Start by marking “Celine” as Want to Read:
Celine

Celine

Before Celine, a sixteen-year-old artist, can take a promised trip to Europe, she must show a little maturity, finish an overdue term paper and support her seven-year-old neighbor during his parent's separation.
Published September 1st 2003 by Turtleback Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Celine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Celine

Mmt
Jul 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"I don't know why I love you, but I do-o." Clarence "Frogman" Henry probably wrote this about Celine. I bought this book when I was nine because, as best I can recall, I was drawn to the cover. It took me all of an afternoon to fall in love with it. And I have no idea why. It's not really about anything, and not even in a Seinfeldian way. But the way Cole creates his characters, and the situations steeped in minutia in which they are placed, is magnetic. The book reads like reality television.

T
Soren
if you read the descriptions on the paperback of this book, you might never read it, because they make it sound... boring. or something other than what it is. I adore this book and i've probably read it ten times. It's funny and smart and snarky and talks about artists in a way that feels very real to me.
Claire
Oct 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
Maybe my favorite book hands down ever. It's a Young Adult book which shows that Young Adult books are not just for Young Adults. I reread it at least every few years and it is never not great. It inspired me to write my own YA book.

Merged review:

This may be my favorite book of all time and absolutely inspired my YA book coming out next year.
Katherine Howe
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book so much that I named the Ford Escort I drove in high school "Celine."
Jul 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best party scene in all of YA literature.
Madame Jane
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, my-library
Wow. Such an enjoyable read. Celine is awesome and her mind is so quirky. I heard about this book in an old Sassy magazine and I was looking for something different to read. This book came out in 1989 (the same year i did) and is so relevant and accurate about a girls feelings and responsibilites that women have to juggle. Celine is hilarious, and this has become an instant favourite.

PS. Dermot is a Liar Liar.
Kelly
Nov 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No wonder this book has been such an inspiration for a number of ya authors - it's fantastic. The voice is so spot on, and Celine's got everything from the heartwarming moments to the heartbreaking.

If they repackaged the cover, this book would STILL do so well right now. It's completely relatable today.
vanessa marcoux
My ultimite favorite book of all time. I read this the summer before 7th grade and if I hadn't, those next 6 years would not have been the same.
Megan Jennings
This is my all time favorite book. It helped me get in to college, literally. It is also the standard to which any coming of age narrative is held. I
Amy
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still my favorite book.
Arminzerella
Celine is a strange and sometimes troubled artist cum high schooler. She’s not particularly well-liked in school, nor is she particularly disliked either. This extremely good-looking muscle-bound, but not so bright boy, Dermot is her boyfriend – but why he likes her, Celine can’t even begin to fathom. She’s actually going out with him by accident – he sent her a Valentine and some chocolates, and instead of returning them she ate the chocolate. Whoops. And then people in school were angry with h ...more
Maureen Milton
Mar 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: high-school
Like "The Goats," this is a weird book, so I'm not sure who might read it, although I imagine that my adolescent self would have liked it as much as my adult self.

The protagonist is high school junior in Chicago where she lives with her absent father's new wife, a self-absorbed woman only 6 years her senior, while her mother is in South America and her father is lecturing in Europe. Celine, an artist, suffers the vicissitudes of high school (her reckless parents, a boorish boyfriend, the slings
Rei
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Celine, I thought wasn’t the best book for me because I felt like it didn’t have the spark or something. It’s about Celine who is the protagonist is about basically her life of wanting to be an artist. She is sixteen years old and is in high school living in Chicago. Her father is traveling in Europe and she just wants her high school life to be over and to go to Europe so she can be an artist. But, things turn the other way around and she has to be the responsible one to make all the choices an ...more
Giulia
I really liked this book, I'd give it a 3.5 stars .

It's the story of a sixteen-years-old girl. Céline is an anguished and witty girl, her parents are divorced and she lives with her step-mother. She has ups and downs like every other teenage girl. She doesn't fully believe in herself and she always asks for confirmation from the people around her. She doesn't know who she is.
Everything gradually changes when Céline meets Jake, a little boy who lives in the apartment in front of hers. He will m
Amyg.
Feb 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This may be a young adult book, but it is one of the smarter books I've read this year. The narrator is a complex, unpredictable artist with inexplicable maternal instincts for a young boy in her building whose family is breaking apart. She doesn't let herself be swayed by old naysayers who think art is dead or teachers who can't speak to what is true or significant. She carries herself with dignity despite her mother having run off to some island paradise and her father lecturing halfway across ...more
Kate
Jul 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, youngadult
Always the first book that I think of when asked my favorite. I don't really feel like I can do it justice talking about it. I was thrilled nearly to the point of tears when I went to a reading by M.T. Anderson and he listed Brock Cole as one of the true great and moral y/a writers. When I got to him in the booksigning line (for The Astonishing Story Of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Book I: The Pox Party, another unparalleled y/a work), we babbled happily together about Celine: he lov ...more
Toni
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Celine by Brock Cole seeps into the life of an artsy teenager who eagerly wants to leave home. The reader is introduced to characters who the protagonist likes, dislikes and are unsure about. I liked Celine's personality some what as she is vibrant and sometimes nonchalant, however her attitude as a student was not very reputable. In my opinion, this book could've had more things actually going on. I found the ideas very far fetched from one another and non-relative. I think the author could've ...more
Heather
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, teen, read2011
Celine is an artist, who thinks so abstractedly that she seems to miss out on many aspects of reality. (If she was confused, it goes without saying that I was confused throughout most of this book.) Celine deals with living with her Dad's new wife Catherine, who is only six years older than Celine. Despite her strange view of reality, Celine manages to get what she wants out of life rather well. She connects with her next-door-neighbor Jacob (6 yrs old), who's parents are also going through a di ...more
Stephanie G.
Jun 12, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Note: How depressing is it to put in "Celine" and find a dozen books about Celine Dion?)

I really enjoyed this, in spite of the fact that it really doesn't have a plot, per se, and that the first person voice (I'm so sick of 1st person) sounds much more like that of Brock Cole than a 16-year-old girl. But he writes so well and it's sufficiently entertaining that I overlooked those things. Which, for me, is saying something.
Vickie
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Celine is 16 and left with her 22 year old step mom as her dad travels throughout Europe giving lectures.Her father leaves her with the advice, just be mature. Which Celine takes as stay out of trouble, do your homework and don't get pregnant
She's working on a project from school, to write a paper about Holden Caulfield and her neighbor, Jake, who's 5 keeps cropping up on her doorstep. Celine is also an artist-great character.
A wonderful Youth Fiction novel!
Kinga
Jun 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book was kind of depressing. not because it's emanty to be depressing but because it reminds me of things. of growing up and being mature...which sometimes doesnt happen. of procrasinating, as celine does when shes supposed to write a paper about haulden caulfield (eek). of parties that should have gone better...unlike lucile who gets way too drunk. but i like jacob..hes qute a precocious kid and he reminds me of my baby brother.
Lamari
Nov 21, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Book I was reading was called "Celine." By Brock Cole. This book was Published in the 80's as the best book for young adults. I kind of Liked this book, But it wasn't the best book i've read. The characters in the story were Weird, And it was funny at the same time. But I was Expecting to have more taste In this book. "Celine" Has the way to teach Important Lessons to people about maturity.

Celine The main character faces Problems with her parents for
Natalie Wells
Nov 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honor List: High schooler Celine meets the boy next door, Jake, and they start spending lots of time together. The only thing wrong with the situation is that Jake is still in grade school. Celine, who hopes to move to Italy with her friend to become an artist, begins looking after Jake. This humorous and heartwarming story is humorous and touching.
hhhhhhhhh
May 22, 2009 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: iconoclastic dreamers who suffer from bad parenting
Shelves: ya
The plot was kind of all over the place and Celine was sort of a Mary Sue, but that was ok this time because this was beautifully written (especially the art parts) and it had the kind of manic, intense appreciation for life that good YA novels specialize in. The little boy character and their connection felt right on. Unrealistic events, realistic feelings.
Catherine  Mustread
16-year-old Celine, an artist, lives with her young step-mother and tries to "show a little maturity" so her father will let her spend the summer in Italy. Problems include Jake the neighbor kid, Jake's father (a sexy artist) and Dermot the creep.
Malia
Jun 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is awesome. No surprise, because everything Brock Cole writes is awesome. Celine is hilarious and insightful and probably the only thing keeping me from giving it five stars was a HORRIFYING cockroach scene.
Meredith
Jun 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya
It took me a while to get through this because of life, not because I wasn't into it (the usual case). Fantastic character, and the best thing about this is that it hasn't become dated at all...I could totally recommend this to anyone.
Kayla
May 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the best book, I read it when I was 12 and ten years later I'm still reading it periodically.
I'm pretty sure this is going to be my selection for YA book club because I have a lot I want to talk about.
Rajivi

• Big Fat Manifesto
  • The Sweet In-Between
  • Debbie Harry Sings in French
  • When the Black Girl Sings
Brock Cole was born a year before the Second World War in a small town in Michigan. Because of his father's work, his family moved frequently, but he never regarded these relocations as a hardship.

"I thought of myself as something of an explorer, even though my explorations never took me very far. I had a deep and intimate acquaintance with woodlots, creeks, lakes, back streets, and alleys all ove
“I measure the coffee exactly. Pour in the water. As the flavor bursts, she surrenders. “Oh, you are old for such a long time!” She frets over the sugar bowl in the center of a tin tray. “You think it won’t happen to you, but it will. You may live a long time, but most of life is old, old, old!” 1 likes