Start by marking “Myths and Legends” as Want to Read:
Myths and Legends

Myths and Legends

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  513 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Published July 15th 2007 by Kingfisher (first published September 27th 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Myths and Legends, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Simon
Nov 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
Ancient myths and legends, mostly Greek, are retold with wit and humanity. These interesting interpretations of ancient tales contain some laugh out loud moments. I thoroughly enjoyed reading them.
Kaitlyn
May 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
My parents got me this book when I was a kid for my birthday & I basically thought it was the coolest thing ever... for a while. But throughout the end of elementary on up through high school, I don't know that I touched it again. But then, a couple of semesters ago, we discussed Narcissus in a class and were assigned to go look up the story. I was going to just google it, but randomly thought of this book and went to it instead. I rediscovered why I loved this book when I was little.

The sto
Megan
Jun 30, 2010 added it
Anthony Horowitz is best known for the Alex Rider series, which has been popular in our library with upper elementary and middle school readers, especially boys. In "Myths and Legends," he offers up several short stories, including classics such as "Pandora's Box." Most of the myths were Greek. All the stories were interesting, simple, and easily understandable. I would highly recommend this, especially because of the increased interest in mythology due to the Percy Jackson craze. It's a nice in ...more
Janek Bogucki
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When you meddle with the Gods it's most likely not a happy ending. Surprisingly amusing.
Sam Smerbeck
Title: Myths and Legends
Author: Anthony Horowitz
Illustrator: Francis Mosley
Genre: Myth
Theme(s): Mythological Heroes, Multiculturalism
Opening Line/Sentence:
The fourth great pharaoh of Egypt was named Osiris. He was a god, the great-grandson of Ra, who, according to the Egyptians, created the world.
Brief Book Summary:
This book goes through 35 ancient myths that span across the whole world in regards to cultures, from Japanese to English to Native American. Each myth is no more than 10 pages long a
Diane Sutton
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the more modern language for these stories, especially the contents of Pandora's box.
Claire Liu
Jul 27, 2013 rated it liked it
I am really fond of myths and legends since they are a mixture of fantasy and a somewhat view of the truth. When I saw the book ‘Myths and Legends’ I was immediately captivated, and after realising the author was Anthony Horowitz, an author I’ve admired when several years back, I knew I had to read this book.

Myths and Legends is a book of short stories. It is packed with myths from all round the world, mostly greek myths. One of the stories I really enjoyed was The Seven Pomegranate Seeds. I al
Woods
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: etec545-class-3
Anthony Horowitz. Myths and Legends. Kingfisher Books, New York. 1985.
A hero story probably intended for a middle school through high school audience, The Gorgon’s Head is a Greek myth taken from this compilation of myths and legends from around the world.
The Gorgon’s Head is a hero story about Perseus, who is tasked with getting the head of a Gorgon for his king, Polydectes. The king, who is really after Perseus’ mother, wants to get rid of Perseus and tricks him into going to slay a Gorgon.
Drake clay
Feb 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Tragedies and triumphs are memorable themes in this collection of thirty-five myths and legends from the ancient world. Including the greatest stories in Greek mythology. Some of the most famous characters and mythical monsters are in this collection.

There were some heroic characters set on missions to do what was right to save there town. These were people such as Osiris, Perseus, Hercules, Odysseus, and King Arthur. These fine people were the protectors of all that was human, meaning the myt
Daisy
Mar 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anybody interested in myths and legends
OK, before I start my review I just want to clear one thing up. On the back of the book (at least of the edition I've got) it says: THE GREATEST MYTHS AND LEGENDS OF ANCIENT TIMES RETOLD BY TODAY'S MOST EXCITING STORYTELLER. If you're looking for an exciting story book, don't listen to this. I didn't find it exciting - the closest thing to exciting was a tiny part in the story of The Hounds of Actaeon, where (view spoiler). Yeah, so, this book: not ...more
Alazzar
Oct 12, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I only got through the first three stories on this book before I had to give it up. I love a lot of the ideas behind mythology, but I feel that far too often the writing is too dull to hold my attention; it's often written like a textbook or the Bible. As much as I like the legends and premises behind the stories, I just have a hard time actually sitting down and reading through them.

I thought this book would be my cure. I'd heard that Horowitz had retold these myths with wit and whatnot, but I'
Isabel
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
It was OK.

Sometimes Horowitz's puns and little asides were distracting. He'd introduce anachronisms (Charon wears spectacles?) that were distracting and annoying. But perhaps these things would be a draw for a middle school reader...

…which is what I like about this book. It is a solid collection of myths and legends from around the world told in a way that is comprehensible to younger readers. It seems to me that the go-to source for Greek mythology is (and maybe always will be since I read it i
Ana
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I guess I was a bit too old for this book when I started reading it, and some parts were a bit childish (for example explaining how brothers and sisters used to marry). I'm an avid reader of all sorts of mythologies and legends so I was familiar with these ones, but still it's a nice introduction to the magnificent world of legends as it leaves a lot of space for exploration. Everything is explained nicely and more like fairy tales. I've read only encyclopedic myths so far and this was refreshin ...more
Samantha Lazar
Oct 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: folklore
CIP:Tragedies and triumphs are memorable themes in this collection of thirty-five myths and legends from the ancient world. Including the lesser-known tales of Polynesia and the Americas alongside the greatest stories in Greek mythology, young readers will explore the folklore of past civilizations.

This book is about Greek myths and legends. I have always found the Greek culture very interesting, and I remember studying it when I was a student. It has been a while, so this book served as a revie
Lorenzo Mendoza
Sep 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anybody that is interest in mythology.
Recommended to Lorenzo Mendoza by: I picked it myself.
This book is about all the Greek myths and legends and even Egyptian and roman legends are thrown into this book. This book contains all the legendary Greek hero stories and god stories. The story theme is a number of different kinds. Some of the stories relate to a lot of things going on the world today. This book has relations to middlesex because they have to do with mythology. I really enjoyed this book with the variety of different stories thrown in ranging from egyptian to greek. So if you ...more
James Lowrey
Dec 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Read this in my final year of primary school as it was pretty much the only book on the school bookshelf i hadn't read at the time. As a retelling of well-known myths and legends, it does skimp on a lot of the detail to make it more accessible to the younger reader but it is still a superb retelling of these stories that is certainly one of the prevailing reasons for my interest in Greek mythology today.
Rebecca
I enjoy Horowitz writing style and have enjoyed both his Alex Rider novels and the Power of Five set. This was a collection of short stories based on myths and legends from various cultures mainly Greek. It was okay but for me got a bit tedious after awhile but I tend to tea for fun rather than education.
Libby Ames
May 31, 2009 rated it liked it
The writing isn't great, but Horowitz does a good job of making the classic myths approachable. He includes enough humor to capture the intended audience. Although less intellectual and informative, Myths and Legends is a more approachable book for exposure to traditional mythology than Edith Hamilton's Mythology.
Kristina  UK
Some of these myths were easier to read than others. Others were like trudging through a quagmire, which is sad because they're quite short but they didn't seem to be written in a style that would appeal to a YA reader. Others were much lighter, flowed better and I zapped through, these tended to be the ones that had been rewritten more.
Aimée
Jul 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Reading this since I have to teach it this year. I don't mind. Mythology rules. But you know.

Liked: It has myths from several different cultures.

Meh: It has millions of Greek myths to choose from, and THOSE are the ones they picked?!!!

Disliked: It was almost TOO juvenile. I can't believe I have to do this with high school freshmen.
Marissa Morrison
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Lively retellings of old stories from around the world (but mostly from ancient Greece). Horowitz doesn't flesh out the stories a great deal, but he does add witty lines, such as:

- "Thor and Loki stood sheepishly while the goddess of love glared at them with remarkably little love in her eyes."

- "Hypaepae didn't have a village green. It had a village moldy brown."
Caroline
Jan 19, 2011 rated it liked it
There are so many references in literature to characters in mythology, so I thought this would be a good refresher. It was fun to notice that the three-headed dog in Harry Potter #1 bears a strong resemblance to the three-headed dog that guards the underworld. Also noticed that Shakespeare might have got the idea for Romeo and Juliet from Pyramus and Thisbe.
ʙ ᴇ ᴛ ʜ [ia] ᴄ
To start with, I didn't enjoy this book much. But then I did!! My favourite story by far was Narcissus. I was thinking about not finishing this, but I'm glad I did, as my second favourite story was in the second half!
Dayna Smith
Dec 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mythology
This is a brilliant collection of myths and legends from a variety of cultures. Included are myths and legends from the Greeks, Norse, Celtic, Anglo-Saxon, Japanese, Chinese, Indian, and more. Horowitz writes in a clear and entertaining style. A great read-aloud book.
Jana
May 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
It's the book that I never move from my bedroom. My boyfriend bought it to read us stories before we fall asleep. We really enjoy that, and because this is more simplified version, I often have vivid and great dreams.

Excellent and educational.
Fiona
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it
A great collection of Myths and legends, wonderfully retold and read. Although i would of liked to see some Celtic myths included, there are quite a few of which I have never heard before and were very intresting to hear of other less well-known myths from around the world.
Ron
Jan 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Tales from all over the world, some you thought you knew told in a new way, modernised in a way that seems contemporary but yet traditional in a strange way, others new to you in both senses. Many of the tales were as unusual as the sentence above!
Babette
Jul 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
if you're interested in myths and legends, you should read it: a very good writer and a subject you like combined in one!
Katrina Winchell
Feb 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015-reads
Geared towards juvenile readers, it has a plethora of myths told in easy to read and understand little vignettes.
Amy Lynn
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS WAS MY FAVOURITE BOOK WHEN I WAS A KID!
  • If You're Not Here, Please Raise Your Hand: Poems About School
  • De Griezelbus 4
  • The Tarantula in My Purse: and 172 Other Wild Pets
  • Water Buffalo Days: Growing Up in Vietnam
  • Abeltje en De A van Abeltje
  • Helen Keller:  A photographic story of a life (DK Biography)
  • Magical Beasts (The Enchanted World Series)
  • The Tale of Troy: Retold from the Ancient Authors
  • Fantasy Encyclopedia
  • The Demon Collector
Anthony Horowitz, OBE is ranked alongside Enid Blyton and Mark A. Cooper as "The most original and best spy-kids authors of the century." (New York Times). Anthony has been writing since the age of eight, and professionally since the age of twenty. In addition to the highly successful Alex Rider books, he is also the writer and creator of award winning detective series Foyle’s War, and more recent ...more
More about Anthony Horowitz...