Start by marking “Cries of The Heart” as Want to Read:
Cries of The Heart

Cries of The Heart

In this profound message from one of the great thinkers of our generation, Zacharias explores the inner feeling of futility that can overwhelm a human heart and helps us to see a reason for our suffering, be comforted in loneliness, and experience an abiding faith in our daily lives. Cries of the Heart is a book that both inspires and reassures…a search that uncovers our h ...more
Published October 26th 2002 by Thomas Nelson (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Cries of The Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cries of The Heart

Chon Rumthao
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was first recommended to me by one of my spiritual mentors, at a turbulent time when my entire world came crumbling down. A time when I began to wrestle with God with serious questions day and night, and night and day. The Bible before me would be wet with my tears in my attempt to unearth answers.

I began this book, with the hope that all my queries would be answered 'specifically'. In fact it did. This book led me to the discovery of God's own heart - not mine!! All the while, I had b
Greg
May 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Read the Bible... then read this.
Carl Herriott
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ravi does an impressive job of taking this book in a direction I did not foresee. Looking into the heart of our pain and turning our eyes to our creator, Ravi shows what all of our hearts long for.
Georgia Herod
Dec 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Because both my heart and my mind say YES in response to whatever Zacharias has written or presented orally since I first heard him in the late 1980’s, I have eagerly read his books. I agree wholeheartedly with Max Lucado, who wrote the forward to this volume: “What others do with the golf club or operas or chemistry, Ravi does with Christian thought. He presents lucid answers to tough questions and makes the problems look simple.”

In this book he addresses the emptiness and ennui that can often
BJ
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book. I'm consistently fascinated by the mind of Ravi Zacharias. I was particularly intrigued with his take on the Christian church's loss of reverence for God. He shared a story about how in the Hindi language the words for Mom and Dad are Mata and Pita but you would never call your Mom or Dad just Mata or Pita because it doesn't reflect the respect that they deserve. In Hindi you add the suffix -jee to those names to reflect that respect (so those become Matajee and Pitajee). He ...more
Cindy
Feb 13, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Cindy by: a friend
Did not like this nearly as much as Jesus Among Other Gods. In fact, the only reason I read it is because a friend handed it to me. It was too abstract for me at this time in my life - it appeals more to feelers than thinkers. Once I made it to the second half of the book it became much more intesting and coherent and I was able to finish that part in less than a week. The first half took over 2 months for me to wade through.

Ravi Zacharias is an extremely intelligent man; I just prefer different
Cheryl Minekime
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this book, really, and judging from the many favorable reviews of it many people do love it. However I found myself lost and bogged down by long chapters that frequently read like a dissertation. Personally I think the author could have made each of his points more succinctly in fewer pages. That being said, this book is not without merit and worth reading for anyone seeking God in the various trials and joys in life.
Jenny
Oct 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jenny by: Sarah Rotman
This book navigates you through your own tragedies or teaches you how best to support someone going through tragedies you can't even begin to imagine. Overall, the insight given here can prepare you for pain or help you heal afterwards. But if you don't expect life to be painful, well, maybe you should read more Shakespeare...
Rachel
Dec 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A very, very good book. It's deep--I actually read it through twice in a row, because I knew I didn't get much out of it the first time. My favorite of the Ravi Zacharias ones I've read so far.

3rd reading: fall 2011
David
Jun 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I would highly recommend this for any believer to read as Ravi explains, in some amount of paraphrasing, how we should legitimately respond from our heart a desire to understand ourselves and our identity in Christ as we experience pain, suffering, guilt, and loneliness.
Renee Ramos
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Books by this author are usually wonderful - I use them to keep myself sharp and grounded in a society where truth is blurred and absolute values are frowned upon. When I chose this book, though, I was looking for something soothing and devotional, and this book disappointed me.
Tabitha
Jan 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm reading this again... it's really good.. very deep. =) but i get some of it. =P
Veronica
Sep 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: high-school
the most beautiful writing on suffering i have ever read
Janis Williams
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
He can just see things the Way God does and explain them in such a brilliant way!!! You don't finish a book like this you read it again and again it is so encouraging!

Dewi
Sep 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Just starting reading this book from preface part, has fascinated me. It sounds interesting and not regret buying this book to be my reading.
Elizabeth
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ravi is one of my favorite authors. So few people write to depth of the heart, this book does. Are you concerned with how a believer should deal with evil, problems? This book is for you.
Jasmine
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If He be God, and died for me,
No sacrifice too great can be
For me, a mortal man, to make--
I'll do it all for Jesus' sake.
Jocelyn
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It took me some time to read this book. Ravi Zacharias has presented intensely disturbing and tough thoughts.
Esther
Feb 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Deep thinking but understandable.
Don
May 16, 2007 rated it liked it
Talbot Course: Personal Foundations of Ministry

Although I LOVE Ravi Zacharias' work, he's more of an apologist than a "counselor". A Must READ from Zacharias is "CAN MAN LIVE WITHOUT GOD?"
Donna
Jan 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Anything Ravi writes is excellent.
Becky
Nov 20, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book I've read to date.
Sara
Apr 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: faith
Like true Ravi fashion, the title had very little to do with the contents of his book. Someone should really notify his publisher.

Overall, Ravi is a very skilled writer; his talent best shown through his ability to communicate complex theological ideas in a couple of concise paragraphs. However, I often find his lack of organization frustrating. He often transitions to another subject without warning and sometimes with little explanation of how the first topic related (if at all) to the second.
Omusindes
Mar 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cries of the heart

RZ exposes the limited ability of the sensual to meet our utmost spiritual need. When the church focuses on feelings rather than God’s law or will expressed in his word she stumbles on and becomes ineffective in a world that needs to find meaning and direction. As a believer my heart cries or struggles to integrate God’s express will or Law and Grace and reading this book helps me see how I must pay attention or obey everything God has commanded in faith. It seems to me that b
Ron W.
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ravi Zacharias attempts to explain why our hearts are so restless by arguing that we try to fill our hearts with things other than what it was designed for, so we always come up short. If we are spiritual entities designed by a creator in relationship, then our hearts will only ever find meaning and peace with that creator. In this, Ravi speaks to both the secular and theistic audience to find this still small voice which insists on getting us to find our way home.
Andrea
Apr 11, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
I could not get through this. I have read many of Zacharias' books and find them thoughtful and insightful. This particular book just seemed to be stream-of-consciousness and I didn't see it addressing the issues that the cover claimed it did. Perhaps further in... I just didn't make it that far.
Laurent Dv
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent devotional book on feelings : loneliess, guilt, despair, love from christian perspective and analysis of the darkness of life without God, the only supreme good which can satisfy our deep desire.
Alex Csepregi
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book with some great insight into some of the most difficult questions in life. Easy-to-follow, yet genius logic.
Whitley
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book reads like a set of essays. It may not be everyone's cup of tea because of that; however, the information is thought provoking and simply explained.
Audrey
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really learned from the sections on pleasure (Cry for Freedom in Pleasure)and love (Cry of a Lonely Heart). The rest of the book was very solid, but overlapped with other books I've read. For example, the Cry for Purpose in Suffering was a thorough, sensitive analysis, but I skimmed the section. I would recommend the book as a great analysis of a handful of important issues.

• Love Has a Price Tag: Inspiring Stories That Will Open Your Heart to Life's Little Miracles
  • Simple Faith
  • Shopping for Time: How to Do It All and Not Be Overwhelmed
  • Growing in Christ
  • The Body
  • Lifestories: Finding God's "Voice of Truth" Through Everyday Life
  • She's Got Issues: Seriously Good News for Stressed-Out, Secretly Scared Control Freaks Like Us
For over thirty-five years Ravi Zacharias has spoken all over the world in great halls and universities, notably Harvard, Princeton, and Oxford. He is listed as a distinguished lecturer with the Staley Foundation and has appeared on CNN and other international broadcasts. The author of several books for adults and children, he powerfully mixes biblical teaching and Christian apologetics. His most ...more
“Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s” (v. 15). This verse is the middle verse of the Old Testament and rightly so, for it gives the assurance that when we trust in God He will fight for us. The battle is not ours; it is His.” 2 likes
“How do we build root systems capable of weathering every storm that seeks to draw us into the temporary and the profane?” 1 likes