Start by marking “Winter's Tales” as Want to Read:
Winter's Tales

Jonathan Winters

Winter's Tales

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  146 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The most original and influential comic mind of our generation gives us a rollicking tour of his expansive imagination. Alongside the hilarity are intimate, revealing, and poignant recollections of childhood's pains and lost love, as well as remarkable illustrations from Winters' accomplished, surreal pen.
Audio, 0 pages
Published March 12th 1988 by Random House Audio Publishing Group (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Winter's Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter's Tales

mark monday
oh, Jonathan Winters. you were such a delightful and original presence throughout much of my life, so I'm just going to have to edit my memories and pretend I never tried reading this collection of half-baked stories that go nowhere fast, have nothing to say, and have punchlines that are either so awkward-corny-grandpa or so weakly nihilism-lite that I spent an inordinate amount of time rolling my eyes. and man check out that obnoxious run-on sentence I just wrote, egads how embarrassing.

I'm ama
Alexandra
The first couple of stories are really good but then it goes downhill. Most of the times I was like "What does this story supposed to mean?". It was worth a read, nothing life changing, that's all.
Tex Roop
Dec 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories from an interesting mind. Admittedly some of the stories leave you scratching your head wondering why but most of them just kind of transport you to the other world where the insane is the only thing that seems to make sense.
Diana
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Dark, dark humor and, in my opinion, not that humorous. Disappointing because I really enjoyed Jonathan Winters as a performer.
Tim Ganotis
Odd and mildly dark humor. The stories feel unpolished, like a first draft. All include some sort of twist ending, like a punchline, which feels repetitive and crutch-like in a collection like this. Not bad, but certainly not great either.
Marie Smith
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when it first came out and I didn't appreciate the point of view in most of the stories. I reread it and a lot of them made more sense. Like the author said in one of his stories, we never truly grow up, but rather continue to grow all our lives. So too with our reading.
Ace McGee
Collection of short stories. Read about Four or five. All the stories are about sad people and then really terrible things happen to them.

Not enjoyable. Did not finish.
Shane
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jonathan Winters is one of those artists who avoids brands or labels, even though he's best knows as a comedian. Each short story in this book is as idiosyncratically delightful and unique as the author, and it is one of those books that will have to be reread several times. One of the stories that really stood out was "I Stand Alone" - and I decided to typed it out in order to try to understand it a bit better, so here 'tis (hopefully sans errors):

"I Stand Alone"

Most of my life I was alone --
Julie Barrett
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Winter's Tale by Jonathan Winters
Collection of winter stories that are quite unusual.
Short stories about winter months and related from the comic who made Mork and Mindy.
Liked the dance one and the pheasant hunting with his grandfather the best.
Military ones were quite somber and sad.
Nathan Langford
Had forgotten that I read this book years ago but with his passing, I remembered reading. I agree with many of the comments about some stories as sad and some surreal - but I do remember the book and I do not believe it was a waste of my time to read nor would it be a waste of another person's time to read it.
Brad
Dec 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a bizarre book. There are some terrific stories and more than a couple of duds. Though he is a comedian, the best stories are the sad ones. You can tell this is a man who knew life is both tragedy and comedy.
Ron Cooper
Jonathan Winters is one of all-time fave comedians, a master of brilliant impromptu humor. In this clever and well-written book, there are twists and turns and unexpected endings to nearly every story--just what you would expect of one of our nation's comic treasures.
Shorewalker
A series of short stories and in many cases they were short trips into fantasy land. Some were just "for fun" but others carried a message. As the title says, "Observations for the Unusual" and it certainly was that.
A quick read that one can put up and down
Eyna
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A collection of tales with abrupt endings that may
linger in your head for a while. Credits for Winters'
wild imagination that makes the readers' thoughts wander
-- but some of which, I just find too exaggerated.
Kat
Dec 10, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood_faves
i remember little about this book except the fact that i was really into it back in sixth grade for some reason.
Susan Moore
its so Jonathan Winters! funny, entertaining and sad at times.
Patrick Schultheis
Absolutely, side-splittingly funny
Marsmannix
the world is a sadder place because Jonathan Winters is not here. Granted, his references may be dated, but his whimsical sweet quirky humor is timeless.
Barry
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: humans
Recommended to Barry by: mr winters
funny, sad, touching, brilliant, sometimes all at once.
Ronald
May 07, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
read some time in 1992
Heather
rated it did not like it
Jul 07, 2011
  • Great American Folklore
  • 100 Years, 100 Stories
  • 101 Unuseless Japanese Inventions
  • The Clothes Have No Emperor: A Chronicle of the American '80s
  • The Comedy Bible: From Stand-up to Sitcom--The Comedy Writer's Ultimate "How To" Guide
  • The Twilight Zone Companion
  • Ginseng, the Divine Root: The Curious History of the Plant That Captivated the World
  • You Gotta Play Hurt
  • Long-Distance Hiking: Lessons from the Appalachian Trail
  • Writer's Digest Handbook of Magazine Article Writing
  • The Herbal Home Remedy Book: Simple Recipes for Tinctures, Teas, Salves, Tonics, and Syrups
  • Writing a Woman's Life
  • Your Face Never Lies: What Your Face Reveals about You and Your Health, an Introduction to Oriental Diagnosis
  • Living on the Ragged Edge: Finding Joy in a World Gone Mad