Start by marking “Who Made God?: And Answers to Over 100 Other Tough Questions of Faith” as Want to Read:
Who Made God?: And Answers to Over 100 Other Tough Questions of Faith

Who Made God?: And Answers to Over 100 Other Tough Questions of Faith

In the quest for the truth, you need to know what you believe and why you believe it. Who Made God? offers accessible answers to over 100 commonly asked apologetic questions. Bringing together the best in evangelical apologists, this guide is standard equipment for Christians who want to understand and talk about their faith intelligently. Part one answers tough questions ...more
Published September 8th 2003 by Zondervan (first published August 26th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Who Made God?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Made God?

Atchisson
Feb 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great book? Ravi Zacharias is simply awesome.
Aaron Carlberg
Great reference book...got tough questions, it's a easy place to start.
Lauren Henson
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great book to start diving into some tough questions Christians may encounter. The brevity of some topics/answers can be expected when the quantity of questions being discussed is taken into consideration. Some writers seemed much more straightforward and concise than others; again to be expected given the type of book. Overall, worth the read.
Julie G
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian-faith

You can see from the cover that it is edited by my main man Ravi Zacharias. Ravi is my hero and it is very common in my house for my sentences to start with "Ravis says..." In fact, it's gotten to the point that anytime I say anything that could possibly be insightful, Luke automatically responds with "Did you hear that on Ravi?" I'd be offended but usually the answer is yes.

Ravi, however, didn't really write this one. He wrote one chapter and the other editor, Norman Giesler, wrote two (I thin
Bobbie
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was interesting but seemed to stray from the topic. It started out defending against the concept of randomness in creation and evolution apart from God, then wandered into a comparison of Christianity to other religions and philosophies
Harry Lee
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian
Have always dodged the difficult questions. But this book was a good start for me to tackle some of them. It is particular relevant toolkit to help deal with today's questions coming from different perspectives of science, religions and practices.
Fred
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: put-aside
This is a very good REFERENCE book. However, I don't see myself ever reading it cover to cover.
Lydia
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
A collection of questions and answers that includes many of the questions that Lee Strobel asks in The Case for Faith, but also has several answers about different religions' views on life as well.

The questions that were the same as The Case for Faith I thought were handled better and more detailed in that book, but this is less "interview" and more "thesis paper", so if you comprehend better with the one style over the other, read the according book. The new questions, however, were some reall

Brian Gerace
Feb 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
The writing was okay but I feel that the questions that they asked and answered were not the ones I would have asked. Didn't find the book very inspiring, glad I got it cheap.
Jim Ainsworth
Apr 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was written by six authors with Zacharias and Geisler as general editors. I was a little disappointed that Zacharias did not actually write any chapters. The book attempts to answer questions about the Christian faith including the one in the title. Questions about science and faith, evil, Jesus, miracles, the Bible and about other faiths and beliefs including reincarnation, Buddhism, Hinduism, and Black Islam are addressed.

The contributors are to be admired for tackling tough issues a
Frank Peters
Sep 15, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a good reference book, which has not aged as well as it might. Given that it is an apologetic work, I did not expect there to be any issues that would change appreciably with time, but was surprised to find this was so. In addition, the book was strongly centred in the culture of the US, and aspects (especially the last chapter on Black Islam) were irrelevant for where I live in Europe. This was highly disappointing. The book could instead have added a section on Islam, which would have ...more
Samuel
May 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: spiritually interested people
This book is a pretty easy read, divided up into nice sections. However, some of the reading can get a bit tedious, some arguments are a bit circular, and others weren't really all that convincing. I thought the last three chapters had some great info. on religions that I thought I knew more about than I did, so those were helpful. A good book if you want to dig into some places of theology you don't know a great deal about, this book will also allow you to pick and choose areas you're intereste ...more
Will O'kelley
This book was great. Drawing from some of the best and most well-grounded theological minds alive today, the book gives a beautiful picture of Christianity in the bright light of truth. The book was both encouraging and equipping. It helped me see some things I had forgotten about, and I would consider this book an incredible resource for any young Christian or seeker who is wrestling with hard to answer questions and is not satisfied with trite answers.
Tygh Walters
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Very rudimentary. Basically, this book was one huge self fulfilling prophesy; using religion to explain religion... something doesn't seem right?! And what's with the section on, "What is the unique appeal of Islam to blacks?" !!! C'mon!!! This book, although harboring good intentions, is slathered in self-righteous ignorance.
Kelli
Jul 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a big intellectual book, its completely helpful and well researched. Some of the questions, toward the middle of the book, did seem super simplified. However, others seem very deep and the answers thought over. I read most of it straight thru, but I think it serves pretty well just being a reference book.
Heather
Sep 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
After reading reviews of this book to get a feel for it, I saw several that said it didn't go deep enough into answering the questions. That actually made me want to read the book. Since I'm not a Philosophy major I didn't want the never-ending answers that are sometimes given to philosophical questions. This is a good one to read if you're looking for thorough answers without being wordy.
Scott Frazier
Apr 24, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a solid starter book for those looking for quick answers to tough questions. However, each response is relatively terse and unable to create a robust argument.

I would suggest this book to some of my students who were starting to explore the world of apologetics and want an broad overview of specific questions, but there are many other books I would recommend before this one.
Kaity
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Overall, I really liked this. There were a couple chapters that were so bad that it physically pained me to read them, but only a couple. I'm rapidly becoming obsessed with apologetics. I'd say about 95% of this book was really good and changed the way I think about some things.
Jess Martin
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
Some of the answers were good, others not so much. It was a good starting point, but ultimately these questions go much deeper than can be answered by ANY book. Find people you trust to talk about them with rather than blindly following someone else's explanation.
Danielle Schmidt
Oct 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christians wanting to discover/defend the depth of Truth in Christianity vs other religions
Delightful! Easy to read, difficult questions! Ravi and Norm are THE expertise in Apologetics in the entire world!

There are others in it that have been in other religions and now have faith in Christ too!
Art
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very thought provoking and insightful. The book also provided some interesting and basic groundwork of the world's largest religions. So when talking to people of other faiths, it's good to know their belief systems and where they're coming from spiritually.
Surya Shanmugam
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great starter book for any Christian who wishes to enter apologetics and defend their faith. The arguments are very clearly explained and the insight into other religions like Hinduism and Buddhism and other worldviews are very nicely elaborated.
Joshua Hansen
Sep 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is great but is very cursory and often not very helpful. Still good for basic overview but I was a little disappointed with some of the passages. But it was informative.
Timothy
Dec 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Fine selection of essays on questions nonbeliever might have regarding God and the Christian faith. The coverage is uneven at times but worth having on your shelf.
Steve lockwood
Jul 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great book. Very deep topics yet easy to read.
Brandon Barnes
Apr 13, 2012 rated it liked it
I like Ravi, but this book ended up feeling shallow.
aswang7890
Just the way I like it: short and sweet yet authoritative answers to questions on God, Jesus, Creation, Christianity etc. A very good reference for Christian apologetics.
Viktoriya
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not an easy read, but so thought provoking and interesting. Ravi has given intellectual answers to some very tough questions. Great book!
Amany
Nov 24, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
the parts about the bible and stuff and the parts about hinduism ,yoga , Buddhism are so damn boring
Kristi
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was ok
Easy read; it is divided into short sections. I did not agree with a few doctrines.
Christian Readers: Who do you trust? 24 369 Aug 29, 2013 03:33PM

• The Faith: What Christians Believe, Why They Believe It, and Why It Matters
  • The Kingdom of the Cults
  • Stealing from God: Why Atheists Need God to Make Their Case
  • Relativism: Feet Firmly Planted in Mid-Air
  • The Case for Easter: A Journalist Investigates the Evidence for the Resurrection
  • Love Your God with All Your Mind: The Role of Reason in the Life of the Soul
  • True for You, But Not for Me: Deflating the Slogans that Leave Christians Speechless
  • Gunning for God: A Critique of the New Atheism
For over thirty-five years Ravi Zacharias has spoken all over the world in great halls and universities, notably Harvard, Princeton, and Oxford. He is listed as a distinguished lecturer with the Staley Foundation and has appeared on CNN and other international broadcasts. The author of several books for adults and children, he powerfully mixes biblical teaching and Christian apologetics. His most ...more
“HOW CAN A GOOD GOD SEND PEOPLE TO HELL? This question assumes that God sends people to hell against their will. But this is not the case. God desires everyone to be saved (see 2 Peter 3:9). Those who are not saved do not will to be saved. Jesus said, “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing” (Matthew 23:37). As C. S. Lewis put it, “The door of hell is locked on the inside.” All who go there choose to do so. Lewis added: “There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, ‘Thy will be done,’ and those to whom God says, in the end, ‘Thy will be done.’ All that are in hell, choose it.” Lewis believed “without that self-choice there could be no hell. No soul that seriously and constantly desires joy will ever miss it. Those who seek find. To those who knock it is opened.”5 Furthermore, heaven would be hell for those who are not fitted for it. For heaven is a place of constant praise and worship of God (Revelation 4–5). But for unbelievers who do not enjoy one hour of worship a week on earth, it would be hell to force them to do this forever in heaven! Hear Lewis again: “I would pay any price to be able to say truthfully ‘All will be saved.’ But my reason retorts, ‘Without their will, or with it?’ If I say ‘Without their will,’ I at once perceive a contradiction; how can the supreme voluntary act of self-surrender be involuntary? If I say ‘With their will,’ my reason replies ‘How if they will not give in?’”6 God is just and he must punish sin (Habakkuk 1:13; Revelation 20:11–15). But he is also love (1 John 4:16), and his love cannot force others to love him. Love cannot work coercively but only persuasively. Forced love is a contradiction in terms. Hence, God’s love demands that there be a hell where persons who do not wish to love him can experience the great divorce when God says to them, “Thy will be done!” 11 likes
“C. S. Lewis’s musings before his conversion: My argument against God was that the universe seemed so cruel and unjust. But how had I got this idea of just and unjust? A man does not call a line crooked unless he has some idea of a straight line. What was I comparing this universe with when I called it unjust? If the whole show was bad from A to Z, so to speak, why did I, who was supposed to be part of the show, find myself in such violent reaction against it? A man feels wet when he falls into water, because man is not a water animal; a fish would not feel wet. Of course I could have given up my idea of justice by saying it was nothing but a private idea of my own. But if I did that, my argument against God collapsed too—for the argument depended on saying that the world was really unjust, not simply that it did not happen to please my fancies. Thus in the very act of trying to prove that God did not exist—in other words, that the whole of reality was senseless—I found I was forced to assume that one part of reality—namely my idea of justice—was full of sense. Consequently atheism turns out to be too simple. If the whole universe has no meaning, we should never have found out that it has no meaning; just as, if there were no light in the universe and therefore no creatures with eyes, we should never have known that it was dark. Dark would be a word without meaning.2” 7 likes