Start by marking “Brief Lives (The Sandman, #7)” as Want to Read:
Brief Lives (The Sandman, #7)

Brief Lives

(The Sandman #7)

4.54  ·  Rating details ·  45,075 ratings  ·  1,130 reviews
NEW YORK TIMES bestselling author Neil Gaiman's transcendent series SANDMAN is often hailed as the definitive Vertigo title and one of the finest achievements in graphic storytelling. Gaiman created an unforgettable tale of the forces that exist beyond life and death by weaving ancient mythology, folklore and fairy tales with his own distinct narrative vision.

Older and mor
Paperback, Fully Remastered Edition, 241 pages
Published December 13th 2011 by Vertigo (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Brief Lives, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  45,075 ratings  ·  1,130 reviews

Alejandro
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
A mad journey about change.

Creative Team:

Writer: Neil Gaiman

Illustrators: Jill Thompson & Vince Locke

Covers: Dave McKean

Letterer: Todd Klein

COINS, BUTTERFLIES, PONdS, QUESTS & FAMILIES

In the review about the sixth volume, Fables & Reflections, I recommended that it was better to read the introduction after reading the TPB, and surprising enough in this seventh volume, Brief Lives, they just decided to putt he introduction at the end of the TPB. Curiouser and curiouser. Oh, and re
Bill  Kerwin

This volume is one tale, one quest. Delirium (one of the less frequently seen of the Endless Family) misses her brother Destruction intensely and is determined to find him. Desire and Despair refuse to join her, but she does persuade Dream. Their quest takes them from a travel office in Dublin, Ireland to a strip club called Suffragette City, from the Palace of Bast, Queen and Goddess of Cats to the Temple of Orpheus (where the head of the bard still lives), and finally toward the island retreat
Algernon (Darth Anyan)
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, comics

Fasten you seatbelts, folks! It's going to be a bumpy ride!
Watch out! Delirium is behind the wheel and she's looking for Destruction!

delirium driving

She misses her brother, the one that got away: Donde esta mi hermano? She stares at the world with two mismatched eyes: one emerald green, the other pale blue through which silver flecks flicker and swim like a shoal of tiny fish. . The Endless are a family, but what's a good word for 'disfunctional'? Is Delirium the only one who really cares? Who's going to
Bradley
What is really a road trip is really a helluvalot more than just a roadtrip when Dream and Delirium search for their long lost brother of change, Destruction.

Nothing is quite as funny and quirky in these Graphic Novels like Delirium, and nobody is quite as quietly disturbing, deep down. How does one need to so completely retreat from Delight by willingly throwing oneself into deepest madness? *shiver*

I really loved this volume. Things change.

The other most memorable and thought-provoking storie
Sean Gibson
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Does Dream and his sister Delirium hitting the road and wandering the earth in search of truth (and fun) and their brother Destruction make for the weirdest road trip ever? Well, no—that would, in fact, be the Gibson family trek to Disneyworld in 1987 (don’t ask). But, it’s certainly up there, and certainly good (if thought-provoking) fun. This Gaiman kid is going places, I tell ya.

Onto Vol. 8…
Lᴀʏᴀ Rᴀɴɪ #BookDiet2019
Brief Lives was personally perfect in every way. It was the volume of The Sandman that solidified my love for the entire series. Not only was it a sublime story about brevity and forgiveness; it was an affirmation of what the Endless was supposed to stand for (and all seven of them too, because we finally get to meet the prodigal sibling who abandoned the responsibilities of his realm). Jill Thompson is the collaborative artist for this volume, and hers are my most favorite depictions of the End ...more
Kyriaki
Κάπως πιο μελαγχολικός αυτός ο τόμος με μια κάπως πιο θλιμμένη ατμόσφαιρα.......μου άρεσε πολύ!.

-And what of your realm
-I'm surre it's still there, in it's fashion. People and things are still created; still exist; are still destroyed. They tear down and they build. Things still change. The only difference is that no one running it any more. It's nothing to do with me any longer. It's theirs. They can make their own destruction.

-My brother? How could you leave?
-How or why?
-It makes no differenc
Sh3lly
The great thing about this volume is that it is all about The Endless, aka the Sandman's family. Death, Desire, Despair, Destruction, Delirium... they all make appearances. The main story is that Delirium asks Dream to help her find their brother, Destruction, who has disappeared for 300 years.

Delirium is like a younger version of Tori Amos on acid.

There is even a Tori Amos song playing in the background of a club Delirium goes to in the beginning, when she is trying to find family members to h
Brooke
Jul 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coming off the least interesting volume in the series (The Sandman Vol. 6 Fables and Reflections), Brief Lives was a welcome high point. Delerium wants to look for Destruction, who left the Endless family and disappeared 300 years prior. Dream is the only sibling who agrees to accompany her; he doesn't want to find Destruction, but he does want to take his mind off a love affair that just ended.

Delerium was what made Brief Lives. She is absolutely charming and hilarious, and the interactions bet
Stuart
Sandman, Vol 7: Brief Lives: Even the Endless must change
Originally posted at Fantasy Literature
After the stand-alone story collection Vol 6: Fables and Reflections, Vol 7: Brief Lives brings the focus back on Morpheus’ dysfunctional family, the Endless. For a group of avatars representing some fundamental concepts that underpin human existence (but only those that start with ‘D’), they can’t seem to get along or understand each other much of the time. So it’s no surprise they also have trouble
Char
This entry in the series was different from the others in that the entire volume was the continuation of one story-the search for the missing member of the Endless-Destruction.

We also get to see the final story of Orpheus, Dream's (Morpheus') son. It was a very sad note to end on, or was it? I felt a little bit of hopefulness that perhaps Orpheus was finally reunited with Eurydice after years of suffering.

This volume also had a nice afterword from Peter Straub that I enjoyed.

I thought this was y
Rowena
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was so good! Delirium was quite the character.
Panagiotis
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ο Γκέιμαν σα να προετοιμάζει τον αναγνώστη για το τέλος. Έτσι κάπως εξέλαβα τα λόγια ένος από τους Αθανάτους, ο οποίος αποσύρθηκε γιατί ο ολοένα εξελισσόμενος κόσμος δεν έχει ανάγκη πια τα σύμβολα και τα υπαρξιακά μοτίβα που ο ίδιος και τα αδέρφια του εκπροσωπούν. Κάτι που δείχνει να μην θέλει να καταλάβει ο Άρχων των Ονείρων, αλλά ούτε κι εγώ μαζί του.

Ο τόμος αυτός είναι ποικιλλοτρόπως δραματικός, περιστρέφεται γύρω από τα θέμα της αλλαγής που διέπει την πλάση, και που έρχεται αντιμέτωπη με την
Teresa
Jan 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Though this volume starts and ends with a "modern" take on the Orpheus myth, it mostly deals with the Endless siblings. The rendering of Delirium is sometimes sad but mostly hilarious, and though 'change' has not been kind to her (she was once Delight), she's the impetus for a journey to find Destruction, the most "human" of the siblings.

I think I enjoyed the side-stories (the consequences of their trip) more than the interaction of the siblings themselves, though those latter scenes are the mo
Rebecca Skane
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Of the Endless, brother Destruction is missing. Delirium has lost it (not that she ever had it) and wants to find him. Despair and Desire turn her down, but Dream agrees to go on the quest. It ends up costing him more than he expects. One of my favorite volumes.
Ronyell
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Neil Gaiman's Sandman series!!!
After reading the sixth volume of Neil Gaiman’s famous “Sandman” series, I just had to keep reading more and more of this fantastic series! For the past six volumes of the “Sandman” series, we have been reading about mainly Dream’s (Morpheus’) side of the story, but now in the seventh volume, “Brief Lives,” we are finally reading about Dream’s other siblings, mainly the youngest sibling of the Endless, Delirium, and how she tries to convince Dream to help her find their missing brother, Destruct ...more
Alyssa
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I hope I don't come across sounding like a fanboy, but the thesis of my review is this: WHY AREN'T MORE PEOPLE READING THIS SERIES? For that matter, why aren't more people talking about this series? Seriously, why did it take a random conversation with a Facebook friend for me to hear about this series for the first time? Especially considering that one of my most intellectual and well-read friends apparently adores this series? Or the fact that this series has won all sorts of incredibly presti ...more
Javier Muñoz
Otro gran tomo de Sandman. En este arco argumental Delirio, una de las hermanas de Sueño, le pide que le ayude a buscar al hermano perdido de ambos, así acompañamos a ambos en un viaje en busca de Destrucción, intentando seguir su rastro a través de antiguos conocidos, seres mitológicos o simplemente ancianos con los que compartió momentos a lo largo de la historia.

Este es un arco más anclado en el mundo real contemporáneo, aunque nos permite saber más acerca de las relaciones de los eternos ent
Siria
Apr 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, this is one to wallow in. I loved the interaction between Delirium and Dream - Dream's terseness and Delerium's ramblings which always seem to have an odd kind of sense to them contrast so nicely. Their two very different personalities also serve to nicely point out the Really Big Dysfunctionality of their family.

And Ishtar! With the temple prostitution! A scene in Dublin that is recognisably taking place on O' Connell Street! Hades and Persephone! And Destruction, who tries so hard to creat
David Schaafsma
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is about the Endless family and a quest where Dream and Delirium seek Destruction, their brother, and Dream also seeks the lover who has rejected him. The conclusion of the Orpheus arc happens in this issue and is pretty powerful. I guess the central theme here is the inevitability of change. Death plays a pretty central role in this one, yay. One interlude takes place in a strip club called Suffragette City. Pretty terrific stuff, I thought.
Javier Rivera
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brillante !!!
Wing Kee
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully poetic.

World: The art is amazing, once again the art really drives the tone and the feel of the book, it would not be what it was without it. The world building here is great, it's interconnected and a call back from the past and the hints of the lost sibling is finally revealed. The characters and the places this place goes is consistent to the world and it being character driven is the best thing about it.

Story: The story of the lost sibling has been teased awhile so it was great f
Ithil
Nov 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Este tomo me ha gustado mucho. A pesar de que tengo la sensación de haber escrito esto mismo ya en otras pequeñas reviews del mismo.

En este caso de lo que llevo es de mis favoritos. Me fascina ir conociendo cada vez un poco más a la familia de los Eternos. Es genial ir conociendo un poco de cada uno de ellos, e ir viendo sus peculiaridades.
En especial, me ha encantado la relación de Sueño y Delirio a lo largo de este tomo y el viaje de ambos. Como empieza y como acaba. En general es que antes
Emm - Stories for Ghouls
I plan to write a wordy, obnoxiously-eloquent review on this one day. Eventually.

For the time being, I'll say two things : A) That cover is boss. The one with the skeleton, if you're looking at a different edition.
And B) If you've read the series this far and liked it, you will probably love this one. If you've read the series this far and hated it, why are you on the seventh book, anyway?
Patrick
Delirium was annoying as heck but the story overall was ok.
El
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
By far my favorite of the issues thus far. I enjoy all of them that involve the Endless mythos, focusing on their stories; this is just the first that really involves all of them individually and interacting with one another, so we get a real grasp on all of their personalities and relationships with one another.

This story primarily revolves around the youngest sister, Delirium (formerly known as Delight), and Dream who, against his better judgment, allows Del to convince him to join her on a qu
Sally ☾
“I like airplanes. I like anywhere that isn't a proper place. I like in betweens.”

OKAY SO. Delirium may be my new favorite, though I do really love Death.

Both of them are just so amazing. All of the Endless together are just hilarious and adorable.

I want more of their family reunions.
Cheese
Aug 11, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gaiman has some incredible imagination to
Write this. That's the best thing about Sandman, however, I found this chapter difficult to pick up. It's been a bit of a slog but it seems to get moving towards the end.
MischaS_
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Upřímně mi chybí doby, kdy byl Sandman černobílý. Mělo to tak jisté větší kouzlo. A zjišťuji, že docela začínám zapomínat, co se stalo v předchozích dílech, protože je vždy něco zmíněno a ne vždy si vzpomenu.
Beth
My shorter, spoiler-free review first: I’ve given 5 stars to two of the earlier volumes, but this is probably my very favorite. The title indicates the theme of this volume: the briefness of life, even for the very long-lived; and change in general, and the characters’ resistance to it. The first few issues are very meandering, in a fun way, but the second half becomes pretty intense as important things start to fall into place. The Endless are at the heart of this volume, but this version of th ...more
  • Lucifer, Vol. 11: Evensong
  • Fables, Vol. 10: The Good Prince
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9: The Cure
  • Promethea, Vol. 3
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 3: Entropy in the U.K.

The Sandman (10 books)
  • Preludes & Nocturnes (The Sandman, #1)
  • The Doll's House (The Sandman, #2)
  • Dream Country (The Sandman, #3)
  • Season of Mists (The Sandman, #4)
  • A Game of You (The Sandman, #5)
  • Fables & Reflections (The Sandman, #6)
  • World's End (The Sandman, #8)
  • The Kindly Ones (The Sandman, #9)
  • The Wake (The Sandman, #10)
“I like the stars. It's the illusion of permanence, I think. I mean, they're always flaring up and caving in and going out. But from here, I can pretend...I can pretend that things last. I can pretend that lives last longer than moments. Gods come, and gods go. Mortals flicker and flash and fade. Worlds don't last; and stars and galaxies are transient, fleeting things that twinkle like fireflies and vanish into cold and dust. But I can pretend...” 1112 likes
“She said we all not only could know everything. We do. We just tell ourselves we don't to make it all bearable.” 168 likes