Start by marking “The Not-So-Jolly Roger (Time Warp Trio #2)” as Want to Read:
The Not-So-Jolly Roger (Time Warp Trio #2)

The Not-So-Jolly Roger (Time Warp Trio #2)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  941 Ratings  ·  64 Reviews
Avast and belay, me hearties - it's lunacy on the high seas! It's the Time Warp Trio to the rescue! Only now they are rescuing their own adventure-loving hides. Blame Fred, or blame the mysterious magic of "The Book" - but whichever way you slice it, Blackbeard's got our accidental time travelers cornered, and he's about to slice them!
Published May 1st 1993 by Puffin (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about The Not-So-Jolly Roger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Not-So-Jolly Roger

Cheri
I'm just not impressed by Time Warp Trio. The potty and fart jokes aren't funny, and are way overused (this from someone who likes Captain Underpants). The relationships between the boys are not ones that I find friendly, and that I would want kids to think was respectful. The story ideas are interesting, but the execution is rather boring--it's more like a weak plot line fleshed out with dry facts about the history we're "studying" in the book. Just not my cup of tea.
Kristine Hansen
Jul 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, chapter-book
Fun book with some good facts about Blackbeard. I like the history note at the end. I still don't like the style of having the book start in the midst of the action and then using chapter 2 as a flashback. I'd rather we just told the story in order as it's very confusing when you start reading.
Jakey
Nov 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The guy on the front is named Blackbeard. He's scary. He has a smoking beard. This book was fun.
Diane
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
When Fred wishes for buried treasure, the Time Warp Trio find themselves on a desert island with a Pirate ship quickly approaching. They witness Blackbeard and two prisoners dig a hole to bury a treasure. When finished, Blackbeard shoots his two companions, burying them with the treasure. Then, he discovers the "three monkeys" in the tree and the Time Warp Trio find themselves dangerously close to walking the plank.
Maximilian Lee
Nov 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this book because it has some information about black beard. I also liked this book because it was very adventurous.
Nancy
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: jcp
The story itself was good for an elementary school-age child. I especially liked the drawings by Lane Smith, who also illustrated, "The True Story Of The Three Little Pigs".
Dolly
Feb 21, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Vile pirates, danger everywhere, murder, mayhem, and buried treasure. This series has been compared to the Magic Tree House series due to the time travel and adventure. But this is more PG, less G-rated and in my opinion, a little more fun. Don't get me wrong, we love the Magic Tree House series, but the team of Scieszka and Lane have created books that are magical, witty, and definitely mischievious and full of excitement. Plus, they are typically shorter, so we can read one together in an hour ...more
Mason Giles
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: infm-208
After a wish for buried treasure, Joe’ Uncles Magic book called simply “The Book” Sends Joe and His best friends, Fred and Sam back in time to the age of pirates! The only way for the boys to get back to their time is to find The Book. But who Do they meet as they arrival in the Caribbean? None other than the Pirate King himself… Blackbeard! After a misunderstanding Blackbeard thinks the boys can conger money out of thin air and they get “recruited” to his pirate crew. That’s where they find out ...more
Christina
Once again, the boys are transported back in time where they meat Blackbeard and are taken hostage on the ship Queen Anne's Revenge. Worried they will have to walk the plank, the boys try to figure out where the magical book is so they can get back home safely.

As with the first, the book is a quick and entertaining read. It is fun to visit historical figures and Scieszka does not beat around the bush with details; he tells it like it is. So expect people to die. Expect people to walk the plank a
Louis
Aug 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I listened to this title on book on CD. The book on CD had the first two titles in the Time Warp Trio series. This is the 2nd book in that series.

Most of my comments from my review of "Knights of the Kitchen Table" stand here. I did appreciate the afterword about the real life Edward Teach.

I also enjoyed how the boys had to deal with their movie perceptions of pirates versus the reality of what it was probably like. The use of sea chanteys was a good touch.

The plot was well-woven and included
CH13_Lisa Matthews

The not so Jolly Roger is a story about three friends Fred, Sam and Joe. Joe receives a book for his birthday from his uncle who is a magician. This book is a magical book that transports the three friends on a wild and crazy adventure with Black Beard the pirate when Fred wishes for buried treasure.

Fred, Sam and Joe were brave, adventurous and smart which helped them outsmart Blackbeard the pirate and find the book they so desperate need to get back home. The boys learned that teamwork helps t
Marquez
The title is Time Warp Trio: Not So Jolly Rodger by Jon Scieszka. There are 57 pages in this book.
The story is about a young boy named Joe who gets a book from his uncle on his birthday. Joe soon realizes the book holds magic powers allowing him to go back in time. Him and his friends end up in trouble when they go to pirate times. They run into a pirate who needs help so he brings them aboard his ship. The pirate trust he can get richer by the magic they hold. I feel okay with the ending but no
Andy
Aug 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-star
The Time Warp Trio is back. This time they've accidentally traveled back to the days of pirates. When the legendary pirate Blackbeard finds Joe, Fred and Sam hiding in a coconut tree, he mistakenly takes them for thieves The trio must once again find a new way out of a tricky situation, and they succeed with much humor and cleverness. This is another extremely short read that is full of adventure.
Liu
Aug 16, 2016 added it
So one day. This three best friend have a magical book that can grant them wishes. There names are Sam, Fred, and Joe. then they wish for something but they did not think well. So the book timed travels them to danger!

The thing i like about this story is the art. Because
the art are beautiful and i like to draw too.

i have a question that i was thinking.
Is time traveling possible???

Mrs Bond
Mar 10, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: chapterbook, pirates
This is my first Time Warp Trio book. First impression: this is Magic Tree House without the girls. But I'm a girl, and I like this much more than Magic Tree House. Surprised there was so much murder and mayhem in a chapter book, but then again, it was all very pirate related. The boys meet Captain Blackbeard who they find to be as ruthless as history and movies have portrayed him.
Brenden Stell
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I thought that this book was very action packed even though it was short and only 55 pages long, it was a great short read and I could finish it in 2-3 days. The author did a great job explaining the theme throughout the book and represented it very well. I give this book 5 out of 5 stars, great book.
Michele
This series is a great read for 6-10 year old boys. Suspenseful yet silly adventures of all sorts to grab their attention and challenging vocabulary make them smarter - there's even a little history thrown in. :) I've been reading them aloud with my 1st grader and he laughs out loud at the cheekiness of them.
Jennifer Kennedy
I chose to read the next book in the Time Warp Trio series, The Not-So Jolly Roger by Jon Scieczka. Once again the three friends, Sam, Joe, and Fred, accidentally trigger their magic book to send them back to the time of the notorious pirate Blackbeard. The three boys must use their wits and quick thinking to outsmart the dangerous band of pirates and get back home.
Katie Kirkland
Apr 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
My group of third graders are loving this series. We read this as a book club selection and they were literally rolling while we discussed the book. While the boys in the group have completely fallen for this series and are now checking them out of the library, the girls said they just enjoyed it. They weren't sure if they would choose to read any more in the series.
Natalie
Mar 13, 2011 added it
Shelves: library, kid-books
I was looking for books to read out loud. Right around when Blackbeard killed two of his crew I decided this wasn't the one for us :-) so I didn't finish it. I'm sure when Tom's maybe 6 to 8 he'll love these. Not sure if they're up Sam's alley or not.
Jenny
Apr 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-the-kids
This is another fun episode of the Time Warp Trio. I like that these books are broken up into chapters but that, overall they aren't super long. I always appreciate a historical fiction as well. The boys are an anachronism, of course, but it gets a little history mixed into the fun.
Moe
Jul 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 3rd-grade
This was my first book of the Time Warp Trio. I think it was really good because I like pirates and it had a lot to do with the Jolly Roger and Edward Teach (Blackbeard). It was fiction because the time warp trio goes back in time.
Julie Suzanne
Jul 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
Cheesy, easy read. I think this would be a great first chapter book--My 9-year-old was a bit old for it. We used it as a read aloud and it only took two bedtimes. Wish he would've agreed to read it in 1st or 2nd grade.
K.F.
Jun 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Definitely better than the first--and the cute little historical note and the end was really cool. There was a lot I had forgotten in the like 15 years or so that I've read this book. Also apparently there's a TV series? super cool.
Melchor.707
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thought that the way that they experienced the past was very different instead of them just reading a history book because they got to find out real more accurate information than other source.
Vonnegut
Nov 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is about kids that say bad words
PWRL
Jul 05, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
O
Rebecca
Jul 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ls5360
This series is a good book for young readers who are ready to transition into chapter books. Boys will especially like the action and adventure.
Mas5thgrade2011
Sep 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5b, soccer07, boomer7
I really liked this book. It was really funny
Michelle
Mar 04, 2015 marked it as to-read
Listed as Q3 = A good story with some faults, P3 = A booktalk on this title will excite most people’s interest
  • The Chameleon Wore Chartreuse: A Chet Gecko Mystery
  • Stink: The Ultimate Thumb-Wrestling Smackdown (Stink, #6)
  • The Dragon Players (Knights Of The Lunch Table, #2)
  • Big Anthony and the Magic Ring
  • The Feelings Book: The Care & Keeping of Your Emotions
  • Mini Mysteries: 20 Tricky Tales to Untangle (American Girl Library)
  • Cool Zone with the Pain and the Great One
  • Revenge of the Dragon Lady (Dragon Slayers' Academy, #2)
  • Mudville
  • The SOS File
  • Return to Ithaca (Tales from the Odyssey, #5)
  • Firefighter Ted
  • Encyclopedia Brown Carries On (Encyclopedia Brown, #14)
  • Invasion of the Road Weenies and Other Warped and Creepy Tales (Weenies series, #2)
  • Nasty, Stinky Sneakers
  • Our Island Story
  • The Hawk Bandits of Tarkoom (The Secrets of Droon, #11)
  • Past Perfect, Present Tense
Jon Scieszka is a writer and teacher. He lives in Brooklyn, New York, with his wife and two children. Occasionally he has been known to howl at the full moon. --from the dust jacket of "The True Story of the 3 Little Pigs"

Jon Scieszka is also the author of the best-selling ALA Notable Book, The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, as well as Knights of the Kitchen Table, and The Not-So-Jolly Roger
More about Jon Scieszka...

Time Warp Trio (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Knights of the Kitchen Table (Time Warp Trio, #1)
  • The Good, the Bad, and the Goofy (Time Warp Trio #3)
  • Your Mother Was a Neanderthal
  • 2095 (Time Warp Trio, #5)
  • Tut, Tut (Time Warp Trio, #6)
  • Summer Reading is Killing Me! (Time Warp Trio #7)
  • It's All Greek to Me
  • See You Later, Gladiator
  • Sam Samurai (Time Warp Trio, #10)
  • Hey Kid, Want to Buy a Bridge? (Time Warp Trio #11)