Start by marking “The Winter Palace: A Novel of Catherine the Great (Catherine, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Winter Palace: A Novel of Catherine the Great (Catherine, #1)

The Winter Palace: A Novel of Catherine the Great

(Catherine #1)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  10,603 ratings  ·  1,295 reviews
NAMED ONE OF THE BEST BOOKS OF THE YEAR BY
The Wall Street Journal • The Washington Post

From award-winning author Eva Stachniak comes this passionate novel that illuminates, as only fiction can, the early life of one of history’s boldest women. The Winter Palace tells the epic story of Catherine the Great’s improbable rise to power—as seen through the ever-watchful eyes o
Published January 10th 2012 by Bantam (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Winter Palace, please sign up.
Sam Not that much. There is nothing too explicit. The only "sexual" part is described very indirectively

·  10,603 ratings  ·  1,295 reviews

Erin
Find the enhanced version of this and other reviews at: http://flashlightcommentary.blogspot....

Straight out of the gate I have to give Stachniak a lot of points. In a market flooded with Tudor lit, The Winter Palace stands apart. A lover of history and historic fiction, I was overjoyed to see an author branching out. Of course, I wont be happy until someone writes a solid fiction on Crown Prince Rudolf and Baroness Marie Vetsera but Catherine the Great is definitely a step in the right directio
C.W.
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
In the crowded historical fiction marketplace, THE WINTER PALACE stands out for being a book set in mid-eighteenth century Russia, an unusual setting. But what makes this novel unique is its perspective. Told from the viewpoint of Varvara, a young Polish woman who rises to influence in the Russian Court of Tsarina Elizabeth as a spy, we are swept into a tumultuous era when the fortunes of an entire empire hovered on the often incomprehensible whims of the aging tsarina, and where an enterprising ...more
librarianka
Oct 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book sets the stage for the next book, a clever idea. In The Winter Palace we read about what went on before the relatively obscure German princess Sophie Friederike Auguste von Anhalt-Zerbst-Dornburg transformed herself into the empress Catherine the Great.

I found it quite an intense story about what, we would call today, an abusive and toxic environment and women who found themselves living inside it. Sophie and everybody else is placed under the tyranny of empress Elizabeth, who is a cru
Alice Poon
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it

I'm giving this novel 3.7 stars.

This was an entertaining novel that read like a melodrama. The plot is believable and fastidiously executed. The writing is melodious and sentimental. The novel is immensely rich in descriptive details, especially about court etiquette, palatial decor, clothes and jewelry. Having recently read Robert Massie’s factual non-fiction title Catherine the Great: Portrait of a Woman, I can avow that this novel is based on meticulous research.

The novel is written from the
Becky
This book was selected for my Historical Fiction group's January group read, and since I'm trying (somewhat successfully so far, but the year is still young) to read more group read selections, I read this one.

And... Well, I liked it, but I can't say that I loved it. It really wasn't what I was expecting at all, though that's not really a bad thing. Just different.

I had expected this novel of Catherine the Great to be about Catherine the Great. Instead, it was about the girl, Sophie, who would
Misfit
Apr 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Novels on Catherine the Great are few and far between, and I believe most of those are out of print and rather hard to find, so I was thrilled to bits to see a new one coming out. While this is billed as "A Novel of Catherine the Great", the narrator is Barbara (Varvara in Russian), a daughter of a Polish bookbinder who works as a spy in the household of the Empress Elizabeth, beginning at the time a young Princess Sophie is brought to court to marry Elizabeth's nephew and heir. Barbara and the ...more
AliceinWonderland
May 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
- I was so looking forward to this book, only to be disappointed AGAIN!
- The unfortunate part is that the premise of the book, including the time period and all of the characters *could* have had such an interesting story to tell, but Stachniak falls short.
- To start off with, I believe the choice of a first person narrator told from the point of a view of a spy or "tongue" under the guise as a chamber maid ruined the writer's ability to truly potray Catherine the Great.
- I mean, who is she real
Lolly's Library

Eva Stachniak is an excellent writer. She immerses the reader fully into the story, allowing one to hear the susurration of silken petticoats, feel the chill bite of the howling Russian winter wind, smell the perfume and mildew which permeated the grand yet dilapidated Winter Palace. She does so with complex sentences, unlike some historical fiction writers *cough* Philippa Gregory *cough* who can't seem to string together sentences more involved than the "See Jane, See Spot, See Jane a
Bücherwunder
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mit diesem Buch habe ich nach langer Zeit wieder einmal einen historischen Roman zur Hand genommen und es nicht bereut.
Durch die ungewöhnliche Perspektive einer Angestellten des Hofes wird die Geschichte von Katharina der Großen erzählt - bevor sie den russischen Thron für sich eroberte.
Schnell kommt man in die Geschichte und fiebert mit den Protagonisten mit, wobei sich dabei vordergründlich auf deren Privatleben und weniger auf historische Ereignisse oder politische Vorgänge konzentriert wird.
Sue
The Winter Palace is historical fiction, based on historical sources of the life of Catherine the Great of Russia. We see the center of the empire through the eyes of one member of the court, an insignificant child initially brought to Russia by her Polish parents. This child, Barbara, soon to be renamed Varvara, enters into the world of court intrigue after her parents death and we follow the intrigues of court life under Elizabeth, Grand Duke Peter, the search for a wife for Peter, and the tra ...more
Helena (Renchi King)
Za moj ukus previše romantično i bajkovito. Povijesno vrijedna tema potrošena na banalnosti...
Josie
[Audiobook version]

Now that the days are shorter, I was looking for a sweeping historical novel to listen to on the dark drive to and from work. This seemed ideal -- an orphaned Polish girl working in the Russian court becomes one of Empress Elizabeth's "tongues" (a palace spy) but ultimately ends up helping the young German princess Sophie to become the notorious Catherine the Great.

Except, my knowledge of Russian (and European) history of that era is veeeery vague, so I honestly have no idea w
Ivy
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Die Geschichte Russlands durch die Augen von Warwara, Dienerin von Kaiserin Elisabeth und gleichzeitig Spionin von Katharina der Großen.
Die Perspektive war für mich das spannendste in dem Buch. Teilweise gut rüber gebracht durch überraschende Wendung, teilweise aber auch flach und emotionslos, so dass man nicht mitfiebert.
Da hatte ich definitiv mehr erwartet...
Cassandra
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Historischer Roman um Katharina der Großen erzählt aus der Sicht einer Spionin, die zur Freundin der späterin Zarin wird. Liest sich gut, weiß aber noch nicht, ob ich den zweiten Teil in der nächsten Zeit auch lesen werde.
Dem
Jan 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russian-history
The winter palace by Eva is an interesting and easy to read Novel and if you are somebody who does not like to get bogged down with historical dates and facts but like to learn a little of Russian royal courts, then this is the book for you, however if you are somebody who loves historical fiction with a capital L and want your novels to read like history books then you will not enjoy this book.

I picked this book up recently at an airport bookshop as the two books I had packed were heavy reading
Amy
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really so enjoyed this! Right up my alley. Historical Fiction and court intrigue. Politics, succession, warring sides. Relationships, espionage, lavish balls, masques, and dances. Paranoia, crafty long sight planning.

I had always wanted to know more about Catherine the Great. And since this book was all about her rise to Empress, I suppose now I will have to read the sequel.

I think what what was hardest for me about the book, is the way children are treated - particularly children of heirs. K
Manda Scott
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was recently sent two outstanding books for cover quotes. This is the first:

Published in January next year by Doubleday, 'The Winter Palace' is the story of the ascent of the poor little German princess, Sophie who, dragged to the Russian court as bride for the youthful Grand Duke (a Prussian, who spends his life playing with his toy soldiers and fails to consummate their marriage), rises in time to become Catherine the Great.

But she is not great when we meet her: she's the princess with darne
Dorine
Mar 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
The Winter Palace A Novel of Catherine the Great by Eva StachniakFor hardcore Historical fiction lovers, THE WINTER PALACE by Eva Stachniak is an excellent book. The novel gives great insight into Russian history and I thought it was fascinating.

It's written from the point of view of Varvara, a young orphaned woman, who becomes a spy within the Empress' palace. Her father was a bookbinder and upon his death, Varvara is left within the Empress' care. At first, she doesn't have much choice about becoming a spy - it's either that or continue working as a seams
MaryannC.Book Fiend
I wasnt sure if I was going to like this, I read a mixed bag of reviews on this book. This was my first book about Catherine The Great and I have to say I really liked it. I liked the details and the author's writing style. It wasnt complicated, it was just a nice, solid read that kept me coming back for more.
Megan Baxter
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the other historical fiction I was reading while I was reading Wolf Hall, and musing about my reactions to both. I would still say that Wolf Hall is a step above most historical fiction I've ever read, but this wasn't bad. It wasn't earth-shattering, either. But not bad.

In the meantime, you can read the entire review at Smorgasbook
Natalie
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2016
Zanimljiv roman o mladoj Katarini II (koja tada još nije bila "velika" pa se ne osjeti ta njena odlučnost, čvrstoća....ali je odlično prikazan život, muvanja, spletkarenja, špijuniranja, ljubovanja...i godine idu, idu,idu...dok ne dođe taj dan :)
Rachel Levy
Dec 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this for a buddy read, thus the one spoiler alert for those who are still reading it.
The Winter Palace is an epic tale of Catherine the Great’s rise to power in Russia. It is told by a palace maid named Varvara. After being orphaned, Varvara becomes a ward of the Empress Elizabeth of Russia but spends her days as a menial servant, forgotten about within the Winter Palace. Until she is discovered by the Chancellor, who views her as a prospective spy. He has Varvara trained to pick locks,
Aleksandra
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Iako je korektno napisana, iako je priča zanimljiva, meni je nedostajalo ono nešto što mi roman čini veoma dobrim i vrijednim pamćenja. Likovi su jednodimenzionalni, uglavnom emocionalno neosjetljivi prema svemu što im se desi, pa čak i prema smrti supružnika, gubitku djeteta...a kao takvi nisu mi ni izazivali empatiju. Ovaj roman doživjela sam kao jednu dobru lekciju iz historije Rusije, o kojoj volim čitati, a ova je dodatno obogaćena i nekim detaljima iz privatnih života historijskih ličnosti ...more
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Guys, I've been bitten by the all things Russian bug. Lucky for me, 2012 is shaping up to be the year of Russian lit, especially in the genre of historical fiction, which is one of my favorites as you may have figured out.

I was so excited once I heard this book was coming out. Back in August, I visited Odessa in Ukraine, which had basically been planned out by Catherine the Great. There are statues and plaques of her everywhere in the city. It's a cool city; definitely one of the more tradition
Sally
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cheryl
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical
Misleading back cover or reader error? Maybe a little bit of both. While I thought that the book would be a lot about the Catherine the Great, with some of the Catherinian Era enlightenment, Catherine really takes a back seat to Empress Elizabeth until about 300 pages in. About 75 pages in, Catherine slowly enters her story, 200 pages in and Elizabeth might as well have been the main character, and 300 pages in, you get to see some of Catherine's prowess (because before all this, her character s ...more
Jane
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: russia, reviewed
A very well written, magnificent novel on the rise to power of Catherine the Great of Russia. Told by a servant, the Polish orphan Varvara, recruited as a spy [called gazette or tongue] by the conservative Elizabeth II, the novel tells of Varvara's years in Elizabeth's service and beyond. Varvara recounts the coming of a noble German teenager, who has been chosen to marry the Empress's nephew, the childish and nasty Czar Peter. Catherine suffers then chafes under the years of cruelty of her 'mot ...more
Linda Inês
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Este livro é basicamente um sem-fim de coscuvilhices, rumores e segredos que me deixou viciada do início ao fim. Eu adorei a personagem principal que é a narradora da história e é uma espiã na corte russa. É ela que nos vai contando as peripécias que vão acontecendo e que vão levar á ascensão de Catarina, a grande. A história está muito bem escrita e levou-me a torcer por algumas personagens só para mais tarde me fazer detestá-las. Bem, concluindo, foi uma mistura de sentimentos.
Recomendo este l
Sauerkirsche
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ein hervorragender historischer Roman über den Aufstieg Katharina der Großen. Eva Stachniak romantisiert und beschönigt nicht, sie zeichnet ein detailliertes und realistisches Bild über das Leben am russischen Hof.
Ich fand das Buch an keiner Stelle langatmig oder langweilig, sondern durchgehend sehr interessant und fesselnd.

Falls sich jemand für das Buch interessiert, füge ich hier den Link ein: https://amzn.to/2LKFRLa
lovelylifeofanna
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ein schönes Buch, dass das Leben von Katharina der Großen näher bringt aber gleichzeitig die Geschichte von Barbara einer "Spionin" bei Hofe erzählt. Die Geschichte ist sehr spannend erzählt und die wenigen Längen konnte man gut aushalten. Ich habe viel über die russische Geschichte gelernt und bin gespannt auf Band 2.
  • The Queen's Vow: A Novel of Isabella of Castile
  • Enchantments
  • The Romanov Family Album
  • Accidents of Providence
  • The Mirrored World
  • The Turning of Anne Merrick (Anne Merrick, #2)
  • The Last Empress: The Life and Times of Alexandra Feodorovna, Tsarina of Russia
  • The Romanov Bride
  • Empress of the Seven Hills (The Empress of Rome, #3)
  • From Splendor to Revolution: The Romanov Women, 1847--1928
  • The Countess and the King: A Novel of the Countess of Dorchester and King James II
Eva Stachniak was born in Wrocław, Poland. She moved to Canada in 1981 and has worked for Radio Canada International and Sheridan College, where she taught English and humanities. Her debut novel, Necessary Lies, won the Amazon.ca/Books in Canada First Novel Award in 2000. Her first novel of Catherine the Great, The Winter Palace, has been included in the Washington Post 2011 list of most notable ...more

Catherine (2 books)
  • Empress of the Night: A Novel of Catherine the Great (Catherine, #2)
“Where does destiny end and choice begin?” 20 likes