Start by marking “Infiltrado” as Want to Read:
Infiltrado

Infiltrado

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  1,478 Ratings  ·  181 Reviews
Una sorprendente historia de amor entre un escéptico profesional y una actriz de cine desencantada. La sorpresa (y las dudas...) resultan inevitables al intentar desenmascarar a una médium presunta canalizadora de espíritus del pasado que parece ser capaz de vehicular el espíritu del gran escéptico y crítico de las pseudociencias.
Published September 1st 2006 by Roca (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Infiltrado, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Infiltrado

Flannery
Aug 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Other Connie Willis Lovers
Recommended to Flannery by: My Love of Connie Willis
You might like this book if: You’re a skeptic, you get depressed by this, you know a lot (or a little) about the Scopes Trial, you think séances, channeling, and psychics are a bit of a joke, you love Connie Willis, you are making your way through all the Hugo Award Winners (best novella), you can laugh at yourself for at least thinking once or twice of ordering stuff off of infomercials, or you like H.L. Mencken quotes.

You probably won’t like this book if: You are a creationist, you believe
Althea Ann
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious little novella based around a paradox:

Can the existence of a disembodied spirit prove that a 'channeler' claiming to communicate with spirits is a fraud?

Our protagonist, Rob, is a freelance journalist and professional skeptic. His assistant, Kildy, is a gorgeous and wealthy Hollywood type moonlighting in the field. Rob has a crush on Kildy, but fears she's far out of his league.

It's Kildy who's picked out the latest target for an exposé: The New Age charlatan Ariaura, who channels the
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
3.5

Inside Job is a humorous story of a sceptic journalist Rob, who is in the business of debunking, his wonderful assistant Kilby and their strange and new experience with the spirit world.
His lovely employee Kildy left the glamorous life of a film star to work with him. He hasn't got any idea why. She is 'too good to be true' and he keeps waiting for that inevitable day when she'll get bored and leave. Kildy is lovely.

Kildy has found a new target for them to debunk - a woman who claims she ch
Stephen
4.0 stars. Having been underwhelmed by some of Connie Willis' short fiction, I was surprised at how much I thoroughly enjoyed this tale of a paranormal debunker who comes across a very unusual case. Smart, funny and very well plotted. Recommended!!!

Winner: Hugo Award for Best Novella
Nominee: Locus Award for Best Novella.
Kat  Hooper
Oct 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

I have a goal of eventually reading all of the major SFF award winners, including novels, novellas, novelettes, and short stories, so that’s why I picked up Connie Willis’s Inside Job when I saw that it was available on audio. Inside Job won the Hugo Award for Best Novella in 2006. Just a couple of months ago, by the way, Connie Willis received the SFWA Grand Master Award (January 2012).

Inside Job is a story about Rob, a professional debunker of pseudoscie
Olga Godim
May 19, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-scifi
Too cold, too distant. The writing was OK, but at no point did I care about any of the characters. The story is about charlatans and gurus, mediums of all sorts who perform cheap theatrical tricks, make gullible people believe, and extract good money from their victims for the privilege to be conned. The protagonist makes his living debunking such conmen, and most of the story is a preaching by the author about the harm the unethical quacks inflict on everyone and the need to take them down. The ...more
Bradley
Mar 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Connie Willis is incapable of writing bad stuff. She has a great concept (professional skeptics debunking charlatans), twists (three very good ones, including a very satisfying end twist), and characters right out of a good film noir. Easy to fall into, easy to enjoy, and easy to give 5 stars.
Olethros
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it
-Tocando temas poco trillados.-

Género. Novela corta.

Lo que nos cuenta. En el libro Infiltrado (publicación original: Inside Job, 2005) conoceremos a Rob, que está al frente de la revista El ojo cínico, revista especializada en desenmascarar a psíquicos fraudulentos y denunciar sus comportamientos, delictivos incluso en algunos casos. La joven y bella Kildy trabaja para él desde hace ocho meses, una actriz retirada en el apogeo de su corta carrera y cuya familia está en los puestos más importante
Joshua
Apr 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
INSIDE JOB won the Hugo for best novella in 2006--didn't even know that was an award. I knew they awarded for short-stories, but not for novella. I wonder how many high quality science-fiction novellas are published every year? Anyway, I enjoyed this breezy, over in a heartbeat book from Connie Willis. I have liked Willis in the past [DOOMSDAY BOOK, TO SAY NOTHING OF THE DOG] and recently hated her BLACKOUT. I was really let down by BLACKOUT as time-travel and WW2 and Willis seemed a perfect fit ...more
Shawn Thrasher
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Connie Willis gem. Don't let the length fool you - this pithy little book is chock full of Willis's trademark rich, entanglingly layered, often humorous, occasionally surprising prose. It's a comedy of manners, the manners being a skewering of Hollywood's obession with psychic healing and mediums, the comedy a debunking journalist and his insider actress assistant who discover that a medium may be channeling the ghost of all time greatest debunker of all, H.L. Mencken. And there is a rea ...more
Janine Southard
3.5 stars.

Quick premise summary: A fraudulent medium may or may not have channeled H. L. Mencken, the great skeptic with more famous quotes than Mark Twain (possibly). This causes serious issues for skeptical newspaper owners who both want to believe Mencken has returned...and who couldn't possibly believe in the charlatan who's acting as his channeler.
ambyr
Quick and cute, with an interesting central conundrum and Willis's typical sharp eye for descriptive detail. (Atypically for Willis, people have cell phones and use them; I appreciate a screwball comedy not centered on preventable communication mix-ups.)
Ramón Nogueras Pérez
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comedy
Una breve y deliciosa obra sobre escepticismo, amor y cómo a veces se puede dudar demasiado. No explicaré si el fantasma es de verdad o no. Son sólo 93 páginas para que lo descubráis.
Tim Hicks
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, humour
It's good to find another Willis that I liked, since her recent time travel books went beyond being not-good and all the way into annoying. OK< this is from 2005, but it was new to me.

Like the time travel books, this one shows off Willis's research. I wonder if she gets an idea, researches the heck out of it, and then finds a story in it somewhere -- or does it in another sequence.

The story's JUST the right length for the tale it has to tell. I took it along when I went out for a solo dinne
Joan
Rob is a professional skeptic. He makes a living debunking psychics, channelers, mediums and other frauds. One day, his employee, Kildy Ross, urges him to go see Auriaura Keller, who channels a spirit named "Isus", but she won't tell him what's so different about this woman. They go, and, what a surprise! In the midst of the usual New Age b.s. from this so-called spirit, a second voice interrupts, calling the proceedings "hokum" and Keller a "snakecharming preacher". What the heck is going on?

As
J.P.
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
It seems I either give a four star or two star rating with Connie Wills' books. This fell into the latter category.
A potential buyer should be aware that this is a novella only 99 pages long and the publisher’s price tag is hefty for such a slim volume.
A writer for a magazine that exposes fraudulent psychics thinks he’s being duped by the person who led him to the story. The psychic then starts channeling H.L. Mencken. That’s essentially all there is to it outside of the filler. You don’t have t
Alice
This is a very enjoyable novella. It's about a publisher at a skeptics' publication called Jaundiced Eye who comes across something he can't immediately debunk. The odd thing is, he can't disprove that someone is channeling the famous skeptic, H. L. Mencken.

As Mencken is a hero of his, our narrator, whose only name given is Rob, attacks the problem head-on, doing everything in his power to disprove it as a phenomenon.

It was a short novella, though, so I'm only writing a short review: I enjoyed i
Rosalyn Eves
Jun 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Connie Willis is one of my favorite sci-fi authors: her To Say Nothing of the Dog is one of my favorite books. So I was thrilled to see a book I hadn't read of hers. And while I would agree with other reviewers that this isn't her best, it was still a fun, enjoyable read.

Rob owns and writes for the Jaundiced Eye, a professional debunking magazine. When his lovely assistant (and sole employee) Kildy brings him reports of a new psychic, he's not exactly interested--the psychics are all the same. B
meeners
The sons of bitches are gaining on us!

connie willis! i love you, connie willis. i love everything you write. i love that you are so intelligent and funny and sharp all the damn time, and i love how you can make all these strange and amazing historical events/figures come to life, and i love that you mention my favorite authors all the time - LIKE JAMES M. CAIN AHHHH "baby in the icebox" reference!! - and i love that your main characters are always people i wish i could know in real life.

but i a
Lora
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure the cleverness of this novella will appeal to some. It wasn't enough for me, and even halfway through I just found it a waste of my time. I just put it away. This floored me, because I love Connie Willis. But also, cleverness isn't generally enough for me, anyway.
In the growing attack on Christianity around me, I do have trouble telling when someone is actually attacking my beliefs, and when they are simply setting up a story. Most of the time I can tell the difference. This time, I jus
Lis Carey
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-sf, fiction, audiobooks
Rob's a professional debunker, publisher of a skeptic/debunker magazine. At the insistence of his too-good-to-be-true, beautiful, former actress assistant, Kildy, he attends a performance of a hot new channeler. It's all very normal and boring, with the alleged spirit, Isus, spouting typical "insights" and advice--until a different booms out from the psychic "channeling" him. This voice is different, skeptical, belittling--and oddly familiar.

Is Ariaunna channeling H.L. Mencken?

Or is this a new t
Sarah Sammis
Jan 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At the start of the year I was going through a science fiction binge. On my radar at the time was Connie Willis. I chose two novellas: D. A. and Inside Job.

Rob is a confirmed skeptic. He's sitting in at a psychic reading hoping to debunk an up and coming celebrity psychic. What he sees isn't what he expected. Apparently the psychic is channeling the spirit of a well known skeptic!

The book is short, silly and delightful. I read it in about an hour. I love her humorous books.
Logan
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Purchased as part of a Humble Bundle a while back.
So in this fantastical tale, a professional "skeptic" who exposes charlatans claiming to talk to spirits and channel supernatural beings, is confronted with one who appears to be channeling the deceased atheist H. L. Mencken, who himself railed against charlatans, creationism, God, the Bible, and was champion of the "truth".

While well-written and suspenseful, the worldview bias is crystal clear.
Anthony Faber
Short (around 100 pages) but a bit better than her usual. I really liked "Firewatch" and thought "Domesday Book" was pretty good, but I got the feeling that a lot of her other books came about because she learned about something and felt obliged to use that knowledge in a novel. This doesn't have that feel. I'm not going to spoil it, but skeptics should really enjoy this.
Mitchell
I picked this one up from browsing out the library the moment I spotted the clear sign of a Subterranean Press novella, only double checking that I hadn't already read it.

It was silly and clever and confused. And definitely a different take on debunking psychics. Not brilliant, but worth reading.
Alex Sarll
A novella in which a professional debunker finds himself with a quandary when the latest fraud appears to be channelling his sceptical idol. Witty, and the central conundrum is ingenious, but it felt like it could easily have been done in 50 pages rather than 100.
Karl
Tis is copy 266 of 500 signed numbered copies.
Shelley
May 31, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Decent, but I expect far greater stories from her.
Catherine Siemann
Sep 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Charming but minor novella about skepticism, psychics, and paradox. Willis gets the noir tone right, and the story is delightfully twisty.
Annette
Mar 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
And now I want to read more H.L. Mencken.
  • Nobody's Home: An Anubis Gates Story
  • The Ape's Wife and Other Stories
  • Academic Exercises
  • The Jack Vance Treasury
  • The End of the Sentence
  • Muse of Fire
  • Black Hat Jack
  • Jacaranda (The Clockwork Century, #6)
  • The Top of the Volcano: The Award-Winning Stories of Harlan Ellison
  • The Agonizing Resurrection of Victor Frankenstein and Other Gothic Tales
  • Tortured Souls: The Legend of Primordium
  • The Hunter from the Woods
  • The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox (The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox, #1-3)
  • The Mallet of Loving Correction: Selected Writings from Whatever, 2008-2012
  • The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate
  • Amityville Horrible (Otherworld Stories, #10.8)
  • Digital Domains: A Decade of Science Fiction & Fantasy
  • New Amsterdam (New Amsterdam, #1)
Constance Elaine Trimmer Willis is an American science fiction writer. She is one of the most honored science fiction writers of the 1980s and 1990s.

She has won, among other awards, ten Hugo Awards and six Nebula Awards. Willis most recently won a Hugo Award for All Seated on the Ground (August 2008). She was the 2011 recipient of the Damon Knight Memorial Grand Master Award from the Science Ficti
More about Connie Willis...