Start by marking “Fellow-Townsmen” as Want to Read:
Fellow-Townsmen

Fellow-Townsmen

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  77 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Subtly chronicling the cruel twists and turns of human fate, Fellow-Townsmen exemplifies Hardy’s enduring perfection of his literary craft—and the artistic brilliance of his passionate portrayal of the trials of the human heart. Barnet and Downe are old and good friends in the Wessex town of Port Bredy—yet fate has treated them differently. Barnet, a prosperous man, has be ...more
Published March 1st 2003 by Hesperus Press (first published 1880)

To ask other readers questions about Fellow-Townsmen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fellow-Townsmen

Leisl
Sep 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I want to give it less stars only because it is such a terribly heart wrenching story.
Ivan Monckton
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not a typical Hardy subject, but a typical excruciatin and inevitable conclusion. well worked, well written, and well worth reading.
Ed
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Having read Fellow-Townsmen, I have read all of Hardy's major fiction save The Return of the Native. (I have also read almost all of his poetry.) To my mind Hardy is surpassed only by Charles Dickens as the greatest 19th century English novelist, and I don't make that statement lightly, being a huge fan of Austen and Trollope as well.
Hardy's fiction, so atmospheric, haunted, and tragic, is at the same time vital, rich, beautiful, and profound.
It is always a deep pleasure to pick up a Hardy nove
Elizabeth
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Found this in the clearance area & scooped it up at once. I've only listened to a BBC radio version of Tess of the d'Urbervilles and after seeing how long that book is, I figured I could start with something a little shorter to make sure I like Hardy. Though it's short, this story is quickly engrossing. Plus, the main character is Barnet. So, really, how could I pass this up?
Dave D'aguanno
Jul 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This one drew me right in, and although I could guess some of the events before they happened, both the beauty of the writing and the emotional content I found to be overwhelming. I finished reading this several hours ago, and I still can't stop thinking about it.
Tim Caines
Dec 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
Wonderful, as is Hardy always!
Calvin
Mar 06, 2012 added it
Shelves: novels
Damn I love Hardy
Jon Falzon
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A short, but masterfully executed work from one of Britain's best. Though the story doesn't stray far from the expected, it remains at all times emotionally enthralling and exceptionally engaging.
Sam Livingstone
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Classic Hardy!
Stacie Lindsey
Jun 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
Classic. Never judge in a hasty fashion, you may not be extended the opportunity to change your opinion.
David
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Deliciously sad and fateful Hardy at his best.
Petra
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a magnificent little book! I am actually quite disappointed that it is so short, as I would have loved to immerse myself a little more in the story and the characters' lives! Oh, well.
da-wildchildz
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
Perhaps the moral of this story is to grasp opportunities as they come, as the characters in Fellow-Townsmen leave it until it is too late to get what they want. Beautifully sad and bitter sweet.
Leena
Jan 29, 2016
Erika Pethan
Nov 19, 2016
ZigZagSuck
rated it did not like it
Feb 07, 2013
Jillian
Jan 01, 2017
Laurie
Nov 15, 2015
Jeromy Lethebe
Jun 09, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »
Thomas Hardy, OM, was an English author of the naturalist movement, although in several poems he displays elements of the previous romantic and enlightenment periods of literature, such as his fascination with the supernatural. He regarded himself primarily as a poet and composed novels mainly for financial gain. The bulk of his work, set mainly in the semi-fictional land of Wessex, delineates cha ...more
More about Thomas Hardy