Start by marking “100 Bullets: The Deluxe Edition Book I” as Want to Read:
100 Bullets: The Deluxe Edition Book I

100 Bullets: The Deluxe Edition Book I

(100 Bullets: The Deluxe Edition #1)

The first hardcover collection of the best-selling, Eisner Award-winning series from writer Brian Azzarello and artist Eduardo Risso. The first hardcover collection of the best-selling graphic novels series 100 BULLETS from the multiple Eisner Award-winning team of writer Brian Azzarello and artist Eduardo Risso.This dark and intriguing Eisner Award-winning series features ...more
Published October 18th 2011 by Vertigo (first published October 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Bullets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Bullets

Start your review of 100 Bullets: The Deluxe Edition Book I
Anne
Well.
100 Bullets wasn't for me.

description

From the description, I kind of thought I wouldn't like it, but you just never know. I put off reading some awesome stuff (Preacher & Planetary come to mind) simply because it didn't sound like my jam and then they knocked my socks off.

description

So, I've been slowly learning to broaden my horizons - yay!
Sadly, this was just...? No.
And it wasn't even the ugly art that did me in, because I really think I could have gotten used to it if I'd liked the story even a little bit. A
Kevin Kelsey
Dec 31, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
This is such a great concept, with kind of a cringy execution in my opinion.

The visual storytelling is wonderful. Pane-to-pane there is a lot happening that is easily missed if you're not paying much attention. But the dialogue, especially for black and latinx characters is handled so poorly, and all of the female characters are insanely male-gazy. I get that this is twenty years old now, and has to be seen through that lens, but it's still pretty disappointing.

But, wow, this story and concept
Sud666
Jul 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, comics
100 Bullets is a "gritty" crime noir story with a twist. Agent Graves is the twist. He shows up and hands you a suitcase. Inside is a gun, 100 bullets and a folder full of information about someone who has completely screwed you over. If you use the gun and kill them, then you will not be sent to prison nor prosecuted. In fact, the whole incident will just go away. That is the scenario that awaits each of the people visited by Agent Graves. From dead family to betrayal by close friends, each of ...more
Toby
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
One of the greatest works of crime fiction in any medium. - Chicago Sun-Times

For me as a first time reader of the work, that's a pretty big statement for Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso's 100 Bullets to live up to. After reading this deluxe collection of the first 3 volumes it didn't quite manage it but I can see where it might become a sweeping, multi threaded crime epic when viewed from the end. In that sense I am reminded of really great TV but surely only HBO would go near anything this vi
Donovan
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nope
I only got through a few issues before calling it. Talk about overhyped. Azzarello is very hit or miss for me.

The writing just feels like a white man doing an impression of Mexican gangbangers. Not once did I feel this language was authentic. And the situation, a newly released Latina is accosted by the FBI and given the hardware necessary to exact vengeance? Right. Tell me another one.

I've read a good amount of crime comics. Jason Aaron's Southern Bastards. Ed Brubaker's Criminal, Fatale, and
Sebastien
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is good in certain respects, but I didn't like it. I appreciate the ambition of weaving multiple story lines together in a rather elegant and interesting fashion that provokes a lot of questions and creates a lot mystery for the reader.

A mysterious agent by the name of Graves pops into the lives of varying people, offering each different individual a chance to execute revenge (murder) on people who have destroyed their lives or screwed them over. Who is this agent Graves, what are his moti
Ill D
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Gentlemen and Scholars
It took 453 pages but, I did manage to get through the first mega-volume of Azzarello/Risso’s beloved comic-noir. As epic as its vision portends, the thick page count is truly deserving of its Herculean appearance. Does it still amaze this critic ten years down the road? For the most part: yes.

The Film Noir aesthete of which its clearly derived has been amplified with a high pass filter that clearly and unabashedly avails of its Scarface lineage, which it proudly wears on its sleeve. Yet for all
Nicolo
Oct 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This hardcover is the first of five books that will collect in its entirety, the 100 Bullets work of Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso. This is my introduction to this critically and commercially acclaimed series from Vertigo Comics. It reads like a roadmap of American crime, as Azarello shows a deft understanding of how inner city crime from Midwest to East Coast. I initially thought this would a crime anthology showcasing different characters every story arc but Azzarello is dropping hints of ...more
L. McCoy
So... this is the comic series that is hailed as Vertigo’s masterpiece in crime stories. Why?

What’s it about?
A mysterious agent named Graves finds a bunch of people who he decides to give a gun and 100 bullets, the thing is... anything those people choose to do with those 100 bullets are things they will not get in trouble for so they can literally get away with murder. Pretty much it’s an anthology and all of the stories are connected through that.

Pros:
The second story in this book about the ba
Tori (InToriLex)

Find this and other Reviews at InToriLex

There's alot of issues and manipulations that occur, when people turn to and recruit broken people. This comic is very entertaining because there are constantly new characters and change in perspective. As the series goes on, you learn about the minute men and some underlying larger goal which may be behind Mr. Graves.

The characters are often attempting to carry on normal lives after being betrayed, filled wi
RG
Mar 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Theres something about this book. It has a really weird creep factor. Im glad I read it in the deluxe format as Im not sure I would have continued after Vol 1. The story unfolds with Agent Graves providing random citizens an opportunity for revenge or some type of personal justice in a sense. The people seem random at first and the plot seems a little disjointed. Further reading into the novel some characters return and we develop a little more interest or back story, especially the Minutemen. T ...more
Lono
Mar 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I can't begin to describe how much this book kicks ass. An epic, noirish crime tale that's got enough sadistic tough guys, seductively evil bitches, dangerous street thugs, and devious criminal masterminds to give Jim Thompson a hard-on. Dark, malicious, and violent, it's not to everyone's taste, but it ranks among my all time favorites. Azzarello's ability to write dialect and conversation is among the best and really helped suck me into his own personal version of perdition. Revenge is a corne ...more
David Schaafsma
Feb 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: gn-crime
So in many ways this is impressive: Brian Azzarello and Eduardo Risso do 100 issues in 100 months on deadline, doing all the story and pencilling by themselves, no subs. And it's an interesting premise for a crime story: What if you could get revenge for something terrible that happened to you and be assured you would not get caught for it. Agent Graves comes to several people with this offer, and also with a briefcase to give said revengers full of a gun and untraceable bullets and pertinent in ...more
Dorin
Apr 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It starts slow then it switches to some other apparently unimportant story. It pissed me off in the beginning, because it definitely was not what I would've expected. I'm not necessarily a fan of the noir or pulp fiction, and this is just that - and in the beginning it felt like it will be a set of completely unrelated stories, with one common character.

But then some threads start to come together. Dizzy Cordova reappears, with less of that heavy accent, and it starts being part of a more comple
Robert
Nice to see a creator given time to develop his story, not forced to rush the myth-making.
James DeSantis
Reading this I was sure I'd go with a 2 out of 5 but by the end I was intrigued enough to bump it up to a 3.

So basically it starts out with a guy names graves who gives you a gun with untraceable bullets and you can kill the person who has done you wrong. So for the following 459 pages it basically has a bunch of stories of different people all getting revenge or changing their minds or getting killed. By the end they all start to connect...kind of.

Good: The background story, who is graves, th
ΕιζΝιnΕ
DC is not exactly one of my favorite publishers, largely because of their shameless use of cheap materials, cutting every corner in order to maximize profit. Their typical 'Deluxe Edition' is just a regular hardcover, most of the time. Beneath the dust jacket you usually find a particle board cover, with the title pressure-stamped on the front and the spine. The paper is always a bit thinner and cheaper than what it should be. Worst of all, they charge more instead of less, even though they get ...more
Paul
Feb 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I found the art a little hard to get into.
Having only read the first Deluxe edition so far, I did find the story slow to begin.
My first thoughts were that I would easily get bored if it were only the story of people getting an opportunity for vengeance without consequence. Luckily, we do get a glimpse into the characters manipulating the strings after a few issues. Although I did find it very hard to choose who I was supposed to be rooting for amongst the characters.
I do look forward to reading
Josh
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The more I read, the more I like it!
Roxana Chirilă
The first time I tried to read this, the art and the dialogue combined into a whirlwind of wtf-ness which made me put the book down and leave it there for a long time. I eventually picked it up again because I kept hearing it gets better.

Well. It's complicated.

See, it initially felt like the story was about this young woman who was fresh out of jail and who was offered a gun with 100 untraceable bullets and proof that two corrupt cops killed her husband and child while she was in jail. Except,
Manish
I began reading 100 Bullets with the pre-conceived opinion that it’s an overrated and slightly hyped piece of work. The first half kept me convinced of my opinion with its clumsy art and repetitive plot. But midway, the pace quickened and the story began to finally keep me hooked. But I’m still not getting too excited. I’ll have to see how this pans out over the next four volumes.
Tomungo X
Aug 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is awesome a vignette of great crime stories all revolving around the briefcase and agent graves! The story ensues.
Aildiin
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I discovered Brian Azzarello through his new 52 Wonder Woman writing ( which is great by the way) and I was interested enough to look out for more of his work and it looks like 100 Bullets is actually the most important comic he has written. It is a long ( 100 issues) self contained comic that was published by Vertigo at the time where Vertigo was where all the cool stuff was happening ( Sandman, Fables, Y the last Man, DMZ,..).
This volume collects the first 20 issues of 100 bullets and is, lets
Christopher
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Deluxe edition includes Volumes 1-3, which is Issues 1-19.

The trouble with 100 Bullets is that Volume 1 (issues 1-5) doesn't expose you to enough of the overarching plot to make you want to read more. Readers aren't even introduced to even the concept of the Minutemen until Volume 2 (issues 6-14), during which you start getting the sense of how some of these smaller stories tie together. The two short stories in Volume 1 serve to introduce you to two characters, only one of which you see aga
Aaron
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An incredible combination of street crime and government conspiracy. I was completely hooked by the end of the first issue, and am still hooked 19 later. I know there's every possibility that the mysteries being developed won't pay off (I was a Lost fan), but right now their existence is enough to keep me coming back for more. Bleak, violent, and intensely intriguing.
Quintin Zimmermann
Feb 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This sprawling, overrated epic has an interest plot device, but it continually repeats, over and over, with diminishing returns.

With uninspiring, washed out artwork, this intertwining, multifaceted storyline grinds towards banality.
Andrew
Jul 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5/5
Brahm
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Plowed through this in two days, knowing nothing about it and loved it.

Surprised that many of the "top reviews" are quite negative. For me, coming in with no knowledge of the story/author/universe, this was a really exciting story with great characters and dialogue, and I thought the art style was awesome. Lots of individual story threads started and a couple starting to converge or cross by the end of Book I. I like the pace.

My only criticism is around how literally every female character is
Darth
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Super interesting, fast paced crime thriller. Compelling, if straightforward characters. The entire premise is intriguing too, the idea of revenge re-explored. And I do like me some revenge tales. The art is a bit contrived, but I do think the gritty, atmospheric nature of it really suits the story well. I love how it mixes all sorts of thrillers into one story arc, including my favorite--paranormal thrillers.

Will definitely be reading more of this tale.
Abdallah Mohamud
If you are fan of Jean-Pierre Melville or Tarantino's style you'll probably enjoy this series, or if you just like the neonoir style. The Minutemen was enough for me, and one of the reasons that made me look forward to the rest of story. Azzarello wrote a story that include a lot of characters and good stories. So I had to read the first book again when I got my hand on the complete series because it's been awhile since I read it.

I found out there was a spin-off for Lono, and I am looking forwa
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Scalped: The Deluxe Edition Book One
  • Kill or Be Killed
  • The Invisibles Book One Deluxe Edition (The Invisibles Deluxe Edition, #1)
  • Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Five
  • Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book One
  • Preacher, Book 2
  • Pulp
  • Judge Dredd: The Complete Case Files 01
Brian Azzarello (born in Cleveland, Ohio) is an American comic book writer. He came to prominence with 100 Bullets, published by DC Comics' mature-audience imprint Vertigo. He and Argentine artist Eduardo Risso, with whom Azzarello first worked on Jonny Double, won the 2001 Eisner Award for Best Serialized Story for 100 Bullets #15–18: "Hang Up on the Hang Low".

Azzarello has written for Batman ("B

100 Bullets: The Deluxe Edition (5 books)
  • 100 Bullets: The Deluxe Edition Book II