Start by marking “Cries of The Heart: Bringing God Near When He Feels So Far” as Want to Read:
Cries of The Heart: Bringing God Near When He Feels So Far

Cries of The Heart: Bringing God Near When He Feels So Far

In this profound message from one of the great thinkers of our generation, Zacharias explores the inner feeling of futility that can overwhelm a human heart and helps us to see a reason for our suffering, be comforted in loneliness, and experience an abiding faith in our daily lives. Cries of the Heart is a book that both inspires and reassures…a search that uncovers our h ...more
Published October 26th 2002 by Thomas Nelson (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Cries of The Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cries of The Heart

Start your review of Cries of The Heart: Bringing God Near When He Feels So Far
Chon Rumthao
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was first recommended to me by one of my spiritual mentors, at a turbulent time when my entire world came crumbling down. A time when I began to wrestle with God with serious questions day and night, and night and day. The Bible before me would be wet with my tears in my attempt to unearth answers.

I began this book, with the hope that all my queries would be answered 'specifically'. In fact it did. This book led me to the discovery of God's own heart - not mine!! All the while, I had b
Greg
May 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Read the Bible... then read this.
Cheryl Minekime
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this book, really, and judging from the many favorable reviews of it many people do love it. However I found myself lost and bogged down by long chapters that frequently read like a dissertation. Personally I think the author could have made each of his points more succinctly in fewer pages. That being said, this book is not without merit and worth reading for anyone seeking God in the various trials and joys in life.
Georgia Herod
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Because both my heart and my mind say YES in response to whatever Zacharias has written or presented orally since I first heard him in the late 1980’s, I have eagerly read his books. I agree wholeheartedly with Max Lucado, who wrote the forward to this volume: “What others do with the golf club or operas or chemistry, Ravi does with Christian thought. He presents lucid answers to tough questions and makes the problems look simple.”

In this book he addresses the emptiness and ennui that can often
Cindy
Feb 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Cindy by: a friend
Did not like this nearly as much as Jesus Among Other Gods. In fact, the only reason I read it is because a friend handed it to me. It was too abstract for me at this time in my life - it appeals more to feelers than thinkers. Once I made it to the second half of the book it became much more intesting and coherent and I was able to finish that part in less than a week. The first half took over 2 months for me to wade through.

Ravi Zacharias is an extremely intelligent man; I just prefer different
Rachel
Dec 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A very, very good book. It's deep--I actually read it through twice in a row, because I knew I didn't get much out of it the first time. My favorite of the Ravi Zacharias ones I've read so far.

3rd reading: fall 2011
Grace
Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Ravi Zacharias can make irrefutable arguments but do so with such compassion that he doesn't offend. His biblical understanding and his brilliant logic make this book both an amazing Bible study as well as study in reasoning.

He tells of an interesting interchange between Malcolm Muggeridge and Mother Theresa, before his conversion. He wrote to her saying that he had no interest in church or in the Christian faith because of all the duplicity he had seen there. Mother Theresa responded, "Your pr
Jeklin
Jun 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really awakening. Very good book
Carl Herriott
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ravi does an impressive job of taking this book in a direction I did not foresee. Looking into the heart of our pain and turning our eyes to our creator, Ravi shows what all of our hearts long for.
BJ
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book. I'm consistently fascinated by the mind of Ravi Zacharias. I was particularly intrigued with his take on the Christian church's loss of reverence for God. He shared a story about how in the Hindi language the words for Mom and Dad are Mata and Pita but you would never call your Mom or Dad just Mata or Pita because it doesn't reflect the respect that they deserve. In Hindi you add the suffix -jee to those names to reflect that respect (so those become Matajee and Pitajee). He ...more
Jenny
Oct 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jenny by: Sarah Rotman
This book navigates you through your own tragedies or teaches you how best to support someone going through tragedies you can't even begin to imagine. Overall, the insight given here can prepare you for pain or help you heal afterwards. But if you don't expect life to be painful, well, maybe you should read more Shakespeare... ...more
Renee
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Books by this author are usually wonderful - I use them to keep myself sharp and grounded in a society where truth is blurred and absolute values are frowned upon. When I chose this book, though, I was looking for something soothing and devotional, and this book disappointed me.
David
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I would highly recommend this for any believer to read as Ravi explains, in some amount of paraphrasing, how we should legitimately respond from our heart a desire to understand ourselves and our identity in Christ as we experience pain, suffering, guilt, and loneliness.
Don
May 16, 2007 rated it liked it
Talbot Course: Personal Foundations of Ministry

Although I LOVE Ravi Zacharias' work, he's more of an apologist than a "counselor". A Must READ from Zacharias is "CAN MAN LIVE WITHOUT GOD?"
Becky
Nov 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I've read to date. ...more
Tabitha
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm reading this again... it's really good.. very deep. =) but i get some of it. =P ...more
Donna
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Anything Ravi writes is excellent.
Dewi
Sep 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Just starting reading this book from preface part, has fascinated me. It sounds interesting and not regret buying this book to be my reading.
Veronica
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: high-school
the most beautiful writing on suffering i have ever read
Jocelyn
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It took me some time to read this book. Ravi Zacharias has presented intensely disturbing and tough thoughts.
Janis Williams
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
He can just see things the Way God does and explain them in such a brilliant way!!! You don't finish a book like this you read it again and again it is so encouraging!

Jasmine
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If He be God, and died for me,
No sacrifice too great can be
For me, a mortal man, to make--
I'll do it all for Jesus' sake.
Elizabeth
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ravi is one of my favorite authors. So few people write to depth of the heart, this book does. Are you concerned with how a believer should deal with evil, problems? This book is for you.
Esther
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Deep thinking but understandable.
Sara
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: faith
Like true Ravi fashion, the title had very little to do with the contents of his book. Someone should really notify his publisher.

Overall, Ravi is a very skilled writer; his talent best shown through his ability to communicate complex theological ideas in a couple of concise paragraphs. However, I often find his lack of organization frustrating. He often transitions to another subject without warning and sometimes with little explanation of how the first topic related (if at all) to the second.
Omusindes
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cries of the heart

RZ exposes the limited ability of the sensual to meet our utmost spiritual need. When the church focuses on feelings rather than God’s law or will expressed in his word she stumbles on and becomes ineffective in a world that needs to find meaning and direction. As a believer my heart cries or struggles to integrate God’s express will or Law and Grace and reading this book helps me see how I must pay attention or obey everything God has commanded in faith. It seems to me that b
Randy Hass
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An insightful book by Ravi Zachariah that gives meaning to spiritual afflictions of the heart. He bases his explanations from a Biblical perspective.

He comes closer to explaining why evil and suffering exist in the world. In reading this, I feel that my bond with God is stronger than it ever has been and it has totally deepened my faith.

This book is not a quick read. It must be read slowly and digested before proceeding on. That said, it is well worth the time to read it. You won’t think of yo
Ron W.
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ravi Zacharias attempts to explain why our hearts are so restless by arguing that we try to fill our hearts with things other than what it was designed for, so we always come up short. If we are spiritual entities designed by a creator in relationship, then our hearts will only ever find meaning and peace with that creator. In this, Ravi speaks to both the secular and theistic audience to find this still small voice which insists on getting us to find our way home.
Laurent Dv
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent devotional book on feelings : loneliess, guilt, despair, love from christian perspective and analysis of the darkness of life without God, the only supreme good which can satisfy our deep desire.
Andrea
Apr 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I could not get through this. I have read many of Zacharias' books and find them thoughtful and insightful. This particular book just seemed to be stream-of-consciousness and I didn't see it addressing the issues that the cover claimed it did. Perhaps further in... I just didn't make it that far. ...more

• Orthodoxy
  • The Jesus I Never Knew
  • The Pilgrim's Progress
  • Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: A Devout Muslim Encounters Christianity
  • Authorized: The Use and Misuse of the King James Bible
  • Backstage Romance (Sweet Dreams, #191)
  • Deep & Meaningless
  • What's So Amazing About Grace?
  • A Year with C. S. Lewis: Daily Readings from His Classic Works
  • The Four Loves
  • I Am Me
  • The World's Last Night: And Other Essays
  • 90 Minutes in Heaven: A True Story of Death and Life
Ravi Zacharias was a speaker and an author of over 25 books. He fully believed the truth of Jesus Christ can endure the toughest critiques and spent nearly 50 years addressing life’s great existential questions of origin, meaning, morality, and destiny. He was founder and chairman of Ravi Zacharias International Ministries (www.rzim.org), headquartered in Atlanta with sixteen offices worldwide. He ...more

News & Interviews

“Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s” (v. 15). This verse is the middle verse of the Old Testament and rightly so, for it gives the assurance that when we trust in God He will fight for us. The battle is not ours; it is His.” 2 likes
“How do we build root systems capable of weathering every storm that seeks to draw us into the temporary and the profane?” 1 likes