Start by marking “As the Pig Turns (Agatha Raisin, #22)” as Want to Read:
As the Pig Turns (Agatha Raisin, #22)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

As the Pig Turns

(Agatha Raisin #22)

Winter Parva, a traditional Cotswolds village, has decided to throw a celebratory hog roast to mark the beginning of the winter holiday festivities and Agatha Raisin has arrived with friend and rival in the sleuthing business, Toni, to enjoy the merriment.

But as the spit pig is carried towards the bed of fiery charcoal Agatha—and the rest of the village—realize that thing
Audio CD, 7 pages
Published September 13th 2011 by AudioGO

To ask other readers questions about As the Pig Turns, please sign up.

Start your review of As the Pig Turns (Agatha Raisin, #22)
Barbara
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-challenge

In this 22nd book in the 'Agatha Raisin' series, the private detective makes a startling discovery at a pig roast. The book can be read as a standalone, but knowing the characters is a bonus.

*****

Private detective Agatha Raisin - a stout fiftyish Englishwoman with small bear-like eyes and shiny brown hair - lives alone in Carsley, a pretty village in the Cotswolds. Business is slow and Agatha is bored - so she takes some friends and employees to nearby Winter Parva for a festive pig roa
Jennifer Nichols
I enjoy this mindless series, but this one had a glaring mistake that kept bugging me the whole book. Last book introduced Simon, a character i enjoyed whose parents were recently killed in a car accident. In this one he comes back, but his parents are alive and are wealthy and spoil him. I'm generally willing to suspend all disbelief, but continuity is important.
Annette
What a terrible shame.What once was a brilliantly executed set of funny , believable and well written stories has finally come to an end.I say this because the last few novels in the series have just been utter rubbish .Sorry to those that still think they are brilliant but in my honest opinion they have lost all what made them good .

Ive read every single one of MC Beatons Agatha Raisin series and they have got progressively worse and this one is no exception.

A thrown together plot that lost its
Claude
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite enjoyable. However I'm wondering. Wasn't Simon an orphan in one of the previous installments? Well, in As The Pig Turns both his parents were suddenly alive again. Sloppy plotting?
Sharon Barrow Wilfong
Another fine discovery.

The mystery was fun and simple but what really sold me on this book were the cast of characters. They were so human and funny. I love Agatha Raisin. She is middle-aged, overweight, smokes, drinks and is brassy as all get out. She shoots her mouth off, sticks her foot in it, yet really cares about her friends and workers.

I was also pleasantly surprised at the fairly respectful attitude she took towards the church. I get really tired of church people being parodied like we'r
Berit☀️✨
Picking up a book in this series and spending time with Agatha and her friends ...is definite comfort reading for me....
I do realize the plot in this book was a little OK a lot unbelievable, but I don't care.... it is the characters, I love seeing what Agatha gets up to next....Charles alwaysmakes me smile ... Love the addition of Tony to the detective agency in the last few books and also found it amusing Agatha pining after the gardener .... I appreciated the fact that James is getting concern
Nancy
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am convinced that MC Beaton does not use a plotting outline when she sits down to writer her books in the Agatha Raisin series. Any book that begins with Mrs. Bloxby convinced that her husband is having an affair, an idea that is never revisited, and ends with the Bulgarian mafia, leaves the reader wondering if there is any pre-thought or just the ramblings of a bored writer.

The Agatha Raisin series is one that I revisit often since there is no deep thought needed to get through them. The same
Kwoomac
After reading the blurb on the back of the book, I thought I was going to just love this character: "Agatha (Raisin) is like Miss Marple with a drinking problem, a pack-a-day habit, and major man lust." The protagonist, Agatha Raisin, is a 50-something detective working in an English village. It turns out she's not as spunky as I was expecting and she's not really a terribly clever detective. (view spoiler) ...more
Cynthia K
Although I am a big fan of British mysteries, I had not read any of the novels featuring Agatha Raisin. Jumping into the series at the 22nd installment colored my opinion of the book. I should note that the reason I am encountering this author/character for the first is that I won a copy of this book from a Goodreads giveaway.

It was a good story, but I was distracted by trying to keep up with the characters. In addition to the suspects and those people associated with the killers, I had to sort
Jules
As the Pig Turns wasn't one of my favourite books in the Agatha Raisin series, but it was still an enjoyable read. It's always fun revisiting some of the regular characters and seeing Agatha get up to her usual shenanigans.

It's definitely a series I recommend if you enjoy easy to read cosy crime mystery solving novels with fun characters.
Gerry
May 02, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What is intended to be a special January event of a pig roast on the village green at Winter Parva turns out to be the beginning of a murder investigation. And Agatha Raisin is, once again, at the centre of it all.

The pig that is to be roasted turns out to be something else, a dead police officer, and as it is Agatha who alerts the authorities to the possibilities, she is quickly pulled in for questioning by the police. Her friend in the force Bill Wong makes it clear that she should keep away f
Frankie Saxx
I really enjoy how none of the detectives find it noteworthy that Simon's parents, who were dead by car crash in the previous book, turn up at his wedding.
Plum-crazy
Oh what to say about this book..well, the word dire keeps springing to mind but that may be a wee harsh! For a bit of background I've read 22 of this series now & to be frank was losing interest about 6 or 7 books back!

So the basis for this story (& it's all on the back cover so it's not a spoiler) is at a hog roast it's found that a body has replaced the traditional pig. Now in any other story this would warrant a bit more detail (& in many cases a lot of blood & gore!) but no, that's about al
OjoAusana
May 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020
March 2020
Ah yes the head in box forgot about that lmao also love how like they both just happen to go to the SAME place in LA like? and rob got kidnapped lmao surprised he stops crying about that.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love reading this series, it is the definition of "cozy murder" book for me. The main character can be a bit, cranky and close minded but not annoying so. I enjoy that the same characters show up throughout the series. The
John Frankham
Feb 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-detective
How could I have allowed myself to read another of these absurd books: badly written, poor characterization of caricatured stock personnel, lazy repetitive plots, unlikeable heroine. But I know I'll probably read another. Why?
Joy Pixley
This was a lighthearted cozy mystery that was easy to read and had plenty of plot twists and dangerous situations. It rambled and got bogged down in subplots and what I hope were intentional red herrings, rather than plot points that just petered out and were forgotten. Other than the initial conceit of the story (view spoiler), the murder plot ...more
Alicia Jespersen(BehindThePicketFence)
1.5 Daggers

What started out as a fun cozy mystery quickly turned into a book with, what seemed to me little talent and a much slower plot than I usually expect from a cozy. Now I have read other Agatha Raisin mysteries and quite enjoyed them but "As The Pig Turns" had none of the excitement, or fun qualities of some of Ms. Beaton's previous books.

Agatha Raisin seemed to become more of a bitter old lady, by expressing rude conclusions and just pushing other characters around. Which is sort of par
Jayne
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure why I continue with this series. The writing is shoddy, there's very little character development, a ton of rabbit chasing, and there's no continuity between books.

Seriously, it's to the point that I truly believe the later books were written by a ghost writer who only glanced through the earlier ones. In this one, Simon's parents, who were killed in a car crash before we ever met Simon (a major story line in the previous book), were suddenly alive and well and cleaning up after th
Mayda
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy, mystery
Agatha Raisin is at it again in this newest installment of M. C. Beaton’s wonderful series. Poor Agatha never seems to be in the right place at the right time. Either she is miserable because she is alone and lonely, or she is literally falling over dead bodies in public places. Agatha is good soul at heart, even though she sometimes fails to do the right thing. But watching her get in and out of scrapes is half the fun of reading an Agatha Raisin mystery, and the other half is seeing if you can ...more
Nancy
I won As the Pig Turns in a goodreads giveaway and was excited about my introduction to a "New York Times Bestselling" mystery author. Maybe the that tag line raised my hopes too high.

This book is populated with plenty of "characters" and is fast paced with lots of twists and turns. Unfortunately the scenes felt thrown together and the story lacked the thread of truth that makes a work of fiction enjoyable. There was no character I could like or root for.

Perhaps this is a series that only wor
Mini
Peggy
Jul 03, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-england
#22 in the Agatha Raisin series, one of the few books I can read in a day. Very light, but funny and somehow you have sympathy for Agatha in spite of her rudeness, and lack of growth and self-awareness. The plot of this one is a little convoluted, but all the familiar secondary characters are present and accounted for.
Lauren
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Definitely not the best Agatha Raisin adventure. The plot itself was fine and Agatha was great as always, but this story focused so much on Toni, who I find unforgivably uninteresting, that I was bored most of the time. And I couldn't possibly care less about the "drama" between Toni and Simon, so the fact that half of the book focuses on their relationship just irritated me.
Dagny
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beaton-m-c
Probably actually 3 1/2 stars. I enjoyed it, but it seemed there were just too many unlikable side characters for my taste.
Nola
I actually listened to the audiobook of this one, but couldn't find the audio cover.

This is the 22nd in the Agatha Raisin series, so probably not the best one to start on. I know her a bit from the TV series, but it took me a while to get my head round the cast of 1000s. Agatha turns up to a spit roast one foggy evening, but as the fog clears, she realises that the 'pig' being roasted is actually the torso of a man. It turns out to be a policeman nobody liked because he was giving everyone tick
Banshee
This novel is a fun, silly, easy to read cozy mystery. I'm probably being generous with 4 stars but I recently put down a novel as DNF and in comparison this novel is amazing.

The plot was interesting but silly. The idea of a police officer being put on a rig roast was unique but unlikely, especially when the killer and their motive was revealed. The last thing he/she would want would be more attention.

The characters were great, except Simon and Tony. Tony had too much of a damsel in distress a
Damaskcat
Mar 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Raisin is targeted by a local policeman who seems to be hiding behind the hedge every time she is doing anything even slightly wrong. She gets tickets for blowing her nose while she is in a traffic jam and then is stopped for speeding when only two miles an hour above the speed limit. When the unpopular policeman turns up playing a key role in a hog roast rather too many people remember Agatha's colourful threats against him and she becomes prime suspect.

This is a complicated plot with pl
Mary
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Sam Wilkinson
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still enjoying the Agatha Raisin binge.
Curlyhair
Another in the Agatha Raisin series and in terms of story content one of my favourites and one of the better ones recently - in my opinion. Plenty was packed into this. Yes I have to admit some of this story was a bit far fetched, but still an enjoyable read.

• Snobbery With Violence (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #1)
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • Sick of Shadows (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #3)
  • Deadly Desires at Honeychurch Hall (Honeychurch Hall Mystery, #2)
  • Murder at Honeychurch Hall (Honeychurch Hall Mystery, #1)
  • Our Lady of Pain (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #4)
  • Minerva (The Six Sisters, #1)
  • Crossed Bones (Sarah Booth Delaney, #4)
  • Date with Danger (The Dales Detective Series)
  • Fatality in F (Gethsemane Brown Mysteries #4)
  • Arnaques et petits meurtres
  • Les morts ont du souci à se faire
  • Murder in Pigalle (Aimee Leduc Investigations #14)
  • Lady Fortescue Steps Out (Poor Relation, #1)
  • A Brew to a Kill (Coffeehouse Mystery, #11)
  • The Adventuress (A House for the Season, #5)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John Smith & Sons Ltd. While bookselling, by chance, she got an offer from the Scottish Da

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)