Start by marking “Enlightened Courage: An Explanation of the Seven-Point Mind Training” as Want to Read:
Enlightened Courage: An Explanation of the Seven-Point Mind Training

Enlightened Courage: An Explanation of the Seven-Point Mind Training

Highly respected by thousands of students throughout the world, Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche was one of the foremost poets, scholars, philosophers, and meditation masters of our time. Here he speaks frankly, drawing on his own life experience. Condensing the compassionate path to Buddhahood into practical instructions that use the circumstances of everyday life, Rinpoche presen ...more
Published June 20th 2006 by Snow Lion (first published June 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Enlightened Courage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enlightened Courage

Start your review of Enlightened Courage: An Explanation of the Seven-Point Mind Training
Kaitlyn
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A different translation of the slogans than I've read before. It was interesting as some of the translations for better with how I understand the slogan - and matched Dilgo Khyentze's commentary.

Very classic presentation though. Very culturally Tibetan.
Victoria
Instructions for living! Sweet darshan in a book.
Mary Overton
"Once, in one of his previous lifetimes, the Buddha was a universal monarch whose custom it was to give away his wealth without regret. He refused nothing to those who came to beg from him and his fame spread far and wide. One day, a wicked Brahmin beggar came before the king and addressed him saying, 'Great king, I am ugly to look upon, while you are very handsome; please give me your head.' And the king agreed. Now his queens and ministers had been afraid that he might do this, and making hund ...more
Eileen
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhist
Commentary on “The Seven Point Mind Training” by Chekawa Yeshe Dorje. Good practical advice and lots of encouragement to practice Mahamudra meditation. I was surprised at references to hell, lower realms, and gods plural in addition to assuming religious practices such as making offerings to statues, circumambulation, etc. Khyentse was obviously a religious Buddhist and yet he also talked about gods and demons being projections of our own minds. Still trying to figure out the Buddhist worldview.
Anastasia
Mar 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dilgo Kyentse Rinpoche is just awesome

It's concise but dense, which is great because you get a lot of ideas quickly and can put it down and pick it up easily, starting at a new section or re-reading the previous.

After awhile I started to wish there were longer explanations for some of the points. Of course, DKR has many other books.
Mason Hiatt
Oct 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a condensation of Bodhisattva training, the essence of Mahayana Buddhist practice. It's probably a good idea to study it under the guidance of a qualified buddhist teacher. It is short and succinct - I plan to read it many more times to reinforce the essential points Rinpoche lays out so clearly.
Craig
Oct 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite books from my buddhist reading. Dilgo Khyentse takes a lot of thoughts and makes them straight forward and easy to understand. If you are interested in Buddhism, than this book is neceasssery.
Doris Wong
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent for daily life practice no matter you are a buddhist or not.
Paul Brooks
Sep 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
wonderful introduction to basic mahayana practice and meditation
John
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the whole of dharma boiled down to seven points, accessible to all levels of students, and staying on my bedside table for frequent re-reading. thank you for teaching.
Hollis Fishelson-holstine
While I've loved some of the other Tibetan Buddhist texts, this one is either too obscure for me or just not the right thing for me at the moment
Bodhidasa

• Ahab's Wife, or The Star-Gazer
  • Pirate Latitudes
  • Smile at Fear: Awakening the True Heart of Bravery
  • Outfox
  • Dakini Power: Twelve Extraordinary Women Shaping the Transmission of Tibetan Buddhism in the West
  • The Words of My Perfect Teacher
His Holiness Khyabjé Dilgo Khyentsé Rinpoché (Tib.: དིལ་མགོ་མཁྱེན་བརྩེ། Wylie: dil mgo mkhyen brtse), born Tashi Peljor (བཀྲ་ཤིས་དཔལ་འབྱོར། bkra shis dpal 'byor) and ordained a monk as Jigme Rabsel Dawa Kyenrab Tenpa Dargye (འཇིགས་མེད་ རབ་གསལ་ཟླ་བ་ མཁྱེན་རབ་ བསྟན་པ་དར་རྒྱས། 'jigs med rab gsal zla ba mkhyen rab bstan pa dar rgyas) and later Gyurme Labsum Gyeltsen (འགྱུར་མེད་ ལབ་ སུམ་ རྒྱལ་མཚན། 'gyu ...more

News & Interviews