Start by marking “Pure Pajamas” as Want to Read:
Pure Pajamas

Pure Pajamas

IMMERSE YOURSELF IN THE HUMOROUS, FRENETIC WORLD OF NONSENSICAL WORDPLAY AND TALKING HOT DOGS

Pure Pajamas collects Marc Bell's best material from his syndicated weekly comic strip for the Montreal Mirror and the Halifax Coast, as well as a host of anthologies such as Kramers Ergot, Expo, Maow Maow, and more, featuring his recurring characters Kevin, Ol' Simp, Chia-Man, Mr.
Published September 27th 2011 by Drawn and Quarterly

To ask other readers questions about Pure Pajamas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pure Pajamas

Jan Philipzig
Free-Floating Fluffiness

Heavily influenced by Robert Crumb and Julie Doucet, Marc Bell’s artwork caught my eye when I came across Pure Pajamas in the bargain section of a bookstore. Looks pretty good for the price, I thought, and Drawn & Quarterly tends to be a reliable publisher… – I am getting this! Well, looks can be deceiving. As it turns out, there is one major problem with Pure Pajamas: Unlike his heroes Crumb and Doucet, Marc Bell does not really have anything to say.

Oddly enough, thi
Jeffrey
Oct 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A nice little collection of some old out of print Marc Bell comics, including some great autobiographical (seemingly) shorts. As always, Marc's comics are good for reading, but also for staring at for hours catching all the things you missed the first time you read them.
David Schaafsma
Apr 26, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: alt-comics
Crumb lite. This collection is an array of stuff from a variety of sources to help you see the range of ideas he has. And visually much of it looks like it riffs off Crumb but lacks his edge and ire. Which for people who dislike those aspects of Crumb and are offended or put off by him. . . well, I guess this might be a better Crumb for you. And there is some offense to be had here, too, in places. But it's less interesting stuff. And part of it is that he doesn't seem to be commenting on anythi ...more
P.
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I had the pleasure of seeing Marc Bell speak some months back, so for some of these strips I could recall his narration--there's something extra funny about someone reading a comic aloud, because there's so much visually going on (especially in a Marc Bell comic)--and that gave it an extra layer of enjoyment.

Because this is a collection of strips it took me longer than usual to read the book, and I also appreciate that. I always _want_ to slow down when I'm reading graphically and I'm not always
Jeff
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Pure Pajamas is a great collection of fun items from the always inventive Marc Bell. This volume is a good contrast to his recent Hot Potatoe book, which focused more on the high-falutin' end of his "artwork", where the present volume collects pieces that are more in the vein of traditional comics. Taken together, both books present an excellent mid-career snapshot of an artist who is doing great things in the field of comic art.
Jen Jones
May 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Liked the drawing style. The writing was a little stoner-frenetic at times. Best part for me was the comic re: Bell's and his girlfriend's dreams.
Tommy
Apr 30, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoy Marc Bell's artwork most when it's jumbled full of weird details and funky characters doing and saying obtuse things. It's like his own very skewed reality that bears only a passing resemblance to ours. I enjoyed this collection of his works, but some parts of it were less enthralling to me than others. I don't like when he illustrates other people's song lyrics, even though I get what he's trying to do. I'd rather have him use his own words. And sometimes when there's too much of a "plo ...more
Matthew
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adult, indie-comics, humor
First thing I've read by Marc Bell and after reading this I'd really like to explore more. On surface, his humor and jokes seems really obvious. But his pieces work in layers, packing tons of visual puns and jabs into every panel. He's a real master and anyone who holds a love for alternative comics should be reading his work.

Drawn  And Quarterly
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Bell has a gift for incomprehensible gab, juggling a dozen language gags in complicated comic pages that, like Ulysses, could take you twenty-four hours or a lifetime to read."-Lee Henderson BORDER CROSSINGS
Peter Thompson
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is a book for reading while you eat waffles. Piles of waffles. So many waffles. All the waffles in the universe.
Sep 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
read it with waffles. get the pages sticky.
Daniel Rowe
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Quirky and funny journey into the (at times) perhaps demented mind of a talented illustrator and writer. Very fun first taste of Marc Bell.
Mike
Nov 20, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: comic
I'll take Tony Millionaire any day over whatever this was supposed to be. I may have liked this strips one at a time in the local alt-weekly, but as a collection it was unbearable.
Fushuai "Black"