Start by marking “The World's Shortest Stories of Love and Death” as Want to Read:
The World's Shortest Stories of Love and Death

The World's Shortest Stories of Love and Death

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  159 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Building on the enormously successful World's Shortest Stories, here's an all-new collection of super-short fiction-each story a mere 55 words long! With nearly 150 contributors, including Charles Schulz and Fannie Flagg, these stories offer love, betrayal, passion, and death-in less time than it takes to count the words in this blurb!
Published March 22nd 2000 by Running Press Adult (first published February 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The World's Shortest Stories of Love and Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The World's Shortest Stories of Love and Death

Vonia
Apr 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Love in 55 words. Can you do it? Can you define death is 55 words or less?

Not surprisingly, most of us would lean towards a no, but hopefully willing to give it a shot. At the very least, it is challenging. And I can say I know this firsthand.

What I loved about this collection is the ability to see the many different forms and interpretations of these simple instructions. You could call it a form of Art. They would not have been appreciate it as much as stand-alone stories. Most of the power th
C.S. Houghton
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'll keep this under 55 words. Some stories improve when you pare them down until they fit on a Post-It Note. The World's Shortest Stories of Love and Death contains some of those, and they are worth the time you spend sifting through the other contorted exercises in economy and novelty. There, I did it.
Delilah Crespo
Mar 02, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading the challenge writers accepted of writing a short story in only 55 words, no more, no less. There were some really good ones and some okay stories. In general it was interesting to see how people decided to write about the themes Love and Death. My favorite collection of stories within the collection were: Love of Death and Death of Love, yes a bit more macabre but that's my style. I think people should read this series just to see how challenging writing a 55 word story is and ...more
Jodi Green
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
I loved the first book. There were so many clever stories, many of which I am able to use in teaching inferences, predictions, point of view, etc. Unfortunately I didn’t find many stories in this book that made me smile, laugh or think. Many of them just seemed like the authors found themselves to be clever without actually being clever (I saw the same thing in grading 8th grade narratives this week). Hopeful that the next book will be more like the first, and the editors will choose better stor ...more
Alex the Picky Reader
I absolutely enjoyed the depth of these short stories!
I mean, 55-words long and can explain characters, conflict, and outcome? Simply amazing!
The fact that they were so vivid keeps me from closing the book. It makes me thirsty for more.

I would 102% recommend this book. The idea of a 55-word story is truly fascinating thanks, Steve Moss! :)
IAMYONNA.
Apr 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Romane
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
First audiobook I have ever listened to.

A collection of stories told in 55 words. It's pretty good, but I wasn't that stoked. I liked some stories. "All she left were her cookbooks" by Christine Fincke is my personal favorite.

There's a story that was written like; "...going in, was my coming out." I appreciate the LGBT ones so much.

That story about Elvis is funny. "The Fool Who Invented Kiss" is a brilliant one too. I have to say that there are too many Adam and Eve stories *cough* mainstream *
James W.  Harris
Jul 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another excellent collection of 55-word short stories. Yes, short stories -- not poems or jokes or epigrams, but actual stories -- of 55 words or less -- complete with characters, conflict, and resolution. 55 words! That's short enough to fit on the back of a business card.

Not all of these work for me, but many of them do, and some are simply marvels. Many are extremely cleverly conceived and constructed, and some have quite a punch. Fun to read a few at a time over several days. Literary snack
Samantha Grabelle
Though I read it in on sitting, I didn't enjoy this book nearly as much as the first one. When I finished that one, I cut out the "Guitar" story and the artwork and framed them for my husband for Father's Day. It is creepy but so appropriate for us. Turns out that the Preface of the second book is written by the author of that exact story. It was cool to read about the true story that inspired it (and was much less gripping) and how he came to whittle it down to 55 words.
Any Length
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing

A lady reads a book, totally immersed and miles from reality.
Her husband walks in, asks "what's for dinner?".
No answer!
He sees the title of her book and calls for pizza.
Later she joins him between segments of 55 words or less and
smiles at her wise choice of life partner.

Patricia
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Compelling and interesting read. Some of the stories are just heaven in words, they made my mind travel, see and experience love, heartache and adventure.

I might even try to make my own 55 word story...now that will be a challenge!
Laurel L. Perez
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic little collection of stories written with 55 words. Punctuated by titled subsections, it is easy to read for the point. Many were clever, imaginary, and some downright gory, or hilarious. A great quick read, and an exercise in precise writing.
Elizabeth
Apr 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I was wary of the 55 word or less stories, but James read me part of the book and they are quite good. It's amazing how much of a story can unfold in only 55 words.

Probably worth 3.5 stars but not quite good enough to justify 4 stars, so it's getting 3.
Liza Gilbert
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
Some were good, most were completely forgettable. The art was odd and ill-fitting. Sharper illustrations could have made this a more valuable volume.
Erin
Jun 16, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
My new purse book.

*****Very clever idea and a few of the stories are outstanding. And now I'm anxious to try my hand....
Nov 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Thanks, neighbor... here I go :)
Rose
Jun 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I'm not a fan of short stories, but this book, like its predecessor, "The World's Shortest Stories," is a lot of fun. A great premise(each story is told in 55 words), and naturally, a quick read.
Michel
Sep 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: shorts
Bargain Priced at Bones & Marble.
30 word title, 139 stories, 55 words or fewer.
Mixed bag.
No regrets.
Emily
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Listening on audio. Only moderately impressed. Still, inspired to write a 55 word story... a good one.
Amanda
Oct 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was too much fun!
Meen
Dec 01, 2008 marked it as to-read
Recommended to Meen by: ShellBell on Misha's review
Shelves: fiction, la-poesie
I wasn't sure about putting it in the poetry category...
Zabidah Salim
  • 75 Short Masterpieces
  • Chicago Noir
  • 12 Again
  • The Best Small Fictions 2015
  • Five Seasons of Angel: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Vampire
  • HebrewPunk

• Burying the Honeysuckle Girls
  • Ilsa: A Novel
  • Into the Free
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Persian Boy (Alexander the Great, #2)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Get It Together, Delilah!
  • Mademoiselle Chanel
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette (P.S.)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Orphan Master's Son
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Sisters One, Two, Three
    $4.99 $1.99
  • This Is Your Life, Harriet Chance!
    $15.95 $1.99
  • Yellow Star
  • Miramont's Ghost
  • I Am Livia
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Play of Death (The Hangman's Daughter, #6)
  • Requiem for a Dream: A Novel
  • I Don't Know How She Does It: The Life of Kate Reddy, Working Mother
  • The Eagle Tree
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Helen of Sparta (Helen of Sparta #1)
  • The Things That Keep Us Here
  • Halsey Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Woodlands (Glenbrooke, #7)
  • The Knockoff
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Famished Road: A Novel
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Titans (Kent Family Chronicles, #5)
  • Ask Him Why