Start by marking “The Ayurvedic Cookbook” as Want to Read:
The Ayurvedic Cookbook

The Ayurvedic Cookbook

The Ayurvedic Cookbook gives a fresh new perspective on this ancient art of self-healing. Over 250 taste-tested recipes are specifically designed to balance each constitution, with an emphasis on simplicity, ease and sound nutrition.
Published June 1st 1990 by Lotus Press (WI)

Start your review of The Ayurvedic Cookbook
Joan
May 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Already wrinkly and stained from many kitchadi cooking sessions. The book is worth the price for that section alone.
Rachel Li
Nov 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
don't be fooled by the cover or lack of visual appeal, this is full of great info. and advice! ...more
Jory Anick
Sep 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Ayurvedic Cookbook by Amadea Morningstar is a delicious guide to vedic food for particular doshas. While its contents aren't medicinal in the sense of the more advanced treatments in the Samhitas, these recipes have excellent nutrition and can create subtle effects to mood and digestive order. This was my first Ayurvedic book, and it continues to offer insight these many years later. Highly recommended. ...more
Brook Cosby
Jun 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
"Q: My family and friends think I'm crazy to think that food can make a difference in my health. ...

"A: ... Trying to convince anyone else about what you're doing only takes valuable energy you could put elsewhere. If the Ayurvedic program works for you, it will be obvious to them in the long run."
emiliana veny veronika
I just started my plant-based diet and this book has helped me to understand this journey better. I never see food the same way again, in this book so many detail information about spices, and it so interesting how every spices has different care and way to cook it. Not just spices, things like Legumes, beans, mushroom, fruit, greens, etc. So rich and fascinating.
Cheri
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life and I've never felt so good!
It taught me the true meaning of ' mind, body and soul connection'. My knowledge and understanding of life has totally transformed.
I learned so much about my ' true self' and learned to embrace it and love it.
I'm so grateful to have discovered Ayurveda trough this beautiful book!
I recommend it to everyone!
Tami
Nov 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit that I was a little intimidated when I first picked up The Ayurvedic Cookbook. I am new to Ayurveda. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on about the system and have started to change the way I eat according to these principles. However, to this point, I have been looking at specific foods and tastes to help my own health rather than trying to create a whole meal for my family.

Even with my limited experiments, I have already noticed changes in the way I feel. I was
Nadine Feldman
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
We're still trying the recipes from this book, but so far they are interesting and tasty. There's some detailed information about Ayurveda and the doshas for those unfamiliar. This is strictly a vegetarian cookbook, so I often use the recipes for lighter meals and give my husband a side of meat protein to go with it.

I'm working on some health issues, and Ayurveda seems to be the most helpful system for me to do that holistically.

The recipes I've tried so far make family-sized portions, so if yo
Florence Ditlow
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people with health issues
Recommended to Florence by: my doctor
This is a perfect tool to learn how to use ayurvedic diet to improve your life. Yes it's a non complicated cookbook, but the introductory chapter is loaded with information on how to tailor your diet to improve health and well being.
I refer most to vegetables as Morningstar know the ideal spice/herbal additions. Curries in minutes, condiments are appetizing- see mango chutney, cashew chutney, cilantro chutney.
Joanne
Sep 10, 2012 rated it liked it
For anyone interested in Ayurvedic philosophy there's everything you need in this book to get started & beyond. It's kinda like a GCSE text book the author wants you to understand what Ayurvedic food is about instead of flicking through & choosing a recipe at random. If you like reading cookery books to understand culture & lifestyles this is for you. ...more
Kristin
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sorosis
Many of these recipes are GF/CF, although I did not consider that until a few years after purchasing this amazing cookbook. Love the reference charts and general information included. This book is very comprehensive and enlightening even if you never try any of the recipes!
Amanda
Jun 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this cookbook. The recipes are simple, easy, and everything I have tried so far has been delicious!
Laura De
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lovely recipes, but the instructions frequently assume too much, like you already know what a certain Indian herb is, how to get it, or how to prepare it.
S.M.
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
awesome Indian recipes with Ayurvedic context.
Mina
Feb 02, 2009 added it
I like the recipes in this book, they are all vegeterians and useful for people who wants to be vegeterian.
I am not vegeterian yet.
Gheeta
Oct 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
a great introduction to the ideas behind Ayurveda. very interesting recipes for all sorts of ailments and general health maintenance.
Lynn
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Love this cookbook! Great recipes, and she gives instructions on how to modify the dishes according to your dosha.
Dingus Mghee
Jun 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dirty hippies
Shelves: asstastic
Sep 27, 2012
Michelle Riaz
Mar 31, 2016
Monique
rated it did not like it
Jan 31, 2015
Pema Dedrun
Dec 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Ayurveda and the Mind
  • Eat, Taste, Heal: An Ayurvedic Cookbook for Modern Living
  • Ayurveda: The Science of Self-Healing
  • The Art of Memoir
  • Ketotarian: The (Mostly) Plant-Based Plan to Burn Fat, Boost Your Energy, Crush Your Cravings, and Calm Inflammation
  • Premka: White Bird in a Golden Cage: My Life with Yogi Bhajan
  • Buddha in Blue Jeans: An Extremely Short Simple Zen Guide to Sitting Quietly and Being Buddha
  • Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy
  • Man of Peace: the illustrated life story of the Dalai Lama of Tibet
  • Vegan for friends: verrassende recepten met een verhaal
  • The Psychology of Time Travel
  • Tantra para Devis: El renacimiento del Tantra
  • Ayurveda y psicología
  • Neti: Healing Secrets of Yoga and Ayurveda
  • Isis Unveiled, Vol. 1 of 2 (Forgotten Books)
  • Manual del Activador Planetario: Reconociendo el YOSOY
  • Más allá del biocentrismo
  • 7 herramientas del amor: Cómo aprender a amar

News & Interviews

Ciannon Smart has been holed up in her England home since the pandemic began a year ago, but by no means has she been idle. She’s been on...