Start by marking “Eating Mindfully: How to End Mindless Eating and Enjoy a Balanced Relationship with Food” as Want to Read:

This book introduces and adapts the concepts of mindfulness and acceptance to the observation and management of eating habits. The result is a series of exercises and meditations that reinforce healthy habits and lead to greater tranquility at meals.

The book describes the four foundations of mindful eating: mindfulness of the mind, the body, the feelings, and the thoughts.
Published April 9th 2003 by New Harbinger Publications (first published March 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Eating Mindfully, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eating Mindfully

Start your review of Eating Mindfully: How to End Mindless Eating and Enjoy a Balanced Relationship with Food
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not just another diet book; more like the anti-diet book. In fact, the author of this book would probably not approve of depriving yourself of the foods you love, because that can lead to binge-eating when your body and brain feel like they're not getting what they want. Instead, this book encourages you to listen to your body's cues. Enjoy your treats in smaller portions, using all five senses. Instead of cramming food into your mouth in a trance, stop to think about how it feels in your ...more
Lisa Vegan
Jun 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who has eating or body image issues, very mild to very severe
This book is an excellent adjunct to a book such as Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn or another general mindfulness book. While it stands on its own, both a general mindfulness book and, most importantly, a class or a therapy, is, in my opinion, the best combination of tools needed to deal with any type of mindless eating or other mindless behavior. There was nothing new for me in this book, as I expected, but unlike what I anticipated, I really enjoyed reading it, and feel that it’s a ...more
Traci
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
I have heard a lot about mindfullness but I've never really read up much on it. However, I have been aware that mindfullness is being present and in the moment with everything you do. This book, takes the idea of mindfullness and works on establishing a healthy eating lifestyle to help you lose or maintain weight. It's not so much a dieting book, but rather, a book that helps you deal with cravings, boredom eating, that kind of thing.

As someone that struggles with a few of the things presented
Jess Michaels
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
I really loved this book. Albers writes in a simple, non-judgmental way and does a nice introduction to mindfulness in general, as well as turning those concepts to food. Very helpful and adopting some of her methods is already making me see changes in myself.
Suzanne
Feb 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
Somewhere in the pages of this small book you will recognize the type of eater you are. That awareness may be the start of a change for becoming more aware of eating triggers, and finding greater balance in self-nourishment.

Insightful and thought provoking. Worth a look if your looking for a better relationship with food.
Darlene
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick and easy guide to meditative eating

Eating Mindfully puts into perspective many dilemmas and fears about mindlessly eating, and gives many helpful tips on making wiser, mindful and meditative approaches to eating
Shay
Jan 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
Extremely repetitive. Could have been a 5 page PDF.
Jennifer W
I found part 1 to be the least helpful. I don't know if it's because I have some concepts of mindfulness, or maybe I just couldn't identify with the people she was portraying. However parts 2 and on were much more helpful. I really liked the tip of "if you know you want to emotionally eat, do something mindful for 5 minutes, even if it's suck on a hard candy." A lot of my emotional eating is sweets, so a hard candy can give me that little bit of sugar while I also have a chance to examine what ...more
amy
Dec 10, 2011 rated it did not like it
I typically do not find myself drawn to self-help books, but my nutritionist suggested I borrow her copy in the hopes that it would give me a few additional tools to aid in my recovery.

Eating Mindfully is a quick read, and while I found a few useful points and exercises to practice, there was a recurring "theme" that bothered me. Some of the skill-building exercises suggest an ethnocentric approach to the healing process that takes place between those with unhealthy eating habits and food. It
Phaedra
Aug 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
I liked the basic information. It reminded me a bit of Women, Food & God by Geneen Roth at the beginning and I think because I happened to read that book first (a couple of years ago) I felt like some of Eating Mindfully to be repetitious information.

Further into the book, I DID find it repetitious. I get it. Pay attention. Slow Down. Don't assign emotions & good/bad to food. It's food. Eat when hungry, don't eat when you're not. I think the book could've been several 'chapters'
Taffy
Jun 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
First Line:

"Imagine for a moment that you are holding a bowl of chicken noodle soup."

Thus starts the voyage of eating mindfully. The chapter headings tell the reader what they will learn:

Mindful of the mind

Mindful of the body

Mindful of the feelings

Mindful of the thoughts

Mindful eating motivations

As the reader learns the different ways s/he appraoaches food and eating, it gets easier to pick the right foods. Pay attention to what your body is telling you.
Ryn
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Clear, simple, and innovative.
Contains many activities, techniques, and directives that are useful in my therapy groups.
Of all the books I have read about coping with and recovering from eating disorders and disordered eating patterns, this is one of the best.
Molly
Aug 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
Good sound advice with a sprinkle of Buddhism. Easier said than done!
Ernest Bonasera
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
I have been very intrigued with the concept of eating mindfully. I felt this book was a great step in and did a fantastic job in the way if cut up and helped me understand my feelings, the process, and the potential outcomes.

I read the second edition that has some added sections and appreciated how it brought everything together and created an easy-to-reference guide that is easy to refer back to as I work towards eating mindfully.

I also think this book goes beyond eating. I think the same
Tiffany Curl
May 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
I couldn't even finish this book as there is an underlying message of fat shaming. I really kept trying as I think we could all benefit from tips to become more mindful around food; however the constant reference to weight loss as the end result was very irritating. In reality, not everyone who listens to hunger/fullness cues and eats mindfully will lose weight... some of us naturally have a higher set point. I can't speak to the entire book, but at least in the first several chapters, the ...more
Shalyn
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
I didn't find anything new here, and I think it might have been more helpful if the author had addressed overeaters and undereaters in separate books, but I like that the book is laid out in quick lessons (for lack of a better word). Each comes with a skill-building exercise or two, and doing basically one lesson and working on one skill each week will take about a year to complete. Normally, I wouldn't spread reading such a short book out over such a long time, but developing mindfulness isn't ...more
Ghassan Samaha
May 16, 2018 rated it did not like it
Eating is for me is about support and presence. For example: If I am hosting my dear guest, and when food on the table, then showing a hospitable eye means he will finish the tables. On the other hand, If I am mean to my host, Then he might look me! and if he looks at me I will lose. (Both weight and appetite).
Lizzie
May 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I thought I would like this more than I did. I found it to be a little tedious. It's mostly a list of suggestions without any connection to evidence based practices or where to start. It felt overwhelming and unhelpful.
Kimber
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Nothing too mind-shattering and nothing really that engages you with the material. If you are new to the art of mindfulness, there are other better sources and you could simply apply it to eating and being tuned in to your body. I was looking for something of a more inspirational nature.
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: didn-t-finish
Good information and principles that I mostly agree with, but it was SO repetitive I couldn’t work up the motivation to finish. Also I didn’t like the narrator of the particular audio book I had on loan.
Adrienne
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
The content, though helpful, was extremely repetitive. The book could have been 4 chapters long and been perfect.
Marcey Rader
Apr 03, 2018 rated it liked it
This book might be rated higher by others who have not already explored eating mindfully. I learned a few new nuggets of information, like sucking on a hard candy without biting it when I feel the urge to snack mindlessly (while not doing anything else at the same time). She divides people up into different types of mindless eaters. I was able to see a few scenarios where I know I eat mindlessly, like at family events that last all day and I get bored. My issue with this kind of book is that a ...more
K
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, food
I have just purchased this book for my personal collection and reference. It has tons of activities and exercises that I think will help with the mindful eating.
Jessica
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
It was okay.. had some good parts and some wonky ones.
Marian
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent start for anyone wanting to incorporate mindful eating into their lives.
Rae
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-issues, 2018
A Buddhist approach to food. Almost anti-diet.
Melanie
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding guide!! A must for conscious eating and living.
Sandy Taggard
Feb 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Redundant and mostly logical
Kelly Martinez
I'm learning mindful eating books just make me crazy. Not for me at this point in time. DNF @40%.
Shaina
Jul 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read. The mindfulness concepts in this amazing book can be applied to many accepts of life. What makes this book such a gem is how easy and simple the solutions can be applied.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Mindless Eating: Why We Eat More Than We Think
  • Savor: Mindful Eating, Mindful Life
  • Intuitive Eating: A Revolutionary Program That Works
  • Mindful Eating: A Guide to Rediscovering a Healthy and Joyful Relationship with Food
  • There Is Nothing Wrong with You: Going Beyond Self-Hate
  • Cozy: The Art of Arranging Yourself in the World
  • The Joy of Half a Cookie: Using Mindfulness to Lose Weight and End the Struggle with Food
  • Get Out of Your Mind and Into Your Life: The New Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
  • Are You Fully Charged?: The 3 Keys to Energizing Your Work and Life
  • The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite
  • Slim by Design: Mindless Eating Solutions for Everyday Life
  • Rapt: Attention and the Focused Life
  • The Coma
  • Less: A Visual Guide to Minimalism
  • Fear-Free Food: How to ditch dieting and fall back in love with food
  • The Legacy: An Elder's Vision for Our Sustainable Future
  • Attention Management: Breaking the Time Management Myth for Unrivaled Productivity
  • One Drum: Stories and Ceremonies for a Planet
Dr. Susan Albers is a psychologist at the Cleveland Clinic and the author of nine books. Her work has been quoted in O, the Oprah Magazine, the Wall Street Journal, Self Magazine and Natural Health. She provides mindful eating lectures at women's groups, organizations and colleges. Dr. Albers has been a guest on NPR and Dr. OZ T.V. show. www.eatingmindfully.com. Be a facebook fan ...more