Start by marking “Paletas: Authentic Recipes for Mexican Ice Pops, Shaved Ice & Aguas Frescas” as Want to Read:
Paletas: Authentic Recipes for Mexican Ice Pops, Shaved Ice & Aguas Frescas

Paletas: Authentic Recipes for Mexican Ice Pops, Shaved Ice & Aguas Frescas

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  410 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
From the pure, radiant flavors of classic Blackberry and Spicy Pineapple to unexpectedly enchanting combinations such as Sour Cream, Cherry and Tequila, or Strawberry-Horchata, Paletas is an engaging and delicious guide to Mexico’s traditional—and some not-so-traditional—frozen treats.

Collected and developed by celebrated pastry chef Fany Gerson, this sweet little cookbo
Published June 7th 2011 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Paletas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paletas

Jul 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informational-nf
I have now an alarming number of friends who run. ON PURPOSE, with no one threatening chasing them, like as a hobby or something. I wish I was that girl, if for no other reason than my ass would probably look better in jeans. But instead I'm the girl with the new hobby of making these popsicles! This book is so pretty and the results, especially with fresh fruit, oh my god, so good. My ass remains untoned, but oh well.
Lenkanea
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever found a recipe so delicious that you licked the spatula, and once finished were even tempted to lick the blade of your food processor? That's my experience with Fany Gerson's Paletas.

I swooned when I first saw the cover. Sweet, icy, Mexican desserts? I'm sold! Aesthetically, the book is beautiful, but it's the quality of the book's recipes that really makes it stand out!

I first made Paletas de Aguacate (avocado ice pops) and found the blended result so delectable that I spent abou
Crissy
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Chia Limeade on regular rotation in my house!
David
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Summer and food
Recommended to David by: Amazon
I've preped three different pops using platic popsicle molds from whole-foods and was pleased with the outcome and originality. Though a bit more high-maintenence, the Spicy Pineapple Paletas were a crowd-pleaser. The Avocado pop was a hit on the beach though I don't think I used enough simple syrup in the recipe - and these melted a little more easily than the others. Last night I prepared the Caramel Paletas and while I've not reached in the freezer yet to try them the mix tasted wonderful and ...more
Susan
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I only made the quick coconut ones, but they were easy and super yummy. I'm going to make them again without the toasted coconut to make them even easier!
Kristi
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The recipes were inspiring, even if some were more involved or required hard to source ingredients.
Sara
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These look delicious.
And easy.
And the book is pretty.
MMMMMMmmmmmmMMM.
L.
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok book. Some recipes are obvious.
Foxthyme
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook, reference, bio
Forget about those insipid flavoured sugar water freezies and popsicles you used to eat.

Paletas and shaved ice are full of fruity goodness on the whole. And aguas frescas? If you've never even had a basic cucumber, lime juice, sugar, water and ice agua fresca you are not quenching your thirst properly in the hot summer heat. And so many more to try.

This book is a delightful collection of cooling recipes.
Amy
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In my family's opinion, nothing could be better in the summer than a popsicle or paleta. Gerson offers recipes for 24 different paletas, 11 for raspados or shaved ices, and 12 for aguas frescas or cool drinks. We have tried strawberry, blackberry, grapefruit, and yogurt with berries. We loved them all. Today we're debating whether to make coconut or watermelon, and I hope to try them all eventually. I'm so glad summer is nearly here again.

Update: now in midsummer, we have made the watermelon and
Licha
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There will have to be a fuller review to this later on. There is just too many yummy recipes in this book that I must try.

The author includes a little bit of history about Mexican paletas, raspados, aguas frescas, etc., plus some tips for each recipe.

The photography is delicious-looking. Almost wants to make you reach for the paletas pictured.

The one drawback for me was the hardcover-children's-book look of this book. Recipe books should always be on glossy pages that can be wiped down. The boo
Vivian
The author put together this book the same year she opened a paleta business in NYC. I thoroughly enjoyed the 17 page introduction -- telling about her memories of these treats while growing up in Mexico and their history and locale. Having visited Mexico once (driving down to Mexico City and city surrounding), I can draw vivid mental images through her descriptions.

Alas, I will probably never make a paleta. However, I was cheered to find that a very few recipes can be located through google.
Willow
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
OMG! This book was a completely frivolous buy. I don’t know what I was thinking? You see, I bought this ridiculously expensive stainless steel popsicle maker, and I wanted some recipes I could make with it. I definitely got that with this book.

This book has crazy recipes like spicy pineapple and avocado. I think several of them are pretty healthy for you too. For instance, I’ve already made the blackberry yogurt pops with were yummy, yummy. Most of these recipes are easy to make too.
I am very
Naomi Blackburn
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read my full review: http://bit.ly/16oMPMy

My opinion: OMG...I loved this cookbook! This cookbook screamed fun and tasty treats perfect for Summer. I was concerned a bit at first because the recipes were pretty boring and I have seen them in numerous places, but then they took off and had some really unique concoctions that appeared simple to prepare, even for the most novice chef. This would be the perfect topper to any Mexican meal or for a lovely sweet treat. I loved the ones that had drink fl
Charlotte Dungan
Dec 29, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this one for Christmas. Some of them look really healthy and tasty. I'm excited to try them out!

UPDATE: we made the watermelon pops today and they are delish. Next up are the coconut pops! My only complaint is that it's a lot of work and mess to make these for the small yields. Definitely double or even quadruple if you have enough molds (or store the liquid in the fridge), especially if you have to share with little popsicle hooligans.
Just - The romance reader
I feel a bit torn only giving this book a 3. It's not that I disliked it or have any complaints. The recipes are interesting, don't seem too challenging and the photos are gorgeous. I simply didn't find much of anything I really craved. I like popsicles, but truthfully I rarely eat them, so that's probably my main reason for a lack of temptation, not the recipes themselves. If you're an ice pop or popsicle lover then I definitely recommend this book.
P.
Aug 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I made 3 recipes from this and would've made more if I hadn't had to return it to the library. worth it for the avocado pop alone, but I wanted to try the eggnog, mexican chocolate, and spicy pineapple ones, too. If you have a hand blender and molds these are so easy and good.

I'm not into making aguas frescas or granitas so much, but I'm not going to rule it out in future.
Petra
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-i-own, cookbooks
This is a great little book with simple, easy-to-follow and tasty ice recipes for summer. The only thing wrong with the book is that it doesn't reside on my shelves permanently. Must look into finding a copy.
Interesting taste combinations; lots to try out. There are pictures for each taste combination, which was fun, too.
Summer
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
I have about six recipes in here that I go to over and over again. The greek yogurt berry paletas are wonderful and I make the watermelon paletas weekly during the summer. Also, the cucumber lime agua fresca is a constant in our house during cucumber season - it's the perfect way to use up bumper crops.
Ryan
Mainly just the recipes, with a little background at the beginning. Nice pictures spread throughout. I haven't made any of the recipes yet, but I did have one of the paletas from one of her carts this past weekend in NYC. It was quite good and I'm hoping the homemade ones will live up to them.
Rachel
Nov 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another well-researched and well-done cookbook by Mexican dessert afficionado Fany Gerson about the Mexican frozen treats paletas (popsicles with and without cream), fresh fruit drinks, and shaved ices. My only complaint is that it was so short, and I wished that there were more recipes.
Autumn
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
Not just paleta recipes, but also agua frescas and raspodos (snow cones!). My hibiscus agua fresca turned out awesome and cost about 25 cents for a bottle full. Your summer will not be complete without this book.

Korri
Though I haven't made any ice pops yet, thanks to Paletas I know that I can whip up delicious summer desserts in minutes (well, excluding freezing time). Can't wait to try some of these recipes out after I get my fruit farm share!
Carmen
Delicious recipes and pics of easy-to-make icy Mexican treats, including tamarind, avocado, coconut and apricot-chamomile pops. Some interesting background info regarding Mexican paleteria shops and her own NYC business, as well.
Traci
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
One of those cookbooks that is a book/cookbook. The recipes we've made have been great and the text makes you want to go to Mexico and eat/drink all the delicious treats and just take your chances with the water. :P
Tracy
Sep 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbook
I picked this up after trying some fancy fruit lollipops in St Augustine. I haven't tried any recipes, but I copied a bunch that look good and I'm all set for the warm weather to return.
John
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, food
Probalby will have to buy it. Too many excellent recipes, nice to be able to make La Michoacana at home.
Jess
For my friends making crazy Popsicles, this book is for you. lots of unique and tasty looking recipes
Mia
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food
Oh yum, and just in time for summer! Many uncommon combinations, and inspiration to create more of my own. Definitely a book to revisit as the weather gets hotter.
Rose
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I'll be trying a lot of these easy and interesting recipes for frozen pops this summer.
  • People's Pops: 55 Recipes for Ice Pops, Shave Ice, and Boozy Pops from Brooklyn's Coolest Pop Shop
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • At Home with Madhur Jaffrey: Simple, Delectable Dishes from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
  • My Pizza: The Easy No-Knead Way to Make Spectacular Pizza at Home
  • The Sriracha Cookbook: 50 "Rooster Sauce" Recipes that Pack a Punch
  • Olive Trees and Honey: A Treasury of Vegetarian Recipes from Jewish Communities Around the World
  • BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles
  • The Home Creamery: Make Your Own Fresh Dairy Products; Easy Recipes for Butter, Yogurt, Sour Cream, Creme Fraiche, Cream Cheese, Ricotta, and More!
  • Southern Pies: A Gracious Plenty of Pie Recipes, From Lemon Chess to Chocolate Pecan
  • Breakfast, Lunch, Tea: The Many Little Meals of Rose Bakery
  • In the Green Kitchen: Techniques to Learn by Heart
  • The Soul of a New Cuisine: A Discovery of the Foods and Flavors of Africa
  • Washoku: Recipes from the Japanese Home Kitchen
  • Ancient Grains for Modern Meals: Mediterranean Whole Grain Recipes for Barley, Farro, Kamut, Polenta, Wheat Berries & More
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook