Start by marking “Bride by Mistake (Devil Riders, #5)” as Want to Read:
Bride by Mistake (Devil Riders, #5)

Bride by Mistake

(Devil Riders #5)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  1,959 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
Eight years ago, Lieutentant Luke Ripton made a hasty wartime marriage-in-name-only to protect a young girl from a forced union and left her protected in a remote mountain convent. Now, Luke is Lord Ripton, but he has been unable to obtain an annullment. Which leaves him no choice but to claim a wife he doesn't want.

For nearly a decade, Isabella has waited like a princess
Published January 3rd 2012 by Berkley (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Bride by Mistake, please sign up.
Hazafa Asif I loved Marcus. He was a strong character. Wish there had been more about him!

Susan
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. Luke married Isabella when she was thirteen to protect her from her cousin who wanted to marry her for her fortune. It was the middle of a war, so he took her to her aunt, who was a nun, intending to get the marriage annulled when the war was over. When he finally got around to it, he found out that it could not be annulled, so he returned to Spain to claim her. He didn't want to be married, but figured he'd deal with it. Having been raised in the convent, he expected a quiet, ob ...more
Jacob Proffitt
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steamy, romance
I enjoyed this book very much. Most of that is down to Isabella. What a fantastic heroine! I liked her courage, determination, and her open heart. I particularly liked how she couldn't help but dream of better things even as she recognizes them as just dreams.

Luke was less appealing. He wasn't so much autocratic as outright dictatorial and that made him less attractive by far. Fortunately, he learned to roll with Bella's defiance (he took being forced to chase her sidesaddle very well, and that'
Pamela(AllHoney)
The fifth book in the Devil Riders series. Lieutenant Luke Ripton interrupted a man assaulting a young 13 year old girl and then to protect her he married her and left her in the care of a convent. Now, years later he goes to Spain to collect his bride, but Isabella is not the obedient bride he expects.

It started off pretty good and I had high hopes but it didn't quite reach them. It had it's moments but overall it was just a fair read for me. The book seemed uncertain where it wanted to go. The
mad4rombks
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Got 37% in and couldn't go any further. As much as I love this series and the author, I couldn't finish this one. Heroine came off as a spoiled brat (which was strange as she's lived in a convent for the past 8 years). Disregarded everything the hero told her and made several TSTL decisions. I made myself wait to read this one because I knew it would be a while before we got another book in this series and this was such a letdown. Had such high hopes for it. :(
Eli Yanti
Mar 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I started reading this book, I straightly knew I will love this book so much. This book’s story is the kind story that I love to read and the character of hero/heroine, their interaction and other thing just make this book “amazing” ;)

And here is my short review

Luke Ripton had promised that he will never ever go back to Prancis anymore – the country that he hate so much and make him remind the bitter that has changed his life but there is a mission that he has to accomplish and the mission
Olga Godim
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, romance
I didn’t like this book as much as the others by this author. I still enjoyed reading it, but the number of irregularities kept me off-key, and some of the events of the story towards the end seemed artificial and unnecessary.
The plot develops along the usual regency romance lines. During the war on the Peninsula, then a nineteen-year-old lieutenant Luke Ripton, a charming, sunny-natured boy, married a thirteen-year-old Spanish orphan Isabella to save her from a hateful marriage. He delivers his
eyes.2c
Started off with gusto, kept up the tempo and then ended a tad flat.
Katherine 黄爱芬
Para fans S.A.M bersoraklah!!!!!!!!

Cerita diawali oleh pencarian Luke ke Spanyol utk mencari pengantinnya yg ditinggalkan selama 8 thn. Bella, si pengantin yg ditinggalkan di biara Malaikat Patah sdh nyaris putus asa mau minggat dr biara tsb, namun untunglah keburu dijemput oleh Luke. Bella awalnya marah krn merasa spt bingkisan yg sdh terlupakan dan baru diingat kembali utk diambil (ini dikarenakan Bella tahu Luke terpaksa menjemputnya krn pernikahan mrk tidak bs dibatalkan).

Dan sepanjang perja
Virginia
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
This is such mediocre dreck. Why am I always fooled by author blurbs on the front of the book? The writing is so stilted and if I have to read one more time that the girl's eyes are GOLDEN then I will throw the book across the room.

As to why I am even bothering with finishing it, I suppose the plot is serviceable - and I really miss romance novels. BLARGH. On second thought, I think I won't bother finishing the book. I have a bunch of GOOD books in the queue so why waste time?
iska
Dec 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Queria algo de romance y sensualidad y creo que tengo la satisfacción de a verlo encontrado, bueno como siempre ya les había dicho que en estos meses no pude reseñar nada, o lo hacía de muy pocas palabras porque no me concentraba por los estudios y creo que ahora puedo estar más relajada.

Así que vamos!

El sabado me surgio la necesidad de leerme el genero romance, ya hace tiempo no leía este tipo, y encontre este libro, al principio vi la portada y me encanto, me gustan las portadas simples, y est
Dione Sage
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
When I first read the description of Bride by Mistake I was truly intrigued. I dove into it immediately and finished it in a day. It’s not a huge novel so it didn’t prove hard to do and I really didn’t want to put it down once I started. The story is about a Lord Luke Ripton, an attractive ex-military Lietenant that was positioned in Spain during a war time and under stressful circumstances he made a hasty marriage to a young girl named Isabella Mercedes Sanchez y Vaillant. The heroine’s name it ...more
Lorka
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Eh, another dud for me. It actually took me quite awhile to get the image out of my head that the heroine was not a 13 year old anymore, like when the couple first met while the hero rescued her (and married her and left her in a convent for her safety). Besides that image of her being 13 yrs old in my head, (when she was really 21 yrs old now or around there), the only other imagery I had of her was her golden eyes (you are told about them often), her overly big nose, how unattractive she was c ...more
Jacqueline
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Debated between 3 and 4 stars for this one so since I'm feeling generous I went with 4. Anne Gracie does such a good job with setting her stories firmly in their time periods and places that I enjoy them even if other elements might not be so strong. There was nothing particular that I disliked but I felt the romantic relationship lacked something some depth. It was all rather easy maybe?
Leigh
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
"Love isn't pain, Mama," she whispered, "It's joy."

I was excited to read at first and then I got bored....
I think I’m just too picky. For once I’d like to have a story that features two MCs that are equals. Equals in looks, wealth, intelligence, and all that. In this story, the h is wealthy, smart, but plain. Really plain. Why must the h be a homely thing with little to no self esteem while the H is a dark haired angel? The h’s ugliness is mentioned so often that I wanted to scream.

There were too many things that I didn’t like in this one. The dismay and humiliation experienced by the h in the begi
Eleni Konstantine
An amazing way to end the series. Finally Luke meets his match in Isabella. This fiery Spaniard is exactly what this Lord needs - passionate, caring and oh-so-headstrong. This tale has two characters who feel guilt over their past actions, and who are trying to make a marriage of convenience work. I loved the banter between these two - a few giggles along the way, as well as a few tears. Just lovely.

Anne Gracie's stories are magic and this wasn't any different. Beautifully written as always. Sa
Bookaholics
Jan 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bride by Mistake by Anne Gracie
Historical Romance Jan. 3rd, 2012
4 stars

Bride by Mistake is the fifth in the Devil Riders series about young men who go to war and return changed by the horrors of war. The hero, Luke Ripton is tortured by the death of his dear friend Michael and feels responsible for his death.

Luke is handsome as a dark angel and pursued by woman from all high society, but his heart is closed from all feelings. He has a death wish but a heroic act in his youth leaves him some unf
Lover of Romance
Eight years ago Luke Ripton married a thirteen year old girl that would be forced to marry at such a young age, so he offered her his protection in matrimony and left her in a convent in Spain. Now he has heard news that his offer for annulment from the church has been rejected, so he has no choice but to claim her and bring her to England. When he arrives in Spain he expects to find a meek and biddable young woman that is very obedient and more than willing to be claimed. What he doesn't realiz ...more
Sharon
Nov 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Bride by Mistake is the fifth installment in Anne Gracie's Devil Riders series. The series revolves around a group of men who have returned home to England from Spain, and are changed and dealing with the horrors of war. One of their famous Devil Riders didn't make it home, and no one is more haunted (and feels responsible) then our hero Luke Ripton.

Ripton is past the age where his family wants him to marry, but he has to take care of something first. He is already married and an annulment is n
Marisa
Jan 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Author Anne Gracie has given us two unique personalities who have survived the devastating effects of war yet still maintain the courage of their convictions. As with any good romance hero Luke has secrets that have not only changed him but have also locked away his ability to forgive himself. Isabella is a heroine who is strong, capable and alluring in her straightforwardness. There are no ‘big misunderstandings’. Rather, in Bride by Mistake, we have a heroine who is clear in what she wants as ...more
Caz
Anne Gracie manages to put a slight twist on your usual Marriage-of-Convenience story here and I thought it worked well. The characters were engaging, but neither was perfect, which made things more interesting in that they were both stupidly pig-headed at times and calm and understanding at others. Both of them had massive insecurities - she that she was unattractive, and he that he was responsible for the death of a close friend - and those insecurities were shown to affect Luke and Isabella's ...more
Juanita Kees
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've only recently discovered Anne Gracie and am now very definitely a fan. Love the light-hearted, spirited approach to writing and the underlying humour that goes into each chapter. Bride by Mistake is a real page turner and the more I read, the more I warmed to Anne Gracie's voice.

When Lieutenant Luke Ripton makes a hasty wartime marriage to save Isabella from the misery of a marriage to her nasty cousin, he leaves his child bride untouched in a remote mountain convent with the expectation of
Helen
Jan 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is another magical story by Anne Gracie I just seem to fall into the story from the first chapter the characters are so real. Luke and Bella were married so young and for years had not seen each other but when they reunite the sparks fly Luke learns to trust as Bella and Luke learn what love is all about.

This story is an amazing adventure through Spain with ups and downs as they journey to their wonderful HEA. It had me laughing and crying the book is passionate and emotional.

Loved it I bow
Joy (Cheery♡Reads)
The blurb of this story instantly drew me in as it kind of reminded me of my fav series, The Wife Lottery by Jodi Thomas and it was unputdownable as soon as I started it.

I really love the story and the characters. They were so fiery, interesting and engaging. It was really well written but the reason I subtracted a star was because of how Luke's greatest affliction was resolved. I thought it was done too quickly, before I knew it, Luke's nemesis was already gone and done for.

Overall, this was a
Gnome Claire *Wishes she was as cool as Gnome Ann*
It did start pretty promisingly but seemed to get more predictable and less sure to itself towards the end and sort of petered out. We have a damaged hero who hates himself for some imagined and mysterious flaw, and the heroine who doesn't believe she's pretty or loveable, I just felt like I'dread it before.

Reminded me a bit of when the duke returns by eloisa james and the spanish bride by georgette heyer.
Hazafa Asif
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
I love Anne Gracie. Merridew sisters will always be my favorite and Devil riders were too until this book. I liked Luke from the start he was way too promising, he was supposed to be a fallen angel,tragically beautiful. But somehow his story got beaten up treatment and his character lacked depth. It is so upsetting, i was looking forward for Luke's story.Somehow this story wasn't as deeply touching as it ought have been.
Caroline Yamashita
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Luke meu anjo, você não poderia ser mais cavalheiro do que é.
Mesmo com seus segredos, escuridões, e pesadelos, você cuidou de uma menina, e deu tudo o que podia por ela, isso sem nem mesmo conhecê-la.
Você escondeu de todos os seus amigos o que você realmente era, e foi muito injusto com você: VOCÊ NÃO TEVE CULPA!
Adorei seu livro seu lindo! :*
Genieve Ong
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-read
awwwww how beautiful... another happy couple I would love to cherish... how charming.. At first I was gravely sad for Isabela but Luke oh my dear Luke thank you for saving her... this story made my weekend wonderful even with dark shadows under my eyes hahaha
ms bookjunkie
Nov 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, historical, romance
*warm fuzzies* Such an all-around happy ending. *happy sigh*
Maria
Aug 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly enjoyable story about a young man who helps a thirteen-year-old girl during the Peninsular wars by marrying her, planning to get it annulled later, only to find out that the marriage will stand. He goes to collect her from the convent where he left her eight years before and has to face a return to Spain and his memories of pain and the death of a friend. Well-written, fast-paced, and haunting at times, Bella touches your heart as she tries to deal with the ups and downs of her life ...more
Más libros para Latinoamérica!! 1 1 Mar 04, 2017 10:00AM
  • Confessions from an Arranged Marriage (The Burgundy Club, #4)
  • An Unexpected Gentleman
  • Sunrise with a Notorious Lord (Lords of Vice, #4)
  • A Duchess to Remember (Ministry of Marriage, #3)
  • Blame It on Bath (The Truth About the Duke, #2)
  • The Art of Duke Hunting (Royal Entourage, #2)
  • Beguiling the Beauty (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #1)
  • No Longer a Gentleman (Lost Lords, #4)
  • A Winter Scandal (Legend of St. Dwynwen, #1)
  • Unraveled (Turner, #3)
  • Midnight's Wild Passion
  • A Lady Never Surrenders (Hellions of Halstead Hall #5)
  • Sins of a Virgin (Sinners Trio, #1)
  • How to Ravish a Rake (How To #3)
  • A Beginner's Guide to Rakes (Scandalous Brides, #1)
  • Scandal Wears Satin (The Dressmakers, #2)
  • Scandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2)
  • The Seduction Of Elliot McBride (MacKenzies & McBrides, #5)
I've always loved stories. Family legend has it that I used to spend hours playing in the sand pit, with a dog on either side of me and Rocka the horse leaning over me, his head just touching my shoulder, while I told them stories. I have to say, dogs and horses are great audiences, apart from their tendency to drool occasionally. But people are even nicer.

In case you imagine we were a filthy rich

Devil Riders (5 books)
  • The Stolen Princess (Devil Riders, #1)
  • His Captive Lady (Devil Riders, #2)
  • To Catch a Bride (Devil Riders, #3)
  • The Accidental Wedding (Devil Riders, #4)

Romance Deals

• Party Girl
    $4.49 $1.99
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Paris (International Guy #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Him (Fool Me Once, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Off Base (Out of Uniform, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Second Chance Summer (Cedar Ridge, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beneath Copper Falls (Rock Harbor #6)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Tight
    $4.99 $2.49
  • A Year of Weddings: Twelve Love Stories (A Year of Weddings Novella)
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Feral Sins (The Phoenix Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How to Tame a Beast in Seven Days (The Embraced #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Shame on You (Fool Me Once, #1)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Shame on Me (Fool Me Once, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Exes (Liars, Inc., #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Shadow's Edge (Night Prowler, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Taste of Magic (Magic, # 1)
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • New York (International Guy #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Sin With Me (Bad Habit, #3)
  • The Memory of You
    $8.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wicked Cravings (The Phoenix Pack, #2)
  • Good Guys Love Dogs
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Camino Beach
  • Shadow Woman
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Embrace the Night (Vampire Romance #1)
  • The Shell Seekers
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wicked White (Wicked White Series Book 1)
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Carnal Secrets (The Phoenix Pack, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Scream For Me: A Novel of the Night Hunter (For Me, #3)
  • When Life Happened
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Cheater (Curious Liaisons, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cheater's Regret (Curious Liaisons, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hunting Grounds (Hidden Sins, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Revenge (Consequence, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Seduction (Consequence #3)
  • The Story of Us
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Consequence of Loving Colton (Consequence, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • No More Masquerade (Secrets of Stone Series Book 2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dunaway's Crossing
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Twisted Truths (Blood Brothers, #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Curse Defiers (The Curse Keepers, #3)
  • The Roommate 'dis'Agreement
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Rules of Regret
  • Cry Baby
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Matchmaking for Beginners
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Hollywood Dirt (Hollywood Dirt, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Threat of Danger (Mission Recovery, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Copenhagen (International Guy #3)