Start by marking “Our Triune God: Living in the Love of the Three-in-One” as Want to Read:
Our Triune God: Living in the Love of the Three-in-One

Our Triune God: Living in the Love of the Three-in-One

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  71 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews

Provides a pastor’s perspective for a fuller understanding of the saving, mysterious, practical, and glorious Trinity.

How are we to relate to a three-personed God? The idea of the Trinity may initially seem too abstract to understand, but the truth is that a deeper knowledge of God as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit has daily importance. Convinced that many Christians “have

Published April 7th 2011 by Crossway Books (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Our Triune God, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Our Triune God

Jimmy
Jan 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I was using this book as part of a discipleship with a brother at our church in which we were going over the doctrine of the Trinity and implications of the Trinity for the Christian life and worship. The size of this work is great for a small theological devotional, coming in at 114 page of content. This book is written by Philip Ryken and Michael Lefebvre, with Ryken being the better known author who is currently the senior minister at the historic Tenth Presbyterian Church and also president ...more
Kent
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: those who know little of the Trinity; new believers
Recommended to Kent by: Justin Taylor's blog
This is a good introduction to the Trinity. The authors discuss the concept of the Trinity, the various roles of the persons of the Trinity, and our responses to each of the persons.

What I appreciate about the book is that it highlights the relevance of the doctrine of the Trinity. Too many believers see the Trinity as a biblical teaching, but one that doesn't make much difference in their everyday lives. Bogus thinking.

Nonetheless, I was looking for more depth. The book is great for those who
Adam Shields
Jan 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Short review: This book is ok, but not great. It is primarily focused on the wrong things in my mind. Most discussion about the trinity is focused on humans and human salvation and the limits of what humans can know about the trinity. It doesn't touch at all on the social aspects of the trinity or explore how those social aspect should impact our ecclesiology or other human relationships. There are several good quotes and a couple of good ideas, but on the whole it seems to be a miss.

My longer r
Budi Kurniawan
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Clear, concise, easy to understand explanation on one of the hardest doctrine in Christianity, the doctrine of Trinity. This book provides straight-to-the-point concept, and it does shed light for me on my understanding of the Trinity. The concept it not illogical, it's just an analogical problem, because there is none like it in our worldly experience. This book also covers practical aspects on how do we relate exactly with Trinity in our daily Christian life.
Andrew Mcneill
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a short, concise and helpful overview of the Trinity. It is not a complex book but it is undeniably helpful in its simplicity yet simultaneous profundity. It gives the reader a fresh appreciation for the greatness of the Trinity and the cooperation of Father, Son and Holy Spirit in planning, purchasing and applying salvation. Very readable and insightful.
Brad
Jun 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Readable, encouraging and devotional, while also answering some common objections to the Trinity (cf. Chapter 2). Refreshing in its approach, the chapters focus on portions of Scripture that unpack the Trinity's relevance for life (Chapter 1 - Ephesians 1:3-14; Chapter 3 - John 13-17; Chapter 4 - Luke's Gospel).
Joshua Nuckols
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
Short book with solid theology, though the writing wasn't exactly stunning. The Trinity is a mystery, but this in no way makes it illogical. The reason for it's mysterious nature is the lack of trinitarian analogy in our created world.
Nehe
Mar 23, 2013 rated it liked it
A quick read; much of it was elementary. A bit repetitive throughout. Glad I didn't buy it. Not worth paying 15 bucks for such a <120 page book.

Maybe get multiple copies for your unitarian neighbors (Jews, Muslims or JW's) or polytheists (Mormons)
Drew Martin
Jun 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read and solid introduction to the Trinity. As the subject matter is dense, only certain areas were covered. But the areas Ryken does cover were given a thorough treatment. There is much to love about this book because of the glorious truths found within!
Bruno
Mar 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Brilliant book. Ryken is solidly theological but not dryly theological. He points us the wonder and glory of the triune God's commitment to us in salvation and the invitation we have to joyful intimacy with God in his joyful trinitarian fellowship.
Godly
Jun 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent book about the significance of understanding and loving the Triune God. The book goes through many texts to reveal the nature of the Trinity and its joint operation in the salvation of Sinners. Recommended.
Michael
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, trinity
Excellent introduction to the subject and a remarkable vision of the Trinitarian life. I can't believe it was only a 114 pages.
Anna
Mar 17, 2012 rated it liked it
A good introduction to the Trinity for a lay reader ... practical and devotional.
Mark Loughridge
Sep 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Pretty good introduction to the Trinity. Chapter 2 on the Mysterious Trinity was the stand out one for me. Would have been the go-to introduction book if Mike Reeves hadnt written 'The Good God'!
Kyle Lammott
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! Ryken presents the doctrine of the trinity in a very doxological nature.
Luana Ehrlich
rated it it was ok
Nov 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
207069
Philip Graham Ryken is Senior Minister of Tenth Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia, where he has preached since 1995. He is Bible Teacher for the Alliance of Confessing Evangelicals, speaking nationally on the radio program Every Last Word. Dr. Ryken was educated at Wheaton College (IL), Westminster Theological Seminary (PA) and the University of Oxford (UK), from which he received his doctorate ...more
More about Philip Graham Ryken...
“God is one; . . . this one God is Father, Son, and Holy Ghost; . . . the Father is the Father of the Son; and the Son, the Son of the Father; and the Holy Ghost, the Spirit of the Father and the Son; and . . . in respect of this their mutual relations, they are distinct from each other. (John Owen)1” 0 likes