Start by marking “Pumpkin Cat” as Want to Read:
Pumpkin Cat

Pumpkin Cat

Mouse shows Cat how to grow pumpkins, then turns one into a surprise. Includes facts about growing pumpkins.
Published 2011 by Katherine Tegen Books

To ask other readers questions about Pumpkin Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pumpkin Cat

Start your review of Pumpkin Cat
Calista
A cat and a mouse grow pumpkins starting in May for Halloween. Basically, a simple how to story; It wasn’t an exciting story.

The nephew rolled his eyes during this book. As soon as we started I knew this wasn’t good for him, but we finished it anyway before reading another one. He gave this 1 star.
Abigail
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Anne Mortimer Fans
Anthropomorphic animal tales can be a little tricky to pull off, I find, and Anne Mortimer's Pumpkin Cat doesn't quite get the job done, despite its beautiful artwork. Ostensibly a story about a cat and mouse who cultivate a pumpkin together, it offers a very basic, step-by-step guide to the process, as narrated by Mouse, who instructs Cat in: adding soil to the flower pot, planting and watering the seeds, relocating the plants outside and waiting as they grow, constructing a scarecrow, when the ...more
Set
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: halloween

I actually liked this story and I don't usually like books about talking animals. The black of the cat and the orange of the pumpkin are very complementary; very nice illustrations. They give us the 5 steps of growing a pumpkin and the ending is a surprise gift from mouse to cat.
Jenny
Darling illustrations!! This reminds me a bit of The Little Red Hen with a major difference...the cat and mouse work together to complete each step of growing the pumpkin (so I guess it isn't that similar...but somehow the step by step nature of the planting and harvesting was reminiscent of The Little Red Hen). The cat and mouse are so lovely...the illustrations are what make this simple text shine.
Sarah ~Sehrenity~
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2014
Super cute!! And it demonstrates learning, cooperation, and growing plants... all without telling you that's what it's doing.
Alisha
Oct 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pumpkins, planting
I choose to do this book for storytime because I wanted something to explain the process of planting seeds to make a pumpkin. I think this one is simple and engaging enough to do the trick.
Laurie
May 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Melissa
Lincoln enjoyed the illustrations in this
The illustrations definitely steal the show, the rest is just meh. Cat keeps asking what to do next to grow pumpkins and Mouse keeps telling him then they do it together. not a great read aloud choice, but not a terrible one, either.
Mama Bibliosoph
Cat and Mouse (inexplicably friends) work together in a garden through the seasons to grow a pumpkin. Cat acts as student, asking questions about what to do next, while Mouse provides the expertise.

Pumpkin Cat is a good book for sequencing and asking questions. It does a good job of showing, through realistic pencil illustrations, the lifecycle of the pumpkin in the context of changing seasons. The illustrations will be too busy for some kids, but it is helpful that they are presented zoomed in
Sunah Chung
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cat wondered how pumpkins grow. Mouse showed Cat the process of seeding to harvesting.
Two animals under the food chain were the major characters in the story. The mouse was often adopted in a picture book as smart and wise. For instance, Mouse in this book explains and shows Cat how to plant pumpkins, phrasing the instructions in the form of a nursery rhyme. The recursive patterns of discourses facilitate readers' ability to fully comprehend the necessary steps involved in the processes. For ex
Jana
This is a nice picture book that tells the story of two unlikely friends (a cat and a mouse) and their pumpkin growing project. In the spring, Cat wonders about how pumpkins grow and Mouse is happy to help. Together they gather the materials, plant the seeds, and watch them grow. When October rolls around and the pumpkins are ready, Mouse shows Cat something really awesome to do with pumpkins. This would be a good book to share with young children as part of a lesson on growing seeds, or just a ...more
Rachel
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
In the month of May, Cat saw a packet of pumpkin seeds and wondered, "how do pumpkins grow?" Throughout the story, Cat and his friend Mouse go through the process of planting and caring for the seeds until by October they turn into big, orange pumpkins (that Mouse then surprises Cat by carving into a Jack-O-Lantern). Very nicely detailed illustrations with instructions on how to grow your own pumpkins at the end.
Kathleen
Oct 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Who says cat and mouse can't be friends? Mouse teaches Cat all about planting pumpkins. Those Halloween jack o laterns take a lot of patience and work first. Good book for kids who want to test out their green thumb, but overall nothing too special
Meg
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children, cats
Cute, but strangely nothing to do with the cat or mouse characters. (Could have been done with... people?) But I like the instructions at the back of the book, and the informational elements here. Strange that it's so specifically a Halloween story, but sort of cute and unique.
Peacegal
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wonderful illustrations are a joy to look at!
Emily
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing illustrations!
Molly Cluff (Library!)
An easy book to incorporate actions. More gardeny than Halloweeny, but still cute!
Aug 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Delightful.
Heather
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: storytime-ideas
A bit too meh for storytime
Valleri
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fox, green, halloween, seasons
I love this endearing tale of a cat trying to figure out how to grow a pumpkin in time for Halloween.
Cara Byrne
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was an unexpected hit with my two-year-old and five-year-old. Perhaps it's the fact that we have two friendly neighborhood black cats. Perhaps it's the sweet friendship cultivated between a cat and mouse over gardening together. Perhaps it's the realistic illustrations and short sentences. No matter, this was a great read and a subtle Halloween picture book that emphasized the role pumpkins play in the holiday (instead of costumes, spooky elements, etc.)
Cassie Troja
Oct 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was another Read Aloud Revival (Sarah Mackenzie) recommendation. My kids (5yo & 3yo) loved this book! They loved the “super cute” illustrations and the little surprise at the end. It also helped reinforce what they learned in other books about how pumpkins grow. I wish it had a few more details about planting and growing pumpkins as it seems a bit over-simplified. But my kids, who are the actual target audience, loved it. We recommend this book! ...more
Mister David
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
A mouse demonstrates to a cat how to grow pumpkins. Story told in dialog form with the cat saying the repeated refrain "What now?" Beautiful life-like illustrations which show a variety of perspectives. The cat, especially, looks very realistic. The last page gives the adults the 5 steps for growing pumpkins.
Ann
Enjoyed the book and it would be a good lapsit story or possibly a preschool storytime book. Lovely illustrations. It could be used for a pumpkin storytime but not my first choice for a halloween storytime.
Lisa
Oct 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-and-g
I love a non-scary Halloween book, and the illustrations were beautiful (especially the cat and her expressions!). Also the cat is female which is so rare in a non-maternal character in children's books. The story of watching pumpkins grow is a little boring, but the end is good.
Anthony
Cat asks the question of how do pumpkins grow? Mouse offers to teach him how pumpkins grow. Step by step instructions by mouse, and team work in the garden answers the question and after the pumpkin grows, mouse makes a surprise for cat to enjoy.
Ann
Cat and mouse discover the art of gardening. Step by step illustrations are a pleasure to follow, as Cat puts his paws in the soil and Mouse directs. The illustrations are charming ending with a full page description of how to plant pumpkins seeds to yield a bright orange pumpkin.
Lynn  Davidson
Oct 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
The illustrations in this book are so realistic of Cat and Mouse; gorgeous!
Cat wondered how pumpkins grow, so Mouse showed Cat each step of the process - right to something wonderful at the end.
On the last page is "Instructions for Growing Pumpkins" for the reader.
Amanda
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gorgeous illustrations. Great little story to teach kids how plants grow.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Happy Halloween, Stinky Face
  • Duck, Duck, Dinosaur: Perfect Pumpkin
  • Pumpkin Trouble
  • The Story of the Jack O'Lantern
  • Duck & Goose Honk! Quack! Boo!
  • All Are Welcome
  • Pumpkin Cat
  • Pumpkin Island
  • The Night Gardener
  • Pip & Squeak
  • Pumpkin Soup
  • The Pigeon Needs a Bath!

News & Interviews