Start by marking “Chaos in Death (In Death, #33.5)” as Want to Read:
Chaos in Death (In Death, #33.5)

Chaos in Death

(In Death #33.5)

3 hours, 41 seconds

Eve Dallas is the tough lieutenant hot on his trail, but this is unlike any case she's ever been assigned—or any killer she's ever pursued. A police sketch based on eye-witness testimony reveals the killer has green skin, swollen red eyes, goblin ears, and a dislocated jaw-structure that defies the human form. Is it a mask? Is it make-up? Or is the
Audio CD, Unabridged , 4 pages
Published September 27th 2011 by Brilliance Audio

Start your review of Chaos in Death (In Death, #33.5)
Phrynne
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5000-2019
Since I did not read the novellas on my first read through of this series Chaos in Death was all new to me and I really enjoyed it.

Of course it was too short but it was still everything I expect from J.D. Robb. There was the usual great story with lots of particularly nasty murders. All the important characters got a mention however brief. And Roarke got the chance to come to Eve's assistance and hit someone really hard.

All good. I liked it!
Shawna
3 stars - Futuristic/Romantic Suspense/Mystery/Crime/Science Fiction/Thriller Novella

“A man of amazing sexual prowess, great sensitivity, stupendous abs, and the face of an angel. Toss in a wicked sense of humor and stupendous wealth, who adores the very ground I walk on. Oh wait, you already have him.”

Nadine had been right, Eve thought, in her summary of him. Oh, she’d left a few things out, but all in all. He did have the face of an angel, a fallen one, with the wings well-singed, but that
Thenia
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another weird case for Eve and the gang, involving a demonic-looking, insane killer, scientists and former junkies.

People can do stupid things for stupid reasons and even experienced, tough cops, who think they've seen it all can be surprised.

Enjoyable as always.

Next comes Celebrity in Death where a movie based on one of Eve's investigations premieres!

Previous book reviews:
New York to Dallas (In Death #33)
Treachery in Death (In Death #32)
Possession in Death (In Death #31.5)
(view spoiler)
Somia
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A group of friends are brutally murdered, the scene a horrific sight, that would have been enough to keep Peabody and Eve busy, but then a woman reports seeing something that sounds like it belongs in a sci-fi book/vid - now the question is are they looking for a monster of myth or one that is an example of the darker and more insidious contours of some humans, or something in between the two?

I wasn’t so sure about this little novella when I first started, but then found myself pretty absorbed.
Anna Serene
This one was REAL weird. Much more paranormal/sci fi/fantasy than any of the previous books. It was just weird. And a little ridiculous, to be honest.
⚜️Trea
This was a very disturbing installment in the series. It directly follows the events in New York to Dallas, and we get to see how Eve is coming along in her recovery from those events. The premise had kind of been done before, and was likened to a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde type of scenario. Overall, I think it was a necessary installment, but I feel it could have been refined a bit more.
Rachael*Caribbean*girl*bibliophile
Shorter and not as good as many others in the series. Eve's still a badass but the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde plot kinda bored me. Still my favorite series ever. Just a touch of Eve and Roarke, but that Love's the stuff of legends when he takes his fists to Mr Hyde's face to help his woman ...more
Belles
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
I love the characters in this series, but I thought the premise of this one was stupid.
Aly
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5

This time, lieutenant Eve Dallas is searching for a killer who have so much fun massacring people that he dance around his victim's corpses. Her investigation reveal clues her and her team certainly never uncovered before.

Eve's social awkwardness never gets old. That's why I live for those interactions during and between her cases. Something about this novella remind me a bit of the movie American Psycho (can't say the book since I've never read it and you know that things can get changed
Anastasia
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Chaos in death by J.D Robb follows on from book 33 in the In Death series. A short novella giving us an In Death version of Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde.
Vfields Don't touch my happy!
It was Fun, fun, fun.
I'm in Love, love, love.
I want More, more, more!!!
Paraphrodite
Just needed a quick dose of Eve & Roarke. We haven't seen a novella from the series for a while now?
Nov 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2019
Chaos In Death is a novella available either as an individual ebook, or, as a bind up in print or ebook, that also includes the novella Possession in Death. I read it as part of the bind up but I'm reviewing both stories separately as I'm reading the whole In Death series in order and these stories don't follow each other chronologically.

Three people have been brutally murdered and of course Eve and Peabody are on the case ready to catch the murderer. The slight snag is that their only witness
Andree
Jul 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
So, this was too far on the sci-fi end for me. The actual mechanics behind the case were eye-rolly (view spoiler).

However, I'm giving three stars because I feel like all the character reactions post from New York to Dallas are spot on in this. So, good character work, terrible case work.
Lyndi W.
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
I dunno if I've ever rated an In Death story as less than 4 stars before... (Note: Apparently I have twice before.)

This story was probably best served as a .5 instead of being given the full-length novel treatment. But I wish it had been a liiittle bit longer. I felt like most of the time, there was more confusion than suspense. It's all very science-related, but there's no actual science - that's where this story loses 2 stars in its rating. Every suspect is a scientist, there are experimental
Lauren
Chaos in Death
4 Stars

In the aftermath of her ordeal in Dallas, Eve investigates the horrific murders of three homeless people with a connection to a research laboratory dedicated to finding treatments for drug addiction.

Like many of the novellas in the series, this feels like an epilogue to the full length New York to Dallas as we see characters coping with the consequences of the McQueen case. It was particularly satisfying to gain some insight into Roarke's feelings and how difficult it is
Venus Blancia
One of the Shorts and under the Unquiet Anthology. As usual there is a bit of paranormal [check synopsis] feels as what J.D. Robb would include in her In Death Novellas. As to the fans of the series, this is again another not to miss since I'm sure readers would like to know what happens to Eve after the solving the Isaac Mcqueen's case. Somehow, I am quite disappointed because I was expecting of all friends gathering together or Eve giving of souvenirs after coming from Dallas. But I hooked and ...more
Teresa Crawford
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it
A quick novella, but I wasn't impressed this time around. It was too weird for me, definitely not your usual "in Death" book.
MountainKat
It is always nice to visit Roarke and Eve again! And especially good when I've been struggling with books/narration that wasn't working well for me. The novellas are not as intense or emotional as the full length novels and this fit that pattern. This was simple, yet enjoyable Jekyll and Hyde type story made better by Roarke, Eve and Peabody too.

I listened to the audio and was delighted by Susan Ericksen's performance - as usual!
Aya
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery
In Death: 33.5

Solid case story with the requisite fantastical element, as this is a side story, not novel-length. Still, it progresses the background threads, which the author is really good at. It was nice to see Eve and Roarke having a healthy romantic relationship without Eve's usual bitchiness. I read this story as a part of The Unquiet short story collection.
Charlene
3.5 stars, rounding down

Novellas in a series are often disappointments. This one did nothing to bring the series forward, for me, and the story was too rushed at the end to make much sense. A bit too much "woo woo" for me, as well, bordering too much on the paranormal for my tastes.
Zoe Keller
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a cute short one. I loved that it picked up right after New York to Dallas and we got to see how Roarke was still worried about Eve. Great continuity and some cute moments.
Beth
Very quick, fun read. I love the futuristic aspect of these books
Nancy
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sac-has-e-book
A little disappointing. Didn't have the flow of her other books and the transformation did make sense.
Heather Gibson
This was a good one and I don't think I had read it before so that was a bonus
Tina
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a neat little whodunnit and how-dunnit.

Three recovering addicts who are really turning their lives around are found brutally murdered in their apartment. Eve catches the case. The weird thing is the eye-witness describes the killer as a green skinned, red-eyed monster who capered and danced up the street after the murders. He leaves behind a message on the wall of the house inscribed in the victims' blood and signs it 'Dr. Chaos.'

This leads Eve and her team to a prominent rehab clinic
Barbhbz
Dec 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was great read by all means I'm not saying that the story lacked any interest. You have Eve Dallas investigating this triple homicide & dealing with her traumatic past. Dr. Chaos the murderer is reminiscent of Dr. Jeckle & Mr. Hyde. The story was a quick escape from post holiday blues.

I knew that Nora Roberts was well know for her romance novels; however, I never had read her books before. Until a friend gave me a book called Black Dahlia.

I started reading The Black Dahlia
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
Lieutenant Eve Dallas and her partner Detective Delia Peabody of NYPSD are investigating the brutal murder of three homeless recovering addicts. Many things about this case appear to be strange and unusual. For Dallas and Peabody, this case feels personal to the core the trick is proving it. Meanwhile Eve is still dealing with the aftermath from the events in New York to Dallas. When Eve carelessly mentions Frankenstein Roarke say not that one by Mr. Hyde. Who is Mr. Hyde this time? Your answers ...more
Jonetta
Eve Dallas is back in New York after facing her monsters in Dallas, only to be confronted with a new one on her home turf. Three people are dead, viciously assaulted by someone who, well, looks like a monster.

It was great to see Lt. Dallas back in form as she tackles the latest case. She and Peabody were again in typical form, with their typical banter and investigating procedures. We also see brief interludes with some of the others but, yes, it was too brief.

I'm not a fan of the novellas and
Play Book Tag: Chaos in Death by J.D.Robb - 3.5* 4 11 Oct 11, 2019 09:45AM
J.D. Robb : Chaos In Death Buddy Read - June 2019 - Spoiler Zone 28 18 Jul 09, 2019 05:15PM
J.D. Robb : Chaos in Death (Spoiler Zone) 42 133 Jan 16, 2017 11:56AM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Chaos In Death (June 2015) - Spoiler Zone 20 15 Jun 21, 2015 02:24AM

• Her Greatest Treasure
  • The Other Side of the Coin
  • Under Currents
  • Sanctuary
  • The Rise of Magicks (Chronicles of The One, #3)
  • Ever After (Once Upon, #2)
  • Blackberry Juice
  • The Clever Boy and the Terrible, Dangerous Animal [With CD]
  • The Moon Ring
  • Wolf's Coming!
  • Mooncakes
  • Enchanted (The Donovan Legacy, #4)
  • Tigers in the Cage (The Great Library #0.1)
  • La metamorfosis
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more

In Death (1 - 10 of 51 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
“Eve: "What do you want?"
Nadine: "A man of amazing sexual prowess, great sensitivity, stupendous abs, and the face of an angel. Toss in a wicked sense of humor and stupendous wealth, who adores the very ground I walk on. Oh wait, you already have him.”
24 likes