Start by marking “Rama: The Omnibus” as Want to Read:
Rama: The Omnibus

Rama: The Omnibus

(Rama #1-4)

At first, only a few things are known about the celestial object that has arrived in the galaxy and has been dubbed Rama by the astronomers observing it.

It is a huge cylindrical object, weighing more than ten trillion tons. And it is hurtling through the solar system at inconceivable speed. Then a space probe confirms the unthinkable: Rama is no natural object. It is,
Published November 1st 2011 by Gollancz (first published October 14th 1993)

Start your review of Rama: The Omnibus
Christopher Richmond-Jones
I would give this book ten stars if it were possible.
A friend brought me the first book (paperback) while I was in hospital back in 2003. I enjoyed it so much I got him to buy me the next two books. After leaving the hospital we couldn't find the next book in the series so I gave up.
A few years later while browsing amazon I came across them and ordered Book #4.
I then discovered this kindle omnibus, luckily I was in time to change the order and bought the omnibus and my very first Kindle.
Sandy
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
I loved the first in this series, "Rendevous with Rama". But the second left much to be desired. I felt it was preachy, overwritten and cliche. The characters were either irritatingly good or bad to the point of no redeeming features. I generally adore Arthur C Clarke, but I'd pass on this omnibus and just read the first novel, "Rendevous with Rama".
Jirnsum
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I reread this over the summer after first reading Rendezvous with Rama and Rama II when I was 16 or so. It was an interesting experience going through all the books again some 20 years later. I took completely different things from all four books than I did all those years ago.
Eeva Lancaster
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-reviewed
This series is a must read for scifi fans.
An abandoned spaceship arrives in the solar system... Need I say more? Aren't you already thrilled with what that represents?
Steverman
Nov 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
The first book was mind blowing, the second was written by someone who was not up to the task. I never even tried the last one, written by the same Gentry Lee. Skip it.
Andy
Mar 09, 2014 rated it liked it
First book - excellent. Rest...meh
Richard Spooner
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A seriously awesome sci-fi book. The imagination of Clarke and Lee is astounding. You won't want to put it down. A must read.
Clemens
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
This book holds all four Rama books, but only the first one is actually written by Clarke himself, the rest by some d-level author that just screws it all up.

Recommendation: Read only the first book, skip the rest.

Spoilers might be below

Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1): Five Stars

This one was written by Clarke and it is fantastic, amazing, awesome, well written, great story, good characters and all above and beyond.

Rama II (Rama, #2): Two Stars

Because the Omnibus does not tell you when one book
Nabil Hussain
Interesting and Passable Sci Fi

This omnibus was interesting to read as it differed slightly from the first book. The first book was a sci fi classic as it was written solely by Arthur C Clarke. The three remaing books was mainly written by Gentry Lee and edited by Clarke. The plot changed from a grand Sci fi start to include socio-political aspects of the characters involved. It was an interesting read enough for me to finish reading this Omnibus but did not feature the Sci-Fi epic that it could
Timothy Hughston
After re-reading Rendezvous with Rama and thoroughly enjoying it, Rama II was a bit of a disappointment, and the rest of the omnibus just got worse and worse. Far too long winded, and totally unlike ACC in its writing. I put this down to the co-author, who unlike Clarke, is obviously not a scientifically accurate Sci-fi writer. Too many technical errors for my liking. ACC could do no wrong fir me in the past, but I really could not wait to get the end of this. I truly believe I could have done ...more
Stephen Smith
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First book still as good as I remember from nearly 40 years ago. Man a small part of the uncaring galaxy. 5 stars
Second book 200 pages to loooong. Needed a editor to cut down the back story of every character. 2 stars.
Book a link to arrive at the last 2 books. One story split into 2 parts. Very inventive and involved. A little surprised at the reason for it all in the slightly rushed ending. 4 stars.
Vince
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An awesome and inspiring Quadrilogy

I read the original Trilogy as a teenager decades ago and recently felt the need to read it again. I did know of the the final part, Rama Revealed, until recently but it completed the series beautifully. What a marvellous story.
Nicki
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great believable sci fi about potential life on other planets. Easy to read and gripping. Cant ask for more!
Nadine
Dec 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
I found these books pretty hard going as they went on. I felt like I had to finish them because, a) it's Arthur C Clarke, and b) I heard so much about the Rama series. On the one hand, the different societies were interesting, the world is well described, but the characters were just very flat, and the books were strung out way too long. I actually came here looking for this book because I found it so bland. Read some different ACC, don't waste your time here, is my advice.
Jake Jackson
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Ponderous and dated, this was a major disappointment. I read his early books when I was young, he was a prophetic voice and there was much to discover in cosmology. The science is still interesting (although no longer wondrous) but the characters and the storylines are wooden at best and I found myself reading out of loyalty alone.
Peter Astbury
Sep 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm thrilled this series has been released on Kindle. A classic sci-fi read and great value having all four novels in one book. One of my favourite all time sci-fi series which I stumbled on completely by accident a few years ago.
William Middleton
Dec 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me - the first book had no boring parts. This book had a long beginning of boring background - I would have preferred it it had done during the subsequent plot development.
Chris Owen
Oct 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This amazing adventure captivated me. My personal hero came from this series - Richard Wakefield. Unforgettable characters.
Sveinn Adalsteinn
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Ioo Vilmos
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story line, adding more depth to the mystery of Rama, while at the same time exposing some other mysteries.

Definitely more involvement happened between humans and aliens. I liked it.
Bryant Waller
Nov 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Over all I thought it was a good book. Great beginning, got really slow in middle, then picked up and had a great finish and made me want to read the next book.
Darcy
Apr 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very exciting! I enjoyed how panoramic it was, while maintaining the intimacy of character development of the core family unit.
Corrie Strydom
Apr 12, 2015
Stuart Ball
May 18, 2019

• The Visitor: First Contact SF
  • The Element in the Room: Science-y Stuff Staring You in the Face (Festival of the Spoken Nerd)
  • Tau Zero
  • The Elenium: The Diamond Throne / The Ruby Knight / The Sapphire Rose (The Elenium, #1-3)
  • God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
  • Ibitsu
  • H.P. Lovecraft:  The Complete Fiction
  • Semiosis (Semiosis Duology, #1)
  • Permafrost
  • The Unsung (After the Galaxy #1)
  • Unsung Armada (After the Galaxy #2)
  • Colony Mars Ultimate Edition: Books 1-5 of the Highly Entertaining Hard Sci-Fi Thriller.
  • The Eden Paradox (Eden Paradox, #1)
  • Will Save the Galaxy for Food (Jacques McKeown, #1)
  • Mother Ship: An Alien Invasion Book
  • Mars (The Grand Tour, #4)
  • Fading Light (Fractured Light Trilogy #2)
  • Earth Song
Arthur Charles Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of

Rama (4 books)
  • Rendezvous with Rama (Rama, #1)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
  • The Garden of Rama (Rama, #3)
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)