Start by marking “Heft on Wheels: A Field Guide to Doing a 180” as Want to Read:
Heft on Wheels: A Field Guide to Doing a 180

Heft on Wheels: A Field Guide to Doing a 180

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  439 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Heft On Wheels (Hardcover)
Published June 15th 2004 by Harmony (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Heft on Wheels, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heft on Wheels

Caroline
Apr 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers, Partiers, Cyclists
This is really different from most of Magnusun's writing--it's a memoir (not exactly a "guide") about his transformation from one obsession (booze & food) to another (cycling). This is an easy, quick read, nevertheless thoughtful, witty, compelling and totally fasinating. I don't think you'll find yourself highlighting any particularly "heady" passages, but you may find yourself engaged--mesmerized, sometimes grossed out, sometimes laughing out loud.

One thing that I found to be especially i
Julie
Jul 07, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out fabulously, really liked it, laughed, got motivated. At some time after the midpoint, Magnuson got "dropped." It was almost like his contract said 'you've got X pages you must write, so I don't care what it sounds like--keep going.' He got mired in obsession, so much so that I as the reader started to not care anymore and wished he would get some psychological help. If it had stayed as a 'look what I did with cycling' story, it would have been fine, but it turned into a 'lo ...more
Art Rodriguez
How many times can you pat yourself on the back? Well Magnuson managed a 250+ page book to do just that. I think it is an amazing thing to change ones life the way he did...perhaps he can write a book about it. Seriously, how many times can an author, and teacher of creative writing, use the words "awesome"? Well, there were a few decent chapters about the races he was in...maybe you can"hammer" your way through it.
David
Jan 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I re-read this after two years. Mike Magnuson is not only a skilled writer, but a bit of a philosopher. I can really identify with the spirit (if not the exact circumstances) of his tale of self improvement. The book is funny, enlightening, and inspiring. I find myself thinking about it now and then.
Ali6
Jun 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
As a cyclist trying to lost 25 pounds, I was really looking forward to reading this book. While it was entertaining to some extent, as well as a quick read, I thought it was poorly written which took away some of the enjoyment of the book. The author is a Creative Writing professor at Southern Illinois University, which makes the run-on sentences and poorly constructed paragraphs seem even worse. I feel sorry for his poor students.

He comes across as a bit of an egotistical jerk, which also was a
Clark Goble
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In his memoirs Heft On Wheels, cyclist Mike Magnuson tells the story of how he replaced an obsession with cigarettes and booze with an obsession with all things cycling. In the process, he dropped somewhere in the neighborhood of 80 or 90 pounds. Throughout the entire book there is the feeling that one bad spill or stressful day is gonna send Magnuson right back to the bar stool.

I enjoy this book because it is real. Magnuson is inspirational without trying to be. At nearly 300 pounds at the begi
Bob
Jun 01, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I started this book a year ago hoping that it would provide some inspiration for me since I am an overweight male who likes to bicycle. I put it down after a couple of chapters. The author comes of as a bit of a jerk. I had read an earlier memoir he had written titled Lumox, aptly named. I finally picked it up again this fall, I simply can not leave a book partially read. There are some inspitational moments at times, but what really seemed to be the story is that the author exhibits an addictiv ...more
Lynn
May 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, read-in-2010
I read this book very quickly, in about 2 days. I liked the conversational tone of the book. I read it because I am very interested in sports memoirs and happy endings. The story is very compelling, how he lost weight and changed his life by becoming a serious biker. It also has a lot of reflection on who we are and why we do what we do. Highly recommended.
Carl
Jul 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: bicycles
Interesting book in that the guy wrote it so soon after shedding so much weight by basically transitioning addictions to alcohol and cigarettes to the bicycle. At least he accepts that he's basically an addictive personality, and has merely found an addiction that is the least ruinous to his and his family's health.
Pat H
Sep 19, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though I admire Mr. Magnuson's accomplishment, I neither admire him nor his book. The writing is too narcissistic and I just wound up feeling sorry for his family.
  • Ten Points
  • Effective Cycling
  • The Bicycling Guide to Complete Bicycle Maintenance and Repair: For Road and Mountain Bikes
  • The Backpacker's Field Manual, Revised and Updated: A Comprehensive Guide to Mastering Backcountry Skills
  • Pedaling Revolution: How Cyclists Are Changing American Cities
  • The Complete Walker
  • Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair
  • A Dog in a Hat: An American Bike Racer's Story of Mud, Drugs, Blood, Betrayal, and Beauty in Belgium
  • Zim: A Baseball Life
  • Tom Brown's Field Guide to Living with the Earth
  • Lance: The Making of the World's Greatest Champion
  • Mud, Sweat, and Gears: A Rowdy Family Bike Adventure Across Canada on Seven Wheels
  • Cycling Home From Siberia
  • Flying Scotsman: Cycling to Triumph Through My Darkest Hours
  • Every Woman's Guide to Cycling: Everything You Need to Know, From Buying Your First Bike toWinning Your First Ra ce
  • Beyond Backpacking: Ray Jardine's Guide to Lightweight Hiking