Start by marking “Jesus Among Other Gods: The Absolute Claims of the Christian Message” as Want to Read:
Jesus Among Other Gods: The Absolute Claims of the Christian Message

Jesus Among Other Gods: The Absolute Claims of the Christian Message

In his most important work to date, apologetics scholar and popular speaker Ravi Zacharias shows how the blueprint for life and death itself is found in a true understanding of Jesus. With a simple yet penetrating style, Zacharias uses rich illustrations to celebrate the power of Jesus Christ to transform lives. Jesus Among Other Gods contrasts the truth of Jesus with foun ...more
Published February 6th 2002 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 2000)

Start your review of Jesus Among Other Gods: The Absolute Claims of the Christian Message
c.c. ladia
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-challenge
Beautifully said:
Napoleon expressed these thoughts while he was exiled on the rock of St. Helena. There, the conqueror of civilized Europe had time to reflect on the measure of his accomplishments. He called Count Montholon to his side and asked him, "Can you tell me who Jesus Christ was?" The count declined to respond. Napoleon countered:

Well then, I will tell you. Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne and I myself have founded great empires; but upon what did these creations of our genius depend? Upo
Alexis Neal
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 100-books, religion
This is a difficult book to summarize. Well-known Christian apologist Ravi Zacharias ostensibly wrote this book to distinguish the claims of Christianity from those of other major world religions. At least, that's what you would expect based on the title. But the title isn't really accurate. Other religions are mentioned, albeit in passing, but Zacharias' treatment of other religions is cursory and selective at best, and his normally incisive reasoning seems muddy.

I've enjoyed hearing Zacharias
Kris
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
He talks about so many different things, that his thoughts can feel scattered. But he’s a smart man with valuable things to say, so it’s still worth reading. I think I enjoy listening to Zacharias’s speeches, more than I enjoy reading him. Just don’t go into this expecting a thorough treatment of one idea, or some sort of cohesive doctrine.

When in the mood for more RZ, someday I want to pickup Can Man Live Without God.

Quotes:

“The purpose of this book is to lay out for you, the reader, why I firm
Jacob O'connor
Mar 28, 2014 rated it it was ok
I've been a fan of Ravi Zacharias for years. He might be the most eloquent speaker I've ever heard. I didn't enjoy this book.

The problem was, it reads exactly like Zacharias speaks. The very things that make him a compelling speaker make him a frustrating author. Every chapter I became impatient for him to make his point. His arguments get lost in his stories and anecdotes such that its hard to say exactly why he commends Jesus over against the other gods. I feel he's relying on the "ring of tr
Tylor Lovins
Jun 14, 2010 rated it did not like it
Jesus Among Other Gods is a book about an author's intellectual journey to get the last word in every conversation.

Philosophically, this book is a joke. If you want to read a conversation between a philosopher from the Dark Ages who encounters religions from other countries, then read this book.

I won't ever spend this much time on a Zacharias book again.
Ellen Maze
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Christians and anyone seeking to know more about Jesus of Nazareth
Recommended to Ellen by: Kevin R Maze
5-Stars
Ravi has such a way or conveying his ideas to you and this helps in a theology book. I agreed with his points, but more than that, he makes this book easy and even fun to read with his insight and poignant stories. I could read this over and over.
Rebekah Choat
Apr 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
We live in a time in which tolerance is counted the highest virtue: one is free to believe and practice any philosophy or religion he chooses, so long as he does not claim that it is right or true or better than any other. Popular sentiment would have us accept all belief systems as equally valid. The problem, of course, is that this premise cannot be upheld logically. If the tenets of one religion stand in direct opposition to the tenets of another, as they so often do, they obviously are not e ...more
Joon Ho
Aug 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
As a Buddhist, I was intrigued to read a book that claims to compare Christianity with Buddhism, Hinduism and Islam. The book, from the outset, is an apologia and makes no apologies for it. Even so it’s disappointing in several ways.

My overall impression is that Mr Zacharias talks a lot without saying very much at all. There are liberal uses of hyperboles which impresses upon the reader on the futility of non-Christian arguments. There are anecdotes of the writer’s encounters with people of othe
Brent McCulley
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: apologetics
A fantastic and refreshing read, that was as delightful as it was informative, Jesus Among Other Gods by Ravi Zacharias is a boldly apologetic work that is an excellent resource for the seeker and the Christian alike.

With that being said, the cover and title is a bit misleading; for instance, one might expect to find a compare and contrast between world religions, or a systematic study of Jesus in light of other gods, etc. The reality is actually not so, as Ravi states, however, unequivocally hi
Nick Kinsella
Oct 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I hate this word, but it's perfect for how I felt about this book:

"Meh"

Zacharias promises lofty theses he never delivers on in this book. I expected a comprehensive book that would take the time to examine the major religions point by point compared to Christianity, as Zacharias says he'll do in the first chapter. He never delivers. Instead, he seems to go off track a lot, and his arguments are pretty weak and appeal to emotion rather than logic. Zacharias is better than this.

He also has a lot
Joshua
Sep 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: male-authors
If you're a believer, this will probably strengthen your belief. If you'd like to believe, this will probably cement your belief. If you don't believe, this probably won't move you to belief.

Zacharias creates a world made of generalizations and East/West dualism and then shuts his eyes tight and runs around stepping on straw people. He's sincere, that's obvious, but he's too excited about his purpose and ends up writing a tiring and sporadic book.

I've never really understood the purpose of apol
Robin Patchen
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever heard it said that all religions are the same? Ravi Zacharias takes on that lie on and disproves it in this amazing book. Raised in India among Hindus, Zacharias has a unique perspective on the "other gods," which he pits against Jesus, the only Savior. You might not walk away from this book a Christian (though it's likely you might), but you'll definitely walk away knowing Jesus is unique among all the "other gods."
Lollita
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Seemed like alot of rambling and very little to no insightful compare and contrast to other religions
Neil R. Coulter
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Jesus Among Other Gods proposes an intriguing concept. Each chapter of the book focuses on one question that Jesus was asked, examining how the answer Jesus gave distinguishes him (and Christianity) from other religious leaders and religions. In leading a Bible study group through John’s gospel over the past year, I’ve been fascinated by the many times that people came to Jesus with the intent of putting him on “trial” in some manner, but Jesus quickly and incisively turns the tables so that the ...more
Tim Baumgartner
The subtitle of "Jesus Among Other Gods" is "The Absolute Truth of the Christian Message." I have read the "regular" version (as opposed to this youth edition) and this was MUCH simpler to read. Maybe this is because I read this youth edition AFTER seminary and the regular one BEFORE. Hmmmm. Anyways, Ravi's approach to discerning absolute truth is to address the often-told rumor that all religions are basically saying the same thing. In each of the 7 chapters of this book, the author compares th ...more
Laurel Hicks
May 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!
Sharon sumanti
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religi
"He is not dead, He is ALIVE in the best sense of term. The celebration has b e g u n....."

when Jesus speaks and says, " I am The Truth and The LIfe,"
He claims what no other did.

when He says, " My sheep listen to My voice,I know them and they follow Me. I give them ternal life, and they shall never perish, no one can snatch them out of My hand,"
He speaks as no other does.

Jesus did not only teach or expound His message,
He was identical with His message

He did not just proclaim the truth.
He sai
Yari
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have a lot of respect for Ravi Zacharias and his ministry. I've only listened to him speak and was eager to read one of his books. It didn't disappoint. I must point out, however, that the reader needs a bit of patience as Ravi lays out the foundation for his arguments. Context and viewpoints are key.
At the book's onset Ravi tells us his purpose: to lay out why he firmly believes as he does- that Jesus Christ is the Son of the living God. It was extremely encouraging and I've learned so much.
Jeremy
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
First RZ book I've read. I heard him speak at Clemson on March 8, 2012, so I wanted to have read one of his books by then. I think I expected more apologetics (which it did include), but there was also a lot of exposition of what Jesus said. However, the apologetics sections were brilliant.
Andrew Miller
Jun 27, 2015 rated it did not like it
This is a pep-rally for the previously convinced. If you're seeking a masturbatory look at Christian superiority, or a smugly selective grazing of eastern philosophies, you've found your book. However, if you're looking for true apologetic thought I would recommend you look elsewhere.
Shawn Paterson
Oct 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Although I probably did not understand much of Ravi's points in this book at the time - this is the book that shattered my atheistic worldview.
John
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zacharias is one of the most well known of Christian apologists for good reason. With that in mind, I read this hoping it would be a good resource to give to my own children at some point. There may be better ones out there, but this is very good.

Zacharias is humble, assertive, and understands what is at stake in apologetic encounters. This book puts all of this on display and presents it for young readers. This book is geared toward teenagers, so it isn't as comprehensive as an adult would desi
Denis  Ispan
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book to know some basic but deep ideas about the truth of Jesus in comparison to other gods. I think it's a good choice to give to your friends who doesn't believe in Jesus.
Kofi Gyimah
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for Christian to read. I haven’t spent much time understanding other major religions, but have always wanted to in order to make sure I had a baseline understanding. This book doesn’t necessarily give that, but it does a fantastic job of distinguishing between Christianity and these other major religions. This was a very informative book that I will definitely read again. I am a big fan of Ravi’s, may he rest in power.
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I can't believe it has taken me so long to read Ravi's work! I look forward to reading more. This was a great balance of academia and Bible as it pertains to our spiritual walk.
Ann
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-books
Ravi Zacharias is one of the most respected of Christian apologists and this book is an example of why. In this book Ravi explains in thought provoking style the key areas of Christianity that stand in stark contrast to three of the other major world religions, Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism. Having been born and raised in India, he has a unique perspective on all three of these religions that can be found thriving in his home country. In his dealing with the divinity of Jesus, I found myself be ...more
Rod
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My second time reading this masterpiece. I got much more out of it this time around.

Ravi is just about my favorite Christian thinker and Doer on this planet. Between Him and John MacArthur pretty much all of my questions have been answered. MacArthur does the Theology and scripture/And Ravi does the world religions and philosophy - It's all there!

I'm not sure any non-spirit filled Christian (?) or non-believer could get much out of this book - it's incredibly deep and requires a love of truth f
Geoff
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: apologetics
I had heard a lot about Ravi & watched some great presentations on YouTube so I came to this book with high expectations. I found the content excellent & there are plenty of original insights that come from Ravi's unique & broad experience. The opening chapter was a powerful account of his own spiritual journey.

My disappointment came from the lack of clear structure to the book - the progression through the themes didn't have a clear intuitive reason behind them that I could detect. Within the c
Jardinier
Jun 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-club
This is a classic "don't judge the book by the cover" type of read. This was in no way a comparison of different religions, although he does point out various aspects of Hindu and Buddhism. Instead, Ravi Zacharias sets forth his reason and logic for why there is a God, and how that God came to earth and took on the form of Jesus. Similar paths of thought can be found in Timothy Kellers book "Reason for God" as well as most of C.S. Lewis works.

The most interesting points of the book I found were
Tintinrulz
Apr 28, 2016 rated it liked it
"Jesus Among Other Gods: The Absolute Claims of the Christian Message" by Ravi Zacharias is an underwhelming read. Maybe I expected something more from Dr. Zacharias (his talks are generally very good), maybe I was looking for something different, maybe I've just recently read too much on comparative religions to be able to see anything of note. That's not to say there weren't a few good points made, there were. But overall, I found this book to be rather dull and samey. Some of the English was ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Case for Christ
  • The Case for the Real Jesus: A Journalist Investigates Current Attacks on the Identity of Christ
  • The Kingdom of the Cults
  • Tactics: A Game Plan for Discussing Your Christian Convictions
  • The Screwtape Letters
  • Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: A Devout Muslim Encounters Christianity
  • The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism
  • The New Testament Documents: Are They Reliable?
  • Stealing from God: Why Atheists Need God to Make Their Case
Ravi Zacharias was a speaker and an author of over 25 books. He fully believed the truth of Jesus Christ can endure the toughest critiques and spent nearly 50 years addressing life’s great existential questions of origin, meaning, morality, and destiny. He was founder and chairman of Ravi Zacharias International Ministries (www.rzim.org), headquartered in Atlanta with sixteen offices worldwide. He ...more

News & Interviews

“I came to Him because I did not know which way to turn. I remained with Him because there is no other way I wish to turn. I came to Him longing for something I did not have. I remain with Him because I have something I will not trade. I came to Him as a stranger. I remain with Him in the most intimate of friendships. I came to Him unsure about the future. I remain with Him certain about my destiny. I came amid the thunderous cries of a culture that has 330 million deities. I remain with Him knowing that truth cannot be all-inclusive.” 158 likes
“Truth by definition excludes.” 107 likes