Start by marking “Anything But Straight: Unmasking the Scandals and Lies Behind the Ex-Gay Myth” as Want to Read:
Anything But Straight: Unmasking the Scandals and Lies Behind the Ex-Gay Myth

Anything But Straight: Unmasking the Scandals and Lies Behind the Ex-Gay Myth

The real story behind "ex-gay" ministries and reparative therapy!

Nationally known activist Wayne Besen spent four years examining the phenomenon of "ex-gay" ministries and reparative therapies--interviewing leaders, attending conferences, and visiting ministries undercover as he accumulated hundreds of hours of research. The result is Anything but Straight: Unmasking the S
Published August 1st 2003 by Routledge

To ask other readers questions about Anything But Straight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anything But Straight

Anthony Venn-Brown
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I’m reading ‘Anything but Straight’ for the second time. For me that’s about the best vote of confidence I can give any book.

Wayne has done and excellent job in researching the exgay movement, history, programs and connections. He’s read the materials, interviewed people, gone to meetings undercover to make sure he has al the facts. His work is extremely valuable.

Having spent 22 years unsuccessfully trying to change my sexual orientation I know first hand, much of what he writes about. Therapy,
Erika Nerdypants
Disappointment all around. Besen writes sarcastically and in self-aggrandizing manner which irritated me right from the start. I had been forward to this book for several months, but in my humble opinion, Besen didn't deliver. Yes, he showed how fallible the leaders of the ex-gay groups are, but that's about it. There was little voice given to the people who have tried these reparative services, and the few that were mentioned were almost all men. It's strange, almost all studies on homosexual p ...more
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent expose of the ex-gay movement. You can tell the author did a great deal of research, interviewing many many ex-gay leaders as well as rank and file ex-gays and ex-ex-gays, as well as attending conventions, groups, and retreats undercover. really sums up the connection between Ex-gay groups and religious right quasi-hate groups as well as showing how these groups have astronomical (near universal, if not universal) failure rates.
Aaron
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
An educational and amusing look into ex-ministries. Their beginnings, convoluted history, random involvements, and inevitable ties with the strangest of the strange are all outlined in this page-turner. Though written in 2003, there is plenty of information in this book, making it definitely worth a read.
Sandi
Mar 21, 2008 added it
Shelves: homosexuality
A polemic against all things "ex-gay," I found it incredibly vitriolic towards people of faith. I recommend Straight to Jesus as an alternative.
Jendi
May 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Like his website TruthWinsOut.org, Besen's book provides a comprehensive expose' of so-called reparative therapy. It's a lively read, but something of a guilty pleasure, as his descriptions of the personal mannerisms and appearance of ex-gay leaders often shade into bitchiness.
Stina
Feb 20, 2008 rated it liked it
This book is a little too HRC, but it provides some important information on ex-gay ministries.
Emilie
Nov 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read, loaned it out to someone I didn't see again, but I hope she got as much out of it as I did.
Vicky
Alexander
Dec 23, 2017
Blake Kanewischer
Jan 01, 2013
rated it did not like it
Mar 19, 2013