Start by marking “The Adventure Of The Christmas Pudding, And A Selection Of Entrées” as Want to Read:
The Adventure Of The Christmas Pudding, And A Selection Of Entrées

The Adventure Of The Christmas Pudding, And A Selection Of Entrées (Hercule Poirot #33)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  7,209 Ratings  ·  323 Reviews
Don’t eat the pudding…

On a silver dish the Christmas pudding reposed in all its glory. A large football of a pudding, a piece of holly stuck in it like a triumphant flag and glorious flames of blue and red rising round it. There was a cheer and cries of “Ooh-ah”.

Hercule Poirot merely surveyed the portion on his plate with a rather curious expression on his face. A result,
Mass Market Paperback, 224 pages
Published 1963 by Fontana (first published October 24th 1960)

Phrynne
A nice little collection of short stories, mostly starring Hercule Poirot and one about Miss Marple. The title story about the Christmas pudding was the best one with a clever idea and a number of possible murderers. A couple of the other stories were not so effective. I must admit I do not really enjoy short stories. I always feel they stop just when I want them to get going. These ones however were not bad!
Issa Deerbany
Jan 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
استمتعت ببعض الحبكات القصيرة
رغم ان القصص الطويلة اجمل وأروع ولكن للتغيير وهو مطلوب
Vitor Martins
Esse foi meu primeiro contato com Agatha Christie. Não foi um livro surpreendente mas me deixou bem curioso pra ler os casos mais famosos da autora!

É difícil avaliar livros de contos porque sempre tem uns que se sobressaem mais do que outros mas acho que nesse compilado todos seguem o mesmo nível. "O mistério da Arca Espanhola" foi meu favorito!

Só me decepcionei um pouco porque achei que seriam contos de natal mas só o primeiro (que da titulo ao livro) tem essa temática.

Ainda assim, estou ansio
SumitRK
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short story collection featuring 6 stories incl The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding,
The Mystery of the Spanish Chest, The Under Dog, Four and Twenty Blackbirds, The Dream and Greenshaw's Folly.
All the stories were good. But of all the stories, The Mystery of the Spanish Chest, The Under Dog ,The Dream and Greenshaw's Folly really stood out. The plot, the characters and the main mystery, all were truly excellent and unique. If you are a Poirot fan and if you enjoy short stories, you will
Brooklyn Tayla
These short stories were all exquisite - I couldn't choose a favourite one, for I loved them all. Poirot and Aunt Jane Marple never disappoint, nor does their creator, Agatha Christie. Each mystery was fabulous as they were intriguing! I recommend this to any fan of 'cozy crime', or anyone who's just looking for a great set of mysteries to read :)
Tamsien West (Babbling Books)
3.5 stars. A fun collection of crime mysteries solved by Hercule Poirot, with a bonus one solved by Miss Marple. Sadly only one story in the collection of 6 is actually set at Christmas time, so this wasn't as 'Christmassy' as I was hoping. Overall the stories are well structured for such short crime snippets, revealing and resolving themselves in Christie's signature dramatic style.

As with all Christie's novels the attitudes towards servants being best when they have no discernible personality,
Litzy
acabo el 2015 con Agatha christie. Mi mejor descubrimiento del año. haber como comenzamos 2016. FELIZ AÑO a TODOS !!! HAPPY NEW YEAR! ( ³)❤ ...more
Poonam
Another Christmas Mystery- involving a theft of a Royal Ruby. Quiet transparent as to the cuplrit but a good read.
Aylavella
Dec 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
5 historias cortas de la magnífica Agatha Christie. Una delicia reecontrarse con Poirot (4 historias) y Miss Marple (1 historia).
Entretenido, en la línea de esta autora.
Cristiana de Sousa
3.5⭐
Uma óptima leitura para esta época do ano, com um toque de suspense ideal. Super divertido de se ler. Os contos são curtos mas muito bem conseguidos. Aconselho e muito.
Neti Triwinanti
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Merupakan koleksi cerita pendek yang sebagian besarnya merupakan kasus Hercule Poirot (ada 1 di paling akhir tentang Miss Marple).
Saya suka sekali cerita "Yang Tak Diperhitungkan". Mungkin bukan karena motif atau cara pembunuhannya, tetapi lebih karena background ceritanya. Membaca cerpen yang dijadikan judul novel ini sendiri (Skandal Perjamuan Natal) juga cukup seru (seperti sepotong kue/ piece of cake).
Meskipun selama membaca buku ini, saya menyadari ternyata saya belum terlalu 'mengenal' Her
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
I read this book in portuguese. This books are translated by RBA and I think that their translator is quite good. (Usually I am against reading translated books but I have this collection so...)

First of all I have a theory... don't know if it's true or not but... three of these stories Agatha Christie complains or criticize the new age she was living. This book was written when she was 70 years old and since she had been born and live her adult life with a mentality I think the new age of the 40
Suvi
Around Christmastime, I figured it'd be nice to start a tradition and read something light and Christmasy (but not fluffy), and Christie knocked on my door again. Because the collections have a confusing publication history, I noticed I had actually read some of the stories before in another collection, but I couldn't remember the murderers anymore, so a reread was in order.

The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding was the only one set during Christmas, and in her foreword Christie explains how her
Jules
Casi interessanti, alcuni mi tenevano incollata al libro, come il primo Il caso del dolce di Natale. È la prima volta che leggo un libro con protagonista Poirot e non si può non amare!
Marleen
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read at least one seasonal book during this Christmas time, and this seemed a nice choice. Christie’s books seem appropriate for this season due to their tone and settings alone, regardless of the time of year they take place in.
As it turned out, in this collection of stories only the first is set during Christmas celebrations, but that didn’t affect my enjoyment of the book at all.
In “The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding” Hercule Poirot is invited to join a traditional countryside
Valentina Markasović
2015 reading challenge - a book of short stories

I've been meaning to read this book for over a year, but it was always checked out of the library when I wanted to borrow it... But now I've finally read it and I enjoyed it very much!

The book consists of 6 short stories.

The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding was an enjoyable story and I especially liked how the plot was in-cooperated in the seasonal setting.

In The Mystery of the Spanish Chest, Poirot is faced with a deeply emotional case, along wi
Donna
Dec 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
I enjoyed this book. I don't think I have ever given a collection of short stories 4 stars. But this one was a fun read. The stories were from the Hercule Poirot series. Two of these were 5 star worthy, the others, not so much. The ones I really liked always leave me with the feeling of wanting more. But overall, I enjoyed this.
Cheryl Landmark
Apr 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice little collection of short stories from my favourite mystery writer and featuring two of my favourite detectives, Hercule Poirot and Jane Marple. Of all the stories, I enjoyed The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding best.
Ririn
Yes! I did guessed rightly on a few mysteries. Haha...

Actually, it might be because these are short stories, so the plot can't be developed much and thus makes them easier to catch on.

But still, I'm really proud of myself! Hahaha
Angie
Nov 29, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas, mystery

Nice, short mystery with a twist. Loved the Christmas ambience and, of course, the Pudding!! Poirot does it again!
Catie
**3.5 Stars**

Read December 2016 for @maidensofmurder read along and for #ChristmasWithChristie.
Raquel Mattoso
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tem resenha lá no blog! Vem ler?!
Geetanjali
Rating: 3.5/5
This review can also be found on my blog Musings of a Bibliophile

A short story collection concocted by one of my favourite childhood authors Dame Agatha Christie seemed like the perfect book to curl up in bed with this Christmas holiday.Christie refers herself as 'the chef' of this book of Christmas fare which is described as 'The Chef's Collection' in her foreword. There are two main courses:The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding and The Mystery of the Spanish Chest; a selection o
Erin L
This is a bind-up of several short stories by Agatha Christie. The majority are Hercule Poirot with one short Miss Marple at the end.

They are pretty standard for Agatha Christie. I enjoyed them, of course. A fun read for the Christmas season.
Dhuaine
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Surprisingly enjoyable collection of short stories. It looks like a compilation of plot ideas that didn't quite get to become novels, but they're pretty good, not throwaways. Each story has decent introduction, murder, twist, and resolution. They don't feel rushed or not fleshed out enough, they're just short and making them artificially longer to meet novel requirement would just detract from the story. There were some weaker ones in here too, but all in all I was very pleasantly surprised by t ...more
Jose
Mais para as 2.5*...
Não sei se foi um misto do momento em que o li com o facto de serem contos (um género que, já por si, me é difícil), mas a verdade é que esta leitura arrastou-se mais do que o devido (considerando que é Agatha Christie) e nenhum dos casos foi especialmente marcante... Além disso, existiram algumas semelhanças entre eles que acho que diminuíram o factor surpresa.
Kate Millin
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lovely series of short stories - five of them with Poirot and the final one with Miss Marple. I was no good at working out 'who did it' even though some of them I have seen televised. A little confused by the Poirot Four and Twenty Blackbirds when the televised one I saw was a very different story with Miss Marple. A light read but intriguing.
Kathryn
I’m sure I’ve read this collection of short stories before, but it would have been many years ago. I’m not usually a fan of short stories, but I do enjoy Agatha Christie's. Only the first one is Christmas-themed, and the last one is a Miss Marple (the remainder are Hercule Poirot).
Sandy
Because of time constraints and the need to return this inter-library loan book, I only read the title story (58 pages). The others look like fun. Maybe someday I will get the book again and finish it.
Chez
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Made me want to eat oyster soup and plum pudding... I just love how Agatha Christie can make crime feel so wholesome and cosy.
Agatha Christie L...: January 2016 - The Adventure of the Christmas Pudding 13 70 Dec 13, 2016 04:53AM
  • Tied Up In Tinsel (Roderick Alleyn, #27)
  • The Life and Times of Hercule Poirot
  • The Scoop and Behind the Screen
  • The Saltmarsh Murders (Mrs. Bradley, #4)
  • Striding Folly (Lord Peter Wimsey, #15)
  • Christmas at The Mysterious Bookshop
  • Miss Silver Deals With Death (Miss Silver, #6)
  • The Rivals of Sherlock Holmes
  • An English Murder
  • The Dead of Jericho (Inspector Morse, #5)

More about Agatha Christie...

Hercule Poirot (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot, #1)
  • The Murder on the Links (Hercule Poirot, #2)
  • Poirot Investigates (Hercule Poirot, #3)
  • The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)
  • The Big Four (Hercule Poirot, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot, #6)
  • Black Coffee (Hercule Poirot, #7)
  • Peril at End House (Hercule Poirot, #8)
  • Lord Edgware Dies (Hercule Poirot, #9)
  • Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10)

“A weak man in a corner is more dangerous than a strong man. (Inspector Miller)” 21 likes
“Ah," said Mr Jesmond, "but Christmas in England is a great institution and I assure you at Kings Lacey you would see it at its best. It's a wonderful old house, you know. Why, one wing of it dates from the fourteenth century."

Again Poirot shivered. The thought of a fourteenth-century English manor house filled him with apprehension. He had suffered too often in the historic country houses of England. He looked round appreciatively at his comfortable modern flat with its radiators and the latest patent devices for excluding any kind of draught.

"In the winter," he said firmly, "I do not leave London.”
1 likes