Start by marking “F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone, #6)” as Want to Read:
F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone, #6)

F is for Fugitive (Kinsey Millhone #6)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  27,284 Ratings  ·  603 Reviews
One of today's hottest mystery writers is back with the latest installment in her alphabet sleuth series. This multi- layered novel explores the explosive passions that reignite questions concerning the 17-year-old murder of a promiscuous teenage girl.
Published April 7th 1990 by Bantam Books (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about F is for Fugitive, please sign up.

Eileen No! A is for alibi is the very 1st book in the series! The series is called the alphabet series and it has 26 books in the series! Sue is coming to a…moreNo! A is for alibi is the very 1st book in the series! The series is called the alphabet series and it has 26 books in the series! Sue is coming to a end with the series!(less)

James
Book Review
3 of 5 stars to F is for Fugitive, the 6th book in the "Kinsey Millhone" mystery series written in 1988 by Sue Grafton. In between a cozy mystery and a traditional mystery, this series toes the line with its strong and serious private investigator, Kinsey, based in California during the 1980s. In this one, she takes on a case close to 20 years old, trying to collect as many details as she can from the family who has hired her. But they won't tell her everything... and it's about t
Quenya
I loved this story and it is probably because I have a soft spot for cold case mysteries. The other reason this is a great story is because Kinsey is complete left to her resources. Her support system is non-existent because her client isn’t in good health to help her and Grafton takes the story out of Santa Theresa.

The reader gets a really good feel for just how observant Kinsey is of the people around her. Grafton brings this out as Kinsey is describing the people, the family dynamics and the
Steven
Jul 15, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2013
Great story for Kinsey. Didn't include the regular locale or any of the regular characters other than Kinsey.

Mostly, I was weirded out that for the first time in the series Sue Grafton didn't mention bougainvillea. Strange!!!
Obsidian
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-2017
F is for Fugitive has Kinsey living with Henry after a bomb blew her home up and left his main house slightly damaged. Kinsey is feeling hemmed in and takes a case that has her living with a family that hires her in Floral Beach. Kinsey is hired by the Fowler family to clear the son (Bailey) since his father doesn't believe Bailey killed his young girlfriend 17 years ago.

Having Kinsey in a new location could have been interesting, but I felt claustrophobic while reading this. The Fowler family w
Mark Baker
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2017-audio, 2017
Seventeen years ago, the murder of a teen shocked the small community of Floral Beach. The young man who confessed to the crime broke out of prison a year later, but he’s been recaptured and Kinsey has been hired to prove his innocence. With the trails cold, she has her work cut out for her, and it seems everyone in town is hiding a secret. Can she learn the truth of what happened all those years ago?

One again, we are off on a wild ride that only gets wilder as we go along. Since we spend almost
Charlotte (Buried in Books)
Julie
F is for Fugitive by Sue Grafton is a 2005 publication.

Kinsey is away from home this time around, working a cold case for a man hoping to clear his son’s name before he dies.

Floral Beach is a tiny beachside town, quiet and peaceful, but seventeen years ago, a young woman was murdered. The man accused of her crime escaped prison, but was recaptured. Ken Kinsey discover the truth before he’s sent back to prison?

I am really enjoying reading through this series in order, for a change. Kinsey was
Judy
Mar 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
I liked this installation of the Kinsey Millhone mysteries very well. It had its usual low-life scummy people with whom she has to interact, and some scary situations, but I like how she goes about her investigation -- I think I'd have given up on this one a lot earlier than she did. I especially would never have agreed to eat dinner with that awful family every night! Great ending! And now on to "G".
Eva
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
F is for Fantastic! I enjoyed this installment of Sue Grafton's "Alphabet Mysteries" even more than earlier novels in this series. A sharply crafted cast of wacky characters, an engrossing mystery to solve, and a satisfying conclusion. It took this series a while to get going, but now it is racing like a train out of control.
Una Tiers
This was a re-read. Kinsey goes away to solve this cold case and we miss the usual characters. The premise is very dark along with the issues that lead her to the conclusion. The people she meets are pretty depressing.
Debbie
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a good series and I have enjoyed them all so far. I love to get involved with such long running story lines, because the characters become such good friends.....on to G......
Judy
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is no greater keeper of secrets than a small town that wants to protect its own. Kinsey Millhone discovers this fact when she travels to Florida to investigate a cold-case crime.
Hayley
Another solid offering from Grafton, though not as good as some of the previous ones.

The premise is promising enough - 17 years ago, a 17-year-old girl, Jean Timberlake, was murdered. Bailey Fowler was imprisoned for the crime after pleading guilty, and then skipped from jail shortly after. Now, after all that time, Bailey has been caught, and his father wants Kinsey to clear his son's name.

Whilst the storyline was interesting and I enjoyed reading it, but I think for the majority of the book,
Natalie
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Grafton seems to have fallen into a pattern with these mystery novels: Kinsey runs, eats little, gets absorbed into the world of the person she's investigating, finds out things very slowly, things come right together in the end, and she almost gets killed. Without fail, these themes constantly recur. This novel is certainly no different, except Kinsey is not in her home of Santa Teresa, she's out of her element in a small town called Floral Beach. I've read that Grafton's favorite death is in t ...more
Emily Randall
Another murder mystery from Sue Grafton, unlike the rest of her books though, this time she is investigating a murder that occurred in the past!

This one didn't really feature many of the normal regulars, there was mention of Kinsey’s neighbour at the beginning...as she was staying with him as a result of her home being blown up in E is for Evidence!!

Some interesting new characters but lacking some personalisation in this one and some of the new characters were a little bit too much!!

I actually
KK
Short & sweet, F is for Fugitive really only focuses on Kinsey's investigation, which was peculiar enough to keep me interested. Kinsey's personal life, however, was temporarily on hold, so there was no real character development to speak of.
These books are always enjoyable. A very good series so far.
Valery
May 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were a couple of earlier books in the series that I liked better than this one, but all of them have held a consistent level of entertainment for me. This one took place outside of her usual surroundings. As usual, I was on the cusp of solving the mystery but fell short on the details. I tend to get led off the trail by the distracting nuggets she drops to trick us, lol.
Alondra
Nov 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, mystery
3.5 Stars

This book reminds me of why I do NOT like small towns. Everyone is in the others business, and the twisted, creepiness of peoples secrets, knows no bounds. I had no idea who the killer was. What a nutcase.

Bookish Enchantment
This was a rather sad story in so many ways. Showed how families can be easily torn apart. Quite different I thought from the others in the series although just as good. More of a mystery this time than a thriller.
Ed
Feb 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Top-notch entry in the series, for me. P.I. Kinsey investigates an old murder in a small CA town. I liked her eye for detail and toughness in this book. Good interaction with the minor characters.
Teena in Toronto
Kinsey Millhone is a private detective in Santa Teresa, CA, and is in her thirties. She has been hired by Royce Fowler, whose son, Bailey, was arrested 17 years ago for murdering his teenage girlfriend, Jean. Bailey had escaped from prison shortly thereafter and had been recently found. Royce, who is dying of cancer, wants Kinsey to find out who the real killer is so Bailey can be released.

As Kinsey begins to investigate, she discovers that Jean had been promiscuous so there are many who could h
Debbie
The best Kinsey Millhone yet. The story got fairly complex and, while, as usual, I did not identify the actual killer, I did identify correctly the "randy dude" (my terms, not hers). Woot, woot for that! Maybe one of these days I will identify the correct person as the killer.

It was also one of those rare books that, as I got into it, I didn't want to put it down.
Lena
Not my favorite of the series... but it definitely kept me guessing.
Diane
I really enjoy these books!
Susan
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, yes, I'm ticking these off at an amazing rate, and for those of you following my reviews carefully…sigh…no, I didn’t abandon Kinsey as promised to tackle my beckoning to-do list. I did, however, take time out from reading today for our Friday couples golf on the par 3 course where Don and I have a 3 handicap for this weekly event. Today…we posted even par!!! Hope that doesn’t mean our handicap for next week is 2.

For me, this was the most compelling of the alphabet series since “A” and “B.”
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Kinsey Millhone has a cold case on her hands. Seventeen years ago, Jean Timberlake was found dead on a beach. Her boyfriend, Bailey Fowler, went down for the crime. But he managed to escape. Now that he’s been caught again, Bailey’s father wants Kinsey to find Jean’s real killer. And in this small quaint town she’s in, Kinsey is quickly realizing that there’s a lot more secrets than people are first letting on.

Again, I enjoyed this book in audiobook because I find that there’s really no other w
Kathleen
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This might be my favorite yet. The story is just fine, with the usual surprises along the way and exciting ending. But what continues to hold my attention is the wonderful sense of place -- we can smell the salt on the wind, hear the whisper of the surf and feel the small-town vibe. And the dry, sly humor in little asides along with the main story-telling. Here is a paragraph that made me laugh, describing 'The Floral Beach Baptist Church (Floral Beach's only church, if you want to get technical ...more
LadyCroft86
Aug 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another exciting Kinsey Millhone mystery. In this one Kinsey is investigating a murder that is 17 years old and gets hired by the suspects father to look into what really happened. This one has a lot of suspects, basically a whole town full of people that could've done it. The family that hires Kinsey are real pieces of work, sometimes I don't know how Kinsey can manage to keep her mouth shut. Ori Fowler, the mother of the suspect, was a very annoying character. A stereotypical glimpse of what m ...more
Ed
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#6 in the Kinsey Millhone series.

Kinsey Milhone's latest adventure takes her to the small California town of Floral Beach, where she's been hired to investigate a 17-year-old murder. Though innocent of the crime, Bailey Fowler was coerced to confess to it; he escaped from prison soon after his sentencing and lived a quiet life under an alias until the cops picked him up on a fluke and discovered his convict status. Bailey's father Royce, now dying of cancer, hopes Kinsey will find the real murde
Angela
Nov 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The 6th book in Grafton's series, Kinsey is hired by a family who's son was accused of murdering his girlfriend over 10 years previously. While he was initially in prison for her murder, he escaped and made a life for himself, most recently being picked up because the identity he stole happened to have a warrant issued on it.

I still struggle with wrapping my mind around what year it is. I'll be reading along and everything meshes with the present, until Kinsey does something that reminds me we'r
Alphabet Murders: F 1 1 May 07, 2017 09:57AM
The Women's Myste...: F is for Fugitive 1 8 Aug 09, 2013 09:23PM
  • Till the Butchers Cut Him Down
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
Connect with Sue herself on Facebook! www.facebook.com/suegrafton

Received the Shamus Award, "The Eye" (Lifetime achievement award) in 2003.

Family History:

Father: C.W. Grafton, born 1909, third son of Presbyterian Missionaries, born and raised in China, educated Presbyterian College, Clinton, South Carolina; practicing attorney in Louisville, Kentucky with a 40-year specialty in municipal bonds. Au
More about Sue Grafton...

Kinsey Millhone (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • A is for Alibi (Kinsey Millhone, #1)
  • B is for Burglar  (Kinsey Millhone, #2)
  • C is for Corpse  (Kinsey Millhone, #3)
  • D is for Deadbeat (Kinsey Millhone, #4)
  • E is for Evidence (Kinsey Millhone, #5)
  • G is for Gumshoe (Kinsey Millhone, #7)
  • H is for Homicide (Kinsey Millhone, #8)
  • I is for Innocent (Kinsey Millhone, #9)
  • J is for Judgment (Kinsey Millhone, #10)
  • K is for Killer (Kinsey Millhone, #11)
“Lucky is the spouse who dies first, who never has to know what survivors endure.” 28 likes
“Pretending to be 'normal' is a lot harder than you think.” 28 likes