Start by marking “Canals” as Want to Read:
Canals

Canals

A bachelor who prefers his own company to that of others, Detective Daniel Lawless’s life is turned upside-down when he starts having nightmares and mutilated bodies begin piling up on the canal banks. His life is further complicated when Sandra Jensen, a beautiful 25-year-old deputy, begins working the cases with him. They click.

We soon learn all is not as it
Nook, 410 pages
Published March 1st 2011 by Everett Powers, via Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Canals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Canals

D. Leask
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Stephen King Fans & Monster Movie Affectionados
Recommended to D. by: Everett Powers
In a Nutshell
Daniel Lawless is a bachelor detective who prefers shoes over people. What he once thought of as a gift to help him escape the constant torment of school bullies becomes a nightmare when he starts seeing visions of dead bodies, and the visions are real. Along with a local cop, the beautiful and young Sandra Jensen, they set out to try to stop the unstoppable monster from eating it's way through the population of Modesto, California.

First Thoughts
Everett Powers, you have written a m/>First
Stephen Clynes
Nov 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Canals starts off as a typical crime thriller as Detective Daniel Lawless comes to the scene of a dismembered body by a canal in California. Everett Powers then develops a wonderful story written in the style of a good police drama. Every character the reader meets is given a full introduction, it is not a case of "this is John, a 20 year old man" - you get to know each character as a real person. This character development is true for everyone, whether they continue to the end of this novel or ...more
Kenneth Hoss
Jun 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A great read. At first I wasn't sure how this book would go, but from the first body to the end I was hooked. Everett Powers pulls you in with the first page, weaving a tale of terror that will grab you like a pitbull. I found it hard to stop reading. His characters are believable and he does a great job of showing the terror they feel.

I have to say that Everett pulled off a great combination of horror and sci/fi with this book. I don't know if that is what he was going for, but I do know that
Kendall
Oct 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Most modern authors make me break my five page rule. I prefer to find myself attached to a novel within those first five precious pages. I find myself having to break this rule-often- just to keep reading alive. Powers well captivated me within the first five and only sucked me into his story deeper with each turning page.
This is a darker novel and with that, I find his mastery of words worthy of wanting more from his twisted and brilliant imagination.
This is a perfect example of what literatu
Deacon D.
Nov 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
This one is a pretty great horror/sci-fi hybrid.

Mr. Powers does a fine job blending elements of horror and science fiction in this fast-paced and often gruesome tale. The story reminded me of those good old monster movies that I loved as a boy, updated with plenty of splatter. Mr. Powers presents some nicely developed characters in a satisfying and fun little thriller that I would certainly recommend to anyone who enjoys the horror genre.
J.W. Stephens
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I left a detailed review on Amazon.com on June 5, 2012 - four stars. I did like this book and read more by Everett Powers in the future.
Brenda
Sep 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Solid writing, good and interesting plot, really nonstop action. I'd give this book a 2 in the horror scale, it wasn't really frightening for me, and I thought the ending, maybe the last hundred pages, was extremely corny, kinda ruined the book for me to be honest or least lowered my 5 stars down to a 3, I wouldn't have finished if it weren't for wanting to know how it ended
Dawna
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was ok
Horror and sci-fi are NOT my favorite genres, so I'm probably not the best critic. This was way too gory for me, I ended up skipping over huge sections of the story. I was like yeah, yeah, blood and guts, human suffering, gore, gore. I get it. This monster is evil.

He is a good writer, though, even if I didn't like the content.
Ashley Davis
Apr 17, 2016
Kathy
Aug 01, 2012
Everett
May 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Marc
Steve
Apr 18, 2016
judith  dickie
Feb 27, 2014
Author of CANALS and four Grant Starr thrillers, THE MIGHTY T, DEATH OF A MATADOR, SUNSET HILL, and THE KING OF ROUND VALLEY, Powers lives in Utah with his wife. He has three grown sons.