Start by marking “Augustus to Constantine” as Want to Read:
Augustus to Constantine

Augustus to Constantine

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  21 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
s/t: The Thrust of the Christian Movement into the Roman World Beginning with the death of Augustus, the 1st Roman emperor, in AD 14, & ending with the death of the 1st Christian emperor, Constantine, in 337, this study of early Christianity brings to life the religious, political & cultural developments thru which a Jewish sect became the religion of the Roman emp ...more
Hardcover, 1st, 348 pages
Published 1970 by Harper & Row (NY)

To ask other readers questions about Augustus to Constantine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Augustus to Constantine

Nikki
Jul 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How did a small sect from an even smaller sect of religion (Judaism) developed into becoming the official religion of Imperial Rome? In this book, Grant provided the answer by giving an overarching description of how early followers of Christianity and Imperial Rome interacted and ended up shaping and reshaping each other.

It is interesting to read that as a movement, Christianity grew from a persecuted group to a large network of followers with the establishment of positions of bishops, deacons,
John Smith
May 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: church-history
I love the late antique and patristics period. I treasure the philosophical and ecclesiaological discoveries I make in reading about it. But I must admit that I mark that I have finished it because GR does not seem to have a setting for indicating that you simply put the book down and decided to stop reading. I certainly enjoyed reading it and think that it is well written.
Erik Graff
Nov 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Church historians
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: history
A good, albeit dry, scholarly study of Roman and Church history from Augustus Caesar until Constantine by a former professor of the Divinity School of the University of Chicago.
David
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greek-roman
school material
Bruce Morton
Sep 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert M. Grant at his best. His pen gives flesh to the Roman Imperial period -- when Jesus walked the earth. An important portrait of the background of earliest Christianity.
Michael