Start by marking “Where Hope Lives” as Want to Read:
Where Hope Lives

Where Hope Lives

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  16 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
A memoir of a young womanthat will resonate with readers across all divides.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published December 2nd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Where Hope Lives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where Hope Lives

Rebecca
The incredible, unstoppable Ali Warren chronicles her first years as a firefighter, starting when she was just 16 years old. Before reading this book, I had an idea that all firefighters were heroic, brave, kind people who acted nobly no matter where they were. Unfortunately, that's not the case in every fire house, and Ali struggled for many years against injustices from mean-spirited people. She persevered with grace and strength, because she knew - she knows - that she is meant to help people ...more
Alicia
Aug 13, 2013 rated it liked it
A book about firefighting-- I can see why the student shared this book with me. It's a great story about Ali's experiencing firefighting from an early age, when she just wanted to belong and be a part of the larger community through firefighting but what she endured as a result as well-- harassment, specifically sexual harassment in a male-dominated field such as firefighting.

Ali persevered, which makes the book endearing. The encouragement in italics through the relationship with "Jim" is what
Alicia
May 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This is Ali Warren's first book. It is a memoir of her struggles becoming a fire fighter. Having been a firefighter myself, I can relate to alot of what she is saying. The book jumps around a bit from one topic to another and some things are detailed while others not so much. It seems pretty novice to me but all in all not a bad story. It is an easy read and didnt take me long to get through it.
Diana
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ali does such a nice job of sharing her story without placing blame or pointing fingers (too much) with what she struggled through. What I really hear is that she found her passion and figured out how to live into the challenges associated with finding one's vocation. I read this book in a weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Debi Achey
Dec 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed her story and courage to stand up to the good ole boys club, having a brother as volunteer fire fighter I could understand how tough it was for her.
Lori Nardone
rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2014
Mlochs421
Nov 12, 2011
David
Jun 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An honest and heartfelt memoir by a fearless writer.
Melissa Parks
Nov 06, 2017
Kristen
Dec 27, 2015
Jillian
Apr 02, 2014
Hannah
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ali wrote a beautiful, brave memoir about fighting for your calling in the face of adversity. I love her story and how her story is also my story and the story of so many others. So thankful for this book and Ali’s courage to put her experience out there for us to read & be reminded of the beauty of hope.
Lindsey
Kelly Ryan
Aug 22, 2018
Abigail Socks
Aug 11, 2015
“Every person who comes into this world must make the decision as to what type of person they want to be. Establishing yourself once is not enough. It's an ongoing, constant effort to separate yourself from who you feel that you are, and from who you want to become.” 5 likes
“Do it. Do whatever makes you feel. Always do the things you think you can't do. Trust in the power that rules the universe, keep walking when the road is long, dare to be fiercely optimistic, and above all, believe in yourself and the power of your dreams.” 0 likes