Start by marking “So You're Going To Be a Dad” as Want to Read:
So You're Going To Be a Dad

So You're Going To Be a Dad

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  163 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
We offer FAST shipping & Great Customer Support!!
Published March 22nd 2000 by Da Capo Press (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about So You're Going To Be a Dad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about So You're Going To Be a Dad

Matthew Coiner
Jul 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a fantastically funny look at what happens during pregnancy and birth. I laughed so many times as I read through it and I still laugh as I catch myself doing things he talked about a new dad doing. From beginning to end (even the glossary at the end) I found myself laughing. This is a must read for any soon to be dad!
Tracy
Aug 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very good book about becoming a dad. It is written in a down-to-earth style that is not daunting to read. I learned a lot from it, especially that I'm not the only one to be terrified to become a dad. I would recommend it to anyone that is expecting children.
Rohan Stewart
Feb 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Felt I had to read this when my wife was pregnant the first time. Glad I did as it was very useful-especially when explaining women's pregnancy mood swings, which by he way, get more frightening as the weeks roll on. Dads- well worth the read.
Fabricio
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books, have
I got this book as a gift which caused some expectation from the title. I've tried to lower those when I first read other reviews, but it didn't help much.

Summing up is a book written by a father, trying to share the things that he went through and experienced. He's very clear about his lack of a more wide experience since he is limited to his three daughters. This could be even nice, but in the end, makes the book too shallow since it's intention is to "prepare" you for what is coming ahead.

It
Daniel
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ensina muitas coisas sobre a paternidade de maneira divertida.
Andy Downe
Mar 12, 2016 rated it liked it
I don't know if 3 stars is a bit harsh? I've never rated a self help\educational book before. I did learn some things but I guess after finishing this I'm still in no much more confident a position than I was before.

Still worth a read for soon to be first time fathers, as I said I did learn some things and the more we can learn the better.
Warwick
Probably the only book a man needs to read regarding the change or life that is facing them.

Realistic and down to earth perspective on all situations that are to be faced, from pre-pregnancy, during pregnancy and when the real fun begins birth and taking care of the baby.

It's a book I feel i'll re-read sections of it again in maybe a year or two
David Owen
Not because it was bad. I just can't be bothered reading a book about being a dad... Now that I'm a dad. What I read I enjoyed and may return to it later but right now sleep is more pressing than whimsical observations about parenthood.
Matt
Jul 09, 2014 rated it liked it
This was a pretty entertaining read, all new Dads can identify with it. Its fairly satirical but also has some really good relevant information! Some parts dragged on a bit and I felt myself skimming a few pages but all in all a good read!
Elizabeth
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
My MIL got this book for my husband, and I read it too because it seemed to have practical advice written in a humorous way. His thoughts on dealing with pregnancy seemed very apt to me.
Alan
Feb 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simple, lighthearted and easy to understand. I got some good laughs!
Aaron
Jan 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a good first book to read for a soon-to-be dad. Funny, insightful and not overly complicated.
James Raynes
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
A basic, but very amusing primer for prospective fathers. Well worth a read.
Elizabeth
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My husband actually read this one which is saying a lot as he's not big on the self-help genre. Helpful and funny for both of us.
Andre Piucci
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Então eu ia ser papai...

##################
##################
Jd
Aug 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fathers to be
One of the best books I have read in a long time the author is funny and the book reads like conversation (i like that).
Peco Porto
Sep 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boa leitura para pais de primeira viagem. Nada de teoria; um relato bem humorado da experiência de um pai de três filhas.
Mark
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
A good no-nonsense book for expecting dads. Pretty funny with some reassuring commentary: everything is going to be fine.
Álvaro Couto
Jul 27, 2015
Frank
May 23, 2014
David Lam
rated it did not like it
Apr 17, 2015
Zach
Feb 14, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Mafia Summit: J. Edgar Hoover, the Kennedy Brothers, and  the Meeting That Unmasked the Mob
  • American Cornball: A Laffopedic Guide to the Formerly Funny
  • Inside Jokes: Using Humor to Reverse-Engineer the Mind
  • Teach Me to Pray
  • Untitled
  • Emerging Worship: Creating Worship Gatherings for New Generations
  • Lucky Man
  • Aura Reading for Beginners: Develop Your Psychic Awareness for Health & Success
  • Ninja Mind Control
  • Chewing the Page: The Mourning Goats Interviews
  • Leadership Coaching: The Disciplines, Skills, and Heart of a Christian Coach
  • CustomerCentric Selling
  • Dies: A Sentence
  • King, The Complete Edition: A Comics Biography of Martin Luther King, Jr.
  • They Say the Owl Was a Baker's Daughter: Four Existential Noirs
  • This Gulf of Fire: The Great Lisbon Earthquake and Its Aftermath
  • Fame, Fortune and Ambition: What is the Real Meaning of Success? (Osho Life Essentials)
  • Jimmy Lagowski Saves the World
eter Downey is on executive staff at a Christian school in Sydney, Australia. The author of three marriage and parenting books, including So You're Going to be a Dad, he was listed in The Bulletin magazine as one of Australia's Top Ten parenting authors. He is also author of Everything You Want to Know about the Bible (co-authored with Ben Shaw), a book about Jesus for the Bible Society, and has w ...more
More about Peter Downey...