Start by marking “Right Ho, Jeeves: A Wooster & Jeeves Comedy” as Want to Read:
Right Ho, Jeeves: A Wooster & Jeeves Comedy

Read Book* *Different edition

Right Ho, Jeeves: A Wooster & Jeeves Comedy (Jeeves #6)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  19,454 Ratings  ·  1,202 Reviews
When Tuppy tells his fiancée that her hat makes her look like a Pekingese, she huffily calls off their engagement. But love is in the air for Gussie Fink-Nottle. He abandons his beloved newts to court the new object of his affections, Madeline Bassett. And when things go astray, Jeeves is on hand to save the day.
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published July 19th 2011 by AudioGO (first published October 5th 1934)

To ask other readers questions about Right Ho, Jeeves, please sign up.

Vigil Please don't go out of your way to read in chronological order; it's not only not necessary at all, but if you read the wrong thing first you might…morePlease don't go out of your way to read in chronological order; it's not only not necessary at all, but if you read the wrong thing first you might never get around to trying P.G. Wodehouse again (his wittiness and overall quality were rather inconsistent) and that would be a tragedy. This is a great book and a great place to start. (less)

Bill  Kerwin

This is almost as funny as The Code of the Woosters, which is saying a lot, since Code is the funniest book ever written by anybody anywhere. The plot isn't important: as usual, misunderstandings and peevishness disrupt the general mood of an old English country house, lovers are parted and social bonds are threatened, but by the end--thanks to the inimitable Jeeves-- tranquility is restored, couples are reunited, and--most important of all--aunts are placated.

The justly famous climax where a t
Algernon
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015

Who needs expensive Freudian psychiatrists when you can have this:

duckie

The discovery of some toy duck in the soap dish, presumably the property of some former juvenile visitor, contributed not a little to this new and happier frame of mind. What with one thing and another, I hadn't played with toy ducks in my bath for years, and I found the novel experience most invigorating. For the benefit of those interested, I may mention that if you shove the thing under the surface with the sponge and then let
Jason Koivu
Nov 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy, wodehouses, humor
Bertie Wooster takes the reins from his gentleman's gentleman Jeeves, who had everything well enough in hand, and soon everything's gone pear-shaped, if that's the expression I'm looking for.

Bertie's well-intentioned schemings upset his aunt and uncle's brilliant French chef, who gives notice, which upsets everyone's gastric juices! Meanwhile his meddling upon a friend's behalf almost divorces Bertie himself from his beloved bachelorhood, egads!

When one comes to the realization that they are a
Dan Schwent
Feb 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wodehouse, 2012
The 2012 re-read
Gussie Fink-Nottle is in love with Madeline Bassett but can't seem to talk to her. Madeline Bassett is in love with Gussie Fink-Nottle but thinks Bertie Wooster wants to marry her. Bertie's cousin Angela was engaged to Tuppy Glossop but they had a bust-up over whether or not Angela saw a shark. Can Jeeves put them all back together? He might have been able to, had he and Bertie not had a falling out over Bertie's white mess jacket...

First off, this review will hardly be unbiased
Nandakishore Varma
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, wodehouse
In 2012, I was elected the Vice President of our college alumni association here in the UAE. I was to take charge at our annual get-together: at the same event, I presented an ottamthullal, a satirical dance-drama which was a runaway hit. What with all the celebratory euphoria, I imbibed a little too much of the happy juice in the parking lot outside the venue (drinks were not allowed in the hall) and before I knew it, I was pickled to the gills.

You can see me with a beatific smile as I took the
Apatt
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“This dashed difficult problem of where to begin it. It's a thing you don't want to go wrong over, because one false step and you're sunk. I mean, if you fool about too long at the start, trying to establish atmosphere, as they call it, and all that sort of rot, you fail to grip and the customers walk out on you.”

Bertie Wooster, in spite of being a silly ass, has a way with words. His first person narrative is a joy to read, it does help that he has P.G. Wodehouse to write on his behalf. He is r
Nikki Nielsen
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**WOOSTERS' GUIDE**
(as opposed to boring old Webster's guide)

*Woosters are men of tact, and have a nice sense of host obligations.

*Even when displaying the iron hand, Woosters like to keep the thing fairly matey.

*When woosters put their hand to the plough, they do not readily sheath the sword.

*Woosters are fair minded, and make allowances for men parading through London all night in scarlet tights. (my favorite)

*Woosters like to have their story ready.

*A Woosters' word is his bond.

*Woosters ar
Diane
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a delight! Truth be told, Wodehouse saved me during a long and boring meeting yesterday. I was stuck in the auditorium for hours, but luckily I had "Right Ho, Jeeves," downloaded on iBooks. Soon I was smiling and trying not to giggle too loudly.

In Right Ho, Bertie Wooster manages to bungle things severely with two different couples who are staying at his aunt's house, and even accidentally gets engaged to a silly girl who talks of fairies and stars: "I don't want to wrong anybody, so I
Jessica
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, own, new-favorites
Every line was perfection. I kept laughing out loud and looking for someone to read bits too, but alas, there was no one who appreciates this the way I do at hand. The real tragedy, though, is realizing that I will never have friends with awesome names like Tuppy Glossop, Pongo Twistleton, and Gussie Fink-Nottle!
Frederick
Jun 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those wishing to read funny books.
Shelves: humor, novels, wodehouse
Those starting to read P. G. Wodehouse should start with this novel, which is sometimes called BRINKLEY MANOR. It is the immediate predecessor to Wodehouse's most perfect novel, THE CODE OF THE WOOSTERS.
He wrote this in his mid-fifties. It was something like his fortieth novel. He literally wrote about seventy novels, all of them extremely light, the vast majority of them humorous. (His very early novels were about cricket-players at prep-school.) RIGHT-HO, JEEVES features P. G. Wodehouse's mos
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Description in wrong language 4 59 Dec 15, 2016 02:01PM
Goodreads Librari...: Scrambled ISBNs 4 152 Aug 17, 2012 10:12PM
  • The Worshipful Lucia (Lucia, #5)
  • Three Men in a Boat and Three Men on the Bummel
  • Jeeves and the Wedding Bells (Jeeves, #16)
  • The Napoleon of Notting Hill
  • The Brandons
  • The Collected Short Stories of Saki
  • The Complete Yes Prime Minister
  • Decline and Fall
  • The Hippopotamus
  • The Provincial Lady in London
  • Still William (Just William, #5)
  • The First Rumpole Omnibus
  • Birds, Beasts and Relatives (Corfu Trilogy #2)
  • Wodehouse: A Life
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...

Jeeves (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1)
  • The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves, #2)
  • Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3)
  • Very Good, Jeeves! (Jeeves, #4)
  • The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7)
  • Joy in the Morning (Jeeves, #8)
  • The Mating Season (Jeeves, #9)
  • Ring for Jeeves (Jeeves, #10)
  • Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit (Jeeves, #11)
“I don't want to wrong anybody, so I won't go so far as to say that she actually wrote poetry, but her conversation, to my mind, was of a nature calculated to excite the liveliest of suspicions. Well, I mean to say, when a girl suddenly asks you out of a blue sky if you don't sometimes feel that the stars are God's daisy-chain, you begin to think a bit.” 67 likes
“Gussie, a glutton for punishment, stared at himself in the mirror.” 65 likes