Start by marking “Mean High Tide” as Want to Read:
Mean High Tide

Mean High Tide (Thorn Mystery #3)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  669 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Beneath the still blue waters off  Key Largo a woman dives into a dazzling array of  color. But behind the shimmering schools of fish,  somewhere in the shadows of the reef, a death trap  awaits. In minutes one life will be expertly,  brutally taken, and another plunged into a mean season  of fury, obsession, and revenge... His name is  Thorn, his world is mangrove islands ...more
Published March 1st 1994 by Delacorte Press (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Mean High Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mean High Tide

False
Thorn is obviously a protagonist who keeps "losing" women--through relationship spinout or death. Why breed red tilapia fish? You're about to learn, with the usual cast of low rent girls, over the hill Mommas and your usual psychopath or two.
Nancy M Davis
Sep 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Clever and engaging

A most unusual mystery, written by an author who really knows the Florida keys. I'm moving to the next one...
If you like Florida, read "A Land Remembered" True Florida.
Jayne  P.  Loff
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Big fish

Stories of mutation new fish anthe feeding og of the world mixws with ways to make itvrich along with killing
Micah Konyha
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have read in a while, the suspense was great and the author did great with character development.
Jonathan
Mean High Tide is the 3rd book in James Hall's Thorn series. Thorn is a bit of a Florida beach bum who gets involved with odd mysteries and is forced into action, usually quite violent.

In Mean High Tide, Thorn is just enjoying life with Darcy Richards, an old high school chum who has suddenly become so much more (see book 2, Tropical Freeze). But then, as is wont to happen in these, some bad things come down and he is forced to seek revenge. This time, the case surrounds the race to create the f
Ed
#3 in the Thorn series. I missed this 1994 series entry en route to the current entry #12 - Dead Last (2012). Having gone back and read it out of sequence, it seems like a period piece and not as satisfying as a current addition to the saga.

Thorn series - Darcy Richards dies in a mysterious diving accident after asking Thorn if he's ever heard of red tilapia. When he discovers that Darcy was murdered, Thorn vows revenge. Following a bullet-dodging introduction to Sylvie, the sociopathic daughter
Barry
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A stifling, murderous and fishy atmosphere. Speaks volumes about why some fish are successful in restaurants and others aren't--even though they taste good. Although many characters were drawn roughly around the edges, the author makes up for this with his three-dimensional villains and the mindset of the main protagonist.
Matt
Jan 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun thriller/mystery. A basic story: some killings, a basic plot, a couple of old friends solve the mystery and save the day. A few twists here and there, interesting subplot involving the means of the villain to extract his revenge.

Thorn and Sugarman are fun characters to follow along with.

Carolyn (in SC) C234D
I like James W. Hall's novels very much, and Thorn is a good character. The only thing I would criticize in this story is the villain--just a bit too all-powerful for me. When the bad guys are too bad and get all the breaks consistently, it's a bit of a negative for me, and it happens fairly often in this genre. Would have been four stars but for this.
Joe Marshall
Well, I'm really reading a Kindle edition, which I can't find listed here. Good summer reading. However, it never ceases to amaze me how much people in novels like this can fight after serious injuries.
George Chalmers
Hall's 3rd book in the Thorn series had pretty scattered premise. Thankfully, he tied the loose ends towards the end of the story. I liked "Tropical Freeze", book #2, better, but this one was better than #1.
Peter Fiske
Feb 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, suspense
This takes place 2 yrs. after Tropical Freeze. Thorn is now living with former weather girl Darcy Richards, the younger sister of his late boyhood friend Gaeton. Things happen and Thorn goes on a tear. J.W. Hall keeps writing good books.
Eric Orkin
Maybe the least likely plot line of the four Thorn books I have read. Enjoyed it, but found myself ready to move on before it ended.
Marge
Mar 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third in the Thorn series. The books make me think of Jack Reacher living in the Keys. This latest one involves red tilapia--scary scenario.
Janet Martin
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harsher view of the Florida Keys than the average tourist might expect. Fast paced, great characters and filled with a rich view of a wonderful place
Joan
Jul 22, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mean High Tide was a pretty good read. Hall's novels are more interesting to me for the author's style than for the plots.
Robert Colquhoun
If I could, I would give it a 3+. An entertaining page turner.
Frank Wilem
Apr 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book. I enjoy most of his work and really liked this one.
Toesnorth's mom
good but explicit
Anthony Kufner
signed
Jill Black
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
They keep getting better. I was worried at first, but the more he writes, the better the storylines get.
Daniel
Jun 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
One of my favorites in the Thorn series...
Joe O'Connor
Very Good; continuing character: Thorn. After his girlfriend is killed, Thorn traces her last few months, finding a conspiracy realted to fish farming and a family of crazies.
Carol
Nov 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Suspenseful read set in Florida. The threat of Tilapia fish getting free in the native waters. Gets you thinking.
Andrew Carter
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great story. I like Thorne.
David
Jul 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is starting out pretty good. I love books that take place in the Florida Keys.
Ricardo
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was okay but the plot was not believable and the writing was at time too slow, almost boring
Jim Angstadt
Mar 26, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cardboard characters, totally unbelievable plot, marginal setting, why, oh why, did I spend too much time with this junk?
Frederick
Good book. Good writing. James W. Hall tells a good story. Great action and wild characters, I was well entertained.
Mark
May 11, 2013
  • A Visible Darkness (Max Freeman, #2)
  • Virgin Heat (Key West, #5)
  • Air Dance Iguana
  • Key Weird
  • Ten Thousand Islands

James Wilson Hall is an Edgar and Shamus Award-winning author whose books have been translated into a dozen languages. He has written eighteen novels, four books of poetry, a collection of short stories, and a collection of He also won a John D. MacDonald Award for Excelle
More about James W. Hall...

Thorn Mystery (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Under Cover of Daylight (Thorn, #1)
  • Tropical Freeze (Thorn, #2)
  • Gone Wild (Thorn, #4)
  • Buzz Cut (Thorn, #5)
  • Red Sky at Night (Thorn, #6)
  • Blackwater Sound (Thorn, #7)
  • Off the Chart (Thorn, #8)
  • Magic City (Thorn, #9)
  • Hell's Bay (Thorn, #10)
  • Silencer (Thorn, #11)