Start by marking “Creative Spirit” as Want to Read:
Creative Spirit

Creative Spirit

A modern Gothic thriller

After parapsychologist Anna Galloway is diagnosed with terminal cancer, she has a recurring dream in which she sees her own ghost. The setting of her dream is the historic Korban Manor, and she's compelled to face the secrets of her soul.

Sculptor Mason Jackson has come to the manor to make a final, all-or-nothing attempt at success before giving up
Published August 15th 2010 by Haunted Computer Books

To ask other readers questions about Creative Spirit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Creative Spirit

Jon Recluse
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
You can add Korban Manor to the listing of sinister "unreal estate", right up there with Belasco House and Hill House. A chillingly atmospheric haunted house tale that will have you leaving the lights on long after you finally put it down.
Kimberly
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this one a couple of years ago, but some of the scenes are still fresh in my mind! Absolutely captivating imagery. This was an excellent character-driven novel that had enough twists and turns to make quite an impression on me. Definitely a story I can see myself re-reading!

Edit from re-read: I found myself really drawn into this novel with this second read. On top of being character-driven, the intense atmosphere was incredibly prevalent! The storyline was eerie right from the beginning,
Sara
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was ok
A horror novel about an old mansion harboring the soul of its creator artist, Creative Spirit tells the story of a group of artists there on retreat whose souls are desired by the long departed owner. A little bizarre, not terribly scary, I think I was looking for a bit more that never appeared. There were some good scenes, though. I ended with some questions that went unanswered.
Books
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is probably the shortest review I’ve written on any book so far, but “Creative Spirit” is easy to sum up in a few sentences, so here goes.

“Unputdownable” doesn’t roll off the tongue so well for me, but that’s just what it is. Wonderfully creepy are also great words to capture the essence of this book. For quite some time now I’ve been searching around for a book that would scare the living daylights out of me, as I am a big horror / paranormal fan, and don’t scare easily. How lucky for me t
Susan Anderson
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I loved this book.

Scott Nicholson dips into the tradition of Appalachian folk lore, mining its lode of celtic and Scottish fables, and fashions a world of his own making in CREATIVE SPIRIT, molding myth into horror, creating a haunting tale where ghosts and evil spirits interact with humans and fight for power. The story had me hooked from the opening sentence.

On one level CREATIVE SPIRIT is a riveting horror story peopled with ghosts and flesh and blood characters—artists, photographers and wri
May Fungi From Yuggoth
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Horror, Supernatural, paranormal, historical
Delightful! Lyrical prose-horror viewed through the kaleidoscope of realism and shifting reality-finely tuned characterization-and a pace that allows no stopping nor turning back-another Scott Nicholson gem! Every one of Author Nicholson’s books I’ve read has been a winner, but some are even beyond exceptional, and “Creative Spirit” is one of these. I absolutely could not turn away from this book-I felt as if I was devouring it rather than reading it.

This is not a novel in which the horror begin
Darcia Helle
This book made me want to cover my eyes and hide in the closet - but I couldn't put it down long enough. You won't find a typical ghost or haunted house story here. The plot is original and kept me on edge from start to finish. Scott Nicholson has a gift for breathing life into his words, inviting us to step into his characters' world and share their experiences. If you're looking for horror with substance, this is the one for you.
Ms. Nikki
After the initial roll call of the characters, my attention span waned a bit. The ongoings of some of the artists weren't driving the story forward fast enough. I don't know if the ending was as thrilling as it should have been. The writing was solid. I think it was the pacing that made this a good, put-downable, gothic tale.
S. Wideman
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Somehow, I had three Scott Nicholson books on my kindle. "Drummer Boy" was the first, a book I felt was so horrible that I would never read another book by said author. Joke was on me. Because, as I said, three were on my kindle. This was the second book, and it was only marginally better. At least I finished it.

So, we have Korban Manor, an awesome artistic retreat where folks of artistic abilities can come and recharge their juices for a very hefty price. I got the feeling that they only allowe
Indie Books List
Click here to read the full review as it originally appeared on our blog.

We’ve all seen the set up before: A small group of strangers are invited to an opulent mansion beyond the reaches of civilization. They get to know each other, somebody dies, strange events ensue, then the waiter comes around with dessert.

“Creative Spirit” is anything but bad dinner theatre.

The book opens with an introduction to the frantic Sylva. She’s going to the home of Ephram Korban: land baron and occult figure. We ge
Christina Francine
Todd NC 28684
www.hauntedcomputer.com
ISBN# 978-1-4524-2668-6
Reviewed by Christina Francine

Life leads us down paths we don’t always understand the reasons and as we step tentatively, continuing though we don’t know why, life reveals answers. When the path doesn’t make sense and is out of our character, not only do others question our right mind, we do too. Yet, we’re
Quentin Stewart
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was drawn to this book by its setting. I am from the Appalachian Mountain region and find myself interested in stories based within the ridges and deep hollows throughout the area. This is my introduction to Mr. Nicholson and found him to be an excellent storyteller and writer.

Imagine a group of artists on a retreat, each trying to recapture the "creative spirit" that for many has slipped away, only to find themselves trapped and being used by a the spirit of the man who built the mansion that
Matt
Jan 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I don't usually read the Gothic thriller genre, but I downloaded this as a Kindle freebie so I gave it a chance. It was well written and definitely had me hooked early on. The story was creative enough that it pulled me along, even though it felt like horror movies I have watched in the past.

I only gave it 3 stars because I wasn't compelled to finish it quickly. I was able to put it down after only 1 or 2 chapters, which is not typical for me. I tend to read books in 3-4 sittings, this one was m
Scott Collins
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Artists from all over the country come to awaken their muse as a historic countryside mansion that some say is haunted by the long dead owner. Little do they know just how haunted the mansion and surrounding lands really are. Who can and cannot be trusted? Who's dead and who's alive? Is it the artists doing the creating or something far more evil and powerful?

Another great story by Scott Nicholson. It's full of detail, imagination and creepy goodness. Well done.
Pamela
Jan 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read this in print form year ago when it was under another name. Still a good horror novel to read, bu then Scott Nicholson writes them well. He pulls you into the story and you walk with the characters, feel with them, and know the terror they encounter.
Sharon
Nov 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
Just don't get why anyone likes this book. I found the what were meant to be scary bits, at times laughable. Faces appearing in the smoke filled mirrors. Solid wood sculptures climbing ladders. No suspense, no real plot. Just shows how tastes can differ so very much.
Wayne's
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
An entertaining story but a little too obvious.
Willi
I tried to get into this book but it was hard.It was an ok read but nothing spectacular.
Mert
Feb 24, 2014 rated it did not like it
pretty lame I thought. Potentially interesting horror scenario but the character development was pretty weak and the whole thing felt rushed.
Jeanine
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent, unusual ghost story. The kind you can't put down.
Carolyn Sanders
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like ghosts?

If you do, this one is for you. As a die hard Stephen King fan, my expectations run high. This book held my interest and was easy to get through and understand. There were some tedious parts but overall has a lot going for it as well as relatable characters.
Maria Coro Arruti
One the most boring "horror" books I've ever read. Where is the "horror" I really don't know, it was a very badly told fairy tale. Infantile, without depth, without answers, without interest. A book written in a hurry, and it shows.
Jane Wynne
Apr 16, 2019 rated it liked it
A good old fashioned ghost story. Not what I was expecting having read one of Nicholson's zombie books, but I was soon drawn in to the story and I was pleasantly surprised. Good narrative which soon becomes compulsive reading.
Carolyn
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creative

Love when a writer can think of in there own box. Not write a story that someone already wrote but put their own spin on it. Thank you Mr. Nicholson.
Deb
Jun 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting, spooky book! The ending wasn’t satisfying to me after all the great intensity but it’s certainly was worth the read.
Angeline
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one a lot. The plot was adequately creepy to keep me interested without being over the top horror. I felt a couple of the characters were slightly predictable, but there were others fleshed out enough that I wanted to know more even when the book ended. If I had a complaint, it would be that the book could've been longer and delved into some of the background of the main characters more... and I was still a little hungry at the end. I definitely recommend this read if you are some ...more
Chuck Briggs
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the first Scott Nicholson book I've gotten around to reading. He is an established author toiling the independent publishing scene, has a good blog going at "ghostinthemachine.com" and has edited a useful book on writing available cheaply for the Amazon Kindel. (I got mine free) called "Write good or Die." From what I've seen, Scott’s books are quite professional both in content, editing and packaging. Nice covers. He gives away a lot of his back catalog and his current offerings are rea ...more
TC
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I am taking part in Be Nicholson's Agent, where Scott is giving away 15% of his Sept e-book earnings to readers and bloggers, and have read this book for that event.

This is one creepy book! The atmosphere created is filled with menace and foreboding, and yet the artists on the retreat feel they are being driven by their creative visions, rather than being manipulated by an unseen force. Some of the descriptions of the locale make it sound beautiful, while Korban Manor itself is sinister and oppr
Marti
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, thriller
I really did enjoy this book, which took me pleasantly by surprise given it was a free Amazon download. In this book, a diverse group of creative people have gathered for a 6 week "stretching of the creative juices" in a wonderfully old gothic sort of mansion set high up in the Appalacian hills. The story goes that the house's long deceased builder had left a bequest that the mansion be used as a respite and inspiration for various kinds of creative artists. As the story opens, the people are ga ...more
Doskoi_panda
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebook
Scott Nicholson's novel Creative Spirit is a paranormal novel set in the Appalachian mountains in an old mansion that is being run as an artist's retreat. The story opens on the arrival of a group of guests, and a scene to demonstrate the remoteness of the mansion - it isn't accessible by car, and there is a bridge worthy of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom to cross by foot before they arrive at the house itself. The mansion is kept to the 1800's lifestyle, with no modern amenities, and with ...more
Haunted House Exp...: Creative Spirit 1 3 Sep 22, 2015 08:04AM

• Demon's Night (Jason Dark, #1)
  • The Nightmare Within
  • The Vampire Club
  • Dark Before Dawn
  • Malice
  • Fated
  • The Dark Path (The Legacy Chronicles, #0.5)
  • Bullied:  The Complete Series
  • The Curse of Allie Mae (Cades Cove, #1)
  • The Grief Frequency
  • The House on Mayberry Road
  • A Soul to Steal (The Sanheim Chronicles, #1)
  • Be Still, My Love (Tess Schafer-Medium, #1)
  • Finding Poe
  • Ultimate Thriller Box Set
  • Ashlyn's Radio
  • Dead of Winter (The Rift #2)
  • Forgotten Soul (Soul Searchers, #1)
With more than 800,000 books sold worldwide, Scott Nicholson is an international bestselling thriller writer. He won the Writers of the Future Award in 1999 and was a Stoker Award finalist in 2003. His Fear series was published by Amazon's Thomas & Mercer imprint and 47North released the supernatural thriller McFALL.

He's also published a number of supernatural, paranormal, and fantasy books an