Start by marking “Shadow Music (Highlands' Lairds, #3)” as Want to Read:
Shadow Music (Highlands' Lairds, #3)

Shadow Music

(Highlands' Lairds #3)

For Princess Gabrielle of St. Biel, Scotland is a land of stunning vistas, wild chieftains, treacherous glens, and steep shadows--skullduggery, betrayal, and now murder. Prized for her exquisite beauty, the daughter of one of England's most influential barons, Gabrielle is also a perfect bargaining chip for a king who needs peace in the Highlands: King John has arranged Ga ...more
Published December 26th 2007 by Ballantine Books

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession

I liked this one okay but it was a little bit busy. Everyone and their cousin was in this book and it was trying to keep up with all the names. Other than the fact that it was a bit of a hot mess it was still an entertaining read.
Jilly
Mar 16, 2017 rated it liked it
It starts out with a story about a kingdom that gets a ton of gold and then it disappears. The question has always been whether or not the gold went to the Pope, or if only some was sent and the rest hidden. So, it's the mysterious treasure that people have been trying to find for ages.

It'll take you about 10 minutes to figure out this treasure mystery. It took them until the last page of the book.

Good luck finding me, suckers!

This story had a lot going on. There was a bunch of politics, side st
LibraryLass
May 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
3.5 stars for this one. I actually enjoyed this book for the most part. I think it was because after reading so many negative reviews my expectations were extremely low. So maybe others were disappointed after having high expectations. Yes it is great to see Garwood doing a historical again., but there were missing elements to the story. It was 'likeable' Although Colm and Gabriel as individuals were great, there connection took a long while in the book. The sex was non-existant for 3/4 of the b ...more
Misfit
Aug 20, 2008 rated it did not like it
In this sequel of sorts to Garwood's Ransom, Princess Gabrielle of St. Biel, a daughter of an English Baron, is sent by King John to marry an older highland Laird to keep peace between the borders (??!! more on this later). Two of John's scheming Barons with their nefarious (and ridiculous) schemes get involved and Gabrielle's intended is murdered, she is disgraced as a wanton woman and disinherited and banned from England (this from one woman accusing her of entering a wounded man's bedroom??). ...more
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

I have to say, while I liked the book, I didn't love it. It was a tad disappointing having just read the other 2 books in this series as well as the 2 books from Laird's Fiancees.

It could have been excellent, but there were too many people to keep track of and surprisingly, the storyline/plot was weak. I didn't get drawn into the Highland world as I did in Garwood's previous books, and did not feel the connection with the characters as I did in the past.

Both the H/H were ... weak, in my opinion
Robin
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Princess Gabrielle of St. Biel travels to Scotland with her guard to marry a highlander. King John has arranged Gabrielle's marriage in hopes it will facilitate peace in the Highlands. As Gabrielle and her party cut through the woods, they stumble upon a badly beaten man who is about to be buried alive. Gabrielle stops the whole process with her bow, saving the man's life.

This is the third book in Julie Garwood's Highland Lairds series. As with the previous books in the series, the hero is the
Gi's Spot Reviews
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
JG never disappoints! Even if not as focused on the romance as usual for JG, I still loved it and devoured it in almost one sitting!
Kübra  Yağmur Aslanhan
Julie, kitabı serinin diğerlerinde olduğu gibi biraz daha uzun yazıp karakterlerin arasındaki ilişkiye de değinseymiş keşke. Çünkü o kadar çok olay vardı ki bunlardan Colm ve Gabrielle’ye vakit kalmamıştı kitabın içinde. Aralarındaki aşkı hissedemeyeceğim kadar hızlı gelişti ilişkileri maalesef.
description“Colm ona altı ay verdin.”
Colm uysal bir şekilde yanıt verdi: “Gabrielle’nin istediği buysa razı olurum.”
Brodick ve Liam güldü.
“Bu kadar uzun dayanabileceğini mi sanıyorsun? Neredeyse benim karım kadar g
Arlene
Oct 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
After going through an extensive paranormal book reading fest, I felt it was time to dive into something different, and I decided on a historical fiction novel by Julie Garwood. I’ve enjoyed a few of her books in the past and have found her light and somewhat mischievous writing is the perfect antidote to a brain that has been on vamp!re cr@ck for months.

Unfortunately, I was quite disappointed in this novel and surprised at how far she veered from her normally formulaic and predictable plots an
Brandi
Aug 13, 2015 rated it liked it

Welcome to The Book Geek's monthly feature, affectionately called The Genre Spotlight. It's where we explore and choose one of the myriad genres. We'll showcase it by having each Book Geek read and review at least one, but possibly a few books belonging to that month's chosen genre.

We're hoping to expand our reading horizons to genre’s we haven’t or have barely read, and, hopefully, usher in gems our lives have been missing out on.

For sizzling August, our spotlight is on Romance.
Recently I re
J. Kahele
Great series

I enjoyed the first two in this series but this one was a bit all over the place. I really enjoy this authors writing but this book didn't have the engaging plot or steak the others did. It was an okay read
Sharon
This definitely is not remotely as good as either of the first two books.

Here are some of my thoughts:
• Gabrielle is not a bad character. She is a bit annoying at times, but I don’t hate her. She is definitely more passive and less remarkable than the heroines from the 1st 2 books. I know I shouldn’t compare but it is really hard not to when both heroines set the bar so fuckin’ high. I really was hoping I would love the heroine as well.
• And I also don’t hate or dislike Colm. He is cool, but he
Laurie
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
There is nothing like an Old School Julie Garwood when you are in the mood for a historical comfort read.
Patti TheLoveJunkee
Jan 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Looking back on this review 6 years later, this must have been one of my first reviews because...SPOILERS AHOY! But it's been so long I dont' know what to cut out. So be warned. SPOILERS.

I picked up Shadow Music because I'd recently read The Bride and loved it. I figured I'd like this one too (plus, the cover was safe, no half nekkid people in a scandalous embrace on it). This was a great story. I think I have a soft spot for Highlanders, or maybe forced marriages, or ladies whose reputations ha
Tina
Mar 08, 2008 rated it did not like it
When I closed this book, I asked myself "What the hell did I just read?"

I have not enjoyed Julie Garwood's foray into contemporary romantic suspense. Not at all. So when I saw that she was not only returning to her historical romance roots but also to her favored setting in Scotland, I was thrilled.

This was the same woman who has written The Bride and The Secret and so many other funny, warm, poignant romances with great alpha heroes and quirky fun heroines. I have read and re-read all of her ea
Aybəniz Əzimova
Apr 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tarihi-aşk
Colm'un davranışlarındaki anormalliğe gelin lütfen. Yorumum aslleyla.blogspot.com ve ya asliseymen.blogspot.com adreslerinde. :)
La Bruja Lectora (Tata)
Excelente libro, muy bien escrito, me encanto que Gabrielle no es la clásica princesa, es una mujer valiente y muy segura de si misma, se podría decir que con temple de acero, Colm es un hombre bastante testarudo y tosco que lo único que necesitaba era alguien que lo enseñara a amar, juntos crearan el mejor clan de toda las Highlands, adore a los soldados de San Biel los cuatro son perfectos en todo sentido.

Liam y el padre Gelroy eran el complemento perfecto para aderezar la historia, en resumen
Zeek
Oct 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Written in 2007 LG went back to her historical romance roots with Shadow Music after already transitioning to romantic suspense.

I had a feeling while reading this it sorta was setting up a novel with a modern setting to come later but I could be wrong- still, it held my interest to read it fairly fast. I couldnt' shake the feeling, however, that Shadow Music felt more of a homage to her older novels- or worse, a bone thrown to her former fans.

In Shadow Music we get the story of the beautiful Lad
FlibBityFLooB
Before starting this book, I had read some reviews that made it out to be a horrific Julie Garwood novel. In truth, I didn't think it was that bad. Maybe because I was expecting such a stinker going in?? I actually enjoyed the story :)

True, it wasn't as epic of a romance as her other Highlander books. And, once again, the title doesn't really match the book. I think that I would have named this book As You Say instead of Shadow Music. What shadow? What music? I don't get it. Weird title.

The boo
Zoe
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven’t read a book in a long while. Nothing in the market interested me. I returned to reading by accident today and happened upon Julie Garwood’s Shadow Music. It is kind of a follow-up story to her early highland historicals, with Brodick doing quite a bit of cameo in this book. Other old characters were mentioned but didn’t show. Garwood’s highland historicals have a distinct style where all the males are rude brutes and the females are slightly idiotic with their innocence. Colm in this b ...more
Soany
Durante el 70% leído de este libro estuve esperando un romance que nunca llegó. Luego el resto la autora metió una atracción y deseo fuerte que no vi de donde vino y lo encontré apresurado y poco creíble porque los protagonistas no se conocían verdaderamente, no hubo diálogos de ellos hablando de ellos o su pasado y así llegándose a conocer.
La trama fue aburrida no hubo mucho argumento como en las demás novelas, poca acción que me costaba mantener mi interés y seguir leyendo.
Lo único que me divi
Kusanagi
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Ok je n'avais pas spécialement sommeil mais je me suis couchée à 5 heures du matin pour finir ce livre....
jai vraiment beaucoip aimé non seulement la relation Gabrielle / Colm, mais aussi la façon dont le récit se déroule....avec une première partie plus centrée sur Lady Gabrielle et ses problèmes et ensuite la vie dans le clan....sans enlèvements ou autre péripéties finales pour réunir nos héros (enfin si y'en à une sur les 4 dernières page mais elle sert plus à conclure le destin d'un des méch
Anna
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
If you like Julie Garwood, you'll like "Shadow Music", but you won't be challenged or surprised by any of the events in this book, set in 13th century England and Scotland.
kookyquinn
I almost didn't read this because I'd seen a couple reviews saying it was terrible. Luckily I decided to read it -mostly because I'd read and loved the first two- and I'm so so glad I did.

Like most Garwood books the blurb doesn't do it justice. Her characters are fun, there's lots of action and swoony romance.
Öykü Coşkun
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Çok güzeldi ya. Başlarda sanki Liam ve Gabrielle'in evlenmeleri gerekiyormuş gibi gelmişti. Ama yok kesinlikle Colm daha iyi. Bayılıyorum şu İskoç savaşçılara.
Alicia Esparza
Que puedo decir una de mis escritoras favoritas pero no su mejor libro, siento que le falto amor... solo una escena me senti robada.
Tetty Marlinda
#7 - 2019 RC
Genre: Historical Romance
Holly Full Moon Bites Book Reviews
May have slight spoilers.

Shadow Music is the third and as far as I know finale novel in Julie Garwood’s Highlands' Lairds series, again though it is always possible she may come back to it.

In this novel we meet Princess Gabrielle of St. Biel and Laird Colm MacHugh.

They meet though Liam, Colm’s brother, in a way, as Lady Gabrielle came across and saved him while on her way to marry another Laird in the Highlands.

Colm, a feared and powerful Laird, looking for his brother receives news that he is
RNOCEAN
Jul 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Throughout her acclaimed writing career, Julie Garwood has captivated readers with characters who are compelling, daring, and bursting with life. Now one of the most popular novelists of our time proudly returns to her beloved historical romance roots–in a thrilling tale of love, murder, adventure, and mystery set against the haunting landscape of medieval Scotland.
For Princess Gabrielle of St. Biel, Scotland is a land of stunning vistas, wild chieftains, treacherous glens, and steep shadows–sku
Mansfield Public ...: Shadow Music Review 1 15 Jun 26, 2013 07:08AM
Let's Talk About ...: Shadow Music (Highlands' Lairds #3) 1 10 Apr 08, 2013 01:18PM
  • Tamed by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #3)
  • How to Abduct a Highland Lord (MacLean Curse, #1)
  • Taming the Scotsman (Brotherhood of the Sword #4/MacAllister, #3)
  • The Devil Wears Plaid
  • The Chieftain (The Return of the Highlanders, #4)
  • Rake with a Frozen Heart
  • The Ranger (Highland Guard, #3)
  • A Gentle Feuding
  • Sheikh's Desert Duty (The Chatsfield, Series Two, #1)
With more than 35 million books in print and 26 NEW YORK TIMES bestsellers, Julie Garwood has earned a position among America's favorite fiction writers.

Born and raised in Kansas City, MO, Ms. Garwood attributes much of her success to growing up in a large family of Irish heritage. "The Irish are great storytellers who relish getting all of the details and nuances of every situation. Add in the fa

Highlands' Lairds (3 books)
  • The Secret (Highlands' Lairds #1)
  • Ransom (Highlands' Lairds, #2)
“Gabrielle turned to Colm. “These men will be of interest to you.”
Colm looked them over. “Why is that?” he asked.
With her back to the infidels, she whispered, “They like to dig holes.”
17 likes
“She was bringing Laird Ramsey Sinclair’s brother home to him,” he replied.” 0 likes