
J.Blake