Start by marking “Christmas Is Not Your Birthday: Experience the Joy of Living and Giving Like Jesus” as Want to Read:

Every year, we say we're going to cut back, simplify, and have a family Christmas that focuses on the real reason for the season--Jesus. But every year, advertisements beckon, the children plead, and it seems easier just to indulge our wants and whims. Overspending, overeating, materialism, and busyness rob us of our peace and joy and rob Jesus of his rightful role as the ...more
Published August 1st 2011 by Abingdon Press

To ask other readers questions about Christmas Is Not Your Birthday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Christmas Is Not Your Birthday

Don Gale
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
I originally bought this book for my mom. She’s been talking about non-consumeristic Christmases for a few years now. The book looked like a good guide on how to buck the typical trends of overspending and overexerting ourselves around the holidays. Slaughter did a good job showing that life (and Christmas) is not about my comfort or temporary happiness, but about serving and worshipping God.

“Life is not about staying safe and living comfortably. The call to follow Jesus is a call to give your l
Bianca
Apr 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
It wasn't what I expected. After I read it I read the back cover and saw a sentence that summed it up nicely: "...a rather punchy reflection on the real meaning & significance of Christmas..."
While I had hoped for more applicable ideas on how to create new, meaningful traditions that celebrated Christ in the season, it was still an easy nice read that I enjoyed. At least he kept the focus on Jesus!
Babs
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think the last few chapters was the best part of the book. Good ideas for how to change the way we celebrate.
Trish
Non-Fiction; Religious/Christmas
3 stars

Christmas is Not Your Birthday is a unique short story that give its readers a new way to view the story of Mary and Joseph and the birth of Jesus Christ.

Take away the hub-bub of the Christmas holiday season and the ‘cleaned up version’ of the nativity scene and author Mike Slaughter presents you with Mary’s life story in the raw.

A pregnant virgin?
A fiance/husband who chooses to believe her?
Traveling on a donkey while in labor?
Delivering your first born i
Josh Mccoy
Dec 20, 2012 rated it did not like it
The overall idea of the book is good: Return to the true and fulfilling meaning of Christmas by giving rather than receiving. The author also challenges us to give to causes where we can truly make a difference, such as those working in impoverished areas, etc.

I didn't like that the author seemed to repeat things over and over again. At times it even seemed like he copied the same paragraphs from earlier chapters. I also didn't like that instead of focusing on the general idea of giving to worth
Becky
Dec 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book will challenge you to look differently at how you celebrate the Savior's birth.
Jay Miklovic
Nov 29, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was written by a UMC pastor in our annual conference who has seen his church shaped into what many see as an excellent model for evangelical proclamation along with an incredibly strong sense of mission. This book, designed as a 5 week advent study essentially lays out the same ground work that has been applied at his church. The title pretty much gives the content of the book away. Essentially Slaughter takes the Christmas story and fashions it into a call for us to serve the least in ...more
Laura Dallas
Oct 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith
United Methodist pastor and author Michael Slaughter shows how we have far strayed from the message of Jesus in the celebration of His birth. In this book, Rev. Slaughter encourages Christians to give Jesus what He wants for His birthday - “you--your time, your talent, and your treasure--used in service to others.” Slaughter makes a strong biblical case that this is what Jesus really wants from us, and he spends much of the book imploring us to pay attention. He admits his own failings in doing ...more
Rachel
Nov 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Our Sunday School class used this book for our Advent Study. My husband and I were out of town most of the Sundays we covered this book. Though I missed the discussion times which I believe would have been very valuable in processing and meditating further on this material, I still found the book to be a beneficial read.
It is good to be reminded of ways in which the world influences how we spend our time and money during the Christmas season and make a conscious effort to slow down and focus on
Jeanne
Dec 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritual-growth
Mike Slaughter makes some really good points about the way we take the focus off of Jesus at Christmas and put it on ourselves and our families. He challenges us to be intentional about how we spend our time and money in a way that honors Christ's message. My Sunday School class did this as an Advent study, watching the accompanying DVD and discussing various points. It was interesting to find out just how stressful Christmas is for so many of us because of past family events and current situati ...more
Brian
Apr 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: religious
Technically this should be on last year's list; I finished it just before Christmas. It may say something that it took me so long to remember to document it. A short little book, this has the feel of a sermon series that was compiled and published. Each of the five chapters is on a different theme, all pertaining to putting the focus of Christmas back on others rather than ourselves. I found it rather uneven, with two good, two OK, and one middle of the road lesson. Your mileage may very of cour ...more
Luckngrace
Jan 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Mike Slaughter makes the point that most of us celebrate Jesus's birthday by leaving him outside the house while we party with Santa Clause, Wal-Mart and the kids. Jesus expects us all to put our faith to work helping people and sharing His Word. Many good points are made that can change our direction from selfish to responsible. God will provide for our needs if we just do as he asks. We should train our children to recognize the needs of others and seek to make the world a better, more generou ...more
Juliette
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-finish
I was looking for something to inspire me for the Christmas Season and for some reason this book just didn't reach me in celebrating Christ. I disliked the first 25% and struggled through to 50% and just decided the approach doesn't work for me. I felt the author a bit too self congratulatory (though I think I understand what he was trying to do) and felt this was harming my spiritual growth rather than helping so I stopped reading. For some people I think this approach works, it just was not fo ...more
Luke
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
More is not more. Less is more. This is a good reminder about the reason for the season and especially apt at the start of the holiday season. A week from now, stores will be celebrating Black Friday by opening on Thursday to satisfy the hordes of shoppers. Where is Jesus in this frantic display of consumer greed? What is Christmas? A lot of what the author writes I can agree with, but then sometimes he goes a little further than I would be comfortable with.
Becky
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
The title says it all for me. I bought it around the holidays and just sort of left it out for my family to see. Christmas has become to commercialized and I would like to see it return to its original meaning of Jesus' birth and our celebration of God's love for us. This book helped to confirm that. The style was light and funny.
NancyInWI
Nov 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Was not quite what I was looking for. Used this book in an Advent study at church. Nobody in the group cared for it. Too much emphasis on the author's megachurch which it seems he ran without input from members. Too much emphasis on monetary giving. And as another reviewer mentioned, lots of repetition.
Pandlbradley
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Our Sunday School class studied this book during the Advent season, and it really helped reprioritize and refocus the way we should approach the Advent and Christmas seasons, as well as prepare for the New Year. A definite escape from the materialism of Christmas and a great reality check!
Danielle
Dec 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
My Sunday School class read this book last year, but I found myself too busy to read it until now. This book is very thought provoking and I am glad that I made time this holiday season to read it and plan to read it each year to help remind myself what Christmas is really about.
Sandra Sims
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I first read this in 2001 as part of a small group study. I recently featured several quotes from this book on The High Calling here: http://www.thehighcalling.org/faith/t...
KyBunnies
I have no problem reading christian/inspirational book but I could just not get into this one. The author had some good points but what he does not realize is that it is the big companies that he should go after not consumers/Christians. This was a free book in the kindle store.
Megan
Nov 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality, umc
Having heard a lot about Mike Slaughter (but never having read one of his books), I had high expectations. This book was solid and the discussion questions were strong -- but I found myself wanting even more action items.
Corey
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
A nice little readable book with good reminders about the true meaning of Christmas, but it doesn't say anything new. If you're familiar with a movement called "Advent Conspiracy," that's basically what this book is.
Paul Burnette
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We've had this reminder before, but that's no reason not to use this book to take us back to deeper, less commercial reasons to celebrate Jesus's birth. Slaughter writes clearly, including numerous concrete examples from life and literature to illustrate the points he makes for us to ponder.
Gavin Mclauchlin
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Not nearly as challening as I'd hoped.
Teri
Jan 13, 2013 rated it liked it
This very small book will help you to keep the reason for Christmas in perspective. Step back and actually enjoy the Christmas season for what it was meant to be!
MaryKay
Dec 18, 2013 rated it liked it
This book is not particularly well written but does have some great thoughts for our over-commercialized, materialistic culture. The last chapter is the best one.
Margaret Boehm
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. Some of it is a hard pill to swallow but how true.
Marcy
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
wish more people in society would give to the poor and under privileged as much as they do to we'll off family and friends....the world would be a different place!
Pastor Don
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not a bad book. Focus on Jesus as the birthday Boy is lost today and Slaughter brings that home big time. Some things I disagree with, but the read is worth it!
Christ's peace!!!
Melody
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Inspiring guide at a time of stressful preparations for Christmas. It was on our minds as we prepared and influenced us to do less and focus on the birth of Christ at Christmas.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Journey: Walking the Road to Bethlehem
  • More Than Ordinary: Enjoying Life with God
  • A Cup of Comfort Women of the Bible Devotional: Daily Reflections Inspired by Scripture's Most Beloved Heroines