Start by marking “Death in High Places” as Want to Read:
Death in High Places

Death in High Places

3.26  ·  Rating details ·  136 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Two friends embark on a climb of treacherous Anarchy Ridge but only one will make it down alive. Unjustly blamed for his friend's haunting death, the other must run for his life as a mourning father seeks revenge, in Jo Bannister's thrilling mystery novel Death in High Places

Two friends stand at the foot of the glacier, looking up to Anarchy Ridge. They can't see the summi
Published August 2nd 2011 by Minotaur Books (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Death in High Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death in High Places

Gkl
Oct 22, 2012 rated it did not like it
The characters were all unreasonably flawed. Their responses to the primary event were not believable given their depth of knowledge of the circumstances. While the setting and secondary adventure was interesting, the rantings and posturing of the characters had me rooting for the hitman to win...
Susan
Mar 13, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: suspense
Interesting premise (2 friends go climbing, and only one returns, and the book explores the effects on the survivor). But the plot is both homophobic and ludicrous, with badly written dialogue and undeveloped characters. A major disappointment.
Leslie
Aug 17, 2011 rated it did not like it
Bannister has an intriguing premise, but sadly, neither her plot nor her cardboard characters live up to it.
Mary
Jan 08, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: crime
This was disappointing. Most of it was not very well done dialogue in a smallish castle in the English midlands. I didn't even have a very clear picture of what the castle looked like inside.
Stephanie Tanton
Sep 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting plot but dragged in the telling.
Ellen
Feb 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Two 20-something British men go for a dangerous climb on a remote Alaskan mountain. One dies and the other says that he had to cut the rope to save himself, but that the other was already dead. The dead man's father is an Irish mobster and he hires a hit man to kill the survivor. A man who has a reason to keep the survivor alive steps in and saves him from the hit man. The action then follows the two men to the rescuer's home in the countryside. Lots of twists and turns. I liked the writing, alt ...more
Arthur
Dec 05, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nick Horn and the McKendrick's characterizes dialogue, thrilling actions & jeopardy. Together they are trying to stay alive in this interesting novel. It's short and fast paced for the most of it which is mostly dialogue lines and some description. Most of the description was almost unnecessary as it was more like a play without many setting changes or location really. It goes back and forth between spoke dialogue that it was a wonder who was speaking sometimes. I found the repetitive ideas ...more
Monica
Jan 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: british
Uneven. Interesting premise - the aftermath of a climbing accident, two young friends go up a wild Alaskan peak, one falls to his death. The other, Nicky Horn, says he was forced to cut the rope or they both would have died. The wealthy criminal father of the dead youth hires a hit man to kill the survivor. One night Horn is attacked by the hit man and he is saved by the intervention of a stranger who takes him home with him. If this seems too good to be true, it is.

The stranger is a wealthy bus
Pauline Barlow
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Life is a bit like the ascent of a treacherous mountain and what one mistake might do.
This is the story of two friends, Nick and Patrick, who went mountain climbing in Alaska in blizzard conditions. Suddenly Nick feels a tug on the rope and a dead weight. After three hours he felt like giving up and could he cut the rope to save himself.That's what he told people. Patrick's gangster father hired a hit man to find and kill Nick. He was four years on the run. Wealthy Robert McHendrick takes him to
MaryAnn
This book was not at all what I thought it would be--a story of a mountain-climbing adventure gone awry. Instead, it's more about how humans might react in life-threatening situations. There are really only 4 characters who play important roles, but the conversations they hold while other events unfold around them are key--and the book is full of surprises, although the ending might have been a little weak.
Dale
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was recommended, and I'm glad it was. I like other Jo Bannister titles, but this novel grabbed me right at the prologue, and never let go. It has more twists than a bag of snakes, but it's all great to read and try to keep up. Crackling dialogue, and the pace here is meteoric, like a climb on an icy mountain. It's not deep, or realistic, but it is great fun, a real roller-coaster ride. Nice change of pace.
C.J.
Dec 30, 2014 rated it liked it
Apparently all (or most) of the drama in this book is in the trailer. After 2 action-packed opening chapters, abruptly I found myself yawning through pages of repetitive dialog--vamping on the author's part, as if she weren't sure where to take the plot.

I've heard good reports of her later books & will try one of those.
Errol Hess
Oct 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a gem of a book. Nothing extraneous. Meticulously crafted. Almost small and fast-paced enough to read in one sitting. (I did take a break for dinner, started after lunch, and finished by bedtime.) Unity of time and place. Characters do develop and are changed by the action. Add Bannister to your list of watch out for writers.
Geraldine
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
I like a book that pulls me in on the first page which this book did. It held my attention until the end. There were several surprises that I didn't see coming. When I was 1/2 way through I tried to figure out how all the characters would fit together and how it would end and I couldn't. To me that is a good mystery.
Linda
Nov 02, 2011 rated it liked it
This is the story of when two friends climb a mountain and only one comes down. The father of the one who didn't make it wants revenge. When I started reading this story I couldn't put it down. After a while it slowed down so much I almost didn't finish reading it. Then the story line got strange. The ending was very different from what I could have imagined.
Diane S ☔
Nov 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Two friends go climbing in Alaska on a little climbed mountain peak, but only one returns. This sets off a chain of events that is unstoppable. This is more of a psychological story, very well written and would have rated it higher but I felt let down a bit by the ending.
Mary
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
April selection for our Mystery Book Group. Started this book and found it really fascinating. Great character study. The description sounded gruesome but it was quite a pageturner. Can't wait to start our second selection: Deadly Virtues.
Sheri Bouvier
Nov 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
Prologue was the best part of the book. The rest was poorly written, uninteresting and just plain nuts. Think Alzheimer's, the gay factor, mob, religious perspective, whiney girl (to put it nicely), euthanasia, class warfare, castle, all rolled into one mess. Blah.
Kristina
Jul 11, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I really tried to get through this book. I gave it a 100 pages but I just couldn't get through another page. I skipped to the end to find out what happened but that was about it. sorry I just couldn't get into this book.
West Hartford Public Library
Brilliant, brittle as ice, this author gives clues one step at a time, leaving the reader to follow in nearly unbearable tension. A mountain climbing accident wreaks havoc on survivors, and each personality is painstakingly revealed as the plot rushes to its finish. I couldn't put the book down.
Jennifer Holt
Nov 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Decent book, interesting plot and when I first started it, I didn't want to put it down. As I did get toward the end, it started moving slow, and I found myself getting annoyed and just wanted the story to be over! The end was not quite what I expected at all, and personally didn't care for it.
Bill
Dec 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Interesting story about a mountain climbing fall. Heavy book as it dwells on Alzheimer's which is too close to home for me.
Margaret Kirchner
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Lots of twists and turns.
Catherine Woodman
Oct 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Lots of psychological overlay for the genre. Recommended
Doreen
Dec 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very different and raises many thought provoking questions. I enjoyed but I can see where many will not.
Al Stoess
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Fans of British literature.
Not what I expected. Book was to long. Ending less than satifactory.
JoyfulK
May 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
A twisty suspense plot with lots of surprises.
Zella
Feb 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Psychodrama.
Ruth Ann
Oct 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, boys
Some twists and turns....
Amy
Jul 09, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The ending 1 2 Jul 21, 2014 03:06AM
  • High Steel: The Daring Men Who Built the World's Greatest Skyline
  • The Llama of Death: A Gunn Zoo Mystery (A Gunn Zoo Mystery, #3)
  • Churchill's Empire: The World That Made Him and the World He Made
  • American Triumvirate: Sam Snead, Byron Nelson, Ben Hogan, and the Modern Age of Golf
  • George, Being George: George Plimpton's Life as Told, Admired, Deplored, and Envied by 200 Friends, Relatives, Lovers, Acquaintances, Rivals--and a Few Unappreciative ...
  • History Wars: The Enola Gay and Other Battles for the American Past
  • Swift Edge (A Charlie Swift Mystery #2)
  • The Killing Storm (Sarah Armstrong, #3)
  • The Atlantis Legacy (Conrad Yeats Adventure #1-2 omnibus)
  • The Dying Room (Faces of Evil, #11)
  • Dead Ends (Main Street Mystery #2)
  • Travels With Charley and Later Novels, 1947-1962
  • The Second Letter (Jake Travis #1)
  • Blond Cargo (Jack Bertolino #2)
  • The KenKen Killings (Puzzle Lady #12)
  • Empty Ever After (Moe Prager, #5)
  • An Intimate Murder (Catherine O'Brien Mystery #3)
  • Inheritance
Jo Bannister lives in Northern Ireland, where she worked as a journalist and editor on local newspapers. Since giving up the day job, her books have been shortlisted for a number of awards. Most of her spare time is spent with her horse and dog, or clambering over archaeological sites. She is currently working on a new series of psychological crime/thrillers.
More about Jo Bannister...