Start by marking “Great Singers on Great Singing: A Famous Opera Star Interviews 40 Famous Opera Singers on the Technique of Singing” as Want to Read:

4.36  ·  Rating details ·  170 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Jerome Hines has interviewed 40 singers, a speech therapist, and a throat specialist to provide this invaluable collection of advice for all singers. This collection includes the commentary of Licia Albanese, Franco Corelli, Placido Domingo, Nicolai Gedda
Published July 1st 2004 by Limelight Editions (first published July 31st 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Great Singers on Great Singing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Singers on Great Singing

Anne
Jan 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm a singer, so this was automatically going to be fascinating to me. A lot of it was, but really, after thirty chapters of Hines asking each singer the exact same questions, I was a little bored. I know, I know, that's the point. He wanted to get each singer to define what those sticky ambiguous terms--"breath support," "open throat," "placement"--meant to them. But it still made for slightly tedious going towards the end (took me forever to get to Sills and Sutherland!). Certainly a valuable ...more
Pearlie
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I have not finished reading this book yet, but I thought I'd review it anyway, since I am not sure when I will finish it. And that is with the fact that I am kind of reading 9 books now at one go.

The book started off well, and it was quite interesting to read what the singers have to say about some of the basics of singing. The author, Jerome Hines, interviewed about 40 opera singers to write this book, a chapter for everyone of them. He tries to find out several common things, namely breathing
Rebecca
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
If you are a singer and studying classically, this is a must read. For Me, it was as if all my role model singers were coming to life as the people behind their voices. Behind every great voice there is hard work, difficulties and triumphs. Jerome Hines was also a lovely narrator throughout, bringing in personal side stories whenever it pleased him. Even for the singers I wasn't already familiar with, this certainly helped introduce me to their work and their music.

However, if you do not sing cl
Andrew Crane
Nov 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books on vocal technique. Jerome Hines, a famous operatic bass, has interviewed many opera singers (Pavarotti, Domingo, Rosa Ponselle, etc.) solely about their singing technique. It doesn't get bogged down in anatomy and technical language. It's just each person's view on how he or she sings. I have referred to it many times in my career, and always recommend it to students. Domingo and Pavarotti's descriptions of the tenor passaggio are fantastic, as is Corelli's disc ...more
Fritz
Dec 17, 2006 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Opera/Music lovers
Easy to read, filled with insights and anecdotes from some of the greatest singers in classical singing. Written by Jerome Hines, 6'6" Basso profundo, it is a must for any aspiring singer or opera lover. For the layperson it can shed light on the techniques and training that go into the vocal acrobatics performed by opera singers. Interviews with Pavarotti, Corelli, Domingo, Sills, Sutherland, et al.
Spook Harrison
Elegant in its simplicity, this book is a delightful and informational read that any music lover will enjoy. An informal interview format that allows some truly amazing artists to speak simply about their medium and techniques makes this book facile and accessible to all. Read it, and you are enriched.
Rachael
Aug 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music
Amazing! Where else can you find out what scales Pavarotti used for warming up before shows!!

These are older singers, most if not all have since passed away, discussing how they do the things they do( i.e. breathing. warm up, support, acting, etc.) My copy is full of highlights and notes. All voice students should read it.
Ruth King
Nov 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
There is so much wonderful information for singers in this book, my only wish is that it could have been tabled in an appendix at the end! But alas. Indispensable for anyone who loves singing and learning about it and those who have been successful at it.
James
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just fantastic, easily navigable and humorously written, Unlike newer books like Master Singers - that attempts to do the same thing but is not at all laid out well and presented in a more clinical and sterile way.
Jen
Jun 24, 2009 is currently reading it
Jerry Hines interviews some of the world's most famous opera singers on their ideas of breathing, support, placement, "open throat", scales, trainging, etc. It is fascinating reading how all of these singers have their own subjective terminology for the mechanics of singing.
Beka
Sep 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely amazing, ingenious book. All trained singers and especially voice teachers should own one. It is an invaluable resource of imagery and technique.
Amanda
Jul 25, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Serious singers
An intriguing look at various opera singers' view on how they sing. Not for beginners because they would get confused, but great for a serious student like myself.
Rob
Sep 19, 2008 rated it did not like it
Sadly, I was not mentioned in this book.
Edonahue
Paul Marchese
Nov 08, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Inner Voice: The Making of a Singer
  • A Soprano on Her Head: Right-Side-Up Reflections on Life and Other Performances
  • The Structure of Singing: System and Art of Vocal Technique: System and Art in Vocal Technique
  • Mozart's Women: His Family, His Friends, His Music
  • Feminine Endings: Music, Gender, and Sexuality
  • The Case of Wagner/Nietzsche Contra Wagner/Selected Aphorisms
  • The Perfect Wrong Note: Learning to Trust Your Musical Self
  • Stand Up Straight and Sing!
  • Galina: A Russian Story
  • Teach Yourself Philosophy (TYG)
  • Centering in Pottery, Poetry, and the Person
  • With Love From Booky (Booky, #2)
  • The Love Children (Classic Feminist Writers)
  • The Tristan Chord: Wagner and Philosophy
  • In the Rain with Baby Duck
  • Little by Little: A Writer's Education
  • Dawn of the Dreadfuls (Chapter 1)
  • The Art of Practicing: A Guide to Making Music from the Heart
“We should sing as we speak. I feel almost all vocal problems can be solved by shaping the singing technique to conform to the speaking technique. Singing is simply sustained speech.” 0 likes
“Our destiny is written for us.” 0 likes