Start by marking “My Name Is Brain Brian” as Want to Read:
My Name Is Brain Brian

My Name Is Brain Brian

This "outstanding" (School Library Journal) book for children is the sensitive portrayal of a boy who struggles to hide his dyslexia from his friends. Based on the author's personal experience as a dyslexic, this novel is "drawn from real insight". Kirkus Reviews.
Published January 1st 1995 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published March 1st 1992)

Beatriz
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great children's novel! Explains the difficulties and genius of dyslexia.
Michelle
This book takes place in 1993 (published in 1993). I love that the author used the term 'learns differently' for the main character, Brian. Brian has dyslexia and needs to figured how he can learn differently than most students in his class. He learns to use assistive technology, a tape recorder and a laptop. For the times I think this is great and right on what was available. In many ways I'd love to see this story updated but I also like how simple it is with technology.
A great story to share
Katie Jackson
Dec 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Brian is a boy with dyslexia but doesn't know it. His teacher realizes his condition and gets Brian the help he needs. Brian is embarrassed of the extra attention he needs but realizes that he needs the attention becuase his brain works differently than everyone elses. This book would be used in my classroom to discuss self-esteem and always having hope.
Kim Pocock
Jun 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nice story about how it only takes one person to give a child what he needs in order to succeed. I only wish there had been some help/punishment for the trouble maker.
Daniel Burnett
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I ever read, I still remember it with fondness.
Sue
Jun 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, ya-children
Great lesson about dyslexia for kids.
Robin
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book for a student struggling with dyslexia or other learning disabilities. Students perspective of school, friends and family difficulties.
Cat
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very much a book from the early 90s. Wholesome, sensitive, and relatable. Feels like: early mornings and those Canada Geese...
Samuel Otilien
Oct 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Dyslexic author gets the story of a dyslexic student right
Bonnie
Betancourt, Jeanne. My Name Is Brain Brian. New York: Scholastic, 1993. Print.
Summary: Brian is a 6th grade boy who has problems with school work. His father accuses him of being lazy, despite the fact that Brian is trying as hard as he can. His best friends are John, Dan and Richie. They hang out in the shed of the Colgate Mansion (which really exists), an abandoned home in Sharon, Connecticut. The boys invent 1Cthe Joker 19s Club 1D. They get points for playing jokes on different people, but n
Mary Feeney
Dec 09, 2016 rated it liked it
My Name is Brain Brian, is about a young boy entering 6th grade who is challenged with the difficulties of reading and writing. He can’t even write his name correctly (writes Brain for Brian) but is unsure of why he can’t. He compensates for his insecurities by the acting out in class, joking around, and being known as the “class clown” He thinks that his friends like him, however, when he finally receives help from a caring teacher his “so called friends” tease him him and call him a “teacher’s ...more
Sara
Meh.

It's a story about a 12yo boy with dyslexia, lousy friends, and even lousier parents. I'm probably being picky, but a few things left a bad taste in my mouth-- for one, kids with shotguns, making fun of others as sport, and again, lousy parents.

It's nice to see a book about a main character coming to terms with his dyslexia. However, the resolution at the end left me wanting. I'm sure the author was going for the the "orphan complex" by giving the mc such uninvolved, uncaring parents. By the
Mehdi
Dec 12, 2011 rated it did not like it
My name is Brain Brian
By Jeanne Betancourt

Brian, is a very funny! He makes his classmates laugh when he write his name as Brain! But Brian knows that he is not really a brain! He is very stupid, and some of his classmates call him teachers pet! One day he discovered why he was so stupid, and it changed all of it.

I would not like to be friends with any character! Some are mean, most are stupid! I did not really like the book.

I did not like the book because Brian is very stupid and he doesn't real
Gordon Pennington
Dec 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: chapter-book
Brian, Dan, Richie, and John are the class clowns in school. They call themselves ‘The Jokers Club’. Sometimes Brian makes people laugh without even meaning to, such as when he writes his name as Brain instead of Brian. Mr. Bigham, Brian’s sixth grade teacher, diagnoses Brian with dyslexia. The other members of the Jokers Club begin to tease Brian about his problem, which forces Brian to truly assess what makes a real friend. He ends up becoming friends with a former enemy (Isabel) and disbands ...more
Nickie
I don't like the way kids and family are treating each other in the book but I do like that we are reading about dyslexia and the challenge of a boy who is diagnosed. One of our children also has dyslexia so it's nice to read about someone else with this challenge who is also bright in other ways that have to be discovered.

We finished this little book with some disappointment on my part. I really did not like how the parents behaved as adults. They sound unhappy and selfish.

I did like the change
Beth Bell
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it
It is extremely difficult to find a book for middle school students that gives them a peek into the life of a child with a learning disability. This was one of the better books. I felt that it was a slow start but improved as it went along. I was glad to see his teacher and tutor as two people pulling for him. It was disappointing that although his teacher was a good guy, he never took control of the teasing/bullying in his classroom. I would like to think that this aspect of the book was unreal ...more
Daniel Peterson
Dec 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: realistic
Summary: My Name is Brain Brian is a coming of age story of a sixth grade student, Brian Toomey, who struggles with dyslexia. The novel is a depiction of overcoming obstacles and making positive choices. Brian discovers he must choose his friends carefully, and that learning differences can be positive!

Review: The book positively portrays a character with a learning difference. Brian learns to overcome difficulties with the helps of parents, teachers, and friends. Accurate and detailed portrayal
Tej Pemmarazu
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent realistic Fiction. Brain is a good kid with responsible behavior. However, he gets into trouble at home and school because of his unknown problem and peer pressure. Him and his friends go to a secret hide out club where they meet after school and make jokes of other people. His parents are worried about his education and try to help him by hiring a tutor. At school he was assigned a project with a classmate, named Isabell that he is not really friends with. However, he puts ...more
Tweller83
Jun 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Boy named Brian finds out from his 6th grade teacher that he isn't stupid, just dyslexic. He worries about not being friends with his "Joker's Club" because they all don't want to do well in school. He starts working with a tutor and feels much better about himself as the book goes along. He finds out he inherited his dyslexia from his father and grandfather. It seemed a little short in the explaining how dad got such a good job with dyslexia that went undiagnosed and untreated, but overall a go ...more
Janine Darragh
Sep 11, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya-disabilities
This is a juvenile fiction book about a boy with dyslexia. Brian, a sixth grader, has to learn how to cope with his learning disability as well as his choice of friends and their behavior. The disability is realistically portrayed and does not overwhelm the plot line. I didn't hate it, but I wasn't moved by it either, hence 3 stars.
Danielle Krause
Feb 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: school
Although it does have some inaccuracies about the handling of disabilities in school, this book takes a humorous and sensitive approach towards the problems many new middle schoolers face. Kids will be able to relate to the themes of friendship and problems in school, and Brian is an interesting and intelligent narrator.
Brian Cave
Brian and a group of boy's could not stand school so they tried to make people laugh. One day Brian was called to the board, and spelled his name Brain. This was not part of a joke, but Brian had dyslexia. Brian is now the one who is teased, and troubled by his cognitive disability. His father is also a dyslexic, making matters even worse. You will see Brian grow.
Megan
Jun 03, 2008 rated it liked it
I was supposed to teach this to my kids this year, but ended up running out of time. I'll be interested in what they have to say next year, though--I think some of them will recognize themselves in the annoying bad boys.
Krista
Jul 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book would be appropriate for a low elementary student who was struggling with their special needs. I love that it speaks to a special needs child, but I didn't find much substance to the book. Perhaps one day I'll run across a student who connect with this character.
Jenn P
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm reading this for my special education course. I love the perspective the book is giving through the eyes of Brian. Not only is he struggling with a learning difference, but then the peer pressure all kids go through. I'm intrigued as to how my professor is going to use this in the class.
Heather
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it
It was a good book but was disappointed with the ending. It wrapped up too quickly leaving several story threads incomplete. While I don't think all stories need to have a neat and happy ending, I do think it's important to follow through and finish threads that were started.
Banana
Nov 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book it is such a good book about dyslexia
Bernie Roller
Dec 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Finally a book for intermediate students with dyslexia to learn that they are different learners and that it is okay!
Beth
Jun 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 700-lexiles
Slow start but good book.

• Back to Front and Upside Down
  • Rogue
  • Blackwater
  • Double Dutch
  • My Dyslexia
  • Water Street
  • Well Wished
  • Breaking Rank
  • Homeless (Wild at Heart, #2)
  • Pinned
  • Return of the Library Dragon
  • Gib Rides Home (Gib, #1)
  • The Not So Boring Letters of Private Nobody
  • A Boy Called Twister (Urban Underground #3)
  • Do The Funky Pickle
  • Best. Night. Ever.: A Story Told from Seven Points of View
  • The Big Splash
  • Left Out
When I was growing up I never thought of being an author. I was a terrible speller and didn't want to write any more than I had to. I wanted to be a tap dancer when I grew up. After a few years of teaching junior high and high school, I wrote my first novel. It was a surprise to discover that I liked making up stories and writing them down. I liked it so much that eventually I stopped teaching and ...more