Start by marking “The Kindling Heart (Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance #1)” as Want to Read:
The Kindling Heart (Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance #1)

The Kindling Heart (Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance #1)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  873 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
An alternate cover edition can be found here.

Published (first published April 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Kindling Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Kindling Heart

Kathy * Bookworm Nation
Overall, I enjoyed this one. I liked our main characters Ruan and Bree, and I’m a sucker for an arrange marriage story line. Ruan had a rakish past, but saw the error of his ways and had become a pretty moral man over the years. He is manipulated into a marriage with Bree, who was escaping from the only home she knew and ironically another arranged marriage when she is tricked into marrying Ruan. Neither trusts one another and it takes awhile for a friendship to grow. At first, I thought Bree’s ...more
Shannon Mayer
May 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ruan MacLeod was through with women. They were nothing but trouble. Leaving the rash life of his youth behind, he returned to Skye, seeking peace. He never meant to split the clan or start a war with the MacDonald of Duntulm. He certainly never foresaw an arranged marriage to the most scandalous woman in Scotland. Even though she was twice his age, the size of a horse and mother to more than one illegitimate child, he agreed to secure his sister’s freedom.

However, even that plan goes drasticall
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this free books so much I bought the second book in the series. I love Scottish books
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
I will confess that my 2 stars are a bit harsh and perhaps premature. If I was not in such a reading rut, I would probably have rated higher. But after 3 weeks of boring books my patience is at a record low, which attributed to my 2 star rating. If I was in my right frame of mind this book would have been a weak 3 stars book.

I am uncertain how Bree ended up being the replacement bride for Ruan. It was a lot of angry highlanders and some old and/or mean women and boom Bree was married to Ruan. I
Suzan Tisdale
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the very first "Scottish Romance" novels that I ever read. This is the one that got me hooked! ;o) It remains one of my favorites.
Dec 03, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical
Ho hum. It was ok. It felt a little like this was a self-published book. The heroine had no real voice. She was 'shy' and hence spoke very little throughout the story (external dialogue, nor internal dialogue). The author rushed through some plot elements at break-neck speed, leaving me wanting more details and more development, but spend oodles and oodles of time in other parts of the story that could have been told with more efficiency. For me, this book just didn't have a good road map, nor a ...more
Mary Ashley
Mar 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I thought that The Kindling Heart is a good book but not a great one. The forced marriage story line is not new and had some good and funny parts. The problem is I found myself thinking get on with the story at times and felt like I was pushing myself to finish. Some will like it and want to read the next in the series but I don't think it is for me.
Ashley Lavering
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this historical romance. There are some adult scenes but they are short and modestly done for a romance. The plot was so cool and I loved the tension between the two characters! for 18+ years old.
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Got this as a freebie recently and it leapt straight up to the top of my TBR mountain. I love historical novels and was not disappointed with this one. Am so glad to find that there will be others in the series, I am definitely not ready to say goodbye to Bree, Ruan and the rest of the clan.
Feb 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was awful.
Angie Cornelison
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this little gem of a book. I love a good romance and this did not disappoint! I liked it so much I'm ordering the next one in the series.
P Leslie
Dec 22, 2017 rated it really liked it

This was a good read but I have to admit, it did take a lot of patience to get through it.

I liked Bree- she was feisty and high spirited. She doesn’t fall instantly in love with Ruan and that’s what made this story different than many others.

Bree’s escaped one hell hole then gets tricked into marrying Ruan. Her past experience has left her scarred emotionally and physically therefore, her initial reactions in the beginning towards Ruan were understandable and realistic.

Ruan was a player in th
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was excited to read this book, but I have to say I had to push myself to finish it. The characters were not enduring, The Heroine started strong but then was weakened. The Hero was typical, though likeable. The downhill slide was the constant onslaught of of women who were jealous former or wanna be lovers of the hero. We get it, he desireable and there is conflict in that. This was one way Bree was made to look weak, constantly running away when one of these women was encountered. This meant ...more
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: ku
I've been in a reading rut lately, same old same old, so I thought in my attempt to break the cycle I would try an old setting. I found this in a collection and the author notes that her style has changed since this book but it was just the thing I wanted. Maybe there's was a bit too much of the characters trying to resist their attractions but over all it was nice story. A lot of travel that seemed to go by rather quickly for the mode of transportation available but it did keep the story moving ...more
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
A nice light read with plenty of action. Fiesty woman and Scottish Liard's and brothers battling for control. No wars against the English in this one. Moments to get your heart raising and a bit of sterotypical characters but a strong woman characters which I love. Story narrated by both Bree and Ruan so interesting to get both points of view.
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it

Having never heard of this author, I was sceptical. . . The book started a little slowly and the storyline was kind of hard to follow, but I am certainly glad I did!! What an incredible book and the story was so realistic (and back ground info so well researched) that I can hardly wait to read the next book. Very highly recommended.
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing

I enjoyed the period of takes place in and enjoyed that the move scenes were short and didn't take a whole chapter. Well written and wonderful love story that doesn't leave you hanging.
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Anna by:
Shelves: did-not-finish
I just didn't care about any of the characters at all.
Jul 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Boring, extremely boring and Bree got on my nerves. Ruan publicly rebukes Tormod but tells the clan Tormod is their leader?
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scotland
Rating 3.5, rounded up. This was a nice piece of Scottish Highlands chick lit--just what I was in the mood to read. Haha! I liked the characters and look forward to reading book 2 in this series, since the author says this book isn't her best work but her first novel. Plus, I know the second book won some award. So, I am off to read Cameron's story in book 2.
Feb 02, 2012 rated it did not like it
I actually stayed up into the wee hours of the morning to finish this book. It was a stubborn decision; reading this novel was akin to watching a train derail, I suppose. Confession: I love great literature; I read constantly, but every now and then I love a guilty pleasure. My guilty pleasure is reading historical romances, especially those set in the Scottish Highlands. My husband and I jokingly call the genre: "Throbbing Loins."

Did Ms. Caine self-publish? She must have, because it's obvious t
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Set in the background of the court of King James III, the Earl of Lennox, Cameron Stewart, has had 7 politically arranged marriages but never bedded any of his wives. He believes himself to be cursed and thinks that anyone he aligns himself with in romance and marriage will be doomed to an untimely end. Thus, he decides to forego any and all hopes of having a true love, much less a real marriage. That is, until he meets the delightful Kate Ferguson.

Kate is an amazing little lady with hope and ch
Ruan MacLeod, The Kindling Heart is fifth in line for his clan's leadership being the youngest brother. He returns to the Isle of Skye, his home seeking peace and is ordered to marry the worst harlot in the British Isles; he finds a substitute bride on his wedding day. Bree travels to Scotland with her father to escape the brutality of how her mother and step-father treat her; she understands little of her father's plans for her until she finds she is wed to Ruan.

Bree is shy but feisty and ready
Zoe Saadia
Apr 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Two weeks in the magic of the highlands

For two wonderful weeks I was thrown back in time, into the magic of the Highlands.
The Kindling Heart had managed to take me far, far away, into the times and the places I was hardly familiar with. The amazingly detailed, yet flowing descriptions made me feel as if actually visiting the 16th century’s Scotland, enveloping me with the wonders of those long-forgotten times, but at the same time not making the reality into too clean or too pretty.

The Kindling
Sandy Grissett
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Carmen Caine is an excellent writer. I fear I read this book out of sequence yet I am glad I did. Close to the end of the book I got to see Cameron again and I knew of his fate. This is a story about Bree who has been abused and her mother was going to sell her off to be married to another who would do not but abuse her also. Thank goodness Afraig notified Domnall (Bree's father) to come before she would be married off. Domnall takes her to a place called Dunvegan and would you believe
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it

Bree is dismayed to find out her father is selling her as a bride to an old man for the price of three sheep. If she refuses she will be beaten into submission.
Ruan is a despised younger brother of a vicious Laird. He has just rescued his battered  little sister from a marriage to a nearby Laird by force.  His brother insists a marriage must take place, and picks the worst possible bride for Ruan as a punishment.
When Ruan finds himself married to a terrified Bree he declares that he will hav
Cindy Woods
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Five stars!

What a great book....great writing...memorable characters. Couldn't put it down. I plan to read this series now as this was the first I've read by this author. The writing is fresh, skilled, not overlong with frivolous the point. The dialogue is very well done. I rarely give five stars, and I read a book a day normally. This was an adventure from start to finish. Fell in love with Ruan, of course...who wouldn't?! Bree is truly a unique and pure soul. I cannot say enoug
Jeene Hobbs
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
An unexpected clan leader and an unlikely wife

Ruan doesn't want to lead the clan and never expects to do so. He also doesn't plan to wed or to fall for the woman he is forced to wed. Bree just wants to escape the awful place she lives and the people who would wed her off for 3 sheep.

This first book in the series is full of deceit, jealousy, spite, misunderstanding, and second chances.

Originally, I read book two and really liked the first third or so. I decided recently to read the books in prop
Emma Long
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Riveting Highland Clan Romance

This is the first of the series that will keep you going until you are too tired to do anything else. The text to speech capability is just the thing when our eyes won't focus any more. The Highland Warrior saves his Lass, his sister and several other damsels along the way. He has a price o. His head as all his older half brothers try to kill him because they fear his native leadership skills and they end up....well you'll just have to read it if you want to find t
  • Beneath A Highland Moon (The Highland Moon #1)
  • Highland Barbarian (Highlander, #1)
  • Laiden's Daughter (Clan MacDougall, #1)
  • Daring the Highlander (The Legacy of MacLeod, #2)
  • Angel of Skye (MacPherson Clan, #1)
  • The Highlander's Sword (Highlander #1)
  • Highland Seer (Highland Talents, #2)
  • Legacy
  • Wild Angel (The O'Byrne Brides Series, #1)
  • Anna, Rachel & Charlet (Marti Talbott's Highlander, #1)
  • Warrior's Bride (The Stones of Destiny, #2)
  • Unleashed: A Highland Historical Trilogy (Highland Historical, #1-3) (The MacLauchlans, #1-3)
  • Plaid to the Bone (Spirit of the Highlands, #0.5)
  • The MacKinnon's Bride (The Highland Brides, # 1)
  • Highland Legacy (The Fraser Brothers Trilogy #1)
  • Highland Solution (Duncurra, #1)
  • Bold (The Handfasting, #1)
Like many of us on this planet, Carmen Caine/Madison Adler is from another world. She spends every moment she can scribbling stories on sticky notes that her kids find posted all over the car, house, and barn.

When she is not working as a software engineer, she is busy ferrying her kids to various appointments, writing lyrics for her husband's songs, taking care of the dog Tigger and his heart con
More about Carmen Caine...

Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance (5 books)
  • The Bedeviled Heart (Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance #2)
  • The Daring Heart (Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance #3)
  • The Bold Heart (Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance #4)
  • The Loyal Heart (Highland Heather and Hearts Scottish Romance #5)

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
  • Sheltering Rain
    $9.49 $1.99
  • She Can Scream (She Can Series, Book 3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Buried (Bone Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Mess (Broken #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • One More Night (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)