Start by marking “Pollyanna (Pollyanna, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pollyanna (Pollyanna, #1)

Pollyanna (Pollyanna #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  68,313 Ratings  ·  1,637 Reviews
A miraculous story about the power of optimism.

When an orphaned Pollyanna moves in with her maiden aunt, she transforms the lives of everyone she meets with her optimism. She uses the "glad game" her father taught her to appreciate what she has - until one day something so terrible happens that even Pollyanna doesn't know how to feel glad about it.
Paperback, Complete and Unabridged, 288 pages
Published October 27th 1994 by Puffin Classics (first published 1912)

To ask other readers questions about Pollyanna, please sign up.
Munch Absolutely not! Pollyanna definitely isn't my favourite character but she's cute, sweet, and kind.

Ingela
Written April 2, 2015

4.2 Stars - Enchanting sweet, loved every single minute

A classics girl-novel by Eleanor H. Porter (1868-1920) from 1913.

I've been listening to this fantastic $1 audiobook (5:40 hrs - very well) narrated by Rebecca Burns these two last day. Oddly enough, I think I might like this young-girl book even more now as an grownup than as a girl long ago. These characters and especially this sweet sunshine girl Pollyanna made me just smiling in nearly six hours. Absolutely charming
Willow
Pollyanna is the story of a young, optimistic girl who is tragically orphaned, sent to live with her grumpy Aunt, and ends up changing a town’s point of view through her sunny disposition. It's supposed to be inspiring. In fact, it’s probably the idea bud for books like The Power of Positive Thinking.

Pollyanna, the eternal optimist, plays the ‘glad game’ where she always tries to find something to be glad about, no matter how challenging. Also, everyone who comes into contact with Pollyanna is h
Majenta
Jul 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eu estava TAO FELIZ de encontrar e leer isso! (Nao, na verdade, eu estava.)
Kristina Horner
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up because I needed "a book over 100 years old" for my reading challenge this year, and being written in 1913 (making it currently 102 years old) it just fit the bill.

I didn't really go into this book with any expectations. I've never seen the movie, I knew nothing of the plot, but I was intrigued to read a book written for young readers so long ago.

I am happy to report that this book was delightful. I was smiling the whole time I read it, and was surprised and impressed how m
Tiffany
Wow! What have I been missing all these years! As a child I grew up on the Disney movie of "Pollyanna" and thought it was just wonderful. I was never introduced to the "classics" or even realized that Pollyanna was a book turned into a movie. When I sat down with my chidlren to read this story I THOUGHT I knew what I was reading to them, but boy was I wrong!! It soon became apparent that this was another true o the test of time classics that takes you through all the emotions of a true clssic! M ...more
Helen
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Helen by: my Mom
Pollyanna, read when I was in elementary school, is one of the books that helped to form my character. The concept of looking for the good in everything, even in events or people that showed no obvious goodness appeared, to my young mind, both a good idea and a challenge. First in imitation and later as habit I began to "look for the good."

Recently I received a copy of a college application essay a young friend had written about me, an influential person in her life. The characteristic in me
Carol
Nov 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
My teen daughter and I read this on the way to a soccer tournament and it was a great conversation starter on so many topics - one's approach to life and "bad" events or circumstances, communication styles, charitable endeavors, gender roles, and on and on. I'm sorry I didn't pick up Pollyanna until now, but enjoyed it immensely and was glad to have read it and finished it right before Thanksgiving! (pun intended)
Allison Tebo
Feb 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Absolutely lovely! Such a sweet book. Highly recommended!
Aggeliki
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Δεν θυμάμαι πολλά, αλλά θυμάμαι να είχα περάσει καλά κάπου στην ηλικία των 11 (νομίζω) διαβάζοντας Πολυάννα. Το 4 μπαίνει λόγω όμορφης ανάμνησης (σε αυτό και στα υπόλοιπα της ιδίας).
Minh Nhân Nguyễn
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, keep
4 sao

Pollyanna co môt hoan canh rât giông Heidi, ma quyển Heidi thi minh thich vô cung, nên khi đoc bôi canh truyên không đươc phong khoang như vây va cô be Pollyanna không giông minh mong đơi ban đâu nên cung kha la thât vong.

Tuy nhiên khi đa đi đươc nưa quyên sach rôi, năm băt đươc chu đê quyên sach hương đên thi se thây no rât hay va hâp dân. Truyện không chi thanh công trong viêc tao ra nhưng nhân vât be nho đang yêu như cac truyên thiêu nhi khac, mà con hay ơ chô no ân chưa môt thông điêp t
Carrie
Mar 31, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of classic children's literature
Shelves: kidlit
When did I first read Pollyanna? I couldn't say. This little book is a perennial favorite. It's been a few years since I picked it up and this time I found that my memory had deceived me again. What you remember is a story about a girl who wants everyone to be glad, and who gets a happy ending at last. What you get is a story about an orphaned girl sent to a loveless home who reaches out to the troubled people of a small town, resulting in a wide variety of pathetic tales of woe and loss. Pollya ...more
Sandra Bašić
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slatka draga Pollyanna! To je djevojčica koja uvijek u sebi i u drugima može pronaći nešto zbog čega će joj "biti drago". Svi bismo se trebali povesti za njenim primjerom. Jer za Pollyannu "disati ne znači živjeti". U životu treba učiniti puno više.

Hvala Sanja, što si mi ovu krasnu knjigicu posudila na čitanje!
Kristie
Such a sweet story. I really enjoyed this one.
Cass
Dec 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has taken me a while to get to this book, I distinctly remember watching the movie several times as a child.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. It comes with a very strong message, and even some marital advice!!

Pollyanna is terribly good. Her ability to play the game of always being so nice, her absolute charm is almost of the Mary Sue type character.

However as a lesson, the book is wonderful, it is a gentle reminder that a lot more can be gained by being gracious, nice, etc then by being horrible.
Ellen Hamilton
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am so _GLAD_ I read this! Anyone who read the book will understand the emphasis on "glad".😂 This book was really good. It makes you laugh and cry, and also think about the different things you yourself can be glad about. It is a gift to be able to see or find the positive side of things, especially when you're down on your luck.

My first thoughts were: Nancy iso funny and loveable, and Old Tom's got a good sense of humour, according to this: "Why don't ye tell me the sun is a-goin' ter set in t
Angie Thompson
It's terrible to admit, but this may be the first time I've ever read Pollyanna straight through (although I've definitely read it in bits and pieces). I feel like people sometimes associate Pollyanna with syrupy sweet, too-good-for-this-world cheerfulness, but she's so much better than that! She's such a real little girl--talking too fast and too much, mixing her thoughts up delightfully, and sometimes being painfully blunt and observant, although of course she never intends to cause pain. Even ...more
Sheila
Sep 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a great story. I love Pollyanna's attitude, her glad game, and her outlook on all things. I would love to know this girl. I would love to be this girl.

I read this aloud to my daughter and she greatly enjoyed the story as well. Now we will move on to Pollyanna Grows Up and see if we enjoy that one as well.
Aleeda
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
After reading the Hunger Games trilogy, followed by somber nonfiction, I felt ready to read something good. Not good as in well-reviewed literature, but something good as in 'happy' literature. Eleanor Porter's Pollyanna did not disappoint.

You've probably heard someone called, been called, or possibly (hopefully not) called someone a Pollyanna. It's someone who is considered impossibly optimistic in the worst possible circumstances. Such people are thought to be annoying, naive, even exasperatin
Klaudyna Maciąg
Książka, która ani trochę się nie zestarzała - wciąż dostarcza mi takiej radości, jak w dzieciństwie.

Wydanie ze słownikiem bardzo ciekawe, można połączyć przyjemne z pożytecznym.

Więcej we wpisie: http://www.kreatywa.net/2017/01/polly...
Loraine
Jan 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pollyanna gets a bad rap in this jaded age. Written in 1913, this is the story of an orphaned little girl who makes the best of her life experiences, always looking for something good to be had of a challenging situation. Pollyanna lost her mother at an early age, and then her missionary father a few years later. As a family, they themselves lived a life of privation, while ministering to those less well off.

Upon the death of her father, Pollyanna is sent to live with her Aunt Polly, who--as she
Jennie
Apr 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I have clearly lived under a rock (not that this is news). I have heard my mom reference Pollyanna about a million times but until a couple of weeks ago didn't realize she was a book character. I'm not sure where I thought my mom (and others) got that name, but I'm not too swift on the uptake.

I really wanted to hate this book, and frankly there are things to hate. But its impossible to hate it as a whole. It's overly simplistic, ridiculously sweet and still touching. I think you'd have to be de
Paula Vince
This book deserves its position as a children's classic.

The little orphan girl, Pollyanna, is sent to live with her gruff Aunt Polly after the death of her father. What a potential set-up for a sad life outlook, but she manages to transform not only her aunt but many other townspeople with the 'Glad Game' her father taught her. Always look for the silver lining in every cloud and you'll be bound to find it.

I've noticed Pollyanna has been given a bit of a bum rap in recent years. She's almost alw
Linda Lipko
There are many classics that I did not read as a child. Treasure Island, Frankenstein, Robinson Crusoe, Around the World in 80 Days, and Little Women are but a few.

However, I vow to systematically read these treasures in the next few months. Today I read Pollyanna.

Published in 1913, this gem stands the test of time. It is delightfully sappy, corny and wonderfully filled with old fashioned fun.

Pollyanna is an orphan whose father left her with the wonderful gift of optimism and the ability to find
Yona
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, favorites
I loved the movie and i can't wait to read the book.

I loved loved this book. It was so beautifully written. There were moments when I just wanted to cry from happiness. The way Pollyanna touched everyone she met was amazing.

There isn't anything better than smiling so much after finishing a book.

description

When I feel bad or sad this will be the book I'm going to read to feel better.
Chicco Padovan
Pollyanna Whittier: ovvero, storia di una piccola santa della letteratura infantile, resa martire per mancanza d’immaginazione dell’autrice e salvata in extremis con prevedibile miracolo finale.
La cosa irritante di questo libro non è tanto la protagonista, che in fondo è solo una bambina scema. Il vero dramma sono gli adulti, tutti pronti ad abboccare a questo suo benedetto gioco della contentezza. Salva perfino una mezza prostituta! Cristo con la Maddalena in confronto è ’na schiappa.
Capisco il
Rafael Meirelles
It was the very first BOOk that I read. At 9 years old. I don't remember it very well, and it took like AGES to finish it. And probably I didn't like it, because it was an obligation, BUT.. it opened the doors to this very world that I just adore, nowadays. So, it's a 5 stars ;)
Marina Ponomaryova
Мілашні книги для дітей теж дарують радість
Oziel Bispo
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vamos brincar amigos "do jogo do contente", onde fica combinado que veremos beleza e coisas boas em tudo, mesmo que sejam coisas que não nos pareça boas, mas que irá nos ensinar a dar valor nas coisas que temos!!!
Sandy
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-kindle
The concept of the “Glad Game” was actually interesting to me when I started reading this novella. And really at some points during my everyday life I found myself “playing the game”, and it did help sometimes, to my surprise. However I did have a problem with the comparisons that Pollyanna used throughout the story. I am against comparing oneself to others as I see it the ultimate cause of unhappiness. If the author had dealt with this point better I believe it would have been a better book in ...more
  • Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm
  • What Katy Did Next (Carr Family, #3)
  • Five Little Peppers and How They Grew
  • Freckles (Limberlost #1)
  • Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown (Betsy-Tacy, #4)
  • Jane of Lantern Hill
  • Hans Brinker, or the Silver Skates
  • Little Lord Fauntleroy
  • An Old-Fashioned Girl
  • Heidi's Children (Heidi sequel, #3)
  • Blue Willow
  • The Railway Children
  • The School at the Chalet (The Chalet School, #1)
  • Little Town on the Prairie  (Little House, #7)
  • The Borrowers Afield (The Borrowers #2)
Eleanor Emily Hodgman Porter (December 19, 1868 – May 21, 1920) was an American novelist.She was born as Eleanor Emily Hodgman in Littleton, New Hampshire on December 19, 1868, the daughter of Llewella French (née Woolson) and Francis Fletcher Hodgman. She was trained as a singer, attending New England Conservatory for several years. In 1892, she married John Lyman Porter and relocated to Massachu ...more

Pollyanna (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Pollyanna Grows Up (Pollyanna #2)
  • Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms (Pollyanna, #3)
  • Pollyanna's Jewels (Pollyanna, #4)
  • Pollyanna's Debt of Honor (Pollyanna, #5)
  • Pollyanna's Western Adventure (Pollyanna, #6)
  • Pollyanna in Hollywood
  • Pollyanna's Castle in Mexico
  • Pollyanna's Door to Happiness
  • Pollyanna's Golden Horseshoe
  • Pollyanna's Protegee (Pollyanna, #11)

Fiction Deals

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • The Man He Never Was: A Modern Reimagining of Jekyll and Hyde
  • The Bookshop
  • I Hate Everyone But You
  • With Shuddering Fall
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • 223 Orchard Street
  • No One Is Coming to Save Us
  • Brief Encounters with Che Guevara: Stories
    $9.24 $1.99
  • Small Great Things
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Archer's Tale (The Grail Quest, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Glittering Images (Starbridge, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreaming in Cuban
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Hush (Just This Once, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Anywhere but Here (Vintage Contemporaries)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Sweet By and By
    $9.74 $1.99
  • George
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hangman's Curse (Veritas Project, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
“What men and women need is encouragement. Their natural resisting powers should be strengthened, not weakened ... Instead of always harping on a man's faults, tell him of his virtues. Try to pull him out of his rut ... Hold up to him his better self, his real self that can dare and do and win out! ... People radiate what is in their minds and in their hearts.” 114 likes
“Just breathing isn't living!” 104 likes