Start by marking “A Good Birth, A Safe Birth: Choosing and Having the Childbirth Experience You Want” as Want to Read:

Based on a survey of two thousand women and responses from readers of the first and second editions, this complete and accurate guide enables women and their partners to take control of the childbirth experience. Diana Korte and Roberta M. Scaer, both long-time La Leche leaders, analyze today's childbirth options and help readers to choose among them â?? to find "Dr. ...more
Paperback, Third Revised Edition, 368 pages
Published September 16th 1992 by Harvard Common Press (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about A Good Birth, A Safe Birth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Good Birth, A Safe Birth

Start your review of A Good Birth, A Safe Birth: Choosing and Having the Childbirth Experience You Want
Beth
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thoroughly enjoyed the surveys from women’s birth experiences, many of which echoed my own hospital induction exactly. This is a fantastic guide of how to ensure your birth goes according to your desires, and not by the pressures of medical routine or uninformed practitioners. Unless you know your options, you have none.
Anne-Michelle
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, and the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because it's very outdated. The most recent edition was published in 1992, and I'm sure a great deal has changed in the medical industry over the last 18 years! With that said, the book provided a lot of great information and encouragement about how to have a natural, drug-free birth. I skimmed over sections that I am proficient in, and I focused more on sections that will be new experiences for me, including home birth ...more
Abby
Aug 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any expecting parents
This book talked a lot about your options in pregnancy and birth. It was eye opening on some subjects, others I had already covered in other books. Very easy to read, though, as far as medical jargon goes, and has some resources in the back that are helpful.
HeavyReader
Jun 21, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in having babies but suspicious of Western medicine
A must-read for any pregnant woman or any woman who thinks she might want to have kids one day.

This may not be the must up-to-date edition. Get whatever is most recent.
Amy
Dec 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Such an important read. Pregnant women should learn as much as they can and be in charge of their birth. This is a good start!
Emily Grace
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I'm actually reading this for my Birth Doula classes.
Marci
Katy
Aug 23, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
1 follower
Diana Korte is the author of several books and the winner of more than forty journalism awards, including the American Academy of Pediatrics Award. She writes on parenting for the Los Angeles Times Syndicate and Mothering magazine. A mother of four, she lives in Boulder, Colorado.

-harvardcommonpress.com