Start by marking “Oz: Ozma of Oz (Marvel Classics)” as Want to Read:
Oz: Ozma of Oz (Marvel Classics)

Oz: Ozma of Oz

(Marvel's Oz Comics #3)

Dorothy Gale plunges into adventure again, this time with a talking chicken named Billina. Dorothy and Billina are washed off their sailing ship to face drowning, starvation - and screaming Wheelers, strange men with wheels instead of hands and feet. The multiple Eisner Award-winning and New York Times-bestselling team of Shanower and Young returns to Oz with this comics a ...more
Published September 21st 2011 by Marvel (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Oz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Oz

Alejandro
Feb 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The story is far from ending up!

Creative Team:

Writer: Eric Shanower (based on the original works by L. Frank Baum)

Illustrator: Scottie Young

BEWARE THE WHEELERS!

Dorothy returns in another adventure but to her surprise she may not being in Kansas anymore but it's not Oz either.

Dorothy and her new companion, Billina, are now in the wonderful land of Ev!

Billina is a hen, but unlike Toto, the dog, Billina is able to talk while she is in the magical realms, making her more interesting to read in t
Cyndi
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Gotta tell you I was not a fan of the art in this book at all. Huge mouths *shudder*
The story was good but not as good as The Wizard. 🤷🏼♀
Cathy
This is another book that I grabbed off of the kids' shelves because it looked fun. And the story was, but the design was confusing. It's the third book in the graphic novel series of the Oz books, so it must be selling well. But I wonder who the audience for these books is because of some of the design choices.

The story was the classic Baum tale. The story editing allowed the heart, humor and drama to come through very well. So that would work for kids or for grown-up fans of the series.

But I
Sarah Sammis
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
While Dorothy ends up proving herself worthy of being Ozma's champion in this book, there's a second hero who is sometimes overlooked — Bill the chicken.

mekkaouii_
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Didn't really enjoy this one as much, mainly because the plot wasn't all that (and what's with the title?). Also, switch Ozma back to Tip please :\
Marie
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just love this series. So humorous and fun!
Justyn Rampa
Apr 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was without a doubt my favorite book of the bunch. The original text served as the other half of the inspiration for the film "Return to Oz" and is full of wonderful little bits of plot. At this point, this is the third OZ book by Baum. A series he never intended to happen but once Wonderful Wizard of Oz was so popular, he decided to make it a series.

While the first two books I felt lacked some plot logic and had some characters giving up quite easily, this book really starts to develop in
Angie
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I read the first two graphic novels my Marvel a few months ago when I did an Oz month on my blog and really loved them. The art style is pretty amazing for one thing. So whimsical. What I really love about these is how close the author stays to the books. So ... I have only read the first Oz novel by Baum but these graphic novels keep the series going perfectly. This book is about Dorthy going back to OZ ... and meeting back up with her team of friends. We get to visit with Ozma again and meet ...more
Books on Stereo
Jan 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Oz introduces far too much content that fails to add relevant to an already captivating story resulting in a drawn narrative.
Karissa
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the third book in Marvel’s Oz series, these are graphic novel retellings of the L. Frank Baum’s Oz books. This was a fantastic book I really really enjoyed it. I loved the illustration and colors and really enjoyed that Dorothy was back in the story.

Dorothy has returned to Oz with her only company being the chicken Billina. Right off the bat they run into some very scary Wheelers and find and activate Tik-Tok who assists them in their flight from the Wheelers. The whole thing culminates
Samantha
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this series! In this 3rd book in the series Dorothy comes back and we meet many new characters. Dorothy and Uncle Henry head off on a journey by ship to Australia. As fate would have it Dorothy washes overboard and ends up on a strange island with a talking hen named Bill. Dorothy resolves to call her Billina and the two explore the mysterious Land of Ev. It isn't long before they get involved in the problems of the Land of Ev. They find a mechanical man named Tik Tok who fills them in on ...more
Sesana
Oct 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
Ozma Of Oz is a great book, and much of the storyline from Return to Oz is borrowed from the plot elements here. If you're familiar with that movie, you'll know what's coming most of the time. And Ozma does have some really great plot elements, plus it introduced the fabulous Billina. I'm really enjoying how Shanower is adapting the Oz books. He obviously has a great deal of affection for the source material, and I'd say that it's a fairly close adaptation, from my memory. I do like the art styl ...more
Nick
While I'm not a huge fan of Skottie Young's art [too many facial expressions involving mouths open very wide...] this is a fun graphic retelling of the third Oz book. Shanower's pacing seemed well suited to the material, and the story moved along quickly and in a way which will entertain readers, whether they've read the originals or not.
As in the original prose version, this volume added several characters to the world of Oz, including the delightful Tik-Tok, a copper mechanical man that needs
Malapata
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Después del bajón del segundo volumen, éste vuelve a subir el nivel. La historia es sencilla y entretenida, aunque siga lejos de la del primer volumen, y los dibujos de Skottie Young se notan más trabajados que en la segunda parte.
Nickcole
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4

The retelling from the story was really great and Mr. Shanower does an excellent forwarding letter, which gets you really excited about reading the story and why he loves it so much. The art was excellent like always and it was an exciting read.
Ro
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I truly felt like I went on a journey, reading this book. Illustrations with a sense of scope, and the text had humour as well as a philosophical bent.
Gabriel Benitez
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Parece que Marvel se ha dado la tarea de realizar una muy fiel y bien hecha adaptación de la serie de la Tierra de Oz y esta vez toca el turno a la tercera novela del grupo (son 14, las originales con una 15ava. escritra por otra autora terminando un trabajo de Baum). En esta ocasión, Dorita —quien no aparece en el segundo libro— llega a la Tierra de EV, donde el maligno rey Gnomo mantiene cautivos en calidad de objetos a la famila ex-real de Ev, y la recien estrenada soberana de Oz,Ozma, decide ...more
Sandra Girard-Demontigny
I thought it was the first book cause it was the only one at my library and it doesn't say it's the third anywhere in the book. I enjoyed reading this comic, but it's a small and correct read. I expected a better story than this one especially since it's from Marvel. I will still read the rest, hoping to love the rest more. I found that it lacked of a little action, when thinking of Marvel, we often think of superheroes and action.

Je pensais que c'était le premier puisque c'était le seul à ma bi
Katie
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
To be honest, I had no idea that Frank Baum had written so many Oz books. Eric Shanower is a huge fan & has lovingly adapted several of the books into graphic novels with the help of the wonderful illustrator Skottie Young.

In this book, Dorothy is swept to the land of Oz due to a storm at sea, while she was traveling with her Uncle Henry to Australia. (The movie "Return to Oz" was based upon this book, as well as a couple of others.) Dorothy meets Billina the talking chicken, Tik-Tok the wi
Alex
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This feels like a pretty faithful adaptation to the novel, although I don’t recall Billina and some others being quite so obnoxious and rude.

I’m not sure exactly how I feel about the art. I’m not sure that I associate the wobbly scratchy style with Oz. The splash page of with the entry of Ozma to the land of Ev felt very true to the classic art.

While a lot of the cute things seem just weird, the creepy ones are done well. The wheelers are delightfully presented. The nomes are downright Froudian
Liz
Feb 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, comics, fantasy
The story is pretty close to the events in the book, but like others I don't love the art. I think Tik-Tok was drawn in a very cute way and the horror show that is Scarecrow's brain was drawn in just the right creepy way.

But. . .

I hate the giant mouths. Dorothy Gale and Ozma are not known for their loud, agape dealings with Oz, Ev, or Nome folk. It's not jut a weird art choice, it's a bad representation of those characters. I also don't like Nick Chopper's mustache. He's my favorite Oz character
Bethany
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favourite Oz book and the illustrations are fantastic. I'm used to the drawings from the original version and the new ones are very different but remind you just how young Dorothy and Ozma are, and I love the highly stylized art. The Wheelers are terrible though, I think the artist has seen The Mask too many times. I adore the rest and appreciate the different body types the artist used. Love this book!
Ahdom
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Eric Shanower knows how to adapt Oz. I love how much each of these volumes follow the original stories and with suck great artwork. This is one of my favorite books in the Oz series and has so many of the elements that inspired Return to Oz from 1984. I really enjoy what Shanower has done for the original Oz novels and giving them new life.
Sue
Feb 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Dorothy is traveling with Uncle Henry to Australia, but gets swept off the ship by a big wave during a storm, lands in a shipping crate with a talking chicken, Billina and washes ashore at the land of Ev. She finds a key that unlocks Tic-too, a mechanical man. They then travel to the Capital and embark on a journey to save the Queen and her family.
Jessica
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
Another great sequel. I loved the designs for the Wheelers! They're definitely a new favourite for me.

I can't remember if it was this way in the original book, but here the Scarecrow had some surprisingly cold lines. He was almost sadistic in this one - almost. It was hilarious!
Emily
Jan 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love, love, love this artwork!

The story is wonderful, but the artwork keeps me reading. I always want to see how new characters will look!

This is a great story about Dorothy finding herself in the Land of Ev, and meeting up with her friends from the Land of Oz.
Miles
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The third volume in this series. While I enjoyed Shanower's adaptation and Young's artwork, this series has run its course for me. I'm sure that there are many more volumes to come, but I've had my fill.
Jennifer Girard
Ok so apparently I read the third one but it doesn't change a thing haha... I was expecting so much more from this graphic novel. The art style wasn't that good and the story was boring ... I won't continue the series.
Caleb
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, classic, graphic
It seems Baum actually hit his stride with this one. Billina was amazing: she’s the smartest character in any of the books so far. Enjoyable and, again, absolutely beautifully rendered.
Glire
Dec 28, 2017 rated it did not like it
Lindas ilustraciones y ¡esos colores! Visualmente es un espectáculo. Lástima que la historia me haya parecido tan, tan mala.
Around the Year i...: Ozma of Oz, by Eric Shanower 4 14 Feb 16, 2017 05:54AM
Goodreads Librari...: Separating books that aren't related? 3 173 Nov 22, 2015 10:58AM
  • Leave It to Chance Volume 1: Shaman's Rain
  • The Sign of the Black Rock (Three Thieves, #2)
  • The Secret of the Stone Frog
  • Agnes Quill: An Anthology of Mystery
  • Ruse, Vol. 1: Enter the Detective
  • Korgi, Book 3: A Hollow Beginning
  • Wonderland
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics (Courtney Crumrin, #2)
  • Owly  Wormy, Friends All Aflutter!
  • Hopeless Savages: Greatest Hits 2000-2010
  • Flight, Vol. 8 (Flight, #8)
  • Fractured Fables
  • Kill Shakespeare, Vol. 1: A Sea of Troubles
  • Clubbing
  • The Courageous Princess
  • The Stuff of Legend, Book 2: The Jungle (The Stuff of Legend, #2)
  • Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 2
  • The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec 1: Pterror Over Paris/The Eiffel Tower Demon

Marvel's Oz Comics (6 books)
  • Oz: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
  • Oz. The Marvelous Land of Oz  (Marvel Classics)
  • Oz: Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz